Counter that RU Pokemon! Community Teambuilder - Heysup vs. Pearl.

Texas Cloverleaf

This user has a custom title
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
zdrup15 - 9
Zoap - 2
Lars - 1
Alexwolf - 1
HeySup - 1

One more landslide!

Cryogonal @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 40 HP / 252 SAtk / 216 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Ice Beam
- Haze
- Recover
- Rapid Spin

With Team 1 having so many hazards, we need to pick a spinner. Now we have the problem that they will still pick their spinblocker so we can't pick a specific one. My suggestion is to pick one that beats most of the existing ones, while still helping to keep the other Pokemon from Team 1 in check.

Cryogonal can switch into Rotom, Cofagrigus, and some Spiritomb and Dusknoir variants. It can also switch into Raichu, outspeed it, and Haze its boosts, neutering it. Only Clefable can switch into Ice Beam, taking 34,52% - 41,12%, which means it has to be in very good health at all times or it's over.

Teams so far:
Team 1: Scolipede, Clefable, Torterra, Raichu, Medicham
Team 2: Rhydon, Ludicolo, Weezing, Sigilyph, Cryogonal
Team 2 will now select their 6th and Final Pokemon, make sure this Pokemon covers all the remaining threats to the team.

zdrup, HeySup and Pearl all have 2 mons selected so far, making them the front runners for the chance to battle with the final teams.

Spiritomb (M) @ Choice Band
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Sucker Punch
- Shadow Sneak
- Pursuit
- Trick

CB Spiritomb would be really good for team 2. The main reason why I chose it was for Medicham, who is powerless against this set and otherwise wrecks this team. It can also beat the ghost type that team 1 will likely choose as a spin blocker. If they don't choose it, another likely choice is Jynx or SubCM Uxie, and Spiritomb totally destroys both of those. Spiritomb does beat TR NP Cofag: Sucker Punch 77.5 - 91.87% Shadow Sneak: 39.37 - 46.87%
It'll also provide much needed priority for team 2, helping to revenge stuff like Raichu or Scolipede. Shadow Sneak vs Raichu: 52.67 - 62.21%
vs. Scolipede: 35.87 - 42.74%.
Sucker Punch vs. Torterra: 47.12 - 55.58%

Overall, Spiritomb is really going to limit their last choice. Shadow Sneak will 2HKO Raichu and Scolipede after SR, and OHKO Medicham after SR. It can also help Cryogonal get the spin off by trapping opposing spin blockers.

SkullCandy

She Bangs The Drums
is a Contributor Alumnus
The 'mon I'm suggesting is:

Moltres @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
-Overheat
-Air Slash
-Hidden Power [Grass]
-U-turn

Choice Scarf Moltres would be excellent for this team. It can put pressure early on by being used as a lead to counter Scolipede. U-turn, Overheat and Air Slash would all be good moves in that situation. The first to gain momentum and a bit of damage as the opponent would probably switch out Scolipede for something like Clefable, whereas Air Slash and Overheat both hid hard (especially Overheat) and hit 3 and 2 of Team 1's 'mons for super effective damage, respectively.

Moltres would also work as a revenge killer and last-minute check. Torterra has +2 speed? Go to Moltres and KO with Overheat. Medicham just revenged something on Team 2? Bring in Moltres and spam Overheat. In fact, everything on Team 2 is OHKO'ed or 2HKO'ed by Overheat (counting the -2 drop) apart from Raikou, who is 2HKO'ed if rocks are up.

Although it would usually be a problem using Moltres as a scout/revenge killer due to Stealth Rock, the fact that Cryogonal is on the team nullifies that threat, as well as Moltres itself who is able to 2HKO the Stealth Rock user on Team 1.

As the post above mentioned, Team 1 is to chose a spin blocker as their final pick. Both Rotoms, Cofagrigus and Golurk are all severely hit by Overheat (Rotom is OHKO'ed, Rotom-A is 2HKO'ed) when using their standard sets although Dusknoir is a probelm.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Right now the team is amazingly weak to any form of Sceptile, especially SpecsTile, LO Manectric and Shell Smash Omastar which can rip through the team if given the chance...

In details, SpecTile outspeeds and 2hkoes every simple poke we have with Leaf Storm alone and SR up.
LO Manectric outspeeds and 2hkoes or ohkoes everything we have, again with just SR up.
Lastly Shell Smash Omastar easily sweeps the team after a Shell Smash, which it can get against Sigilyph, or against Weezing, which does a little above 50% with Tbolt.

For this reasons Scarf Moltres....

Fuck it ninja'd.

Damn...

In a second thought i want Fire Blast and Modest so i am going to post it:

Moltres @ Choice Scarf
nature: Modest
evs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe / 4 Def
-Fire Blast
-Air Slash
-HP Grass
-U-Turn

Moltres gives us a solid check to Scarf Medicham, which we currently lack as everything else is shaky check at best(Sigilyph OHKOed by Ice Punch, Weezing 2HKOed by Zen Headbutt and everything else wrecked by HJK), taking everything except Zen Headbutt with ease and ohkoing back. A Timid nature is chosen to outspeed even Timid Shell Smash Omastar, which is a potential pick for team 1 and could sweep us without Moltres.The best answer for team 1 as of now is Clefable, which takes 43,4%-51,27% a potential 2hko after if Clefable is at 90% or less. Moltres also has U-turn which is a very good move on scarfers. As mentioned again it counters many speedy threats for our team, such as Sceptile, Manectric and Shell Smash Omastar. Finally Scarf Moltres, currently outspeeds and 2hkoes almost everything on team 1.
Seeing as team 1 has most probably two options for the last slot, either a bulky water, or a spin-blocker, Moltres is fine with both. If they go for a bulky water we can 2hko the frailer ones like Feraligatr with HP Grass, and scout the others with U-turn, while spinning effortlessly. If they go for a spinblocker, then although we will have some trouble bringing Moltres in, when we do, everything on the opposing team gets 2hkoed, so cleaning late-game won't be so difficult. Don't forget that Cryogonal deals with most spin-blockers anyway.

EDIT: I forgot that we need a Timid nature to outspeed Shell Smash Omastar, so i just changed it

Right now the team is amazingly weak to any form of Sceptile, especially SpecsTile, LO Manectric and Shell Smash Omastar which can rip through the team if given the chance...

In details, SpecTile outspeeds and 2hkoes every simple poke we have with Leaf Storm alone and SR up.
LO Manectric outspeeds and 2hkoes or ohkoes everything we have, again with just SR up.
Lastly Shell Smash Omastar easily sweeps the team after a Shell Smash, which it can get against a Medicham locked into Ice Punch or Zen Headbutt, or against Weezing, which does a little above 50% with Tbolt.

For this reasons Scarf Moltres....
Sceptile is handled by Weezing. Omastar is handled by Cryogonal. Manectric will be pretty easy to handle based on the last slot.

Pearl

Romance は風のまま
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis the 7th Grand Slam Winneris a Past SPL Champion
Since Team 2 is relatively slow, weak to Medicham (which is kind of impossible to fix either way) and it isn't that easy to Rapid Spin with Cryogonal (since the next team will probably choose a Pokemon to block Rapid Spin as their last one), I'm going to suggest the following Pokemon:

Honchkrow @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Moxie
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature (+Spe, -SpD)
- Pursuit
- Night Slash
- Brave Bird
- Hidden Power Ground

I know this doesn't fix our weakness to Medicham, but since we have Pokemon that can take its powerful Hi Jump Kick already, having this to take Zen Headbutt should be good enough, since it means we can play around it. I also know it doesn't directly defeat stuff such as Cofagrigus, Rotom, and Dusknoir, but it can trap them once they've suffered enough damage. It benefits from Sigilyph's ability to absorb stuff like Will-O-Wisp, Cryogonal's Rapid Spin and can easily sweep during late game since Team 1's only resist to Flying-type moves is very frail. Besides that, it lures Steel- and Rock-types for our Clefable and our Sigilyph (it's very unlikely they choose one as their last Pokemon, but better safe than sorry). By the way: If Choice Scarf Moltres gets chosen I'm going to kill whoever voted it.

Oh, by the way: Clefable can check Life Orb Manectric, Weezing can check Sceptile and Cryogonal is a pretty solid answer to Omastar thanks to Haze.

SkullCandy

She Bangs The Drums
is a Contributor Alumnus
Sceptile is handled by Weezing. Omastar is handled by Cryogonal. Manectric will be pretty easy to handle based on the last slot.

How does Cryogonal handle Omastar?

Also, Sceptile is countered by Moltres, and both Manectric and Omastar are revenged by it. Any spin blocker in the tier takes a ton of damage from Overheat.

Pearl

Romance は風のまま
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis the 7th Grand Slam Winneris a Past SPL Champion
How does Cryogonal handle Omastar?

Also, Sceptile is countered by Moltres, and both Manectric and Omastar are revenged by it. Any spin blocker in the tier takes a ton of damage from Overheat.
scarf moltres is bad and that's all i'm going to say because i don't feel like arguing at this hours of the night.

SkullCandy

She Bangs The Drums
is a Contributor Alumnus
If you don't feel like arguing you probably shouldn't just dismiss someone's suggestion on personal opinion without backing it up.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Weezing is 2hkoed by SpecsTile after SR, and even without it sometimes, Cryogonal is 2hkoed by the weakest possible Omastar at +2 after SR (Timid Surf without LO does 75.6% minimum), and finally what?

We are supposed to chose something for the last slot, according to what troubles the team as of now, so Manectric as of now troubles this team right?
So if we don't pick something that can take on Manectric, it will still trouble it right?
That's why i proposed something that can handle it ok?

Everything i said goes for Pear too. Manectric, SpecsTile and Shell Smash Omastar are all huge threats for the team.

Weezing is 2hkoed by SpecsTile after SR, and even without it sometimes, Cryogonal is 2hkoed by the weakest possible Omastar at +2 after SR (Timid Surf without LO does 75.6% minimum), and finally what?
Specs Sceptile Leaf Storm vs. Weezing: 58.68 - 69.16%
-2: 29.34 - 34.73%

Ok it has a chance to 2HKO, but why would you want to be at at -4? Team 2 also has Sigilyph which resists Leaf Storm. Sceptile is easily played around, especially specs...

Ok I forgot that Cryo wasn't a special wall in here. Then again, Ludicolo can destroy Omastar. Just switch it in on the Shell Smash and regain all of your HP.

And Life Orb Manectric isn't that hard to counter or check. The last slot will probably handle it.

And I agree Scarf Moltres is pretty bad in general, and it has poor synergy with the rest of the team. Most teams resist its STAB moves, and being locked into a move when you're 4x weak to SR is horrible.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
Specs Sceptile Leaf Storm vs. Weezing: 58.68 - 69.16%
-2: 29.34 - 34.73%

Ok it has a chance to 2HKO, but why would you want to be at at -4? Team 2 also has Sigilyph which resists Leaf Storm. Sceptile is easily played around, especially specs...

Ok I forgot that Cryo wasn't a special wall in here. Then again, Ludicolo can destroy Omastar. Just switch it in on the Shell Smash and regain all of your HP.

And Life Orb Manectric isn't that hard to counter or check. The last slot will probably handle it.

And I agree Scarf Moltres is pretty bad in general, and it has poor synergy with the rest of the team. Most teams resist its STAB moves, and being locked into a move when you're 4x weak to SR is horrible.
You can't bring in prediction in that kind of thing. Is Sceptile able to 2hko everything with only 1 move? Yes! If you can play around it, is up to you, i am stating facts. If you want to go the prediction route, then if you decide to switch out after Weezing eats the first Leaf Storm, to tank the -2 Leaf Storm, i can also easily predict this and double switch. See?

Also Ludicolo can't simple regain back all it's HP. Any LO Omastar does 72%-92% depending on the nature with Ice Beam, so you better never bring Ludicolo in or he will be easily OHKOed after 2 SR switch-ins or one SR switch in and 1 round of LO.

Finally you keep saying the the last option will propably handle Manectric over and over. What is the point of this?
If we don't suggest something that deals with Manectric, it won't be handled, so let us do that pls...

This is kinda getting off topic now. Obviously prediction and playing is important. Specstile itself has to predict vs team 1 in order to get necessary KOs. Yes, Sceptile is a threat but it can be handled by the team as a whole. Giga Drain OHKO's Omastar and has a secondary effect of regaining HP. You switch Ludicolo in on the Shell Smash, otherwise Ice Beam only does 30.49 - 36.36%. If it Shell Smashes and then switches out, it loses its White Herb. Also everything suggested so far can handle Manectric. I don't see how Scarf Honch differs from the Scarf Moltres suggestion when beating LO Manectric. Moltres can't switch in anyways so I don't get your point. Do you want something to check Manectric or do you want a 100% solid counter? At this point in time, adding a 100% counter to a specific Pokemon is unwise, as team 1 might not pick that Pokemon. A more versatile Pokemon to deal with the possibilites is better. See: Pearl's description of Honchkrow.

You can't just think what looks good on paper is ok. Thinking about possible scenarios in the actual match instead of just having a good team with checks to something produces a much better result.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
This is kinda getting off topic now. Obviously prediction and playing is important. Specstile itself has to predict vs team 1 in order to get necessary KOs. Yes, Sceptile is a threat but it can be handled by the team as a whole. Giga Drain OHKO's Omastar and has a secondary effect of regaining HP. You switch Ludicolo in on the Shell Smash, otherwise Ice Beam only does 30.49 - 36.36%. If it Shell Smashes and then switches out, it loses its White Herb. Also everything suggested so far can handle Manectric. I don't see how Scarf Honch differs from the Scarf Moltres suggestion when beating LO Manectric. Moltres can't switch in anyways so I don't get your point. Do you want something to check Manectric or do you want a 100% solid counter? At this point in time, adding a 100% counter to a specific Pokemon is unwise, as team 1 might not pick that Pokemon. A more versatile Pokemon to deal with the possibilites is better. See: Pearl's description of Honchkrow.

You can't just think what looks good on paper is ok. Thinking about possible scenarios in the actual match instead of just having a good team with checks to something produces a much better result.
You still don't get it...

SpecsTile 2hkoes everything with Leaf Storm. No need for prediction. You press the Leaf Storm button 2 times and something dies.
Even if you switch out from the second one, which can be easily predicted, have fun taking another Leaf Storm later. Every time SpecsTile comes in, he can deal a minimum of 58% damage to our best answer with his primary attack. If this seems ok to you then i honestly forfeit.

Also what the hell are you telling about Shell Smash Omaster? If you want Ludicolo to check/counter Omastar he will be switching on Omastar, which means Omastar will be at +2/+2 and he will deal 72-92% with Ice Beam potentially ohkoing with a little residual damage. And don't mention White Herb, since i already mentioned that we are talking about LO Omastar.

Finally i am not saying that ScarfKrow is not a good check to Manectric. If you remember you answered to me before the Krow set was posted, saying that Manectric is not a problem because most propably it will be covered. Now tell me how this is even considered as an answer.

Finally as of now Scarf Modest Moltres outspeeds and 2hkos everything on team 1 with Fire Blast alone.

Texas Cloverleaf

This user has a custom title
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I think you guys have made your points clear enough.

Let's get back to submitting mons and let these points stand for persuasion later on.

Handles all 3 of the aforementioned special sweepers, in trolltastic fashion:

Kecleon (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Color Change
252 HP, 4 Atk, 252 SDef
Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
-Thunder Wave
-Knock Off
-Recover
-Return

I love this guy. I've been using him for the dark horse challenge for a while, and I haven't wanted to drop him yet. His combination of massive special bulk and type changing turns Leaf Storm/TBolt 2hkos into 3, enough time to paralyze and recover. He can't come in on Oma's Surf, but he can come in on SS, take one and paralyze, after which he can take them all day once he's a water type. Seriously, 372 SDef is awesome. And he can set up SR (usually over Knock Off), but Rhydon's got that covered.

TBH, I was gonna sing the little guy's praises regardless, but he actually fits this team pretty well, I think

lol dang it Ditto, you got it in before me. No seriously, Medicham will absolutely wreak team 2 if we don't have something faster, which we don't yet, or Spiritomb.

I might be in the wrong here, but the teams really feel "thrown together" with team 2 being that way more than team 1. At least team 1 has: weaken with hazards, sponge damage and weaken walls with Clefable and Torterra, clean up with Raichu or Medicham. Maybe it's just hard for me to see big picture on a team I didn't design, but I currently don't see a "goal" to team 2. I guess I can see: attempt to kill Raichu, burn everything else, sweep with Sigilyph... and I think it's too late to fix that.

I really want to do the Spiritomb set I listed before, but I think this might fill more of the gaps that are pretty huge in my opinnion.

Rotom @ Choice Scarf
Modest
Ability: Levitate
4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Volt Switch
Hidden Power (Ice)
Shadow Ball
Trick

Fills much needed roles of scout, spin blocker, and Raichu, Clefable, and Medicham checks. Rotom is also immune to spikes and is neutral to SR.

Team 2 really needs a scout and Rotom is a wonderful example because Torterra will be pretty cautious around HP ice, and volt switch is very nice for racking up damage.

Revenges Torterra (even at +2 Spe) and Medicham at full health (Hidden Power Ice and Shadow Ball respectively)
Cripples Clefable, and Raichu with Trick (locked into one move, they are really not threatening, due to other resistances on the team.

Aaand Rotom abuses Team 1's reliance on Grass Knot for coverage (it does absolutely pathetic damage because Rotom weighs less than tissue paper - Clefable, who is completely walled, does a max of 11% and even +2 Raichu does max of 28%)

This set will probably be focusing on revenging or switching in on an immunity (or Grass Knot), but Rotom actually has a bit of bulk. Only Torterra's Wood Hammer (127-150%) can OHKO and Medicham's Psycho Cut has a chance to OHKO after 1 SR (78-93%)

In fact, Rotom (at full health) beats every current member of the other team 1 v 1

I know Rotom is far less useful after it loses its scarf and the team compounds its weakness to even faster scarf users and TR NP cofagrigus, but I think it patches more holes than anything else can right now.

There was some discussion about certain sweepers above: SpecsTile, LO Manectric, SS Omastar, CS Moltres. Rotom helps check/revenge the first 3 (lightning rod sucks for scouting though), and I personally doubt CS Moltres will be voted for.

Klingklang@Life Orb
trait: Minus
132 HP / 252 Atk / 124 Spe
Naughty Nature (+Atk, -SDef)
-Gear Grind
-Shift Gear
-Return
-Volt Switch

Serves as a nice late game sweeper
or early game if the other team isn't ready for STAB Steel moves hitting kind of hard
Volt switch is for if you get in over your head

I'm thinking...
Camerupt @ choice specs.
252 hp, 252 spatk, 2 spdef (they don't do anything), 4 speed.
Lava Plume
Earth Power
Amnesia
Flamethrower/Fire Blast

This set can definitely crack down on the thee following pokes: Scolipede as he resists both STABs, Torterra because he's immune to one STAB and doesn't mind the other, and Raichu. These Ev's allow an OHKO all three barring defensive sets, or weakening berries. The air balloon helps to catch people unaware when they bring in Torterra to get the OHKO on Camerupt with Earthquake. This set runs a rash nature. However, he may require some entry hazard support.
EDIT: Forgot to mention amnesia, Camerupt is fodder for water pokemon, so knowing that a lot of water type attacks are special, amnesia helps modify that. One more thing, this Camerupt's ability is Solid Rock, meaning that supereffective moves deal only 75% of the full potential damage.

I'm thinking...
Camerupt @ air balloon
252 hp, 252 spatk, 2 spdef (they don't do anything), 4 speed.
Lava Plume
Earth Power
Amnesia
Flamethrower/Fire Blast

This set can definitely crack down on the thee following pokes: Scolipede as he resists both STABs, Torterra because he's immune to one STAB and doesn't mind the other, and Raichu. These Ev's allow an OHKO all three barring defensive sets, or weakening berries. The air balloon helps to catch people unaware when they bring in Torterra to get the OHKO on Camerupt with Earthquake. This set runs a rash nature. However, he may require some entry hazard support.
EDIT: Forgot to mention amnesia, Camerupt is
Not a bad set, but everyone knows what every set is, you can't "surprise" someone with Air Balloon because they know Camarupt has it. Also it's hard to say Air Balloon gives an immunity to ground especially since you might be switching into another move and boom, immunity gone. And since we know all the sets... neither team is using any weakening berries and Torterra is running some Def EVs (44 to be exact) while Scolipede and Raichu have the standard 4 Def and 4 SpD investment respectively.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)