CAP Server Mini-Tournament Rules Workshop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bass

Brother in arms
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnus
Alright, as the new Tournament Director, I would like to get the ball rolling on some policy changes regarding Mini-Tournaments. For convenience, I will keep the original post in this thread updated to show which topic we are talking about. Also, please read the following rules before deciding to chime in on the current discussion.

• This is not the topic to ask questions about Mini-Tournaments. Please refer to the threads below.
  • Please, do not bother posting here unless you have experience with Mini-Tournaments and/or are informed about them. If you are not, then please refer to the reference links at the end of this post
  • Stick to the topic that is being discussed at the given time. If you have another issue that you would like to bring up for discussion, then PM me for permission to post it.
  • Although everyone is free to state their opinions on any given topic, please remember that the Senior TOs have the final vote on all policies regarding mini-tournaments.
  • Please keep the discussions civil. Constructive arguments are okay, but whining and complaining are not.

Current Topic: Types of Tournaments

Useful References:

Bass

Brother in arms
New Topic: TO Applications

Over the summer, since Applications to become a TO were last opened, traffic on the server was low with few mini tournaments being hosted. However, with the implementation of Fidgit, traffic is beginning to increase, and (even with the ladder), Mini Tournaments will surely remain popular. The influx of new users to the server will inevitably spark an increase in demand to become a TO as well, and there are several people that want to become one. However, there has been a list of issues regarding the application process, which I will list here in order of importance:

1. Do we need more TO's?
2. The application test
3. After becoming a TO...

So let's focus the current discussion on this question.
Do we need more TO's? First of all, I want to ask for everyone else's opinion in order to make an accurate assessment of this matter.

Plus

中国风暴 trademark
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
1. No

I don't think an average of 20-40 people per day needs more TOs as we already have. I don't want to be the bringer of bad news, but we don't really need any new TOs, as I believe the ladder will increase the popularity of the server for a while. The CaP server really needs more people on the server, though. :\ Honestly, I think theres way too much participation here as opposed to the server, which I find kinda odd, since that's where we playtest the CaP Pokemon. Now, honestly, the participation on the server isn't a real estimation on the amount of people who actually DO go on the server. Frankly, this forum is growing, while the server, eh, not as much.

Right now, it seems the people who want a tournament quickly find a TO to host one. So far I don't see any guaranteed benefits from adding TOs.

Yes if only regulars are TO's, even if they pass the test if they're rarely on there is no use of them being a TO

Plus

中国风暴 trademark
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Yes if only regulars are TO's, even if they pass the test if they're rarely on there is no use of them being a TO

If they're a regular they're going to be on most of the time. What do you mean? I mean, that's what a regular is. >_>

Probably not. We don't need anymore TOs. We have a lot already and they go on frequently so there's no point in having even more.

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Bump.

Bass told me to post my idea in here.

Instead of only awarding points to the winner, award points like the Smogon Tour, which is, the more rounds you win, the more points you get.

Four man tournament:
1 Victory-1 Point
Tournament Win - 2 Points
FC Win- 3 Points

8 man tournament:
1 Victory - 1 Point
2 Victories - 2 Points
Tournament Win - 4 Points
FC Win- 5 Points

16 man tournament:
1 Victory - 1 Point
2 Victories - 2 Points
3 Victories - 4 Points
Tournament Win - 8 Points
FC Win - 9 Points

This would mean that the current scoreboard would be reset (Sorry Spoinky) , and would require more careful notes on the TO's part. However, I believe that this will make it easier on everyone so that you can still be on the ladder if you reach the finals every time but somehow lose.

Bass

Brother in arms
It seems that most of us believe that no new TO's are needed, so we will save that discussion for another time.

As for your idea tennis, I have mixed feelings about it at the moment. On one hand, I do agree that it will give more opportunities for people to gain points and make it on the leaderboard. However, I also feel that it might be a but too convoluted for the TO to handle, and thus make leaderboard updates a bit slow.

However, this topic is still open for debate, and I want to see some arguments from both sides before picking a side myself.

tennis's idea doesn't sound too bad. Although it would be harder for the TO to track the points. But that doesn't matter.

Tennis, it's not a bad idea, it's just that tournaments are already digressed to the point that they can be considered rare, and it would MUCH harder to keep track of that.
A few reasons why I would promote the idea is so that we can have more opportunities for people to get points, and so that we can weed out the TO's who are not as committed as others.

eric the espeon

maybe I just misunderstood
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
hmm.... I think that whatever happens the FC points should remain separate from the normal points. The FC is not like an extra round, and as such people should not get the same type or point from it.

As for the idea of giving out points to people who get through each round.. I don't really like it (mostly due to the reset of the scoreboard and the extra complexity) but it could work fine.

Lets see..

4 player MT:
Normal: 1 points given (all to one person) + FC
Tennis's: 4 Points given (1 to one person, 3 to another) + FC

8 player MT:
Normal: 2 Points given (all to one person) + FC
Tennis's: 12 Points given (1 to two people, 3 to one person, 7 to one person) + FC

16 player MT:
Normal: 4 Points given (all to one person) + FC
Tennis's: 32 Points given (1 to four people, 3 to two people, 7 to one person, 15 to one person) + FC

That part of the suggestion would be nice, but at the moment the shear amount of time it would take to update (it takes long enough with simple points...) as well as the fact that it does not bring any significant advantages (and that it would be incompatible with the currant scoreboard) is why I think it should not be implemented.

which TO's are acctually left?
yea points for playing makes things better for lets say the weaker players.

tennisace

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
They wouldn't. If you won a 4 man tournament, you would only get 2 points, or 3 if you won the FC.

eric the espeon

is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
oh I see, so you don't get a point for getting through R1 then another for R2.
Ok then revising:

4 player MT:
Normal: 1 points given (all to one person) + FC
Tennis's: 3 Points given (1 to one person, 2 to another) + FC

8 player MT:
Normal: 2 Points given (all to one person) + FC
Tennis's: 8 Points given (1 to two people, 2 to one person, 4 to one person) + FC

16 player MT:
Normal: 4 Points given (all to one person) + FC
Tennis's: 24 Points given (1 to four people, 2 to two people, 4 to one person, 8 to one person) + FC

Its still a lot more complicated for the TO and TD.

Bass

Brother in arms
Over the past week, I have observed a large resurgence in Mini-Tournaments. As I type this message, I have 14 sets of results in my PM inbox from just the past few days. However, a majority of these tournaments have been hosted by bobtheball4 or Hybrid, so bob raised the question (yet again): Is now a good time to re-open TO applications?

bobtheball4 said:
well, i think we should reopen TO applications, and delete the TOs who are inactive, because lately, ive been the only TO who actually host tournies, and i like doing it, but i also like being in them >_> so im wondering if its possible to get a new "generation"
of TOs
Everyone is welcome to express their opinion on the subject. If there is enough support, I will go through with this proposal.

Plus

中国风暴 trademark
What do you wish to achieve by redoing the whole TO system? Inactive TO's are not a problem. However, it's fine for new TOs to be to apply and become a TO anyways. It's not like inactive TOs are like inactive mods. TOs just host tourneys, that's all. By deleting old TOs I doubt you can accomplish much, if you plan to accomplish anything with it in the first place.

Bobtheball4

CAP Playtesting Expert
well, i think we should like just reset all the TOs, except the seniors, and see how much actually retest, because most of them dont host any

I've been here for about 7 months (the server), doesn't really seem like it. I've wanted to be a TO for sometime. Since the ladder is clearly taking away the amount of tourney (Especially during it's opening) I thought I'd never see a tourny again. But I'm fine with applications opening again since in my opinion the TO list is out dated because most of those people barley or never came on during the opening of the ladder through now

The mini-tourneys I've been seeing are:

OU
Uber
Random
BL
Tag team
and Mono type

It seems that Mono is getting a lot of attention, it feels like an upcoming of a new metagame. Also to mention Tag team which has been coming up more times that it has been before ladder. So just a reminder, something is happening with the recent tourneys and if we expect the same amount we should re-open the TO applications.

EDIT: BL has been coming up randomly sometimes so I decided to put it up on bolded since BL isn't really a tier

I think it would be a good idea to re-open the Application to become TO because most of the TOs aren't been Rarely seen anymore but with these new and hyped up new regulars i think it would be a good idea.

tennisace

Don't re-open it yet. I haven't seen anyone who isn't a TO actually want to become one, and the list is huge as it is. I say purge then re-open.

eric the espeon

I fully support reopening applications, we do need some new TOs to keep this thing going.

I am not sure if we should clear out all TOs.. but almost all of them have not been active for a long time so maybe its the right way to go?

Why don't we remove all TOs who have not hosted any tourneys recently from the list to free up space for the new ones.

Edit:
Don't re-open it yet. I haven't seen anyone who isn't a TO actually want to become one, and the list is huge as it is. I say purge then re-open.
Yes. Its silly to keep a massive list of TOs when ~90% of them don't do MTs any more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)