coolest/most unique/most interesting final fantasy characters (spoilers!!)

looking back i've poured thousands of hours into the final fantasy series. and sure, the cast of characters all generally fit into predictable archetypes: reluctant hero, obnoxious weebo girl, silent badass, and so forth. but we still love 'em. and some characters truly break that mould. so what ff characters do you really like, and why?

auron i think is an underrated badass. his voice actor absolutely nailed the role: he's equal parts vulnerable, wise, battle-hardened, noble. this bro takes his promises seriously, given that he willed himself to continue quasi-living after death.

vivi: underrated and totally awesome. if you don't love vivi you have no heart. period.

love my nigga barrett. the guy is just cool. usually environmentalists are giant pussies, but barrett is into some extreme shit. he doesn't parade like a tool with a sign, he fights the man with a gun grafted onto his arm.

lulu: she's got pretty sexy polygonal boobies, and she's actually a strong female lead. lightning was contrived: it felt like the story writers were begging me to accept her as a strong female character, but lulu has no need for similar theatrics. she just comes of that way, it's sorta subtle.

kimhari: i know i know a lot of ffx love, but he's just cool. and the scene where he smiles after yuna and tidus kiss is priceless.

balthier: character development is not a strong point of ff12, but balthier is just smooth.

irvine: i think this guy is pretty cool, a legit ladies man.

anyways, there are definitely more, but this is what i feel like writing for now.

i actually don't find the cloud/sephiroth love affair that played out, but i really hope that no "edgy" old school users list ff6 or ff4 characters. you might have to readjust your rose-tinted glasses because most of the characters from early ffs are kinda terrible, even kefka. although ff13, we can all agree, has the worst cast. only ff i never finished. in fact, you're free to talk about characters you hate for whatever reason.

^ lol, nothing like a cosmic universe destroyer

I always thought FFII and V as a whole were underrated, with Josef arguably being the first heroic sacrifice that tugged at heartstrings, just not without an elaborate Aerith cg scene. Bartz is funny and gets to party (eventually) with 3 chicks, nothing to dislike there, along with Galuf being another rather sad sacrifice.

FFTA also had some decent ones.

zidane stood out among the brooding emo spiky haired teen protagonists

although ingame cloud was actually kind of goofy and lighthearted compared to the advent children shitheap

(dilly dally shilly shally, kill me)

Zidane was my favorite character in Dissidia, though I actually didn't play his FF.

Vincent from VII was pretty much the coolest guy, with the coolest backstory IMO.

How is ViVi underrated? Everyone I know who plays Final Fantasy games puts him as their favorite character.

I'd say my favorites in no particular order are, Sazh, Lightning, Balthier, Wakka, Vivi, and Ramza.

JabbaTheGriffin

Stormblessed
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
If you think the characters from ffvi are shit, and then listed two shitty characters and a cliche "badass" from ffx, maybe you're the one that should get your glasses fixed.

In ffvi, Shadow and Locke alone are enough to make all the ffx characters look like one dimensional characters with annoying voices (they are). Also Leo is the badass that Auron wishes he was.

If you found FFV's characters extremely annoying/cliche, you missed the point. The game's cast, in general, was a running parody of the earlier game's characters. The most notable of this being Exdeath, who is probably the funniest villain in the history of FF. Galuf, Faris and Lenna were, despite the satire, well-written characters. Galuf's death and when Lenna had to go through the field of poison flowers to save Hiryu are still probably two of the most emotional moments I've seen in a videogame.

Other mention goes to Kuja, for being the most interesting (and vulnerable) main villain in a videogame ever.

Also, Celes and Ashe get props for being true strong female leads. Lightning, Yuna and Lulu have nothing on either of them.

Vineon

Fleurdelysé
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
man, amano's an artist on a level far beyond everyone else in the gaming industry
I enjoy that the guy's art is either loved or much hated.

His "art" personally repulses me and I understand little why so many people enjoy his work. But what do I know about art.

I enjoy that the guy's art is either loved or much hated.

His "art" personally repulses me and I understand little why some people enjoy his work. But what do I know about art.
Love it or hate it, I hope everyone can agree that his odd style is better than Nomura's cookie-cutter (yet somehow still especially awful looking) anime designs.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)