CAP 6 CAP 6 - Concept Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, I deleted it. Read the OP more carefully:
Also, please refer to the latest announcement that I just posted, "Want to Contribute to the CAP Project? Read this first!". In it, I specifically mention that any posts (In this case, concepts) that do not follow the rules of the OP will be deleted. Next time, if you find your post deleted, don't ask about it and then make a duplicate of the deleted post, it's incredibly annoying.

Thanks for letting me know.

It was mentioned in the rules that posting movesets wasn't allowed, but suggesting one move that was the main point of the concept, was.

In this case, I see the low stats as the main point of the concept and I thought I couldn't leave it out when describing my idea.

I read through the rule regarding stats and stat spread:

* Specific stat bias, base stats, or base stat ratings are not allowed. It is acceptable to use descriptive phrases like "fast", "bulky", "strong attacker", etc -- since there are a variety of ways a pokemon can fit those descriptions without specifically requiring certain stats. But, do not use overly-specific descriptions that would narrowly constrain the pokemon's base stat spread.

I'm sorry if you saw my description as against the rules, but how should I do if its low stats are the basis of the entire concept? Is it ok if I just call it "very weak"?

Confusion Abuser
Description: A pokemon that specifically uses confusion to defeat opponents.

Explanation: Currently, WoW, T-Wave, and Toxic are used on virtually every wall. However, Confusion is seldom seen on any pokemon not named No Guard Machamp. Confusion is generally seen as inferior due to the fact that the opponent can get rid of it by swiching out. An OU viable Confusion user could psuedo-phaze with Confusion, or even deny the opponent the opportunity to switch out a confused pokemon at all.

Pokemon such as Heatran and Scizor are so powerful, and are not hurt by Toxic (and in the case of Heatran, WoW.) With the downgrading of hypnosis' accuracy and the lack of any good freeze move, Confusion is and option to slow these two down. Confusion could also be paired with T-Wave/Toxic so you could counter Salamence and Zapdos as well. Confusion will also force DDMence and SDScizor to retreat, so not to get hit with boosted confusehax. Parafusion, while being somewhat unreliable, effectivly cripples the most commonly used pokemon.
This is very similar to Ria's cripplemon concept back on the first page. That mentioned Paralysis and Confusion, and I believe that it can be viable along with Attract, Substitute and other moves which are meant to give your opponent the least chance to hit as possible.

Name: OU Ditto
Description: A pokemon that changes based on the opponent.

I've always liked ditto, but it just can't pull off what it was meant to do: Use the opponent's pokemon to it's advantage. A pokemon that could pull this off would be awesome. (I know that there is a fancy way to reason this besides "It would be awesome", but my brain is absolutely dead. My apologies.)
As to Tennisace's comment about no description as to how it would effect the metagame:

I think a pokemon that gains power based on the opponent would be very interesting to counter. If it is good enough, and becomes a commonly used pokemon, (which is the whole point of CAP I believe, to not just sit on the sidelines while the "real" pokemon battle) than most teams are going to carry a counter to CAP 6. However, if the opponent is not using CAP 6, then they're stuck with a useless counter to pokemon that's not being used. Therefore, A delicate team build would have to be used.

Not sure if that came out right, but hopefully I got the point across ^_^

Bass

Brother in arms
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnus
People really need to read the new announcement I posted...

Well, this is excessively annoying. My concept gets deleted, and I have no idea why. I'd improve it to meet the criteria, but since it's simply gone with no explanation, I'm not really sure how. Also, there was content in that post commenting on another's concept submission, which is now also gone.

Considering that I'm fairly certain mods can edit posts, why not just edit a message into every offending post of why it's unacceptable?
Why are you asking the mods to tell you why? If you can't figure out how your concept was against the rules, then either don't bother posting or PM one of the mods to review it privately, and we will tell you. This thread is quite messy to begin with, and we do not need it clogged by invalid concepts.

However, I should also mention that we will delete concept submissions if they are flat out incomprehensible. I stress that you all take the time to come up with a good concept. The submission might be short, but coming up with a good concept takes a lot of thought.

Thanks for letting me know.

It was mentioned in the rules that posting movesets wasn't allowed, but suggesting one move that was the main point of the concept, was.

In this case, I see the low stats as the main point of the concept and I thought I couldn't leave it out when describing my idea.

I read through the rule regarding stats and stat spread:

I'm sorry if you saw my description as against the rules, but how should I do if its low stats are the basis of the entire concept? Is it ok if I just call it "very weak"?
Simple. Come up with a concept that isn't so stat dependent. The previous winning concepts, "Pure Utility" and "Break the Mold" were very lenient in this regard.

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
As to Tennisace's comment about no description as to how it would effect the metagame:

I think a pokemon that gains power based on the opponent would be very interesting to counter. If it is good enough, and becomes a commonly used pokemon, (which is the whole point of CAP I believe, to not just sit on the sidelines while the "real" pokemon battle) than most teams are going to carry a counter to CAP 6. However, if the opponent is not using CAP 6, then they're stuck with a useless counter to pokemon that's not being used. Therefore, A delicate team build would have to be used.

Ok. But how does that help deal with specific metagame threats? Does that improve the metagame in any way? Does your concept bring something to the metagame that we need and don't have? I'm trying to get everyone to think here. If your concept can't answer those questions, then I say revise it. (Ps: Your concept is pretty cool, and basically needs a bit of a tweak in the right direction.)

gec

pharos
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
This a good idea, except change the freaking name please, it sounds like masturbate! Also if you have a Pokemon with great *everything* how does it lure counters won't they be afraid and not even switch in or they will switch out?
I didn't mean it would have great everything, just one of those aspects. Preferably movepool. Think of it as Lucario for example. Lucario has such a big movepool to use in it's Swords Dance set, that when you use one move over another, a new counter is made. For example If one chooses to use Stone Edge over Ice Punch for Zapdos and Gyarados, Gliscor is a counter. If it uses Extremespeed over Bullet Punch, it isn't hitting Gengar anytime soon. Therefore, it will be able to "suprise" it's 'counter'.

I'll edit my original post to reflect this.

And it is meant to sound like "masturbate" :toast:

Name: Status Blocker
Description: A Pokemon that would be able to shield it's partners from harmful status effects. Such a Pokemon should also be able to counter common status-ers such as Blissey, Breloom, and Dusknoir.
Damnit...I have to give you congrats on submitting an idea I was planning on submitting if I knew this was happening earlier =/. I support this idea and pray to God that it make it to the poll.

Name: Test the Limits
Description: A Pokemon designed to see what makes a Pokemon Uber and/or Broken and to find out how far one can go before becoming ridiculously stupid.

Explanation: In the past, people would constantly cry out bullshit "This Pokemon is broken" or "It's soo Uber it's not even funny" when the Pokemon in question hardly became broken in anyway. I personally want to put an end to this right now by creating this so-called "broken" Pokemon and to see how broken one could get before being ridiculous.

Ok. But how does that help deal with specific metagame threats? Does that improve the metagame in any way? Does your concept bring something to the metagame that we need and don't have? I'm trying to get everyone to think here. If your concept can't answer those questions, then I say revise it. (Ps: Your concept is pretty cool, and basically needs a bit of a tweak in the right direction.)
(Yay!)

I guess what I'm trying to say is that my CAP6 poses a threat that can only be answered by a few pokemon that aren't useful in any way. Now, assuming CAP6 isn't used on all teams (a given), it adds a possible threat. Its a gamble to include a counter pokemon, because you may be wasting a slot. You shoudln't lose if you don't use a counter though, just put you at a disadvantage.

Name: Vampire
Description: A pokemon who utilizes life-draining moves to its benefit.

Well, moves like Giga Drain and such just suck, no pun intended =P. A poke that could use these types of moves with a custom abillity and even a new kind of "Bite attack" could be useful in walling because of its self healing. Typing could also prove useful in this "Special kind of walling"

tennisace

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
@G_T: I don't think that's a good idea really, we don't need people coming on the server and laughing at how broken the new Pokemon is. At the moment, its really not that great an idea.

@G_T: I don't think that's a good idea really, we don't need people coming on the server and laughing at how broken the new Pokemon is. At the moment, its really not that great an idea.
They're going to be people that would laugh at us regardless on what we did, making some near Uber Pokemon isn't going to destroy the reputation of the project anymore than what Syclant and Revvy did. Now if it did destory CAP rep's then can I ask you something, when would it be a good time to throw this idea back onto the table? The main purpose of that concept is research via expanding our understanding on what makes a Pokemon overpowering and how much you can go before doing so. That seem like something CAP would do in it's quest of balancing out the metagame.

There isn't supposed to be a really good trap passer. That'd be waaaaaaay too cheap.
That's a pretty subjective argument, I didn't say I wanted an amazing trap passer, just one good enough to be OU. What it can trap depends on a great variety of factors, including typing, speed, ability, and defenses. Those can be tailored appropriately to create a balanced pokemon.

tennisace

That's a pretty subjective argument, I didn't say I wanted an amazing trap passer, just one good enough to be OU. What it can trap depends on a great variety of factors, including typing, speed, ability, and defenses. Those can be tailored appropriately to create a balanced pokemon.
The real question to ask is: Does the metagame at this moment need a trap passer? I think that there are other things that we should address first, such as things like Heatran and Zapdos running rampant.

Edit: @G_T

Wouldn't something VERY broken give us a better idea of what things like overcentralization are? Because you can't separate borderline ubers without a good idea of what something like that is; that's the only reason we should make anything close to an uber. And as Bass said, we're only catering to OU.

Wow, some of these concepts are quite interesting, though I haven't seen anything too "omg thats a good idea," or if I have, it sounds cool but seems pointless.

ALSO; no love for my concept, well, guess I better get thinking for CaP7. :)

Lets throw this in:
Name: Tier-Tossup
Description: Something that can handle top tier threats but falls to some lower pokemon

I am rather sick of the same group of Pokemon coming again and again. This could enrich the metagame by bringing some lesser seen Pokes into the OU area while reducing spammage of the EXTREMELY overused Pokes (and you know who I'm talking about..)
I think this is a great concept actually. It could do with a better name that is more simple to understand and it could do with being re-written to be more clear and concise.

Obviously very similar to Hyra's Decentralizer but I would say that simply countering a couple of the top 5 OUs isn't as good for the metagame as specifically encouraging more usage of some BL/UU pokemon. It would take Alot of sophistication to pull this off though. If we could do it, it would be a very impressive feat.

That's not really how it would turn out, I think, if it really were anything like Ditto.

Ditto (D/P) - Smogon University said:
Ditto's best counter is a little thought. Get Ditto to Transform into something that another one of your Pokémon counters 100%, and then send in the counter. You'll want to think twice before sending in a Pokemon with Spikes, Stealth Rock, or Toxic Spikes, though.

Name: OU Ditto
Description: A pokemon that changes based on the opponent.

I've always liked ditto, but it just can't pull off what it was meant to do: Use the opponent's pokemon to it's advantage. I think a pokemon that gains power based on the opponent would be very interesting to counter. If it is good enough, and becomes a commonly used pokemon, (which is the whole point of CAP I believe, to not just sit on the sidelines while the "real" pokemon battle) than most teams are going to carry a counter to CAP 6. However, if the opponent is not using CAP 6, then they're stuck with a useless counter to pokemon that's not being used. Therefore, A delicate team build would have to be used.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that my CAP6 poses a threat that can only be answered by a few pokemon that aren't useful in any way. Now, assuming CAP6 isn't used on all teams (a given), it adds a possible threat. Its a gamble to include a counter pokemon, because you may be wasting a slot. You shoudln't lose if you don't use a counter though, just put you at a disadvantage.

Revised enough for ya?

That's not really how it would turn out, I think, if it really were anything like Ditto.
So a pokemon with moves that beat itself can beat ditto. However, this pokemon is NOT ditto. I guess the title puts you into a wrong mindset. My concept is a pokemon that gains power based on the opponent's power. Therefore, a pokemon that beats itself will be beaten by CAP6.

tennisace

Just one question: What kind of change are we talking about? Transform? New ability? Because there really is no way to "change" based on the opponent outside of those.

Name: The Unpredictable Annoyer
Description: A pokemon that can annoy the opponent in different ways. This pokemon would be able to do its job at being annoying but not be predictable.

Think about A toxicstalling, subseeding, no guard dynamicpunching pokemon rolled into one. Could annoy in many different ways but cant do it all at once. This pokemon could be a weak attacker or have some sort of limitation from its ability or movepool to stop it from actually killing something, but be annoying and helping the rest of the team to sweep.

Wouldn't something VERY broken give us a better idea of what things like overcentralization are? Because you can't separate borderline ubers without a good idea of what something like that is; that's the only reason we should make anything close to an uber.
Fundamentally speaking that's what my submission is all about, creating a borderline Uber to see what it takes to become a full-fledge Uber. Skymin was and probably still believed to be near Uber, Syclant and Revenankh to some extent are believed to be near-Uber at one time or another. Garchomp was recently pushed to Ubers for reasons seldom few people care to explain. If a pokemon suddenly becomes Uber after like a year being used in OU, GF must have did something right when creating a near Uber pokemon.

Actually, got a better one

The Atomic Bomb

Description: A Pokemon that can strike fear to even its own counters. Also known as a BL/OU version of Deoxys-A.

Yeah, I've been scrolling back a few pages and I found this in the CAP5 Concepts section (I believe Fishin came up with the idea earlier). This was one of the few good ones (or at least in my mind). I'm hoping that no-one steals this by the time I actually post it.

Now, about the Pogemon itself... unlike some of the other Pokemon, such as Lucario, Infernape or even Gyarados, this one needs to be able to threaten as many of the others as possible even if the opposing player knows its exact moveset. It doesn't need to garauntee a kill though (and it probably shouldn't, otherwise it'll end up being Uber, which is the last thing we need), but it should force the player to predict right if he/she would rather not sacrifice a PKMN.

Some things that can help it acheive its goal are: good attacking STABs (Fire, Ice, Fighting, Ground and Rock come to mind), powerful moves (unless this somehow gets Truant, Hyper Beam and friends don't count), high offensive stats (from either or both sides of the spectrum) and enough speed to catch up with the majority of the top OU sweeper. Doesn't need all of them, but they will all play a key part.

TehPiplupMan: Y'know, I saw yours, and thought it was a good idea, but as I was coming up with my own idea, I overlooked the coolness factor. As someone who, against all better judgement, incorperates UU's into all of my competitive teams, I fully support this idea, as well as my own and the OU gimmick.

X-Act

np: Biffy Clyro - Shock Shock
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Just posting that I've seen quite a few interesting concepts here so far. Hopefully CAP6 will end up being one of them.

Just one question: What kind of change are we talking about? Transform? New ability? Because there really is no way to "change" based on the opponent outside of those.
Well, A new attack or ability, or transform, are pretty much the only things that could do this yes. But that's still not very defining. And it's not as though I'm saying "The ability/attack has to do specifically -this-", I've left it rather open-ended.

OK, I'm revising OU DITTO, Should I deletethe old OU ditto to post this, or is leaving it there fine?

Name: Shapeshifter
Description: A pokemon that drastically changes it's appearance/attacks/type/stats/SOMETHING (evolution line???) based on the opponent's active pokemon.

Now, I think there are a lot of ways this could work. First of all, this transformation could be an attack or an ability. Second, Almost anything could be changed. A few examples of shapeshifter pokemon are these:

Ditto/mew, transforms appearance,attacks, and stats, based on the opponent with an attack.

Kecleon, Changes type when attacked using an ability.

Porygon/2/Z, using download, changes into a special attack/attack sweeper depending on the opponent's weakness using an ability

Luxray/Nidomen, With the ability rivalry changes it's stats based on the opponent's gender

Gardevoir/porygon/2, gain a new ability using trace to copy the opponent's

I think there is severe wiggle room in designing this idea.
Just one example of something that we could make using my idea:
(this is just an example.) A ghost type shapeshifter pokemon with a new attack called "Fear". It works like transform, but instead of transforming into the opponent, it transforms into a pokemon with the best stat spread for combatting the opponent (150 Atk if the opponent has a lower defense, 150 SP atk if the opponent has a lower special defense, etc.), changes it's type to the type that is super effective against the opponent, and gains 3 extra moves of that type.

Now, I know that the above is extremely inplausible, (Not to mention a pain in the ass to code I presume.) But it just shows what kind of variance is availible with my concept.

How would this effect the metagame? Here's how.

Shapeshifter requires a counter that would not work in other situations. If every other team carries an otherwise-useless Shapeshifter counter, it will create more team variety. Now, carrying a complete counter, a pokemon that is absolute shit otherwise (Male combee, etc.), is a little bit extreme. However, carrying a pokemon that can deal at least a little damage, may be a safe bet. so if every other team carries a sorta counter to CAP6, that means one out of twelve pokemon will be a counter, such as a BL/UU pokemon. This would add a great amount of variety to the metagame.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)