CAP 9 CAP 9 - Part 10 - Art Poll 2

Whose art should be CAP 9's art?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
God, this was painful. I really wanted to see pkmn-taicho321's idea win, but CyzirVisheen's is SOOOOO gorgeous. I tore my self apart to come to a conclusion, but in the end, I voted for pkmn's. I think it is the better choice for the CAP. MAD PROPS to Cyrzir, though. His was so good, too. I wish I could pick two!

I really like all of the art here, so I voted for the artist who I felt deserved it most. Artyoki. He's been doing art & sprite submissions ever since CAP 2, and has never once won a poll, and dang it, he deserves it! And for those of you who are saying: Thorny Devil is "Too Small" to have 133 base HP, look at Vaporeon, he's tiny, and yet he has a whopping 130 base HP!

Honorable mentions go to Cartoons, Mysteriousfellow, and DougJustDoug for not only their great designs, but their fantastic supporting matieral!

I think this one had some of the best submissions of any CAP, and I'm glad to see such a wide distribution of votes. I'm sad the world-turtle didn't make it though : (.

Even though I originally leaned towards Atyroki's thorny devil, after much consideration, I've voted for aragornbird's dust devil. It can fit the stats easily enough, and the ability could be named something related to desert mirages. And it's definitely not hard to see this using Rapid Spin when it's already a DUST DEVIL.

As to why DougJustDoug's & CyzirVisheen's are getting so many votes, I'm not getting it; while they're both good, one needs to think about a few things: Neither look like they could be seen using Rapid Spin (something I thought this CAP was meant to have after all of these conversations), and both of them look far slower than a Base Speed of 95 would suggest. I know I did vote for both of them in the other poll, but just to weed out the other not-so-good submissions, which was the basic purpose of that poll.

Making a choice between CyzirVisheen and Buffalo Wings was nearly impossible, so I flipped a coin and Cyzir won.

Great work to everyone though. This art is amazing!

As to why DougJustDoug's & CyzirVisheen's are getting so many votes, I'm not getting it; while they're both good, one needs to think about a few things: Neither look like they could be seen using Rapid Spin (something I thought this CAP was meant to have after all of these conversations), and both of them look far slower than a Base Speed of 95 would suggest. What I'm saying is, don't vote for a submission just because you like it. Think a bit first.
DougJustDoug said:
For anyone that questions how this pokemon could be both big AND fast, I found a great fact about bison on the internet:
Quote:
"Measuring around 6.5 feet tall at their shoulders and weighing up to 2,200 pounds, American bison are undoubtedly the largest terrestrial animals in North America! Despite their massive size, American bison can run at a top speed of 40 miles per hour!"
As you can see, this design can easily be very bulky and very fast!

.....Damn, I was quoted before I edited the post (as I know I DID vote for the other 2 in the previous poll, so I wanted to explain myself).........

Ok, yeah, bison are fast & bulky at the same time, but can you see it spinning around really fast?

Calad

Hero of the Blue Flames
is an Artist Alumnus
.....Damn, I was quoted before I edited the post (as I know I DID vote for the other 2 in the previous poll, so I wanted to explain myself).........

Ok, yeah, bison are fast & bulky at the same time, but can you see it spinning around really fast?
In that case, vote for my Armadillo ^^.
It's bulky, It's quick, It can rapid spin, etc.

It's a honor to me get to this point in the competition with so many good artist like Cartoons!, Atyroki, Cyzir, aragorn and many others.

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Even though I originally leaned towards Atyroki's thorny devil, after much consideration, I've voted for aragornbird's dust devil. It can fit the stats easily enough, and the ability could be named something related to desert mirages. And it's definitely not hard to see this using Rapid Spin when it's already a DUST DEVIL.

As to why DougJustDoug's & CyzirVisheen's are getting so many votes, I'm not getting it; while they're both good, one needs to think about a few things: Neither look like they could be seen using Rapid Spin (something I thought this CAP was meant to have after all of these conversations), and both of them look far slower than a Base Speed of 95 would suggest. I know I did vote for both of them in the other poll, but just to weed out the other not-so-good submissions, which was the basic purpose of that poll.
Art has nothing to do with potential movepool; if you'd like I can get the respective artists to render their design using "Rapid Spin". Flavor is totally separate from the competitive part of the Pokemon, end of discussion.

After a tough decision, I choose Doug's design. I think a Bison animal is a perfect fit for a Dark/Ground design and the compact bulky look it gives off also works with hard hitting physical aspects. There are a few other designs that I would also be happy with winning, but Doug's is definantly my top pick at this moment.

I'm going to vote for Aragonbird's awesome drawing. All of the other submissions are equally as epic, but I liked his the most. It fits in perfectly with the Dark / Ground-typing, and if you look at the stat spread it works nicely with the good HP and Attack stat. Also, being a dust devil compliments his base 95 speed stat.
The only thing that veers it is the dust devil being being "gutsy." Pun intended, hahaha.

Second and third runner-ups would have to be pkmn-taicho321 and chomzloh's.
(Seriously! All of these were great artwork! Good job guys!)

-Terywj

Engineer Pikachu

Good morning, you bastards!
is a Contributor Alumnus
This was an extremely hard decision. Stuck between Cyzir, Doug, and aragornbird's designs, I went to the base stats. I would think that a dust devil would be much faster than base 95, and honestly, who doesn't like bison? Needless to say, I voted DougJustDoug.

Voted for CyzirVisheen

I like his Dark Ground Narwhal, it perfectly matches this CAP. I really get the Pokemon impression out of it and if he had not made it, Nintendo definitely would've done it ;P. All of these were awesome, I really liked Mysteriousfellow's a lot, and it's cool to see it as a runner up, but in the end I really hope CyzirVeeshin's wins. All of them look like they can beat the fuck out of Scizor, Heatran, and Latias haha. Honestly, many of these submissions were mind blowing and I couldn't draw better myself, may the best artist win!

I really want to see the rest of the body on it though ;]

Obviously? Is there a set # of polls or is it just up to Plus' discretion? Just curious either way.
It goes up until someone has over 50% of the vote. There is a minisculic chance that someone gains that much support (it ALWAYS comes down to the wire) in the next day to have the polls end here-expect at least 2 more polls.

Anyway, I was reallytorn between DJD's and Mysteriousfellow's designs (with Calad in a close 3rd), but I ended up going for DougJustDoug-I love the Bison concept, and it is just a great piece of art.

Oh, and for the "it can't rapid spin" arguement-Tell me how Armaldo, Delibird, or Hitmonchan can rapid spin, not to mention that Rapid Spin isn't even a sure thing for this guy to get.

aragornbird's fits the concept the best. While others did a good job, I don't see their guys doing the things that the abilities suggest. I also think that aragorn's design fits the dark aspect best. It also has some type of theme (dust devil), which, while not necessary, is always nice. I like to see WHY some pokemon is both ground and dark, and a dust devil would definitely be those two types. I also liked Torfengatr's design with the Chess theme, but alas, it didn't move on.

I'm tootin' for pkmn-taicho321! Where there is fatness, there is respectively high bulk. Take a look at how it looms over you like its going to murder you in your sleep and laugh hysterically while doing so. I can also imagine it screaming in anger as it unleashes an earthquake to murder face!

On more of an artistic opinion, I love the texture of the body. It seems mildy rough like sand, yet it sits just inside the fence of Pokemonic color. The Skull on its head looks beautiful.

Other top contenders of mine were Doug's (the nosering kills it a bit), and chomzloh's, which are both super cool. CyzirVisheen should post a tutorial or something.

I went with Caladbolg, I was in love with his submission as soon as I saw it. I think his armadillo has a great amount of personality (mischievous, cocky) and is a perfect candidate to "stop the secondary." I also really like that it's not just a standard rough, shelled armadillo, but has a creative edge that makes it unique.

All great drawlings i really love mysteriousfellows thought its so AWSOME! calabolq and Dougjustdoug have some cool ideas to, i could live with them winning too

Good job everyone all the drawlings are great!

Voted for chomzloh . I am extremely impressed in the design and feek that it would be a good fit for the cap. When I was looking at the abilities, I picture Chomzloh's design using the fan on its tail for the auto magic coat switch in. It also fits the Guts ability (well just look @ it). I can definitely see it with the stats on Caps 9 poll.

I'm tootin' for pkmn-taicho321! Where there is fatness, there is respectively high bulk. Take a look at how it looms over you like its going to murder you in your sleep and laugh hysterically while doing so. I can also imagine it screaming in anger as it unleashes an earthquake to murder face!

On more of an artistic opinion, I love the texture of the body. It seems mildy rough like sand, yet it sits just inside the fence of Pokemonic color. The Skull on its head looks beautiful.

Other top contenders of mine were Doug's (the nosering kills it a bit), and chomzloh's, which are both super cool. CyzirVisheen should post a tutorial or something.
Just want to let you know this comment made my day.

just thought id leave a shout out to Zantimonius who always does fantastic work...

went with Buffalo Wings just so beastly and full of darknessy power, love it. pkmn-taicho321 a very close second though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)