CaPmon Sprite Revamping

Wooot! I fixed some shading issues and added a wee bit of texture to make it more rocky, but I'm trying to keep it a tad bit smooth since it is, after all, a "pebble". If I made its body super-textured it'd just look messy and complicated, as opposed to most 5th gen Sprites.

Wooot! I fixed some shading issues and added a wee bit of texture to make it more rocky, but I'm trying to keep it a tad bit smooth since it is, after all, a "pebble". If I made its body super-textured it'd just look messy and complicated, as opposed to most 5th gen Sprites.
Those are awesome! Could you do Bolderdash? :DDDDDD

Stratos

Banned deucer.
@ Doran's Nohface;

I like the design concept in general very much, but I think that if "a bunch of nohface gather into a Kit," then it wouldn't make sense for the two to have the same amount of masks. In my opinion, Nohface should just be one mask, probably the one you currently have at center.

On the actual sprite, the ears of the center mask look a little funky, with one sticking out to the side and the other going up. Also, there appears to be a stray pixel under the right eye of the middle mask. Last, maybe you should try it without red in the eyes and just color the space behind the mask the same as the wisp?

Speaking of the wisp, I think it would look better with no shading at all. You know, because it's a wisp, the light would just sort of filter right through. I think that would give it a bit more of that ethereal appearance.

Alrighty, since I have WAY too much time on my hands on Saturdays and Sundays, I got to work on Bolderdash. Yup.

As you can tell, Rebble gets rougher as it evolves. Starts off as a lightly colored Pebble, then evolves into a darker, rugged Boulder, and then evolves into the dark and rough awesomeness that is Stratagem. The big jump in coloration from Bolderdash to Stratagem is due to the fact that Stratagem gains A LOT of new gems and minerals upon evolution. NOTE: I didn't make the Stratagem sprite, in case anyone thinks that.

So, any C&C?

Edit: I'm fixing red hues on the rocks in back, hold on...

Edit 2: Alright, fixed the hues.

Those sprites are great, Toast! If I were you, though, I'd lean Bolderdash's colors a <I>bit</I> more to Stratagem's, especially on the Shiny. For the rest, amazing job again!

First off, can people stop fighting over recolours? They're not difficult to do and should be done with the set instead of on their own. I don't want this thread to turn into a mess of recolours.

Thanks to anybody who has been doing Nohface sprites. We'll set up a poll for them at some point to see the winning design so make sure you have them done up. For reference the name kitsunoh from the word kitsune implies a fox-like quality. Doran's mask sprites are much better than before now too! Bravo!

I've not got much time till after monday, just popped in to check the thread so don't expect me to be around for a few days.

------------------------------------------------

Now, I've got to say something. Uh, Toast. I appreciate the backsprite attempt but you kind of took my sprites and downgraded the shading by a lot. Also, rebble only has one eye.

I know you're probably trying for the simpler look but rocky Pokémon have a habit of having very harsh shades for that rugged texture however you've made it look very soft in both rebble and boulderdash. You also added an extremely soft shade to buffer the mid and dark, something that softens it even further! The extra shade is also pillowed around many areas in both sprites. This isn't very natural looking and is counter to the gen 5 look that you were probably going for in the first place.

Back sprites don't mirror the fronts correctly. Rebble's arm should be pointing forward by a lot more and boulderdashes left arm should be further away from the body like in the front.

Finally, the evolution set there doesn't in fact get darker as it goes along as stated, actually the first two evolutions use the same colour set and strata gets even lighter.

Maybe you should just focus on nohface and leave the strata line alone for now.

Now, I've got to say something. Uh, Toast. I appreciate the backsprite attempt but you kind of took my sprites and downgraded the shading by a lot. Also, rebble only has one eye.
It's always been to my understanding that it had 2 eyes, and the other one was out of our point of view because of the positioning of the body...

In the concept art threads, I vaguely remember someone pointing out how the eyes increased by 2 upon evolution (2, then 4, then 6).

I know you're probably trying for the simpler look but rocky Pokémon have a habit of having very harsh shades for that rugged texture however you've made it look very soft in both rebble and boulderdash. You also added an extremely soft shade to buffer the mid and dark, something that softens it even further! The extra shade is also pillowed around many areas in both sprites. This isn't very natural looking and is counter to the gen 5 look that you were probably going for in the first place.
Well, Rebble (again, to my understanding), was a large pebble (since it's the first form and it's rather small), so I accordingly made the shading smoother. To be honest, your spriting and work is AMAZING; incredible in fact, but the shading on both Rebble and Bolderdash are really really complicated and more complex than they should be, especially by 5th gen sprite standards.

For example, while 5th Gen Geodude's Sprite is rocky (while rough and rugged; moreso than Rebble would be) it's shading is a bit softer and smoother, and not as complex as the previous shading for Rebble and Bolderdash are.

Back sprites don't mirror the fronts correctly. Rebble's arm should be pointing forward by a lot more and boulderdashes left arm should be further away from the body like in the front.
Well, I can try to fix that then.

Finally, the evolution set there doesn't in fact get darker as it goes along as stated, actually the first two evolutions use the same colour set and strata gets even lighter.
That's a simple coloring problem, I could easily fix that then.

Maybe you should just focus on nohface and leave the strata line alone for now.

ouch. that kinda' hurt. :x

So I took the coloration problems into account, and fixed the positioning of Rebble's "arms".

I figured it'd be simpler to keep a continuous color scheme going when taking shinies into account.

Been a long time in the making, but it's finally done. Thank f- err, well anyway.

Anybody who has their own ideas for Nohface, Kitsunoh's pre-evolution, should get at least a finished front sprite done for it. People will vote for the general idea and the winning sprites will be refined if needed.

jas61292

used substitute
is a Community Contributoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Ok, this is very minor, but it is bugging me, so I have to say something. It looks to me that 3rd Pyroak front sprite (normal female??) that there is one pixel in the hair leaves (the third one from the left) that is different from that of its shiny form, having a 3-1 pixel per line count on the top of that leaf instead of the 2-2 on the other 3 sprites. I'm not sure if it is just because of that one pixel, but the "hair" on that one looks different overall from the other 3.

But besides that, they look great. I really like them.

IDK why, but it still seems like the front sprites have plastic cannons...

but aside from the cannons, it looks great! having said that, it will not be complete without animations...

IDK why, but it still seems like the front sprites have plastic cannons...

but aside from the cannons, it looks great! having said that, it will not be complete without animations...
I actually kind of agree. But rather than plastic more like clay - it's unfortunate that it is such a similar colour to wood. I honestly think the sprite looks fantastic right now regardless and I know you were trying to cut down on the textures though, so take this with a grain of salt.

~~~~

Compare and Contrast of the two? Personally, I think the one with both eyes being visible (or 2 eyes instead of one, for those set on the fact that it has 1) looks a lot nicer and more balanced. In retrospect it's all up to Wyv, but I'm just doin' the best I can to try to make you guys happy.

I don't think you understand, Toast. Rebble has only one eye; that isn't up to interpretation. This was the supporting art for Stratagem's winning art submission:

Notice how Rebble clearly has only one eye. Furthermore, notice how Bolderdash has six, like big daddy Stratagem.

Lastly, I'm a little concerned with how you're putting so much effort into Stratagem's line. Wyverii already did the majority of work for the sprites, and had plans to finish the rest out. We really should be focusing on Nohface, as that actually needs to be voted on by the community.

Well crap, I got thrown off by the sprite since it had 4 eyes, sorry about that.... :x

But notice how the Rebble drawing is a very distinct sideview of Rebble. It's almost a complete sideview if it weren't for the angle that it were positioned. At this angle, I doubt that Rebble would only have an eye on the right side of its face.

Again, if everyone feels strongly about 1 eye, then I see no problem with that, so long as it makes you guys happy.

Lastly, I'm a little concerned with how you're putting so much effort into Stratagem's line. Wyverii already did the majority of work for the sprites, and had plans to finish the rest out. We really should be focusing on Nohface, as that actually needs to be voted on by the community.
I'm putting a lot of effort into them since they don't have Backsprites at all, and Wyverii is still working on Pyroak. Speaking of Pyroak, none of the Pyroak line have backsprites either, outside of Pyroak himself, so those are still a big issue too. I'm just trying my best to get things done for CAP so that everyone can be happy with it, not just one or two people. I'm sorry if it seems like I'm just trying to do things on my own or ignore things, because I'm not. :x

Look, I'm not looking to pick an arguement or anything, but I've had A LOT of support from fellow Smogonites and people on IRC, so do feel that the sprites are genuinely good. :/

ANYWAYS, LouisCyphre gave me a lot of C&C to improve the sprites for Rebble.

Most Recent Products

I've updated the oak sprites with hopefully the last touches and updated the OP. To be honest I'm not satisfied with it but I doubt I ever will be.

Also toast, as a result of constant inconsequential updates filling the thread and a resistance to crit I've taken over the Stratagem line sprites. I'm a bit dissappointed that you spent so much time on it. You should go back to Nohface or try something else. You have some fans of your Nohface design so it'd be nice to have a polished version for the polls.

LouisCyphre

heralds disaster.
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor
Wyv, would it possible to nix the floaties on Rebble (the small stones behind the main body) and bring them lower on Bolderdash?

On the main art, they're absent from Rebble, and on Bolderdash they hang very close to the three grey "main" stones. Only when the line hits Stratagem do they start truly whirling and flying on their own, from what I'm seeing,

If ToastTyrant13's nohface was wispier looking, in both shading and shape like Doran Dragon's, it'd be pretty solid.

Alternately, if Doran Dragon's nohface took a cuteness cue from TT's, eliminating the spines altogether, keeping some cute "ears" and shortened the mouth from Kitsunoh's vvv to a simple vv or 3 shape, it'd also be pretty solid.

I'm really for a fusion of the designs. Cute + wispy, as described above. Instead of multiple, disembodied masks as orbitals, disembody the adorable little paws as orbitals.

disembodied paws will make it a little too haunter-esque, dontcha think? I changed the main noh mask to be cuter like you said, and slightly more wispy with little strings of ghoststuffs trailing behind. I can add paws, I just feel that they would kinda take away from the original design and make it more of a haunter...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)