Creative (and good) Movesets (READ THE OP FIRST)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gigalith doesn't have double STAB, it's a pure rock type.

Even if Psych Up did work, you're better off just spamming Dragon Pulse since it does more damage in the same amount of turns.

STAB Draco Meteor + Psych Up = 210 BP
2x STAB Dragon Pulse = 285 BP

Big difference. That doesn't even factor in that you can't use Specs with the Psych Up as you have one less move.

Wait, that Altaria set works better, since Power Swap drops Draco Meteor's power drop onto the enemy.

Exeggutor can do the same thing with Leaf Storm, actually.

Pidge

('◇')
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
Woah, Well ive never seen that before. I thought i had a very creative set. But he had it first so the credit goes to him.
Heh, don't worry. I wasn't knocking your creativity, just point out the previous thread about it, it's pretty amusing.

So this set similar to this was posted a while back, and I made some changes to it, but I want to see what you think of the new version:

Garchomp @ Leftovers / Rugged Helmet / Yache Berry
Rough Skin
Jolly
252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spd
--Swords Dance
--Dragon Tail
--Rest
--Sleep Talk

So, the main idea of this is to Swords Dance until you are low on health. At that point, you can Rest to heal yourself and put yourself to sleep. Then you use Sleep Talk to alternate between Swords Dance and Dragon Tail. The only thing is, if Sleep Talk is used, then Dragon Tail loses its negative priority, meaning that it becomes an incredibly fast phazing move. Additionally, it becomes twice as powerful each time because of the Swords Dances. It becomes difficult to kill due to the fact that it phazes you out before you can touch it, and even if you do touch it, it's bulky enough to take a few hits.
Reposting this set because it hasn't received any comments. Will update the OP with some other sets later.

Reposting this set because it hasn't received any comments. Will update the OP with some other sets later.
I preferred the D-Tail and Roar Sleep Talker. SD is all well and good to make D-Tail hit harder - but it's meant to be the hazards doing the damage, not the move. The main benefit I see is it letting you break subs - but Roar lets you simply blast them out through the sub - and the 2/3 rather than 1/3 chance of phazing is much better.

i'm not the greatest at EV spreads but why would you max speed on the sd restalk chomp? since chomp is in a speed tier of its own and the only way you can hit other chomps is a negative priority move, i don't see why you'd need to even try and speed tie with it, you're not going to try and rest in its face. the only situation i can see it helping in is if you're asleep and you're gonna try and sleep talk a dragon tail, which is pretty situational. i'd personally drop it down to outrun positive base 100s and then throw the remaining EVs into defense or attack.
just something to consider, for me its personal preference to avoid speed ties and throw some extra investment into defenses, for others it might be more favorable to at least give yourself the chance of winning that 50% chance

Has anyone bother to try Sand Strength Body Purge Gigaiasu? Body Purge gives you the speed boost and lowers your weight making grass knot ineffective when coupled with the sandstorm special defense boost while you start striking with double STAB Stone Edge off a base 135 attack stat. Seems like it could work given how bulky the thing is. With a Jolly nature you can easily reach 326 speed, I think. However, you might want to invest in bulk as well.
Stone Edge BP will become 200 precise.
Jolly 6/252/0/0/0/252 hits:

312 HP 369 Atk 296 Def 140 Sp.A 176 Sp.D 163 Spe
after a Body Purge, and in sandstorm, Sp.D is 264 and Spe is 326
200 BP move from a fast, bulky and powerful mon? YES PLEASE.

OK here is one of my leads and I think I've only seen one other like it.

Mamoswine @ Light Clay
Thickfat (it's a DW team)
252 spd/ 252 hp/ 4 atk
+spd - spec atk
Reflect
Light Screen
StealthRock
Ice Shard

Ice shard is to not be taunt bait and for an attacking move. Since mamo has good atk on his own it also makes a good revenger to dragons later on in the game. Set up the appropriate screen and then SR. It has real good survivability even w/out Def investment or lefties and mine usually comes back mid game to revenge or set up more screens.

Buff Genie

Tornelos @ Flight Jewel / Leftovers / Life Orb
Mischevious Heart [DW: Competitive Spirit is fine too, but MH is preferred.]
Jolly/Naive (if running Hidden Power)
EVs: Varies depending on what you use.
+Bulk Up
+Acrobat / Air Slash / Aerial Ace
+Hammer Arm / Brick Break / Crunch
+U-Turn / Crunch / Hidden Power
Strategy: Bulk Up in order to power up your physical movepool. Tornelos has a great base 115 attack, and while it's not all too bulky, the defense boost does assist it against unboosted Stone Edges and weaker Ice Shards. With a Flight Jewel and Acrobat, you'll have a powerful 110 BP move (before STAB) at your disposal, and with Bulk Up boosts, it will HURT. Unlike Archeos, you'll actually have opportunities to set up too. Acrobat and Air Slash are basically the only reasons why you're using Tornelos for this instead of Voltolos.

U-Turn lets you bulk up on switches and get out if you need to, thanks to Tornelos' high speed, you can do so without too much worry. Crunch and Hammer Arm/Brick Break gives you very good coverage (though you forgo baiting opportunities, unless you opt out of a STAB move for some reason). The choice between Hammer Arm and Brick Break is one of power, reliability and also whether or not you think you can afford the speed drop. Hidden Power can also be used in order to circumvent counters and checks, like steel types or premiere physical walls, like Hippowdon, or to just HP Fire other things, like Scizor, Nattorei and Skarmory.

Leftovers are for bulkier sets, but they have to use Aerial Ace for a physical STAB option, which is pretty middling. You can still keep Acrobat with Leftovers (in case of knock off or something) since it's only 5 BP lower. Alternatively, you can just use Air Slash, as Tornelos' Special Attack is at a whopping 125 after all; Air Slash also helps with dealing with Hippowdon, though I don't know if he can 2HKO without the Jewel/Orb. Life Orb is an option too, in order to have harder hitting coverage options, but a weaker STAB.

Notes: Not sure on the EV Spread, it could probably manage a bulkier spread since you're bulking up anyway. You may want to split speed and attack EVs into some defenses, but it really depends, despite getting this idea, I didn't do any actual calculations for it yet.

Voltolos can run a similar set, with the added option of STAB Wild Charge, though he lacks the option of using Acrobat and Air Slash. Voltolos can use this set without fear of Skarmory if it packs Thunderbolt as well, but he won't have access to Acrobat spam. Still, that may not actually be necessary.

I've posted it on his own thread, but I figure it deserves another mention:

@Leftovers
252HP, 128SDef, 128Def
Careful/Impish
Overgrow
~Rest
~Sleep Talk
~Aromatherapy
~Dragon Tail

An unorthodox set, but can be very annoying to take down and can be very frustrating in the hands of a SpikeStacking team. Dragon Tail bounces opponents around, Aromatherapy allows Meganium to act as a cleric, but the main synergy lies with Sleep Talk. Sleep Talk has a 2/3 chance of letting Meganium wake up instantly, allowing it to recover yet again or phaze the opponents with normal priority. With some luck Meganium can last a long time, and opponents can't even set up on it at the risk of being forced out by Dragon Tail at any time.

Overgrow is a must for this set, since Sleep Talk is 4th gen only.

Buff Genie

Tornelos @ Flight Jewel / Leftovers / Life Orb
Mischevious Heart [DW: Competitive Spirit is fine too, but MH is preferred.]
Jolly/Naive (if running Hidden Power)
EVs: Varies depending on what you use.
+Bulk Up
+Acrobat / Air Slash / Aerial Ace
+Hammer Arm / Brick Break / Crunch
+U-Turn / Crunch / Hidden Power
Strategy: Bulk Up in order to power up your physical movepool. Tornelos has a great base 115 attack, and while it's not all too bulky, the defense boost does assist it against unboosted Stone Edges and weaker Ice Shards. With a Flight Jewel and Acrobat, you'll have a powerful 110 BP move (before STAB) at your disposal, and with Bulk Up boosts, it will HURT. Unlike Archeos, you'll actually have opportunities to set up too. Acrobat and Air Slash are basically the only reasons why you're using Tornelos for this instead of Voltolos.

U-Turn lets you bulk up on switches and get out if you need to, thanks to Tornelos' high speed, you can do so without too much worry. Crunch and Hammer Arm/Brick Break gives you very good coverage (though you forgo baiting opportunities, unless you opt out of a STAB move for some reason). The choice between Hammer Arm and Brick Break is one of power, reliability and also whether or not you think you can afford the speed drop. Hidden Power can also be used in order to circumvent counters and checks, like steel types or premiere physical walls, like Hippowdon, or to just HP Fire other things, like Scizor, Nattorei and Skarmory.

Leftovers are for bulkier sets, but they have to use Aerial Ace for a physical STAB option, which is pretty middling. You can still keep Acrobat with Leftovers (in case of knock off or something) since it's only 5 BP lower. Alternatively, you can just use Air Slash, as Tornelos' Special Attack is at a whopping 125 after all; Air Slash also helps with dealing with Hippowdon, though I don't know if he can 2HKO without the Jewel/Orb. Life Orb is an option too, in order to have harder hitting coverage options, but a weaker STAB.

Notes: Not sure on the EV Spread, it could probably manage a bulkier spread since you're bulking up anyway. You may want to split speed and attack EVs into some defenses, but it really depends, despite getting this idea, I didn't do any actual calculations for it yet.

Voltolos can run a similar set, with the added option of STAB Wild Charge, though he lacks the option of using Acrobat and Air Slash. Voltolos can use this set without fear of Skarmory if it packs Thunderbolt as well, but he won't have access to Acrobat spam. Still, that may not actually be necessary.
I really like the Tornelos. The other reason you'd use Tornelos over Voltlos is Priority Tail Wind which could give your team a 3 good turns of double speed on everything (helps against rain teams or something). But anyways I really like the Acrobat Set which is even stronger and faster (and really just better since it doesn't have Weak Knees) than Archeos due to Mischievious Heart Bulk Up. Hammer Arm is not entirely necessary for Nattorei (after Bulk Up, Acrobat is a 2 hit ko on Nattorei and if it switched in on the first Acrobat Jewl Flight Bulk Up, it takes 90% Max/min. Hammer Arm is never ohkoing anyways and Acrobat has the same 2 hit ko without the -Speed although paralysis will still infect and lower your speed). Because of Acrobat being 110 base power with no item, stabbed Acrobat actually does more than super effective Crunch so Crunch isn't needed. I think the best set is Bulk Up/Acrobat/Brick Break/U-Turn if you're doing that since U-turn allows you to escape the few things that might be threatening you can't kill and doing a light hit, Acrobat deals ridiculous damage to everyone barring Tyranitar/some steel that isn't Nattorei, and Brick Break destroys Screens and Tyranitar and hits Heatran (who'd resist Acrobat). Aerial Ace does much less damage than Acrobat, even WITH Life Orb so Acrobat is definitely the superior option.

For Voltlos who wants to do something similar, I imagine Bulk Up/Wild Bolt/Hammer Arm (or Brick Break)/Crunch since for some reason he doesn't get Acrobat with Leftovers or Life Orb but probably leftovers because of Wild Bolt recoil and other residual damage.

I really like the Tornelos. The other reason you'd use Tornelos over Voltlos is Priority Tail Wind which could give your team a 3 good turns of double speed on everything (helps against rain teams or something). But anyways I really like the Acrobat Set which is even stronger and faster (and really just better since it doesn't have Weak Knees) than Archeos due to Mischievious Heart Bulk Up. Hammer Arm is not entirely necessary for Nattorei (after Bulk Up, Acrobat is a 2 hit ko on Nattorei and if it switched in on the first Acrobat Jewl Flight Bulk Up, it takes 90% Max/min. Hammer Arm is never ohkoing anyways and Acrobat has the same 2 hit ko without the -Speed although paralysis will still infect and lower your speed). Because of Acrobat being 110 base power with no item, stabbed Acrobat actually does more than super effective Crunch so Crunch isn't needed. I think the best set is Bulk Up/Acrobat/Brick Break/U-Turn if you're doing that since U-turn allows you to escape the few things that might be threatening you can't kill and doing a light hit, Acrobat deals ridiculous damage to everyone barring Tyranitar/some steel that isn't Nattorei, and Brick Break destroys Screens and Tyranitar and hits Heatran (who'd resist Acrobat). Aerial Ace does much less damage than Acrobat, even WITH Life Orb so Acrobat is definitely the superior option.

For Voltlos who wants to do something similar, I imagine Bulk Up/Wild Bolt/Hammer Arm (or Brick Break)/Crunch since for some reason he doesn't get Acrobat with Leftovers or Life Orb but probably leftovers because of Wild Bolt recoil and other residual damage.
Ah right, even if I didn't do calculations, I should've done simple BP multipliers. Thanks for clearing up the use of Acrobat and the coverage options. Overall agree with your moveset then, anything on EVs, or just 252/252/6 standard sweeper spread?

Ah right, even if I didn't do calculations, I should've done simple BP multipliers. Thanks for clearing up the use of Acrobat and the coverage options. Overall agree with your moveset then, anything on EVs, or just 252/252/6 standard sweeper spread?
Um, I'm not really sure. Obviously max attack to have maximum impact. I'd probably end up running max speed just to outrun Latias/Latios and everything slower. It's not like Tornelos is fabulously bulky, even with Bulk Up although it certainly does reduce damage like not being ohkoed by Scizor Bullet Punch after Stealth Rock or something while doing massive damage with +1 Acrobat (ohko if you still have Flight Jewl). Also standard non Scarf Latios are ohkoed by +1 Acrobat (with or without Flight Jewl added) while Latias takes massive damage (and might be ohkoed with Stealth Rock if Latias attempts to be as offensive as Latios like Choice Specs Latias or something).

This might be an effective lead/annoyer.

Ambipom@Normal Jewel
Technician
Jolly
252 Attack/252 Speed/4 HP
-Fake Out
-Acrobat
-U-Turn
-Magic Coat/Brick Break

This can work well in a similar manner as "Hit-and-run" Persian. Fake out on the first turn to consume your normal jewel. Priority+technician+STAB+Normal Jewel=one great starting move. After that hit, the enemy will be worn down quite a bit. Acrobat can be used to finish of a weakened enemy. U-Turn is for escaping after a Fake Out (or even after an Acrobat if you've KO'd). The Last move can be used to fill many roles. Magic Coat allows you to beat things like Taunt Erefuun and ToxicStall Blissey, but this set is totally walled by steels and rocks. Brick Break allows you to hit them, but not for much damage.

This set works well being a general annoyer once all ghosts are gone from the field. So, Scarf Shanderaa makes a good partner, being able to trap and kill other ghosts. Also, fighting moves can go to Shanderaa.

Considering Flight Jewel means Acrobat is still a 55 BP attack on the first turn, I'd consider a Salac Berry as an alternative. After one Bulk Up things that would be killing you will do just enough damage to activate your berry. Now you have a +1 in At, Df AND Spd. It's like a physical Butterfly Dance on top of your 110 BP Acrobat. Acrobat and Brick Break is actually great coverage so you can run Substitute in your last slot to be extra safe if you wish.

Stone Edge BP will become 200 precise.
Jolly 6/252/0/0/0/252 hits:

312 HP 369 Atk 296 Def 140 Sp.A 176 Sp.D 163 Spe
after a Body Purge, and in sandstorm, Sp.D is 264 and Spe is 326
200 BP move from a fast, bulky and powerful mon? YES PLEASE.
326 isn't the bestest, you'd need another Body Purge to be considered sweeping-fast. You're 2 points short from the base 100 crowd aka Shaymin, Victini, and Flygon too but I doubt it'd KO unless it's banded. And you'd be Earthquake'd out of dodge by even faster things than those too, considering max speed Landlos, Garchomp, (I'll excuse Doryuuzu, that broken piece of shit); also Focus Blast/Grass Knot/Surf/Hydro Pump/whatever floats your boat from the likes of Voltlos, Starmie, Gengar and co.

I might change my stance when I see it in action against me otherwise.

Considering Flight Jewel means Acrobat is still a 55 BP attack on the first turn, I'd consider a Salac Berry as an alternative. After one Bulk Up things that would be killing you will do just enough damage to activate your berry. Now you have a +1 in At, Df AND Spd. It's like a physical Butterfly Dance on top of your 110 BP Acrobat. Acrobat and Brick Break is actually great coverage so you can run Substitute in your last slot to be extra safe if you wish.
Not quite. In the Research thread, this was tested:

Research thread said:
Confirmed Acrobat's power doubles if user is not holding an item. If the user is holding a Sky Jewel, it will be consumed first, and Acrobat will get the no-item boost in addition to the Sky Jewel boost. (Team Rocket Elite, #2)
The Jewel is consumed, doubling Acrobat, as well as cranking up the power by another 50% with the Jewel. That means you have on base 165 powered move, not factoring STAB (which makes it 247.5 BP). That's what makes Archeops so successful with the Jewel+Acrobat combo.

Oh christ, I just faced my first Riolu today.

Overhead Throw + Roar + Protect + Copycat.

I got thrown around like a little girl.

Also had to put up with Swagger + Trickery from a MH Leapardas.

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Are you sure...? Mischievous Heart increases priority by 1. Overhead Throw and Roar would still have priority of -5. I tested this a while ago and the attacks still had negative priority, so I'm not exactly sure what game you are playing.

Are you sure...? Mischievous Heart increases priority by 1. Overhead Throw and Roar would still have priority of -5. I tested this a while ago and the attacks still had negative priority, so I'm not exactly sure what game you are playing.
Well maybe it's an exploitable glitch with P-O or something, but I can only assume Copycat works like Sleep Talk in that whatever is chosen ignores priority. Phazing fails with Assist, because that would be broken.

I've used Trick Room with Copycat before and it was reversed before the opponent acted.

sax king said:

So this set similar to this was posted a while back, and I made some changes to it, but I want to see what you think of the new version:

Garchomp @ Leftovers / Rugged Helmet / Yache Berry
Rough Skin
Jolly
252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spd
--Swords Dance
--Dragon Tail
--Rest
--Sleep Talk

So, the main idea of this is to Swords Dance until you are low on health. At that point, you can Rest to heal yourself and put yourself to sleep. Then you use Sleep Talk to alternate between Swords Dance and Dragon Tail. The only thing is, if Sleep Talk is used, then Dragon Tail loses its negative priority, meaning that it becomes an incredibly fast phazing move. Additionally, it becomes twice as powerful each time because of the Swords Dances. It becomes difficult to kill due to the fact that it phazes you out before you can touch it, and even if you do touch it, it's bulky enough to take a few hits.
Firstly, you need to change the ability from Rough Skin to Sand Veil. Sand Veil is a pretty good ability by itself, because it now functions as a spinblocker [/gliscorreference] but more importantly Sleep Talk is 4th Gen TM, and is illegal with rough skin.

Swords Dance and Max HP/Speed with Dragon Tail RestTalk seems like a conflict of interest. This seems to be a bulky set without bulk and an attacking set without attacks. Now, this may work better than I think but I would make the following changes:

• Leftovers is probably best. Rugged Helmet has no point without rough skin, and Yache is situational. Better on Sweeperchomps.
  • Max Speed on a bulky set seems kind of silly. I'd change from swords dance to Level Field and 36 speed Evs. This gives you a second stab move, and reduces the opponents speed. 36 speed evs reaches 249 speed, which outspeeds -1 base 120s. This allows you to phase alot more with dragon tail, and the loss in BP shouldn't bother you overmuch. It's mostly fliers who switch in on Garchomp EQs, anyway.
  • Put in 44 HP EVs, to set your HP to a leftovers number. Change the remaining EVs to Atk, Def and SD, depending on what you want to do.

Garchomp @ Leftovers
Sand Veil
Impish
44 HP / 252 Def / 176 SD / 36 Spd
--Level Field
--Dragon Tail
--Rest
--Sleep Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)