Cloyster

i forgot the math but if cloyster is holding a razor claw and uses icicle spear what are the chances of landing a crit out of 5 times?

each hit would have a 12.5% chance to crit.

the chance of at least one crit is 1-(7/8)^5=48.7% you still do less damage on average than if you had use life orb or even muscle band.

i forgot the math but if cloyster is holding a razor claw and uses icicle spear what are the chances of landing a crit out of 5 times?

each hit would have a 12.5% chance to crit.
It would have a 48.7% chance to land atleast one critical hit. Although, since the damage from each hit is independant of the other hits, critting with one of them would only give it an effective Base Power of 150, while Life Orb will give it an effective Base Power of 162.5 all the time.

Edit: If I understand the mechanics of King's Rock correctly, then you're better of going with it since it gives you a 41.0% chance to flinch your opponent.

It would have a 48.7% chance to land atleast one critical hit. Although, since the damage from each hit is independant of the other hits, critting with one of them would only give it an effective Base Power of 150, while Life Orb will give it an effective Base Power of 162.5 all the time.

Edit: If I understand the mechanics of King's Rock correctly, then you're better of going with it since it gives you a 41.0% chance to flinch your opponent.
I dont think the information on smogon is correct. I think its a 11.7% chance to flinch per hit which means 53.7% chance to flinch. It really is his best option.

Cloyster could be a very viable spiker this gen, since everyone will assume that it's a shell smasher and just flat out attack it instead of taunting it. But idk

one thing: Why use Shell Blade when Dive is an option? Dive wastes the PP of the opponent by 1, and if yo are in Hail, you can stall the opponent and get bonus damage for 1 turn... it also has better accuracy and base power...

I know the only drawback is it gives the opponent a free switc if they have a storm drain/water absorb pokemon present. but I think the benefits outweigh the drawbacks...

one thing: Why use Shell Blade when Dive is an option? Dive wastes the PP of the opponent by 1, and if yo are in Hail, you can stall the opponent and get bonus damage for 1 turn... it also has better accuracy and base power...

I know the only drawback is it gives the opponent a free switc if they have a storm drain/water absorb pokemon present. but I think the benefits outweigh the drawbacks...
Switching happens a lot in the metagame, so Shell Blade is arguably the better choice for Cloyster. It also has a 50/50 chance of lowering the opponent's Defense, like Crush Claw.

Before I start my post, I just want to say that I always fucking loved Cloyster, and it's such an awesome thing to see it being so boss now.

And, about the King's Rock discussion, it'd be pretty interesting, considering that Cloyster really wants to avoid hits after a Shell Break. Exactly how physically bulky is it after Shell Break?

Before I start my post, I just want to say that I always fucking loved Cloyster, and it's such an awesome thing to see it being so boss now.

And, about the King's Rock discussion, it'd be pretty interesting, considering that Cloyster really wants to avoid hits after a Shell Break. Exactly how physically bulky is it after Shell Break?
A cloyster with no defense EVs will have 264 defense and 242 HP, so it's not paper, but it's weak

If you can spare an item slot to help Cloyster's bulkiness, use White Herb instead to negate the -def/spdef so it can have it's massive base 180 def intact, although it's still screwed on the special side.

A cloyster with no defense EVs will have 264 defense and 242 HP, so it's not paper, but it's weak
actually, it's 241 HP and 297 Defence, with a neutral nature for defence, that is...

also, Sp. def is 94.5 - neutral nature, no EV's...

if you want to boost it more than that, I'd just get something like Evo stone Chansey to keep your Sdef up, and then do something like 252 ATK, x HP, Y Speed or Def...

it's up to you though, I'm not good at EV's

actually, it's 241 HP and 297 Defence, with a neutral nature for defence, that is...

also, Sp. def is 94.5 - neutral nature, no EV's...

if you want to boost it more than that, I'd just get something like Evo stone Chansey to keep your Sdef up, and then do something like 252 ATK, x HP, Y Speed or Def...

it's up to you though, I'm not good at EV's
uhhh, my calcs were right. I assumed 4 EVs in HP, but you could put them in SpA if you wanted, if you really think those 2 extra SpA points will change much

Its not quite good enough for OU but its going to be a huge threat in UU, i bet.
This thing can be a terror. It is WAY beyond UU. It is phenomenal and really tough to beat short of Ditto or some weather poke who isn't weak to Ice or a very very bulky water poke.

I like using a set of Shell Smash/Ice Shard/Icicle Spear/Shell Blade. I don't see the need of Hydro Pump on Cloyster since it'll smash through most stuff anyways and Shell Blade has a chance of lowering defense. I guess Rock Blast is an option but I don't like giving up Ice Shard since Breloom then wins and Ice Shard is very useful to make some other Choice Scarfers pay for trying to outspeed you. But whatever. Little lives through a Cloyster rampage. Once bulky things that resist Ice/Water are gone or things like Forretress, then Cloyster can really start to play.

lmitchell0012

Wi-Fi Blacklisted
Just out of curiousity, how much damage does rock blast do against the standard suicune and vaporeon sets (assuming it has a life orb)?? Even after a boost, I don't think this thing will be able to OHKO them and a choice specs HP electric from either of them can probably OHKO him.

Just out of curiousity, how much damage does rock blast do against the standard suicune and vaporeon sets (assuming it has a life orb)?? Even after a boost, I don't think this thing will be able to OHKO them and a choice specs HP electric from either of them can probably OHKO him.
+2 Life Orb Rock Blast vrs 252/252 Bold Suicune: 50.5-59.65%
+2 Same Rock Blast vrs 448 hp/max def Vaporeon: 68.53-80.8%
+2 Same Rock Blast vrs Offensive Suicune: 81.23-95.89%

Defensive Suicune Surf vrs -1 SDef Cloyster: 54.36-64.32% (Lol)
Vaporeon Surf 273 SAtk vrs -1 SDef Cloyster: 68.46-80.91%

I'm not sure why Suicune/Vaporeon would be throwing a Specs boosted Hp Electric because that would lock them in. They're more likely to be throwing out Surfs or Boiling Water but yeah, Vaporeon would ohko with Hp Electric as would Suicune if it's carrying it (with or without Specs). But Suicune and Vaporeon are not Cloyster's biggest threats anyways. Especially since defensive Suicune loses (without Hp Electric) and offensive does as well if it takes Stealth Rock damage.

This has been running on my mind for a while. Would the move Clamp have a place on his set? Being able to trap opponents seems useful, unless I'm getting the mechanics of the move wrong.

Trapping an opponent can be useful at times, but Cloyster has the sheer power to 2HKO almost anything after a Shell Break so it would really just be wasting its time trying to trap things when it could just power through them.

This has been running on my mind for a while. Would the move Clamp have a place on his set? Being able to trap opponents seems useful, unless I'm getting the mechanics of the move wrong.
Clamp does not benefit from Skill Link, if I recall correctly. It does not hit successive times in a turn, but one time per turn over 2-5 turns. It's a Water-type Wrap, in effect, so you're never guaranteed 5 turns of Clamp.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)