Pokémon Charizard

Which one these MEvos will be OU in your opinion?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not underselling ZardY, I'm trying to figure out how to use one on my own team. And yeah, XZard has 130 special attack, but you can't use items. In that case you're better off using Flare Blitz to maximize damage. Recoil or no. My opinion obviously.

Basically, the reason alot of people aren't using many mixed options on Zard X is because, at least in my opinion, Tough Claws makes it more Physically Oriented. On a Zard X with no EV's in either attacking stat, Flare Blitz is gonna do more then Fire Blast, albeit with recoil, since Tough Claws gives the boost to Flare Blitz since it makes contact, and very few Special moves make contact, in fact I don't think Charizard can learn any Special moves that make Contact. Another reason people rarely go mixed on Zard X is because, like most Mixed Attackers, it forces you to split your EV's in between two attacking stats if you want both to hit reasonably hard, however, unless you put 252/252 EV's in your Attacking Stats, which while that isn't bad, Charizard certainly appreciates the Speed EV's, your Attacking Stats aren't gonna be as potent as say, if you had put 252 in Attack and 252 in Speed, also if you go Mixed your Special moves can't take advantage of Boosting moves like Dragon Dance, and as stated before, one of the problems with Zard Y is that Charizard gets no good Special boosting moves. One last thing to note is going Mixed means you need a nature that's Neutral to both Attacking Stats, or at least one that raises one Attacking Stat that dosen't lower the other, which means no Adamant or Modest nature, and when it comes to Attacking, Charizard would certainly appreciate that 10% boost Natures provide, and if you go a Nature that decreases your Defenses like Naive, Charizard could die to hits he would've normally just barely lived. Overall, while it's not necessarily bad to go Mixed on Zard X, there are various factors that just make it slightly more Physically oriented.

Sorry for the wall of text... ^-^;

Both are good, megazard x is better in terms of sweeping, but megazard y provides more team support and causes issues for opposing weather, people should stop comparing the two directly as they both perform very different roles.

I think besides Dragon Dance/Swords Dance options Y out classes X on what it brings to the table. Higher offensive stats and access to higher BP moves even when Tough Claws is factored. The weather is also equally important due nullifying Water weakness and strengthening Fire Blast/Flamethrower. Other Pokemon are easily better than X it seems a waste of an important mega slot.

Also Charizard Y has a nice natural special bulk that lets him set up a Flame Charge and go with a mini sweep!Also like radica said the power of water moves is nullified because of drought and that gives him even more room to set up or live longer... :)

I have a 4iv+27SpD timid charizard which is a direct descendent of my first ever pokemon from Firered. But now i have only X version.

Actually, does charizard y have any other good coverage moves except focus miss?

I have a 4iv+27SpD timid charizard which is a direct descendent of my first ever pokemon from Firered. But now i have only X version.

Actually, does charizard y have any other good coverage moves except focus miss?
Solar beam, air slash, dragon pulse

Focus miss is prob its worst option as coverage. Since sun boosted fire blast does more to dark.

Speed and rocks are its enemy so galvantula and a fog or spinner is ideal as a core.

What is the color for a shiny Mega-Charizard X ? oO
Google/Youtube it. But for your convenience, it's got red where the blue is (fire-stash and tail flame is still blue), and the black body is a greenish/blueish mix. I personally like it but a lot of people don't.

From personal experience Mega Charizard Y is so much more of a pain than Mega Charizard X
A pain to deal with on the opposing team? Or a pain to fit into your team and use properly?
Solar beam, air slash, dragon pulse

Focus miss is prob its worst option as coverage. Since sun boosted fire blast does more to dark.

Speed and rocks are its enemy so galvantula and a fog or spinner is ideal as a core.
It helps deal with Tyranitar, but with Assault vest even if you managed to take away the sand I don't think it's going to do enough. Probably better to just gtfo if Tyranitar comes out on Yzard. What would you use as his moveset?
Google/Youtube it. But for your convenience, it's got red where the blue is (fire-stash and tail flame is still blue), and the black body is a greenish/blueish mix. I personally like it but a lot of people don't.
Personally I really hate flower-wing flame-mustache black and blue charizard with a passion. Making him green and red (And not even changing the colors of his flames) is just salt in my eyes :/ But that's my opinion.

Last edited:
Not sure if this has been posted yet, but I have tried and failed numerous times to breed Thunder Punch onto a Charmander to see if it could be breed for this Gen. Alas it cannot be done. Any chance of a patch potentially including new move tutors? This is the first generation to have patches released if I'm not mistaken. Has there been any announcement as to how they will handle the transition of mons from pokebank to x/y in regards to moves? I'm interested to see how this plays out.

Not sure if this has been posted yet, but I have tried and failed numerous times to breed Thunder Punch onto a Charmander to see if it could be breed for this Gen. Alas it cannot be done. Any chance of a patch potentially including new move tutors? This is the first generation to have patches released if I'm not mistaken. Has there been any announcement as to how they will handle the transition of mons from pokebank to x/y in regards to moves? I'm interested to see how this plays out.
Pokebank will allow Thunderpunch Charmander to be transferred from Gen 5.

To be perfectly honest, I think that Mega Charizard Y is, in terms of usability, far more ridiculous in potential. In fact I've been working on a Smashpass combo for it. Let me just say, even without absolutely perfect IV's, it's fantastically devastating. If you could stack 2 Shell Smashes before Baton Passing (obviously the odds of this is astronomical at best unless you're facing some type of wall off the bat, but it's plausible), most scarfers still would have trouble outspeeding MCY, let alone tanking any hits it tosses at them. Even with one Shell Smash boost it catches up to any scarfers in the same speed tier.

This is not saying that Mega Charizard X isn't viable, in fact it's powerful too. But I more see MCX as the balance-bringer to Charizard's Mega Evolutions, sporting somewhat improved defensive typing and a balanced set of attack stats, whereas MCY is the minmaxed nuke. It's all about playstyle if you ask me.

That being said I fully intend to drag my 31/0/31/31/31/31 Modest Shiny Charizard from B2 onto Y version as soon as possible.

Pokebank will allow Thunderpunch Charmander to be transferred from Gen 5.
That much I totally understand, but my concern is how GF will handle new mons and old acquire these same moves in the current gen. Perhaps they are trying to encourage cross-gen play by raising mons in BW2 and transferring them over? I'd like to think that the ability to patch games will expand the post-game content to some degree, but not on a grand scale. The developers at GF have a some what expandable format here for the first time. I'm interested in how they handle it.

That much I totally understand, but my concern is how GF will handle new mons and old acquire these same moves in the current gen. Perhaps they are trying to encourage cross-gen play by raising mons in BW2 and transferring them over? I'd like to think that the ability to patch games will expand the post-game content to some degree, but not on a grand scale. The developers at GF have a some what expandable format here for the first time. I'm interested in how they handle it.
They already have a method of "patching"; it's later releases. Those always have the move tutors. So far, the literal patching has been only for fixing critical bugs; they don't need to use it for more than that.

Mega X has the advantage over Char Y in type and being able to increase it's atk and speed at the same time.

My Tailwind Char X has been nuking Garchomps, by the way. ;) The Dragon STAB is way more useful than the flying STAB.

I think X is better. I've tried Y around as much as X, but I keep struggling a lot more to support it. Char X stands out more..it's type is unique, hence forcing switches more often, and it can more viably raise it's speed. It has the more important def boost compared to Y.

There is no denying that Y is a better nuke out of the gate, but it's more vulnerable and harder to support. X is better when you have those really high level games..Y only seems better on paper, as far as I'm concerned. Except perhaps for support on Sun teams.

And DD +1 Mega X seems like a stronger sweeper than Y without drought (and that only applies for Fire moves). Drought is easily countered by another weather mon, and because of SR's and Char Y's type, he's the absolute worst type of Pokemon to be switching in and out to fix that.

Keep in mind that I think Y is still good enough for OU or at least BL.

Last edited:
They already have a method of "patching"; it's later releases. Those always have the move tutors. So far, the literal patching has been only for fixing critical bugs; they don't need to use it for more than that.
Actually, it's always been a dream of mine to have a patch that allows us to get the new Tutor moves and whatnot, as opposed to having to buy and play an entirely new game. T3T I found that rather exhausting in Emerald and Platinum and didn't even get BW2 even though they were actually reasonably different LOL.

...but being more on-topic... People seem to be pretty divided over which form is better. I don't really see why; they both seem great for the roles that they're filling. (Salamence's and Ninetales', in other words)

How do people feel about Megazard X as a mixed DD sweeper? Is that a viable option at all, or is DD Flare Blitz just better? Dem Kyurem-level offenses seem like going mixed is pretty viable to me.

Even though I agree Y is more of a threat (sky-rocketing its Sp.ATk and getting sun just by mega-evolving), I think X has superior resistances which greatly helps it setting up. It doesn't need sun to get rid of its water weakness and is going to be regarded as a fire/flying pokemon by the opponent on the turn it mega-evolves (and possibly uses DD or SW to get the upperhand). That's a huge advantage, because the opponent is likely to use eletric moves X can shrug off after mega-evolving and no one would dare use ground moves on you since they can't be sure when you're going and most specifically what you're going to evolve into.

The fact you've got to survive a set-up turn and then got Flare Blitz with chunky recoil damage as your strongest STAB is a major drawback though.

I think X has superior resistances which greatly helps it setting up.
That's the thing though, Yzard doesn't NEED (Read: It actually pretty much can't) to set up, so it doesn't need those resistances. Yzard gets a free set up +1 boost for fire moves just by being on the field, not to mention free solarbeams. Overall they fill different aspects of your team, but personally I think Yzard will be more dangerous and reliable as long as it has Defog/RS coverage (Which both Zards need, for the record). If Xzard gets outrage in the future I think it will be much more dangerous, but for now I think Yzard is the better pick if you can fit him in your team.

hey guys, new to the pokemon team building scene, am just wondering what are some of the pokemon that i can team my X charizard with?
i know for sure one of em gotta be a rapid spinner.

Random question: can Dragon Pulse be passed down or does it need to come from a Gen 5 Pokemon?
The OP has dragon pulse listed many times and many have talked about it, so I'm sure he can get it.
hey guys, new to the pokemon team building scene, am just wondering what are some of the pokemon that i can team my X charizard with?
i know for sure one of em gotta be a rapid spinner.
You definitely need a spinner so regular Charizard doesn't lose half its health to SR. Excadrill and Starmie seem to be the best ones right now, as they can still hit Aegislash hard when it tries to block it. The former is probably synergy wise, as regular Charizard can switch in on Ground, Fighting, and Fire moves aimed at Excadrill while Excadrill can take Rock, Electric, and Dragon attacks aimed at Charizard.

Both Charizard X and Excadrill are weak to Ground and both regular Charizard and Excadrill are weak to Water so a bulky Grass or Water-type would be good to take on those Pokemon.
Keep in mind that you can also use a defogger such as Skarmory/Scizor/Crobat/Empoleon.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)