Creative and Underrated Sets Balanced Hackmons Edition (NO SHITTY GIMMICKS, POSTS WILL BE DELETED)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Neverman, have you ever tried these sets? They seem intriguing but you're posting so many sets that idk.
Actually the only set i didn't test i commented on the set itself it was just theorymoning (the Mega-Ampharos No Guard). I used all the other sets with relatively succesful. The one that surprised me more in utility was Flash Fire Virizion, because at that time i tested (some months ago) Bolt Strike + V-Create Protean MMX was used a lot, or PH Gyarados or PH Tyranitar. Now that Protean MMX runs Soak it's better some Magic Bounce Giratina or something, but this set still has its utility.

Aegiglash is pretty good too if you have rocks up. I've been playing for some months now and tested all of this in this time, there's more to come and more things i want to test because i really like to test all kinds of combinations (shitty or no shitty gimmicks lol).

HUGE POWAH ANTI-IMPOSTER!

Mawile-Mega @ Mawilite
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SpA / 252 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Gear Grind/Iron Head/Recover
- Imprison
- Play Rough/Recover
- Shift Gear

Steel type Magnet Pull + Imprison = Anti-Imposter. Gear Grind and Play Rough are the best physical steel and fairy STABs, but you can run Iron Head if you like 100% accuracy. Shift Gear is your boosting move until Chansey dies Struggling. Recover can be an option if you want to recover from Struggle damage lelz, in this case you run Mono-Attack which is possible since there's no immunity against Fairy nor Steel. It's pretty simple actually.
The problem with this is you have to speed tie with the Imposter to set up the Imprison, because setting it up before hand means 1. you're not setting up SG and 2. leaves you open for a switch into something like Heatran (Who 4X resists both moves). This means that if they win the speed tie you either take a lot of damage, or you get Imprisoned yourself. You also have to wait to Mega Evolve until you're sure you've eliminated all the opposing Imposter because otherwise the Imposter can switch out.

Meet the Kanto Kore™
Venusaur-Mega @ Leftovers
Ability: Drought
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpA / 252 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Volt Switch
- Solar Beam / filler
- Defog
- King's Shield / recovery

Charizard-Mega-Y @ Choice Specs
Ability: Chlorophyll
Modest Nature
- Eruption
- Oblivion Wing
- Volt Switch / Secret Sword
- Earth Power / coverage

This set is pretty self-explanatory. Set up sun with Mega Venue, voltturn to ZardY, start erupting things. Flash Fire does a number on this set's effectiveness, so Life Orb is an option if you want to switch moves. You want to keep ZardY at the highest health possible, so keep Venu's speed low to get the most out of volt switch.

Edit: wait nono what am i saying don't use life orb
You probably want a flashfire Mon of your own to help tank imposter.

Last edited:
hexenjaeger: A few suggestions I'd make.

Switch Venusaur to Kyogre or Palkia. The latter are bulkier and resists Fire attacks, which means you're relatively safe setting-up sun with Kyogre/Palkia if your opponent has a Fire-type attacker. (There's a reason why both were used to set both rain and sun last gen). They also have enough Special Attack to still wield Solar Beam effectively if you want to keep that, but it can also utilize Fire-type moves as well. Or Water and Rock moves if you want to scare Imposters of your Chloro sweeper.

Also Heat Rock over Lefties, because you lose a turn switching out and another turn if you have to switch in any time that's not the start of the match or after you lose a mon.

Recovery over Defog. You're wasting precious sun turns, and momentum you'd get from it, by taking the time to defog hazards. Leave that to another mon who can do it when the sun is down.

Reshiram over Zard-Y. It hits harder, it's bulkier, should still outspeed the entire unboosted meta when the sun is out, and is less vulnerable to Stealth Rock.

Also consider Trick over a move. If FF users are a problem, once you realize what they are and predict a switch-in, you can Trick Specs onto them. Most FF users are both defensive/support and, if they have attacks, they're usually physical.

hexenjaeger

Reshiram over Zard-Y. It hits harder, it's bulkier, should still outspeed the entire unboosted meta when the sun is out, and is less vulnerable to Stealth Rock.
Uuuh?
Reshiram SpAtk: 150
Char-Y SpAtk: 159

The other points are accurate, but the 10 base speed means you can outrun +1... 130s? I think?
Also Reshiram gets no STAB on Oblivion Wing.

The problem with this is you have to speed tie with the Imposter to set up the Imprison, because setting it up before hand means 1. you're not setting up SG and 2. leaves you open for a switch into something like Heatran (Who 4X resists both moves). This means that if they win the speed tie you either take a lot of damage, or you get Imprisoned yourself. You also have to wait to Mega Evolve until you're sure you've eliminated all the opposing Imposter because otherwise the Imposter can switch out.
Yeah, this is bad, the main idea is to predict Imposter switch in then you click Imprision, but it's not always possible to predict right u.u

Anyway, i had more problems taking Struggle from the Imposter than predicting her switch, that's why i suggested a Mono-Attacker with Recover for that. I've also seen similar sets but with Illusion instead of Magnet Pull + Imprison.

Okay, I derped there a bit. Was thinking Zard-Y was in the 140s. Still though, I'd argue the bulk + lack of rock weakness is better for something using Eruption.

As for Oblivion Wing... the posted set is more of a nuke and Oblivion Wing is a little weak for that, now that I'm thinking it. STAB Eruption + Sun + Specs is going to grossly out damage Oblivion Wing, so you're going to want to use that or Volt Switch the majority of the time. Recovery from OW is nice, but this isn't a set you really want to take damage to begin with since that ruins your nuking ability (and a FF Steel type is going to ruin your recovery ability anyway).

upload_2014-8-16_13-27-9.png

Mewtwo-Mega-Y @ Fist Plate
Ability: Protean
Timid Nature
- Judgment
- Power Gem
- Flash Cannon / Recover
- King's Shield

Bear with me for a moment. I know this looks completely ridiculous, but this set has a number of advantages over the Boomburst and Steam Eruption-spamming sets that are commonly used. First of all, this set is inherently anti-Imposter. Regardless of what move Chansey uses, it will be hit super effectively by Protean Fighting-type Judgment. It is also anti-ate-ability; not only can it stop Fake Out + Extreme Speed with King's Shield, it has a move to hit every type of -ate user effectively. Fighting Judgment hits Refrigerate, Power Gem hits Aerilate, and Flash Cannon hits Pixilate. The set wishes it had Recover, but Flash Cannon is actually really useful for Fairies. If you want sustainability, you can switch it out, but I wouldn't recommend doing so.

EDIT: also, here it is doing stuff: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/balancedhackmons-153055907

Last edited:
View attachment 21962
Timid Nature
- Judgment
- Power Gem
- Flash Cannon / Recover
- King's Shield

Bear with me for a moment. I know this looks completely ridiculous, but this set has a number of advantages over the Boomburst and Steam Eruption-spamming sets that are commonly used. First of all, this set is inherently anti-Imposter. Regardless of what move Chansey uses, it will be hit super effectively by Protean Fighting-type Judgment. It is also anti-ate-ability; not only can it stop Fake Out + Extreme Speed with King's Shield, it has a move to hit every type of -ate user effectively. Fighting Judgment hits Refrigerate, Power Gem hits Aerilate, and Flash Cannon hits Pixilate. The set wishes it had Recover, but Flash Cannon is actually really useful for Fairies. If you want sustainability, you can switch it out, but I wouldn't recommend doing so.
Unless they run Spooky Plate to get kills on Gengar.

Kit Kasai

Love colored magic
View attachment 21962
Timid Nature
- Judgment
- Power Gem
- Flash Cannon / Recover
- King's Shield

So this thread is going to die now, but I actually think that the Mega Mewtwo Y set I posted recently could be even more useful in the new meta because of all the -ate spam, the fact that nothing is as bulky, and the fact that nothing will run mixed -ate sets.

So before this thread goes down in flames with the new BH changes, i've got a few sets to put up.
Meloetta @ Life Orb
Ability: Soundproof
Shiny: Yes
Timid Nature
- Boomburst
- Perish Song
- Infestation
- Heal Order
This one is pretty simple: spam Boomburst and laugh at imposters. Meloetta has good SDef and decent Special Attack, so it can put dents in things while also applying pressure in the form of Perish Song. Surprisingly not as bad as you might think.

Hm, actually i only have one.

So before this thread goes down in flames with the new BH changes, i've got a few sets to put up.
Meloetta @ Life Orb
Ability: Soundproof
Shiny: Yes
Timid Nature
- Boomburst
- Perish Song
- Infestation
- Heal Order
This one is pretty simple: spam Boomburst and laugh at imposters. Meloetta has good SDef and decent Special Attack, so it can put dents in things while also applying pressure in the form of Perish Song. Surprisingly not as bad as you might think.

Hm, actually i only have one.
Seems like this would struggle offensively because of its lack of coverage. And defensively, wouldn't Arceus be better?

Only problem with that set I'd have is that, while it's Imposter resistant, the Imposter can safely waste up to 20 of your PP before switching out and back in. In fact, they can eventually kill you over the course of the match since they'd technically have infinite Heal Order vs your 16. So if your opponent has double Imposter, any Ghost, or something that can reliably take Boombursts and escape, like most AV Regens, all this set would do is shut down momentum on both sides every time it came out.

I posted a very similar set with Arceus instead of Meloetta and Mean Look instead of Infestation (to permanent trap Imposter).

Hmmm. Should I?

Yeah.

Charizard-Mega-X @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Simple
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SpA / 252 SpD / 252 Spe (For now at least)
Timid Nature
- Shell Smash
- Blue Flare
- Earth Power
- Solar Beam

"WWTN" I hear you ask. "Why are you using such a strange and obviously Imposterable set such as this? And wouldn't using Charizard-Y be better?"

That my friends is the point. With such an obvious setup, if you get a single Shell Smash off you're hitting with +4 130 base special attack. Either by KO or by being the obvious switch, a Chansey is likely to be drawn in to play. At this point, you unveil the Mega-Evolution, KO with Earth Power (+4 252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Earth Power vs. -2 252 HP / 252 SpD Eviolite Chansey: 802-944 (113.9 - 134%) -- guaranteed OHKO) and begin nuking things with +4 Sun boosted Blue Flare or instant Solarbeams. And I really do mean nuking:
+4 252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Blue Flare vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Giratina in Sun: 352-414 (69.8 - 82.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+4 252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Solar Beam vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Assault Vest Kyogre: 380-448 (94 - 110.8%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO
+4 252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Blue Flare vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Ho-Oh in Sun: 321-378 (77.1 - 90.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

This set does have problems though. These come in two main packages; Offensive and Prankster. Offensive 'mons that can take a hit outright are rare. Any that can are usually fully capable of OHKOing Charizard outright, as -2 to both defenses are not beneficial to a long life in BH. This typically includes Espeed spammers or Gale Wings abusers, as revenging is far easier than sponging a hit; Extremespeed Regigigas, Protean Espeed Xtwo, Refrigerate Kyubes, and Aerilate/Gale Wings Rayquaza or Yveltal all pose immense problems. Xerneas is... slightly more manageable, as a Pixie Plate Fake Out/Extremespeed combo has a moderate chance of KOing but Yzard's resistance to Fairy does wonders for it's chances.

Prankster's problems are fairly obvious. Powder, Spore, Topsy Turvy, Destiny Bond... the list goes on.

A second Imposter also breaks this set in half, as Yzard's own Blue Flare outright OHKOes itself in the sunlight. Either weather-changing support or priority spam is reccomended as a method to bring down an Impostered version of this.

I posted a very similar set with Arceus instead of Meloetta and Mean Look instead of Infestation (to permanent trap Imposter).
Yeah, that seemed pretty good. Spider Web > Mean Look though, because it has more PP.

Also, WWTN, it took me a while to understand that set at first, but it looks nice. Glad someone found a way to take advantage of that mega evolving quirk.

EDIT: halfway to 1k :O

Yeah, that seemed pretty good. Spider Web > Mean Look though, because it has more PP.

Also, WWTN, it took me a while to understand that set at first, but it looks nice. Glad someone found a way to take advantage of that mega evolving quirk.

EDIT: halfway to 1k :O
This went through several evolutions as I planned it, some of which may still be viable. The first was Simple SD Yzard with Bolt Strike Mega-ing to hit Chanseys with Tough Claws Bolt Strike while sponging the resisted hit (Can't always OHKO, can be KOed back if you're unlucky), Simple Tail Glow with the same setup (There's enough things faster that the speed is appreciated; I once set this up on Talent's Gengar and proceeded to do a lot of damage) and Tail Glow with Speed Boost (You need at least a total of 5 stat changes in your favour to guarantee an OHKO on Chans, and getting the second boost is harder than it sounds)

Other possible combinations involve Simple Tail Glow Ytwo with Spore, Mega Evolving to smack an Imposter with sleep while becoming immune to the same, or Contrary Xtwo that MEvolves to Ytwo and lays a smackdown with Stored Power.

(I also admit this entire set was born out of a desire to induce rage in Adrian Marin , something that I never quite managed)

Lcass4919

The Xatu Warrior
Hmmm. Should I?

Yeah.

EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SpA / 252 SpD / 252 Spe (For now at least)
Timid Nature
- Shell Smash
- Blue Flare
- Earth Power
- Solar Beam

"WWTN" I hear you ask. "Why are you using such a strange and obviously Imposterable set such as this? And wouldn't using Charizard-Y be better?"

That my friends is the point. With such an obvious setup, if you get a single Shell Smash off you're hitting with +4 130 base special attack. Either by KO or by being the obvious switch, a Chansey is likely to be drawn in to play. At this point, you unveil the Mega-Evolution, KO with Earth Power (+4 252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Earth Power vs. -2 252 HP / 252 SpD Eviolite Chansey: 802-944 (113.9 - 134%) -- guaranteed OHKO) and begin nuking things with +4 Sun boosted Blue Flare or instant Solarbeams. And I really do mean nuking:
+4 252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Blue Flare vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Giratina in Sun: 352-414 (69.8 - 82.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+4 252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Solar Beam vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Assault Vest Kyogre: 380-448 (94 - 110.8%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO
+4 252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Blue Flare vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Ho-Oh in Sun: 321-378 (77.1 - 90.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

This set does have problems though. These come in two main packages; Offensive and Prankster. Offensive 'mons that can take a hit outright are rare. Any that can are usually fully capable of OHKOing Charizard outright, as -2 to both defenses are not beneficial to a long life in BH. This typically includes Espeed spammers or Gale Wings abusers, as revenging is far easier than sponging a hit; Extremespeed Regigigas, Protean Espeed Xtwo, Refrigerate Kyubes, and Aerilate/Gale Wings Rayquaza or Yveltal all pose immense problems. Xerneas is... slightly more manageable, as a Pixie Plate Fake Out/Extremespeed combo has a moderate chance of KOing but Yzard's resistance to Fairy does wonders for it's chances.

Prankster's problems are fairly obvious. Powder, Spore, Topsy Turvy, Destiny Bond... the list goes on.

A second Imposter also breaks this set in half, as Yzard's own Blue Flare outright OHKOes itself in the sunlight. Either weather-changing support or priority spam is reccomended as a method to bring down an Impostered version of this.
i actually once made a very gimmicy red team (i think many of you will remember it, ) and i ran a similar charizard with a few key differences. my charizard ran quiver dance, oblivion wing, magma storm, and judgement rock(for dat 4x weakness) to be honest, it was the glue of the team, and really the only poke on it that worked really effectively.

Charizard-Mega-Y @ Stone plate (correct me if im wrong on what thats called lol)
Timid Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Magma storm
- Oblivion Wing
- Judgement

this is the poke you get when you decide to go full badassery. i mean honestly, nothing stops this thing barring aegislash and unaware pokemon that resist its attacks. imposter NEVER wins because you can smack them harder with rock judgement, and practically heal a INSANE chunk with oblivion wing if you feel threatened by your low hp. shedinja gets raped by magma storm on the switchin, though having a mold breaker pursuiter is always a consideration to take. stealth rocks usually made this thing shit, but my team didn't even have a defogger, and this thing STILL did work to my opponents. its something to consider using. and you might think "well, shell smash gives you double the spc attack and speed" but trust me, you dont even know how many times the bulk qd provided helped it sweep and if imposter is sent in, its practically setup fodder. and once this gets implimented, both these sets (mine and yours) will probably still be threatening and worth considering. seriously, with ff aegis dieing down, zard y has become a threat.

edit: wow, my post looks super cocky because i forgot to say that your set was good. LOL. please dont take this the wrong way noise, im not saying "MINES BETTUR" i was just using your zard post as a transition to mine, since it reminded me of the set (and some people have been telling me to bring back that team i mentioned because of my zard) but yeah, your set is very good and very scary and powerful and clever with the earth power thing...but im pretty sure zard x will ohko you at +4 and your at -2 with a sun boosted blue flare. so thats something to look out for.

Last edited:

MAMP

MAMP!
Hmmm. Should I?

Yeah.

Timid Nature
- Shell Smash
- Blue Flare
- Earth Power
- Solar Beam

This set isn't really anti-imposter at all, XZard's sun boosted Blue Flare will OHKO you after a Smash, thus you are relying on a speed tie to beat Imposter.

+4 252 SpA Mega Charizard X Blue Flare vs. -2 252 HP / 252 SpD Mega Charizard Y in Sun: 687-808 (190.8 - 224.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

This set isn't really anti-imposter at all, XZard's sun boosted Blue Flare will OHKO you after a Smash, thus you are relying on a speed tie to beat Imposter.

+4 252 SpA Mega Charizard X Blue Flare vs. -2 252 HP / 252 SpD Mega Charizard Y in Sun: 687-808 (190.8 - 224.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
Yes. But, if you'd never seen this set before, would you use Blue Flare? Remember, this set has Earth Power.

+4 252 SpA Chansey Blue Flare vs. -2 252 HP / 252 SpD Mega Charizard X: 280-329 (77.7 - 91.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+4 252 SpA Chansey Earth Power vs. -2 252 HP / 252 SpD Mega Charizard X: 1034-1218 (287.2 - 338.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Blue Flare before mega-evolution is only an OHKO with SR, and has a chance to miss. Meanwhile, Earth Power is an OHKO three times over. Even if you didn't run the calcs, which would you pick if you didn't know what was about to happen? Remember, Xzard is Dragon/Fire. Yzard is Fire/Flying. I would pick the SE move over the 4X resisted move each and every time.

Sure, if you use it against someone who knows the set, then you have problems. Mindgames are a thing however, and so you could not MEvolve and turn it into another 50/50, or you could switch to whichever counter you have set up (-2 defenses are not a particularly enviable trait no matter how bulky the Pokemon in question is)

I lied. I do have something else.

Garchomp-Mega @ Icicle Plate
Ability: Adaptability
Lonely Nature
- Dual Chop
- Thousand Arrows
- Judgment
- Shell Smash
Semi-imposter resistant sweeper, as Megachomp can take a 2+ normal Judgment at -1, and retaliate with an Ice Judgment for the OHKO. It hits hard too, which is nice.

EV

Banned deucer.
I lied. I do have something else.

Garchomp-Mega @ Icicle Plate
Ability: Adaptability
Lonely Nature
- Dual Chop
- Thousand Arrows
- Judgment
- Shell Smash
Semi-imposter resistant sweeper, as Megachomp can take a 2+ normal Judgment at -1, and retaliate with an Ice Judgment for the OHKO. It hits hard too, which is nice.
I would think they would go for the SE Dual Chop, not a Normal-type neutral Judgment or possibly Ghost if they have Spooky plate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)