CAP 9 CAP 9 - Part 10 - Art Poll 2

Whose art should be CAP 9's art?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I always fucking love Cartoons' work, but Cyzir's is just so amazing. Cartoons' definitely looks the most obviously Dark/Ground out of all of them. But Cyzir's just looks so much like a Pokemon it's not even funny.

I really can't decide.

I went with Cartoons! because his thunder dragon was so kickass. Sorry Cyzir. <3

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I didn't have much of a chance to comment on art in the submission thread; just getting my own submission completed was quite a chore. But, I'd like to take this opportunity to thank all the artists that submitted art to the CAP art poll, and congratulate everyone on their work -- not just the artists in this poll, but everyone.

I doubt that many of the drive-by voters and casual observers appreciate the work that each of the artists put into their submissions. CAP art contests have so many fantastic submissions, I think some people may take it for granted that we always have a full slate of amazing submissions. I can assure you that I don't take it for granted. As the head of the CAP project, I love the participation and interest generated by our art contests. As an artist myself, I know all the time and work put in by artists while conceiving and rendering their designs. I'm glad the CAP project can provide a vehicle for showcasing various art talents and I know your contributions improve the CAP project in many ways. Thank you and congratulations!

Here's some praise I have for all the art here in the final ten. I will be delighted with any design currently in the running -- and many of the designs that didn't make it this far too!
Cartoons - Wonderful whimsical piece. I know you got the basic idea elsewhere, but your rendering is top-notch, as always. I love how you took a premise that could easily be ugly and uninteresting, and gave it a breath of life and color that makes it exciting and fun.

Mysteriousfellow - Devious, dastardly, dangerous. These are the impressions conjured by your sandy apparition. I love the posing and facial expression. All the elements tie together beautifully. The detailed supporting material enhances the overall scary effect.

Caladbolg - Your design best captures the mischievous side of Dark typing. Your style is always spot-on in the Ken Sugimori mold, and this design is no exception. Your pose has action, but doesn't sacrifice showing off the key elements of your design.

Atyroki - I enjoyed all the phases of your design, and I love the final color scheme. Thorny devil is wonderfully balanced -- it looks sharp and deadly, without being a bloodthirsty badass. The pixel rendering perfectly accentuates the design.

Chomzloh - Incredibly clean, professional rendering of a majestic design. My jaw dropped at every iteration you posted in the submission thread, and your final submission is stunning. The two supporting art pics are some of the best in the competition.

pkmn-taicho321 - I loved this design from the start, and I'm glad you decided to go with this color and texturing (I know Chomzloh gave a helping hand there, but still...). The bone elements and the expression on the face create an oddly endearing and memorable design. This design would be a lot of fun to sprite.

Buffalo Wings - Fantastic design squarely in the badass mold. Your design jumps off the page with detail and ferocity. I love the face and gaping roar in particular. I also like the imbalanced physiology of the bulky arms and torso, juxtapositioned against the nimble rear and legs.

Aragornbird - You pretty much can do no wrong in my book. I don't think I have ever seen art from you that I DIDN'T like! Your dust devil continues in that tradition. The basic design has a perfect mix of simplicity, with detailed flourishes. The face design with the lower fangs, and bully's grin - it's wonderful. The subtle coloring and shading really brings out the impression of whirling sand, without resorting to clumsy canned graphic effects.

CyzirVisheen - As always, you deliver another stunning combination of design originality and artistic execution. The basic design of a ground-drilling narwhal is sheer brilliance. The posing in-ground, fantastic shading, and skin patterns and scars -- it all works perfectly.
I won't comment on my own peice, other than to say that I am honored to be in the company of all these wonderfully talented artists!

KoA

Sorry, I thought anteaters were real
is an Artist
THis was terribly hard to make a choice, It was toss-up for Doug's, Cyzir's, and taicho's.

Why spoil who I chose in my post? I love to keep an air of mystique.

It's almost spriting time lol

The main three I considered were Doug's buffalo, CyzirVisheen's whale, and Buffalo Wings's wild boar. Cyzir's whale looks too slow to have a base 95 Speed, and I couldn't see Buffalo Wings's boar having an Auto Magic Coat ability, only Guts. DougJustDoug's design looks like it could have either, and fits the stat spread in terms of Speed, Attack, and the ratio of HP to Defenses.

I absolutely love the art Buffalo Wings submitted; I'm very surprised by the lack of votes it's receiving by the community.

I know it's not my call, but man I wish I could just choose the winner myself. The art looks fantastic and fits everything I feel about this CaP. Friggin brilliant work Buffalo Wings. Even if something else wins I'm going to envision it as yours. It seriously blows my mind.

...not to say everyone else' isn't fantastic as well...it's just, y'know.
Not to mention congrats everyone so far for making it to the second poll.

chomzloh ultimatly got my vote because it fit the aspects already chosen really well. However, pkmn-taicho321's piece was also fantastic. Great stuff cap :)

Agonizing poll is agonizing.
Quoted for the truth. I honestly had no idea who to choose at this point. I love almost every submission put up there. So, I did what any respectable person presented with a problem of choice does... I left it up to chance. Using the dart method, I selected an entry at random. I will be pretty stoked for any design getting picked, really.

I stayed out of the first poll, because I couldn't choose, but now, I guess I must.

My personal favorite is Mysterious Fellow's. It looks like something that could be given Ground/Dark, and seems to fit the stats as well. (It dosen't look massivly quick, it looks like it could pack a punch, it dosen't look frail, especially considering it's 90% dust, ect)

I'm gonna have to vote for DougJustDoug's bison guy, cause it fits criteria perfectly. Here's the current list of criteria.

Stats: Right on the money here. Bison are well known for their health and their strength, and if 40mph isn't a decent speed, I don't know what is

Guts: Even if it doesn't fit the generic bison, it'll definitely fit these ones, since as mentioned in the backstory they are willing to protect themselves from any and all threats, which = guts

AMC: Not entirely sure, but this is highly likely gonna be renamed anyway. Maybe it'll be renamed a certain bison characteristic of somesort

I would just like to give a huge THANK YOU to everyone in this thread who commented about my design - you guys really made my day! Also, the final ten concepts (including mine, I hope :P) are wonderful, and I would be perfectly contented to see any one of them win.

Gee, if the quality of art remains as high as evidenced by this round of submissions, I really dread the challenge that CAP 10 is going to pose...

Went with CyzirVisheen's one. Hell, it's an underground whale. With drills. Pretty awesome concept, in my opinion.

Still, I'm a bit sad that Keishinkae's submission didn't get to the second poll. It was pretty awesome too, but maybe... a bit too Dark, and not enough Ground, I guess.

I personally voted for pkmn-taicho321
His monster definatly shows auto magic coat, AND seems to make use of it. It could just simply harden the sand.
I can also see this beast doing many of the dark attacks that could be used. Crunch is a stretch, but the rest are fine.

Any of these look like alot of fun, so good luck to every artist here, and congrats!

I voted for Cartoons! even though I know its losing horribly.

I still think it looks the best for the rule. Also it seems to have the best look for not only the stat destrubtion but also the abilities. No offense but I don't see how so many people are voting for CyzirVisheen's design. Not saying its bad, I'm just not really feeling it, I guess.

Anyway, great work everyone who attributed and made it this far. There are some great submissions and I wish I could vote for more than one.

haha every time i check the votes mysterious fellow and dougjustdoug are tied, but they never have the same number of votes as last i checked :P

Perfect Adaptation of CAP9

Buffalo Wings' art for Cap9 is what I think we were all waiting for. It shows both Dark and Ground elements flawlessly. Along with the bulk to symbolize HP and Strength with the smaller lower half to represent its swift and light-of-foot Agility. And, not to be said, a beautiful ferocious, kick ass, face and head, that would scare any competitor to think twice upon switching into it.

Well done to all the other art submissions! My hats off to you all for making it to the polls!

(Can't wait 'til CAP10, where you guys will have my art to compete with!)

^^

Voted Aragornbird. Fell in love with his concept from the moment I saw it, and everything I recommended for tweaking it seems to have made it through. I also liked that he gave justification for the abilities in one of his posts.

Anyway that's just my two cents. At risk of sounding like a broken record, thank you everyone who submitted art. There were a crapload of great designs for CAP9, and I'm confident it will look great no matter who wins. :)

I would agree this one was tough as all the artists were great here. I would be happy with any of the choices but a Narwhal is just too cool and I love Cyzir's work anyways. Caldabog was a close second.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)