Countdown to XY: A Nostalgia Thread

I'm late on this, but I remember my cousins told me for Platinum that if you drew circles around the pokeball on the bottom screen during the capture sequence, then the capture would work much better. Of course it acted like a placebo and seemed to "actually help".

You can still see some of the circular marks from attempts at catching giratina

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Every seven days of the countdown, I am going to post one topic that asks you to think forward instead of backward. After all, our memories influence our emotions in the present and the choices we make in the future.

Day 7: Which aspect of XY are you looking forward to the most?

Explain why for bonus brownie points!

Hulavuta

keeps the varmints on the run
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Definitely seeing my old Pokemon in 3D with the new graphics!

Second is playing with the new Wi-Fi features since I finally have a 3DS.

This is a hard question. There are so many things to look forward to in XY. I guess if I had to pick one thing, it would be Pokémon Amie. I've been a fan of Nintendogs and always wanted a Pokémon verson of it. Now that we'll have it, I can look forward to playing with my Pokémon. I'm sure other players will love to feed, play, and bond with their Pokémon too. I feel bad for Gardevoir, though.

Mega Evolutions are a close second, though. That will definitely be bad-ass.

Last edited:
Oh my Arceus, where do I start?
Could be Pokemon-Amie.
Could be the more detailed stat screens.
Could be all the awesome new mons.

But the one that stands out above all would probably be Sky Battles. I mean, seriously, a whole new type of battle? Awesome! I wonder what happens when you use Smack Down or Gravity in a sky battle. But anyway, my Level 100 Latios can't wait to kick butt up in the air. 23 days to go!

EDIT: Yeah, as Inanimate said below, I too am excited for a fresh new region and storyline- the old ones do get stale after a while.

Last edited:
Day 7: omg i'm going to win all of the brownie points guyzzz

Actually, like khaozz13 was saying, this is a really hard question. I'm generally just excited about the new region in general...but I think I'm the most excited for the in-game playthrough, since that's what I love to do. :) I've absolutely torn apart Sinnoh and Unova because of how many times I would restart those games...and I guess I've been craving a fresh region for a while, now. Or at least something that's new and fresh. I've been doing Nuzlockes and Scrambles and Monotype runs and all sorts of stuff, all to try to get a hit of that new game feeling. Which is something incredible - realizing you missed something your first run-through, knowing what will make the later game harder and taking that route for that reason...and just the general feeling of wonder and awe because of all the fresh sights to see, and all of the new Pokemon. It really makes you feel like a trailblazer.

And also Dedenne and Amaura.

It's hard to say cos I like most of the stuff that's been revealed so far. To summarise:

-That all pokemon are now 3D!
-The DW returns
-Fairy-type pokemon
-Pokebank
-Mega Pokémon!
-Character customisation (to a lesser extent)

Last edited:

dwarfstar

mindless philosopher
Day 7: It could be glorious frogs, an owl-squid, and the Tyrannosaurus Pokemon we've all been waiting for since we were small children. It could be the chance to take Bulbasaur with me through Kalos...
Nah, screw it, CHARACTER CUSTOMIZATION. I've been waiting for that since I first started playing Pokemon.

But wait, it gets better... From what I've seen in screenshots and the new Japanese trailer, your character can crossdress. This is the funniest thing in the history of the series, which is why character customization takes the number one spot.

Day 7:
I feel like this gen will be the closest thing to real life Pokemon we have had so far. So Pokemon Amie is on the top of my list atm. I really feel like I'd be able to invest myself more into this game than in other gens.

Also MegaCharizard. I love that guy.

Day 7:

Sitting on benches and not needing to hold down B to run. Those are simple things that should have been in place a while ago.

If those don't count, then it is definitely the fact that you can get the Kanto starters and the pokemon bank, so I can now play with the Kanto starters (I've never gotten that far on my copy of Soul Silver). The pokemon bank so I won't need a second copy if I want to reset my game without loosing any pokemon, because I've collected a large stash of legendaries and I would hate to lose any of them.

everything that everyone else has mentioned. I haven't been following X and Y spoilers and stuff too closely, but the EV training program and the Mega-Evolutions lol seem really cool features

Day 7:....I'm supposed to be able to choose??? I can't wait for mega evos, sylveon, super training, sylveon, two starters at the beginning (screw the monkeys), sylveon, pokemon bank, and more sylveon. Sorry, I just find the thing so adorable. :)

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
DAY 7:

Recently I let it slip to a couple of old high school mates that I still play Pokémon, and it turned out they they're also closet players themselves (albeit not as serious as me), so they've gone out and bought 3DS's and pre ordered the games, so what I'm most excited for this gen is actually having IRL friends to play through the games, share stories, trade for version exclusives / trade evos, all that stuff, which I haven't done since I was a kid. I think that itself is going to make this a particularly memorable generation for me.

As for aspects of the actual game I'm excited for, I have high hopes for the customisation of your character and Pokémon. With the new worldwide take on the game it seems they want more individuality for all of the players which will be good if done well. Whenever a game has any sort of customisation I always waste time in it. I just got the new GTA, and I've spent more time giving my guy haircuts and pimping my ride than completing missions!

Last edited:
Day 7

The aspect I'm looking forward too most about X and Y is actually mega evoloutions. I feel it is a really cool way to grant buffs to some pokemon while also allowing their original selves to still be viable, if you choose to use them. While some older forms will be outclassed entirely by their new forms, (absol) most of these cases welcome the added assistance. The main mega evoloution I look forward to is ABSOL. Magic bounce giving it immunity to non attacking moves, ability to block stealth rocks, more attack, more speed and hopefully some useful tutors in this gen absol is going to be a beasttttt! Not to mention it's new for is so SEXYYYYYYYY! I'm just too excited for my favorite mon to get a nice boost.

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor
I'm going to take the other road and say that I'm not REALLY following XY but the major things I do know I hate, as you will know if you go on #orangeislands during one of my rants (those have died down lately though, you have to find times where RODAN's not there to kick you -_-).
Scrolling down the thread and I have found one thing I like: Being able to see EVs. I feel this is looong overdue and it means you can IV calc late-game if you keep putting it off which really disappointed me (no I am not resetting my crappy Pokemon's IVs and great just by playing them you can tell (except DHR)) so this is very good. The Pokemon designs so far that I like are: Froakie, Helioptile and Mega Mawile, but most of the good things about Mega Mawile dissipate when you realize she is part of the flawed system called mega-evolutions. They also HAD to give her Huge Power which killed much more of the fun, and I actually wanted Mawile to get an evo this gen so Mawile could be quite bulky in NU/RU next gen, but they HAD to make her a fucking fairy and make her have an evolution AND SHE STILL CAN'T ABUSE EVIOLITE!

Will probably make a much larger post on my dislikes of XY later just to make this thread more jolly! ^_^

What I'm looking forward to is that I'll have something to fap to with the Team Flare scientists :D.

But seriously. I wasn't that bothered at first but now I'm really loving the idea of character customisation. I can imagine there will be tons of options available for us. If that all carries over to WiFi battling (instead of picking a generic sprite like inpast generations) then that'd be damn cool. If Gamefreak and Nintendo were nice they could give us updates for X&Y which gives us more clothing and stuff? Just a thought.

I'm of course also really looking forward to all the new Pokemon. It seems that they're really pulling out all the stops to bring Pokemon with new type combinations and abilities. By doing that, and by making EVs a lot more accessible, it just seems like they've acknowledged us and are gearing things up towards the metagame. I expect Gen 6 to be full of the most competitive Pokemon out there. Just you watch. Of course, with all this experimentation with types and abilities, also expect some duds.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
Every seven days of the countdown, I am going to post one topic that asks you to think forward instead of backward. After all, our memories influence our emotions in the present and the choices we make in the future.

I love that top quote Stellar... It's great. Very true and fairly deep :o

XY... What am I looking forward to most... Hmmm.. I don't honestly know. I don't think I have ever been this excited for a new Pokemon Game. The whole 3D Pokemon, updated calls and moves and generally exploring. For once I think I will actively look into caves/stairways to underground lairs and stuff. The amount of caves that seem to be in Kalos is pretty large judging by the holes in walls on the map. In most other Pokemon games I actively avoid exploring caves any more than I have too (As in, to catch a certain Pokemon like Bagon (Meteor Falls), Tyrogue (Mt Mortar), Riolu (Iron Island), Lapras (Union Cave) and then obviously to progress story [Fuck Mt Coronet]). Yet, as of now, I feel like the caves will genuinely be interestingly designed with good puzzles and the like to explore and find new Pokemon.

I have to be honest that NOT knowing what Pokemon is where is also a super big thing. For BW and BW2 I virtually had my initial teams 100% planned before the games even came here thanks to the route information we got from Japan. I always knew my Black 2 team was going to have 4 or 5 of the early mons right from when we had the data available. In XY that is really not an option, we literally have to play it by ear like I did back with Red/Gold/Sapphire and to an extent Diamond. I'll probably be a bit more picky when it comes to my second play through, but even so I will likely be discovering new Pokemon all the time anyway :D

Day 7:
The biggest thing I'm looking forward to is being able to play this game without japanese spoilers. I'm going to stay away from pokémon sites if I notice any big leaks (like someone getting their game early) so it will be so awesome to discover all the new pokémon in the actual game, that is something I haven't been doing since Silver. Also looking forward to the new improved graphics, and to see my shinys in full 3D (thought that will have to wait until the Bank and poke transporter is up).

All new Pokémon, Mega Evolutions, and more visible/accessible EVs. I feel like all of these (obviously, new Pokémon will :P) are just a few things that will help make X and Y great games!

I'm looking forward to testing the new pokemon, fairy type, new abilities, items etc. I'm curious on how the competitive metagames are gonna be changed.

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Day 7: As we approach a new generation, it's always exciting to see what mechanics have changed to spice up the game. Fairies? Ridable Pokemon that can clear obstacles? Mega Pokemon??!? New effects and moves? What shenanigans the evil team is up to this time? To be honest the announcement of the new type-chart was a bit of a buzzkill since we have no need to test out Fairy's effectiveness like how some of us use Kecleon to determine a Hidden Power before those IV guys showed up and ruined the surprise (in a game where TMs are reusable no less, it's not like teaching/forgetting Hidden Power would be a big deal any longer), but I guess GF wants to make this a bit more user friendly since competitive aspects of Pokemon are pretty much out of their reach.

Last edited:

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I'm actually looking the most forward to see how old Pokémon will get new tools, and how they can use them.

The last generation, fan-favourite-but-generally-useless Politoed went from zero to hero. Dragonite got a spot in the limelight as #1 in the usage stats once, thanks to its new ability. If we go further back, we see Scizor rise to the top spot with the addition of Bullet Punch in Platinum(?), Wobbuffet be banned because of its ability, etc. Pokémon we regard as useless, or worse, mediocre (so nobody even joke about them) can rise to stardom in a generational shift. Some surprise us entirely, going from "on the verge of NU" to "on the verge of Uber" with a single blow. Pokémon we had never imagined to be useful, suddenly find themselves among the top 10 most used. Whether it is a new move, a new ability, or just how the general metagame changes (Amoonguss, Gastrodon), it's always fun to see a "dear old friend" soar from the bottom to the top of the barrel.

And then, there are the fallen stars. Yet, those can still kick ass in lower tiers, biding their time to rise to the top again some later generation...

Likewise, the constant addition of new moves, abilities and changes in availability can make previously boring Pokémon enormously fun to play with in-game. BW2 gave us Riolu from the start. Over the generations, some Pokémon's movepools have figuratively exploded, giving them a plethora of options to use throughout the story. Earlier, you may have been "forced" to use The One Decent Move if you want to use a specific Pokémon in your quest (and it might have learned its last remotely useful move at lvl 36, meaning it won't progress a tiny bit after you've cleared the fifth gym). As the generations progress, you get a lot more options, making each Pokémon more and more interesting to play with. I'd say Beedrill is an excellent example of this. Try to compare its moveset between the first and fifth generations.

Coronis

Impressively round
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Day 7: I don't think there's any one particular thing about it. 3D, Mega evos, Pokemon Bank, Pokemon Amie, all the new Pokemon I've seen so far, I've loved. Every new thing I see just makes me more excited for some reason. I can't remember being this hyped for a Pokemon game ever before.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)