CAP 8 CAP 8 - Part 10a - Name Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Voltron makes me laugh cause he reminds me of my childhood when I would run home from school to watch VOLTRON! But I don't see a pokemon in the artwork that combines to. Maybe we could have it so that five of them can merge and form Voltron?

Joking aside Voltron certianly doesn't sound bad, even if it is taken. I also like Nimbus, simple and to the point and sounds good.

Quetzavoltl. Straight forward, Quetzalcoatl + Volt. Had to abandon a letter to meet the 10-char limit :/

Pronouced Ket-Sa-Volt-Il, unlike Quetzalcoatl that is pronouced Ket-Sal-Co-Ah-Til.

That's hilarious, but I think it's too clever for something like this.
I'm hoping you mean hilarious in a good sense. Anyways, (assuming so), glad to see someone likes Ryo-Savart. Although I don't think being "too clever" should be in any way a disqualifier, I know what you mean. At least it's easy to pronounce, though. Still, if the name doesn't get any more support, I might scrap it and go with my second idea, which is less clever, but more accessible.

Also, cyberzero, is the 10-letter name limit going to be enforced? I've noticed a number of submissions that have gone over it.

Name Submission: Zulzar

First, the breakdown behind the creation of this name:

Zeus + bolt/volt + lizard

Now the justifications:

CAP8 lends itself to a mythical tribute for the god of lightning himself. Therefore the Zu seems fitting.

I wanted to incorporate electricity into the name somehow so I toyed with variations of bolt and volt. After trying several combinations, only the L of bolt or volt survived.

In accordance with true Dragon Poke tradition, I incorporated a variation of the draconian type's lizard heritage into its name. Specifically, I was inspired by ThunderLizard. Also, this fits in accordance with CAP8's condescending, king-of-the-dragons personality because "zar" could just as easily have been derived from the name for Russian kings, Czar.

On a side note, this name was ideally intended for Cartoons! design and thus has an added bonus if it wins the art poll. You've probably heard the biblical quote from the man upstairs: "I am the Alpha and the Omega." This is in reference to alpha beginning the Greek alphabet and omega rounding off the end. Well, the Ohm symbol gracing the rotund dragon's brow just so happens to be the Greek letter omega. Perhaps coolest of all, the name Zulzar would place our CAP as the last poke alphabetically, sitting comfortably after Zubat. Thus making it the "omega" of pokemon so to speak.

There you have it, hopefully this immense over-justification has convinced you of the name Zulzar for CAP8.

Mjolnir, the Hammer of Thor, the Norse God of Thunder

Probably the only non combination name submitted upto now!

(Pronounced mi-yoll-neer)
I already did "Ohmjolnir" ;O

But glad to see someone else wants a Norse mythology thing here ^_^

Also, my current favs are Nimbus, Raitan, and Wyvolga

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I like the sound of these three submissions:

Dragohm
Tesladon
Wyvolt

They all connote both Dragon and Electric, without being too complicated.

Alright, so I got infracted for having multiple names in my post, my bad, shoulda read the ENTIRE OP.

I Submit: Jabbawatt

If mine can't do well then I hope Dragohm gets the nod.

Isn't it a bit weird to be discussing this without the art being chosen? I mean, Cyzir's three headed cloud dragon will surely fit some name better than Cartoons!'s fat one.

Anyways, my submission is Gargantion (Gargantuan + ion)

bugmaniacbob

Was fun while it lasted
is an Artist Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
To start off with, I think I'll enter Fargandr.

After Jormungandr, the legendary dragon of Viking mythology who fought Thor during Ragnarok (and lost; however, Thor died soon after from his wounds) and Faraday, the scientist who helped to make electricity what it is today.

It's difficult to name something without an idea of what it looks like. Thus my submission will be subject to change, at which point I will state the names expiration for a new submission.

As of now I'm fairly settled on a name, if not the exact spelling.

Submission:

Rextorm [Rex + storm]

The internet is legion with dragon story references, but none of them really emphasized lighting and could be molded into a decent name. Then I came across Nagaraja, king of snakes. Naga seemed like it could work but I was unable to come up with something I liked. This left me with Raja, or King. Well, Rex is the latin equivalent of king, and has been used in dinosaur names and honorifics. The x also emulates an s sound, which flows right into storm.

Thus, Rextorm. I considered Rexstorm with an s but it seemed redundant.
Best name comes in first post.

Name Submission: Zulzar

First, the breakdown behind the creation of this name:

Zeus + bolt/volt + lizard

Now the justifications:

CAP8 lends itself to a mythical tribute for the god of lightning himself. Therefore the Zu seems fitting.

I wanted to incorporate electricity into the name somehow so I toyed with variations of bolt and volt. After trying several combinations, only the L of bolt or volt survived.

In accordance with true Dragon Poke tradition, I incorporated a variation of the draconian type's lizard heritage into its name. Specifically, I was inspired by ThunderLizard. Also, this fits in accordance with CAP8's condescending, king-of-the-dragons personality because "zar" could just as easily have been derived from the name for Russian kings, Czar.

On a side note, this name was ideally intended for Cartoons! design and thus has an added bonus if it wins the art poll. You've probably heard the biblical quote from the man upstairs: "I am the Alpha and the Omega." This is in reference to alpha beginning the Greek alphabet and omega rounding off the end. Well, the Ohm symbol gracing the rotund dragon's brow just so happens to be the Greek letter omega. Perhaps coolest of all, the name Zulzar would place our CAP as the last poke alphabetically, sitting comfortably after Zubat. Thus making it the "omega" of pokemon so to speak.

There you have it, hopefully this immense over-justification has convinced you of the name Zulzar for CAP8.
This is a perfect example of why every TINY peice doesnt need a reason. You dont need to use an L because volt and bolt have it. You can take something then add sounds to make it sound better.

Tesladon is the coolest one I've seen. Easily the coolest name.
This and Wyvolt fit DougJustDoug's art I think. I definitely think we should pick the art first; Cyzir's art would work well with the name Nimbus I think, and there are other names that seem to mesh better with certain artwork.

"-Don" to me kind of implies that something is a big, bulky-looking monster. I dunno if Tesladon would work with DougJustDoug's dragon. Wyvolt would though. Tesladon could work well with Buffalo Wing's, though, if it's picked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)