CAP Server Mini-Tournament Rules Workshop

Status
Not open for further replies.

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Agreeing with eric, I'm going to make a preliminary list now.

Approved Tournament Organizers (TOs):
Tournament Director:
Bass

Senior:

eric the espeon

tennisace0227

Hybrid
Captain

Tenured:

cyberzero
ronjocox
Dixe Normas
BLOOD Cuc
Plus
Frosty
Beav232

Magmortified
Spanky
Alphabet_Soup
Cooper
mudpie369
IcyVegeta
taco reaver
CrossDragon

bobtheball4
LifeSavers
Beef 2.0
darkie

New/Inexperienced:
NinjaBunny
mimefan

Phalanx
Iggybot
Super Trainer
Mekkah
Itachi 2008
resetx
BIGarceusFAN2
goldsaber
KinglerDude24

Bold ones should go. Next, get rid of the two categories, and just make one large one. Last, open applications again.

However, before we reopen applications, we need to come up with a standard procedure for a test, other than "do a tournament".

eric the espeon

maybe I just misunderstood
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Also just to be clear we should not take them off the TO leaderboard just because they are no longer TOs.

As for your list.. does Cooper host MTs any more?
And maybe KD could stay.

Bobtheball4

CAP Playtesting Expert
Me, obviously xD

But at the list you should keep IcyVegeta cause I actully still see him sometimes. I still don't know about BLOOD Cuc though.
i just edited my post xD and took that out, and blood cuc sometimes comes on captains, but thats not here, so idk..

tennisace

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I haven't seen either of them as of late. As for KD and Cooper, maybe. I haven't seen KD on the CAP server in forever, and same with Cooper.

I think that the new wave of the CaP community, such as Ria, squirtleboy12, billymills, Granight, Beej, etc, are more deserving to be TO's than many on that list, purely out of the reason that they show up.
Today, we had asked for a tag team OU tourney, and no one was available to hold one when bobtheball4 held one, although he wanted to enter himself. I commend him greatly for that.

As for new TO applications, they should have some recommendations on their participation, battling skills, and how often they are on from the rest of the community in order to be able to take the test.

Bass

Brother in arms
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnus
Very well. Since there is enough support for re-opening TO applications, I will do so. However, I agree with tennis that we should rewrite the application process before re-opening applications. Once we do that, I will remove the TO's tennis suggested from the list and finally give people the opportunity to become a TO!

But anyway, what do you guys think? How will we determine if someone is eligible to become a TO?

Very well. Since there is enough support for re-opening TO applications, I will do so. However, I agree with tennis that we should rewrite the application process before re-opening applications. Once we do that, I will remove the TO's tennis suggested from the list and finally give people the opportunity to become a TO!

But anyway, what do you guys think? How will we determine if someone is eligible to become a TO?

I'd say anyone who's on the server a lot, can clearly handle it and is generally liked by the community would be the criteria.

Additionally, people who, well, aren't liked by the community at large, or more "controversial" users (you know what I mean) probably shouldn't be allowed to become TOs until the controversy surrounding settles down a bit.

But that's just my opinion. >_>

tennisace

I'd say anyone who's on the server a lot, can clearly handle it and is generally liked by the community would be the criteria.

Additionally, people who, well, aren't liked by the community at large, or more "controversial" users (you know what I mean) probably shouldn't be allowed to become TOs until the controversy surrounding settles down a bit.

But that's just my opinion. >_>
See, the problem is, thats not really fair since its a subjective opinion. I don't think that should be part of the process at all. Someone who's qualified, but isn't liked for one reason or another, wouldn't be eligible by that method. This would be the part where I would suggest an alternative method. However, I have no clue for this one. Maybe a general knowledge test + practice tournament?

Bass

Brother in arms
See, the problem is, thats not really fair since its a subjective opinion. I don't think that should be part of the process at all. Someone who's qualified, but isn't liked for one reason or another, wouldn't be eligible by that method. This would be the part where I would suggest an alternative method. However, I have no clue for this one. Maybe a general knowledge test + practice tournament?
I have actually contemplated a general knowledge test, though I am not exactly sure how we would apply it. For example, what kind of questions do we consider "general knowledge"? And how well would they need to score to "pass"?

tennisace

Names of projects, types of projects, info about MTs, general CAP process. Nothing too complex or server jokes. As for score, standard >65%. Though if its like 10 questions it would bump up to 70%.

Fair point.

The concept of a general knowledge test is also a good idea in my opinion.

eric the espeon

is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Why ask them about general CaP knowledge? Its quite possible that we have someone who would make a great TO but does not know much about past CaPs or project types.

I think that the practice tournament is the best thing, combined with asking them questions about how to respond to different situations (like "What do you do if one player disconnects and claims it was unintentional?" or "What do you do if a player has to leave in the first/second round?").

I also think that the test should be relatively easy, so that anyone who is really trying who has read carefully through the guide (unless they are a total noob) will be able to pass. If they are trying they will improve with time and practice.

It should filter out those who are not trying, those have not read the guide carefully and the noobs, and give the rest a chance.

I think the trim of TOs is fine, especially since that we have mods who are likely to be on when the server is busy enough to host one.

tennisace

Why ask them about general CaP knowledge? Its quite possible that we have someone who would make a great TO but does not know much about past CaPs or project types.
Because this is the CAP server?

I think that the practice tournament is the best thing, combined with asking them questions about how to respond to different situations (like "What do you do if one player disconnects and claims it was unintentional?" or "What do you do if a player has to leave in the first/second round?").

I also think that the test should be relatively easy, so that anyone who is really trying who has read carefully through the guide (unless they are a total noob) will be able to pass. If they are trying they will improve with time and practice.

It should filter out those who are not trying, those have not read the guide carefully and the noobs, and give the rest a chance.
Right. Those kind of questions would be there too.

eric the espeon

Ok a bit of very basic and useful knowledge about CaP would be good (e.g. Q: How do we create a pokemon A: Something about votes and everyone participating) but asking them about project types seems unnecessary.

Bass

Brother in arms
Just so you know, I am siding with eric's initial stance that CAP knowledge is totally unnecessary for being a good TO, so we should not include that on the test.

Anyway, if any of you guys are willing to help me come up with some questions for our test, why not PM me your ideas? I have been constantly asked about when we will finally open applications, and once we have finalized a set of questions, we can do just that.

I do have some good ideas but since I'm probably (most defenatly) trying out for the new TO spots I can't give any of my ideas. But my view on the questions are

History about CaP: How we create, past CaP topic leaders, specefic steps of progression of the CaP (i.e. Step 5 is the ..., Step 10 is the ...) and the CaPs themselves.

Battling skills: What happens on D/c, If you send out [insert pokemon here] what do you do (A,B,C or D or Opinion)

TO Knowladge: How many points can a person get if they [insert when they lost or won the tourney here], past TO's etc.

Not the best list of ideas but maybe it can help you start out.

Bobtheball4

CAP Playtesting Expert
History about CaP: How we create, past CaP topic leaders, specefic steps of progression of the CaP (i.e. Step 5 is the ..., Step 10 is the ...) and the CaPs themselves.
i dont like that, because people like me who dont go on the forums much at all, wont know which steps they are, like i dont know what 5 an 10 are, but i think 10 is something to do with the art or the moves

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)