Countdown to XY: A Nostalgia Thread

Can't Wait for Pokemon X and Y O_O. It's lest than a month away!

Day 1 Question:
My first memory of Pokémon is Pokémon Diamond.
But I have played the Older Games.

Day 2 Question:
Like Most People with Pokémon Diamond....
DAT SHINY BIDOOF!

Day 3 Question:
Well the Closest I've came to completing the Pokédex Is... Well really Never.
For Pokémon I was really that Exploration Guy around the corner that new lots of things.
But for Pokemon X and Y this will be my Goal! To Complete the Pokédex!

Day 4 Question:
My first Level 100 Pokémon was my Empoleon :D That was named Piplup....

Last edited:
Never tried to catch 'em all in my childhood. In later years I tried with crystal but then suddenly I didn't give a crap anymore.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
Very nice posts from everyone so far!

Day 3: How close have you come to "catching 'em all"?
My Diamond game has a 100% complete dex which I am very happy about :) I think I've caught most of the Unova mons too but I am looking forward to completing the 6th Gen dex :) I've had a Gen 1 game with 150 and a Gen 2 game with 249... Nearly all but missing 2 critical Pokemon :( Mew and Celebi...

It was great to finally get events for mons like Arceus, Darkrai, Mew, Celebi, Jirachi, Deoxys etc.. Like there is finally a chance for someone to totally complete their dex.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Well on the topic of shiny Pokemon, me and my brother used to call them 'sparkly', so my first sparkly was a staryu in silver version. Pretty sure it was on the boardwalk south of Lavender town, although looking at online guides now apparently you can't find them there o_0
One infamous encounter I had was with an orange Oddish on silver, which I failed to catch because I ran out of pokeballs, so I murdered it in frustration. My first encounter in New Mauville was a shiny Magnemite which I named rusty. It kicked ass all game. Then, being a naive young kid, wanted to restart the story again, and I thought 'eh, I just catch another one..' I was never so wrong. That could have been a shiny Magnezone by now

As for catching them all, I've always been more about replaying the games over and over, so I never really caught more than what I needed for my team. With the new incentives to complete the dex that BW2 brought though (egg hatcher and shiny charms), I've actually tried this time. If it weren't for a couple of events I missed (Shaymin and Jirachi) I could have done it!

In Black and White I could have them all (bar Mew, Celebi, Jirachi, Keldeo, Arceus, Meloetta, and Deoxys) if they made evolutionairy stones easier to obtain -_-. I think I am around 580 or so but if I did all the trading evolutions I could do I think I would be around 600. But again, in the original White evolution stones are nigh impossible to get a hold of and I just don't feel like looking for dust clouds. Speaking of which, the trade items can be a bit annoying too. Maybe next generation...

Day 1: What is your first memory of Pokémon?
I remember the day my mom came home from I guess Toys R Us and left me a bag by the computer. It was a purple Gameboy Color with Pokemon Silbver and a Pokemon Silver Carrying Bag accessory. I can't really remember the REASON she bought me this...either it being that I was really good in school or I had earned it because I did al my chores for a while, but I was the happiest kid alive then. Everywhere I went, my Gameboy went with me. Soon I would meet another person who ALSO had a Gameboy. It was one of my babysitters kids that she would watch, but I think he was about my age (8-10).I eventually bought a link cable just encase I met him again so I could try out the time-travel feature on the game. He indeed did have Gold and Blue and I traded a couple of Pokemon he didn't want from his Blue to my Silver, omg it was great. Soon after he moved away from the city so I didn't have a trading partner anymore, but then something else happen, my babysitters daughter ended up getting a Gameboy Color with a couple of meh games like that one Powerpuff Girls video game. Regardless I a this time had beaten Pokemon Red which I had bought at an old EBGames store when they were still around in America. Now every time I would go over her house I would ask to borrow her GBC when she wasn't using it so I could get the exclusive mons from my Red to my Silver and also Evolve Pokemon that could ONLY evolve through Trading. I think this is long enough for now so I'll just stop here.

Day 2: What was your first experience with a shiny Pokémon?
Excluding the Shiny Gyarados my very first encounter that I can REMEMBER was a Shiny Abra...you can guess what happened next. The next encounter I had was at the Park where you would catch Pinsir and Scyther. Lucky for me I ran into a Silver Pinsir & GODDAMMIT I WAS SOOOOOO CLOSE to getting it, but alas it ran off when I made it mad -_-. The last encounter (from Gen 2 anyway) was a good one and early! I had encountered a Shiny Bellsprout right after getting the Pokeballs from the guy in Viridian. Oh my god, I was sooooooo happy when I got that guy, it stayed in my party throughout the WHOLE play through :) After that I had found out about Action Replay and the rest is history excpet the time I caught a Shiny Wingull but...I traded it for a Deoxys and the rest is history.

Pokemon Silver...I tried my damnedest but there were still Pokes like Mew and Celebi that I had to use gameshark to get so I don't count that as having truly gotten them all.

Day 1: First Memory of Pokemon?
My mom bought me one of those see through purple game boy colors when i was around 6 years old. I must've gone through a couple dozen batteries just on Red. I spent the entire game just bulldozing through it with my team of Charizard, Nidoking, and Raichu if I remember correctly. Even got the little attachable light so it could be played at night. :D

Day 2: First Shiny Experience?
I used to be pretty lucky with shinies. I first found a shiny ratatta (sp?) on the way to Mr. Pokemons House in Silver. I had no pokeballs at the time, and so I used him for simple exp. Then of course, I got the red gyarados, and even found a shiny Larvitar at Mt. Silver. However, I never really knew what they were supposed to be. I thought they were just one of a kind for each species. I didn't find any in 3rd Gen until I picked up Emerald, Emerald gave me a shiny Electrike, a shiny Wailmer, and even a shiny Trapinch. However, since then, my shiny abilities have been lacking except for soft resetting to get a shiny starter.

Day 3: Dex Completion?
Yeah, about that...never really been a catch em all guy. My fullest pokedex was my Silver, in which I had managed every poke except for the chansey, dratini, and sneasel families. (Sneasel was a weirdly elusive poke for me back then.) Since then, I haven't even tried.

Stone RG

Megas are broke
Damn i lost Day 2, oh well, ill tell ya guys either way: I've had quite some luck in this 3 years with shiny pokes (ive encountered a total of 10 w/o counting lake of rage gyara, or Natural Reserve Haxorus), but my first memory is in the Safari Zone of FireRed, by then i trained all the pokemon i caught, whichw ere more than 15, and i went to the safari zone to catch more pokes to fill up my dex (gotta catch 'em all :]) i met a shiny venomoth. Now obviously i should catch it shouldnt i? Well, ive always been a neurotic on this kind of stuff: i dont stand having a pokemon that wasnt trained solely by me from its first stage, and therefore i ran. I was a pretty dumb 12 year old, i tried to catch a shiny chansey that was on that same run through the safari zone but it ran.

Day 3:
Does watching them all count? I have 600 seen in BW2's national dex, only missing some event pokes, almost 400 caught :] Bar for that, in Platinum i almost filled the entire national dex, between trading with my HG/SS and transfering from Emerald, i got more than 300 caught, not that much ik, but its quite the acomishment to me.

Day 1 Question:
My first memory of Pokémon is Pokémon Blue.

Day 2 Question:
Pokemon Diamond
Shiny Golbat(caught) and Shiny Bidoof(no pokeballs :/)

Day 3 Question:
Well the Closest I've came to completing the Pokédex Is...
Pokemon Blue, I remember the Tauros being the most annoying thing to catch in Safari.

LilOu

PO poopyhead

In the last 2 days I had experiences to share; however, now I can't say the same :[ I can't remember clearly when I was the closest to catch 'em all, but I can bet that (in the case I was) I wasn't :]

tl; dr:

Last edited:
Wow, I really like this tread! Catchup on the first two questions:

Day 1:
My first memory of pokémon was the second gym episode of the anime, where Ash battled Misty. My neighbour had told me and my brother that there was a cool show at nine on saturday mornings. A little time afterwards, my brother and I collected all of our pocket money and used every single coin we had to buy a gameboy colour and pokemon yellow version. I was maybe nine or ten, and did not know english very well by then (though, we learned a lot from the games). But playing through it together was the best gaming experience to date. Played every gen since then.

Day 2:
In my silver version I encountered a shiny Girafarig. Did not catch it, because, I dunno. Maybe the box was full, or I'm the biggest dumbass. Even though I have played a ridiculous amount of hours since then, the only shiny encounter I've had since then was a... kricketune. Well. It was beautiful and golden and I had an entire box just for it on my Pearl save file.

Day 3:
Regional dex for Sapphire is the only one that I ever compleated. I've always played pokemon for competitive purposes, but never really had friends nearby to compete with. Thank you smogonites, for being the competitors my Swedish classmates in grade school never was!

Day 3: I completed the Unova dex in Black. I'm currently working on completing the Hoenn dex in Emerald... Even though I technically only have around 110 mons registered, I have most of the hard evolutions out of the way (Salamence, Metagross, Rhydon, Kingdra, Flygon, etc.)
Never even came close to completing the national dex in any game.

Day 1: My first experience with pokemon was at my friend's house in 3rd or 4th grade where I found his gameboy that he lost a year before. I beat Tate and Liza for him (the game was Sapphire) and proceeded to complete the rest of the story. From then on I was really hooked on the games. I didn't watch much of the anime, and I only collected the cards because they looked cool. Unfortunately, I do not own a Sapphire of my own. My friend still has my file on his GBA however.
Day 2: I actually got my first shiny before the Red Gyarados (I caught my first Gyara in SS). I was screwing around with the Poke Radar on Route 206 in Platinum because I thought Baltoy was the shit back then, and I ended up with a shiny Geodude. He is now in my Pokemon White game at Lv. 26 as a Golem. Other shinies I've caught were the Gyarados, an Audino (B2), a Durant, and the Haxorus in B2 (Gible/Dratini doesn't count imo, you don't catch them)
Day 3: Unfortunately I've never had any ambitions towards catching them all. I did however manage to see all 299 required Pokemon in the Unova Dex (+2 because of Keldeo and Genesect) which took me 5 days and a hell of a lot of GTSing and breeding. I also learned that a lot of people on regular GTS (not negotiations) will trade stuff for a Lv. 1 Zorua with U-turn (Bred the N Zoroark and hatched it).

Day 1: What is your first memory of Pokémon?

It was probably the anime. I watched my friends play poémon RB and GS all the time. Didn't get my own game system till 3rd gen.

Day 2: What was your first experience with a shiny Pokémon?

A shiny Azelf! Insta-masterball'd it of course. It was timid (yay!) but had average IV's.

Closest was in 4th gen, I had about 420ish of the 493. I didn't have the energy to breed/evolve everything again after that (those pesky mid evolutions...)

We're going to play pokemon!

What's that?

You can be squirtle. He shoots water.

Um... ok... not sure why a squirrel would shoot water... what does shooting water even look like?

Nevermind, he wants to be squirtle. You can be Abra.

What does Abra do?

He sleeps and says Abra. Sit over there and close your eyes and say Abraaaaaa.
Surely this entire pokemon thing was stupid.

Golden Caterpie? I AM THE LUCKIEST MOST SPECIAL PERSON. GOLDEN METAPOD, OH YES. GOLDEN BUTT..... pink Butterfree? Why is it.... *sigh* I guess that's still cool.

I don't do that. /:
Maybe this time, with the pokemon bank thing and whatnot.

Day 4: What was your first level 100 Pokémon?

Probably my Pikachu in Pokémon Red since my team was based around the anime.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Mine was the mighty Mewtwo in Silver, with the even mightier moveset of Flamethrower, Ice Beam, Thunderbolt and Recover. I just used him to exp. share grind in the E4. That Silver cart was probably the only game i had with a bunch of level 100's on account of my constant resetting of my games, it still feels like an accomplishment when I do get them all the way to 100 now

Day 4: What was your first level 100 Pokémon?
I believe that my first level 100 Pokémon I leveled up completely by myself, and without aid from Rare Candies, was either my Sceptile in Emerald, or my Typhlosion in Crystal.
If you mean just any level 100 Pokémon in general, then my answer would be either my level 100 Charizard in Red (courtesy of the Missingno. Glitch), or level 100 Charizard in LeafGreen (which I leveled up myself until about level 95, where I gave up, but my older brother had the patience to finish leveling it up, since he had already leveled up his own Charizard); I can't really remember which one was first...

My Starmie :3 I actually tried fishing for a Natural Cure Starmie, got a Modest one with nice IVs, taught it Ice Beam, thunderbolt, Recover and Hydro Pump, and EV trained it so it could have fun in the EMerald E4 with my Swampert. Gee, what a waste of my time though

Hulavuta

keeps the varmints on the run
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Lol. You are all probably sick of hearing about it but I actually never legitimately trained a Pokemon to level 100. The closest I came to was training Bob the Blastoise to level 98 before my game, as most of you know, broke. After I got Diamond version, I Action Replay'd 999 Rare Candies and just used that to get all my Pokemon to level 100, and I don't even remember who was first. So I guess this is one memory I will never have.

Day 4: Staraptor in my Platinum! I remember finally getting that last bit of Exp. in the Survival Area. If you mean just a normal level 100, than either a Magnezone or a Deoxys that I traded for. Now that I look back on it, trading away all my legendaries for cool Pokemon(when I was 8) wasn't actually a very good idea.

Day 1: My first memory of Pokemon? I was with my cousins in Boston, and they were playing Pokemon Silver. One of my cousins joked about how if you used the Fly HM on a Miltank. I was really surprised and thought this was awesome, but quickly forgot about it. I didn't recall this experience until later during a run-through of SoulSilver when I was absent-mindedly trying to Fly on a Miltank.

Day 2: My first Shiny experience? A Zigzagoon. And so was my second and third. I still have all three, and all were caught in the grass on Route 118. In fact, they were all caught within a month apart in the same cartridge, and I didn't see another random Shiny encounter until a random playthrough of Diamond (or was it Platinum...?) where I saw a Shiny Kricketot.

Day 3: Uh...I love having a completed Pokedex. :3 I've done it in my Pearl version (thanks My Pokemon Ranch for giving me goals), Black, and I'm almost done with Black 2. I WILL finish before I start X.

Day 4: My first level 100? Great question - my first starter, Swampert! Next was a Rayquaza, then a Walrein.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)