Other Creative / Underrated Sets Thread (Read the thread, NO SHITTY GIMMICKS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Valmanway

My jimmies remain unrustled
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

Talonflame @ Leftovers
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Brave Bird
- Roost
- Bulk Up
- Taunt

Bulk Up Talonflame with a little spin. With Taunt, Talonflame prevents Pokemon from inflicting paralysis and Toxic, negates their ability to heal off damage, and stops them from setting up. Honestly, I noticed that Talonflame gets Taunt when looking at other Taunters, and thought, "Huh... this could be worth a shot".

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor

Talonflame @ Leftovers
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Brave Bird
- Roost
- Bulk Up
- Taunt

Bulk Up Talonflame with a little spin. With Taunt, Talonflame prevents Pokemon from inflicting paralysis and Toxic, negates their ability to heal off damage, and stops them from setting up. Honestly, I noticed that Talonflame gets Taunt when looking at other Taunters, and thought, "Huh... this could be worth a shot".
...Isn't that standard on Bulk Up Talonflame? It has always used it to prevent Heatran and Hippowdon from phasing or statusing it, and to smash the likes of Chansey and Unaware Clefable with little fear. Also, you want 248 HP on that.

Valmanway

My jimmies remain unrustled
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
...Isn't that standard on Bulk Up Talonflame? It has always used it to prevent Heatran and Hippowdon from phasing or statusing it, and to smash the likes of Chansey and Unaware Clefable. Also, you want 248 HP on that.
Really? That's the first I've heard of that. Oh well.

Celebi @ Leftovers
Ability: Nature Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 224 SDef / 32 Spd
Calm Nature
- Baton Pass
- Thunder Wave
- Giga Drain/Psychic
- Recover

There is virtually zero creativity in the set but Celebi itself is pretty damn underrated because of Amoonguss and Venusaur. I'm a bulky offense player and no matter how good a player you are, bulky offense always gets fcked pretty by one or more of the following: Rotom-W, Keldeo, Breloom, Azumarill, Greninja etc., especially the former 3. Celebi completely gives the former 4 a run for their money and ruins them completely while being able to tank any hit from Greninja and cripple it permanently with TWave. What really makes Celebi soooooo worth using over any of the other Grass types in OU is that instead of getting walled by every other Grass type, it actually gains momentum off each of them, which bulky offense or hyper offense really appreciates.

Greninja@Life Orb/Choice Band/Focus Sash (your preference really)
Ability: Protean
EVs: 252 Attack, 252 Speed, 6 HP
Adamant/Jolly nature
- Waterfall
- Shadow Sneak/Night Slash
- U-Turn
- Rock Slide

I used to use this set until I got fed-up of those god damn Dragonites. Physical Greninja is pretty rare, yet it's actually pretty good. Nobody expects you to use a physical Greninja, so you could be creative and use this set. Waterfall covers Fire, Ground and Rock types pretty well with a chance to make them flinch. Shadow Sneak has priority and Night Slash has a high critical hit ratio, U-Turn is for emergency or a troll lead and Rock Slide will likely one shot Talonflame and Charizard Y.

My only issue w/ this set at first glance, it sort of gives me a feeling of Weavile Syndrome. It's nice to have a nice, high powered 110 BP STAB move(yes I know, greninja allows all moves STAB, but still, the POWER!). Also, if you hate those Dnites, Ice Beam will ohko 4 SpD Nite, even when taking in Multiscale. I would calc CBBNite, but I don't know the spread (Rock Slide does 40-50 ish). Also, Choice Band is very limiting due to Ninja's great coverage and Sash SIGNIFICANTLY reduces his power. Rock slide is an interesting option to fight the zards, but I'd rather just run a different poke.

dwarfstar

mindless philosopher
RaichuXY Physical Greninja has the same problem as Electivire and 5th-gen Weavile - it just doesn't have enough power to be worth using due to the low base power of its moves. It doesn't have any usable physical moves with base power greater than 80, and 95 base Attack isn't really worth much on something as frail as Greninja. I'm afraid this doesn't count as an underrated set, simply because it lacks enough power, bulk, or supportive options. For future reference, stick to special Greninja. If you want a physical Water-type, try out Mega-Gyarados (or Azumarill if you need your Mega slot for something else).

MikeDawg

Banned deucer.
After trying my darndest to make physical gren work, even on a joke team it was frequently the weakest link.

This isn't even really because of low bp moves or anything, rather it's a result of the physical set not beating mons that already beat the special set (the point of switching spectrums)

Azumarill, for example, still walls you, because ninja doesnt get poison jab.

Add that to the fact that running physical makes it so that you lose against most things that you were originally beating, and it just isn't worth it

if you absolutely need to run physical greninja cause you're that kind of person who needs to run something outclassed, well here, the best set i've seen:

Greninja @ Normal Gem
Jolly / Protean
252 Atk / 252 Spe / 6 HP
Power-Up Punch
Water Shuriken
Return
Acrobatics

Due to the lack of an item and lower BP of moves, he needs to get all the extra power he can. PuP provides an untauntable attack increase. Water Shuriken is good so that Talonflame doesn't get a free revenge kill on you, it hits him pretty hard at +1. Return is the strongest move you can have right off the bat. Acrobatics is strong without an item and at +1, can sweep teams.

But seriously, use Azumarill

Loom of Bre (Breloom) @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 124 HP / 252 Atk / 132 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Focus Punch
- Substitute
- Spore
- Facade

I really think this set is quite underrated now now that Aegislash is gone. Is sure does get walled by a Ghost Type but the only Ghost type in OU is Gengar. You can easily get a free sub up w/ spore'ing a slower pKmN; preferably walls; and them taking a 225 BP (after Stab) w/ a 394 Attk Stat is going to hurt. (Not to mention they can still be asleep and you behind a sub) 132 Speed EV's allow it to outspeed un-invested Rotom-W and other base 86 and below mons. Moreover, it can also act as a status absorber after it has bin poisoned.

Here 1 example of me using it: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-149440204

Last edited:
Rock Slide may have a (very, very) minor niche on standard Greninja, as it can OHKO Mega Charizard Y while allowing it to run the more useful H.P. Fire or Grass over H.P. Rock. This OHKO can be achieved even with a -Attack nature, although to OHKO the very rare Max HP/Max Def+ Mega Charizard Y set, you need a neutral nature. It's probably too situational to ever be worth using though, but other than perhaps U-Turn, it's the only other physical move on Greninja that might be worth using.

if you absolutely need to run physical greninja cause you're that kind of person who needs to run something outclassed, well here, the best set i've seen:

Greninja @ Normal Gem
Jolly / Protean
252 Atk / 252 Spe / 6 HP
Power-Up Punch
Water Shuriken
Return
Acrobatics

Due to the lack of an item and lower BP of moves, he needs to get all the extra power he can. PuP provides an untauntable attack increase. Water Shuriken is good so that Talonflame doesn't get a free revenge kill on you, it hits him pretty hard at +1. Return is the strongest move you can have right off the bat. Acrobatics is strong without an item and at +1, can sweep teams.

But seriously, use Azumarill
Nah, the set should be (Trust me, I enjoy using horrible stuff (this time Physical Greninja) for thier fullest potential)
Greninja @ Choice Band
Naughty (If using Special moves), Adamant / Protean
252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 HP
-Return (Don't dare to replace this move.)
-U-Turn
-(personal preference)
-(personal preference)

This is your best bet at using physical Greninja. Return deals with pretty much everything that walls special Greninja bar Ferrothorn. Be aware that these cruical KOs are 2HKOs, but it can survive exactly one hit from these Pokemon while being a Normal Type Pokemon. The last moves depend on what you want to KO. Be aware that this is a lure. This is it's best selling point. Predict well and you will be rewarded.

This should Never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever (Can't make it clear enought) be a number 1 choice. It is 99% outclassed by stuff like Azumarril, Mawile, Pinsir and Staraptor.

Greninja@Life Orb/Choice Band/Focus Sash (your preference really)
Ability: Protean
EVs: 252 Attack, 252 Speed, 6 HP
Adamant/Jolly nature
- Waterfall
- Shadow Sneak/Night Slash
- U-Turn
- Rock Slide

I used to use this set until I got fed-up of those god damn Dragonites. Physical Greninja is pretty rare, yet it's actually pretty good. Nobody expects you to use a physical Greninja, so you could be creative and use this set. Waterfall covers Fire, Ground and Rock types pretty well with a chance to make them flinch. Shadow Sneak has priority and Night Slash has a high critical hit ratio, U-Turn is for emergency or a troll lead and Rock Slide will likely one shot Talonflame and Charizard Y.
The goal of the thread is too play an underrated set who can surprise his usual checks/counters, tell me how this set is any better than the special one, you are countered even more easily by things like ferrothorn/M-venusaur without hp fire/extrasensory

Here's a cool Manaphy set I've been using. Cromanaphy isn't exactly original but I've noticed that the EV spread everyone is using (including the smogon dex) is wrong.

Manaphy @ Leftovers / Damp Rock
Ability: Hydration
EVs: 248 HP / 100 Def / 160 Spe
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Calm Mind
- Rest
- Rain Dance

Honestly what I'd consider to be the greatest strength in this set is the delay opponents have in reacting to it. Many players have trouble realizing what the set is, and that gives even more of an opportunity to set up and sweep.

This set is designed to beat stall and destroy sand offense's momentum. Most cromanaphys i've seen are using like 248 def which is stupid because it's extremely easy to revenge kill with strong physical threats like medicham and heracross that are becoming even more prevalent.

With 160 speed EVS, manaphy outspeeds adamant drill when you rain dance the sand away. Rain dance obviously can annihilate a player's win condition, and rain can mitigate TTar's 1.5 spdef boost in rain in addition to scald's power boost.

With 1 turn recovery in rest, Manaphy essentially has the ability to set up on anything that stall uses barring amoongus with clear smog (venusaur can only beat it 1v1 with a crit). Manaphy's #1 switch in Chansey is complete set up bait, and objectively loses 1v1 due to scald's imminent burn.

Damage calculator is down for some reason, will post some when it comes back to show how hilariously easy it is to set manaphy up with Calm minds (Will post more later)

252 SpA Life Orb Latios Psyshock vs. 252 HP / 100+ Def Manaphy: 142-168 (35.1 - 41.5%) -- 70.3% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

Gives time to set up a rain dance and rest HP back, while chipping away at Latios

+1 0 SpA Manaphy Scald vs. 0 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Tyranitar in Rain: 188-224 (55.1 - 65.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 Atk Terrakion Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 100+ Def Manaphy: 160-190 (39.6 - 47%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ SpA Mega Venusaur Giga Drain vs. +1 252 HP / 0 SpD Manaphy: 174-206 (43 - 50.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Landorus Earth Power vs. +1 252 HP / 0 SpD Manaphy: 153-181 (37.8 - 44.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

Last edited:

Talonflame (M) @ Salac Berry
Trait: Gale Wings
EVs: 48 HP / 252 Atk / 208 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Swords Dance
- Flare Blitz
- Brave Bird
- Natural Gift

Idk if anyone posted this set earlier but it's actually a really good lure. Leppa Berry allows to make Natural Gift a strong 100 base power fight-type move that can easily knock down Tyranitar and Heatran after a Sword Dance which are the primary Talon's switch ins alongside Rotom-W (which needs to be weakened to sweep with this set). Definitely a good set I guess though, try it if you haven't done it yet :]

Last edited:

Talonflame (M) @ Leppa Berry
Trait: Gale Wings
EVs: 48 HP / 252 Atk / 208 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Swords Dance
- Flare Blitz
- Brave Bird
- Natural Gift

Idk if anyone posted this set earlier but it's actually a really good lure. Leppa Berry allows to make Natural Gift a strong 100 base power fight-type move that can easily knock down Tyranitar and Heatran after a Sword Dance which are the primary Talon's switch ins alongside Rotom-W (which needs to be weakened to sweep with this set). Definitely a good set I guess though, try it if you haven't done it yet :]
Isn't Leppa a 80 BP berry? Salac is the 100 BP one. Liechi is also an option for the set, to deal with Rotom-W by being a grass type attack.

Ya fixed, thanks. Also yeah Liechi is cool as well (it's especially cool if you are using Talon with Pinsir since you can bypass Rotom-W with Talon and then have a easier potential sweep with Pinsir)

The Kyube is a pretty scary pokemon. Most well known for threatening bulky offence and stall teams with his massive mixed attacking stats and sheer bulk (even if it's partially sabotaged by its typing). This is a less used Kyurem-Black set from Gen V I've looked into adapting for Gen VI, with mixed results.

Rubik's Kyube

Kyurem-Black@leftovers
52hp/64atk/112def/20spa/252spd
calm nature
-Substitute
-hone claws
-dragon tail
-blizzard

This is a set I worked on in order to patch up a stall weakness on a bulky offence team I ran recently. It's based off the more conservative sub/roost/HC/Dtail Shuffle Kyube from Generation V. The main idea is to take advantage of The Kyube's extremely high bulk in order to set up unbroken substitutes against the attacks of walls and common stall pokemon. Quagsire? neither earthquake nor scald break your sub and you 2HKO with blizzard. You also nullify unaware with teravolt. Chansey? can't break your sub with seismic toss. rotom-W? only the specs set's hydro pump can beat your sub. Defensive Heatran? lava plume and earth power can't break you substitute. Venusaur? only sludge bomb breaks your sub, you also outspeed and can set up on attempted leech seeds or sleep powders. Zapdos? Can't compete with thunderbolt or heat wave.

Why is The Kyube uniquely qualified for a set like this?: Kyurem-Black has a lot of unique characteristics that make a dedicated phasing set like this possible. First is the fact that Kyube is already extremely threatening to stall, and this particular set is even bulkier than most allowing it to set up on the weak attacks stall carries to break most pokemon's subs. second is the fact that while Kyurem-Black has a poor defensive typing it has a niche collection of resistances that allow it to set up on bulky waters, grass types, and low bp coverage moves like hidden power. Third is the fact that Kyurem-Black is much much faster than most walls thanks to his 700 BST, and his dragon tail is the most powerful in the game. Tera Volt also has a unique effect of causing the incoming pokemon to take hazards damage regardless of ability when phased. magic guard pokemon are hit by rocks, levitators are hit by spikes, T-spikes and stick web. Finally dragon tail and blizzard both synergize well with hone claws.

Why is this set more viable now?: In early XY I would have never imagined using a set like this. However with recent bans like aegislash and Deoxys this set has enjoyed a lot of recent changes to OU. Aegis no longer cock blocks you with KS, Deoxys no longer ruins your day with hazards and his general huge bulk or speed, mega mawile possibly being on the way out is another plus for the Kyube not having to deal with another fairy resistant to ice.

Teammates and support: Kyurem-Black appreciates 2 things most of all, hazard support and hazard control. Kyurem-Black is susceptible to all entry hazards, and weak to stealth rock atop this. He needs his hp for substitutes and without a healing move will need to stall for turns effectively and keep his hp high. Skarmory provides hazard and defog support simultaneously, as well as provides the team with helpful physical bulk to compliment Kyube's special bulk. It also draws in electric attacks Kyurem can set up on. Greninja provides the team with spikes and a powerful offensive presence, and Landorus-T's combination of intimidate and U-turn helps get Kyurem in to tank physical attacks he may not be otherwise able too. Excadrill provides valuable spin support, and has STAB iron head to help deal with fairies, Scizor or mega Scizor does similar work with defog (though Kyurem-Black vastly prefers spinning to defog). Sticky web is a more niche option, however it helps Kyurem potentially outspeed Lati@s if they're brought in by its dragon tail so Smeargle or Galvantula may be considered. Aside from that, Kyurem greatly appreciates Knock Off. It highly helps him tank hits better from choice and life orb users and causes stall to struggle even more without leftovers or eviolite.

Other Options: Kyurem-Black can be played more aggressively with a purely sub/roost/HC/Dtail set with 252Atk adamant and life orb. Life orb can be offset with roost easily, however the loss of passive recovery can be an easy deal breaker. You're now walled completely by fairies, however the simple fact that you're so strong you can bulldoze some teams without hazards may be seen as a plus in some more offensively minded, greedier players' eyes. If you're going this route options to consider are a pokemon which can pass wishes or a cleric as life orb, hazard, potential toxic damage and sand damage and the general loss of lefties in general highly hurt your survivability. Powerful poison or steel types that can easily remove fairies are now a must as well. This more aggressive variation of the set is not recommended, however you may wish to experiment with it if you're willing to put in the team support. You could use steel wing rather than blizzard to gain boosts and try to muscle past most fairies yourself, but it's a pretty bad attack outside of that.

Checks and counters: This particular Kyurem-Black set has severe trouble with highly offensively oriented teams. Teams that carry several pokemon that outspeed and severely hurt Kyube, such as Terrakion+Landorus and Keldeo+M-pinsir to name a few present potential danger if one breaks your sub and you Dtail them out to the other half of the core. Azumarill shrugs off anything you can do and threatens you with Play Rough, as does M-Mawile. Lati@s can revenge kill you even if behind a sub since blizzard does not OHKO and dragon tail only KOs with several boosts, however they can't switch in directly. Gyro Ball Ferrothorns (most of them) can use you to set up hazards, break your sub, aren't 2HKO'd by Blizzard and are not only resistant to Dtail but also hurt you with iron barbs and potentially rocky helmet. They have to be careful about being used to as set up fodder for hone claws themselves though, and can be set up on if they attempt to leech seed or T-wave you. Faster enemy substitute users such as gliscor can be a hassle if you mispredict, and Scizor is a big problem if he catches you outside a sub. The main caveat to this set's checks though is this. Any offensive pokemon that may threaten you will likely get phased away if they don't catch you without a sub, potentially bringing out a pokemon you can set up on, and then the entire dance begins again.

Why has The Kyube's shuffle set gone largely unused?: While this is a neat adaption of a gen V Kyube set, it struggles for new reasons in the generation VI metagame. The first obviously is the existence of fairies. No longer can Kyube run a mono-phasing set with more dedicated bulk or physical attack power, and he also has to give up roost compared to the older generation set. Secondly is the opportunity cost. Kyurem-Black is a monster, a big burly monster that gives slower less offensive teams huge hassles with its powerful mixed attacking stats. With this Kyube you give up the ability to run a different Kyube set, and lose that more aggressive mixed Kyube that gives many teams problems. The biggest problem with this set however, is that it's largely match up based. Slower defensive pokemon on stall and bulky offence teams often cover moves Kyurem can easily set up on. Offensively oriented teams provide Kyurem-Black little to no set up opportunities, often the only chance it gets is against common "glue" pokemon most offensive teams use as pivots like Rotom. While this Kyurem can strengthen your team against stall it can be possible dead weight against some teams. That said though it's a unique pokemon you may enjoy using.

Important Edit: Replays are coming later today

Last edited:
I suck at making sets but this one looks pretty good.

Hawlucha @ Focus Sash
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Acrobatics
- High Jump Kick
- Poison Jab

Basically you swords dance, active the focus sash and with the unburden boost you are free to sweep.

I suck at making sets but this one looks pretty good.

Hawlucha @ Focus Sash
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Acrobatics
- High Jump Kick
- Poison Jab

Basically you swords dance, active the focus sash and with the unburden boost you are free to sweep.
I don't know how much this set can be effective tbh because of the priority moves themselves which doesnt allow your Hawlucha to sweep at 1 HP (also status are troublesome). I think that both the Sky Attack set with Power Herb is better than your set because of the strong flying move it can use and the Substitute set with Sitrus Berry because of having a way to bypass some priority like Sucker Punch and some status as well if already under the Substitute (Will-o-Wisp of some things but mostly important Thundurus' Thunder Wave). Anyway, I dont want to be rude but I just dont see any some cool niche on the set you posted (maybe the ability to hit fairy types harder but thats it), I'd suggest next time to think about an uncommon set which has some niches and can therefore used in place of the "standard" set in some situation or team. Once again I don't want to sound like a rude, so sorry if I somewhat hurted you.

StairFall

I'd suggest you to give Roost to Kyu-B in place of Blizzard. It has low HP and that Kyurem-B is more of a stallish pokèmon than an attacker one, so Roost can be rly useful to recover your HP. I used a similiar set of Kyurem in a BW2 team and it worked pretty nice (although it was "normal" Kyurem because of Pressure which allowed me to stall better opponent's PPs), nothing else to add anyway, even if I have never tried a similiar set in XY even if it looks cool, so nice job. Try Kyurem-N too anyway, it can be rly helpful with Pressure.

Last edited:

MattL

I have discovered a truly remarkable CT which this box is t-
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Because stall isn't having enough trouble with 3 particular megas right now, here's another set, courtesy of Paul Gilbert.

Pinsir @ Pinsirite
Ability: Hyper Cutter
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Return
- Flail
- Earthquake / Close Combat

At max power, Flail has 390 base power after STAB and Aerilate and OHKOs Quagsire and Chansey after rocks, Thundurus, Clefable, etc. Mew and several other things are setup fodder, and it's not that hard to force a switch versus offense either, plus Substitute is pretty unexpected. Return is used because Flail is unreliable. Earthquake is used mainly for Heatran, but in the post-Aegislash meta Close Combat is the preferred option. There's really no room for Swords Dance or priority, but this set is meant to be more of a wallbreaker, of course. Also, Mega Pinsir in general has the perk of beating Heracross, Gardevoir, and Medicham. EVs are for rocks and for subbing down to get Flail to 200 base power. Adamant's not as good on this set because you don't have priority and Flail is strong enough anyway.

252 Atk Aerilate Mega Pinsir Flail (200 BP) vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Thundurus: 322-379 (107.6 - 126.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Aerilate Mega Pinsir Flail (200 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 424-501 (107.6 - 127.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Aerilate Mega Pinsir Flail (200 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Quagsire: 387-456 (98.2 - 115.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Aerilate Mega Pinsir Flail (200 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 640-754 (90.9 - 107.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
-1 252 Atk Aerilate Mega Pinsir Flail (200 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Landorus-T: 249-294 (65.1 - 76.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

But don't gawk at the numbers; remember that you're probably only going to get one 200 BP Flail off versus offense and it's not horribly easy to get to that point in the first place, but it's still a fun set.

Last edited:

Anty

let's drop
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Because stall isn't having enough trouble with 3 particular megas right now, here's another set, courtesy of Paul Gilbert.

Pinsir @ Pinsirite
Ability: Hyper Cutter
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Return
- Flail
- Earthquake / Close Combat

At 1 HP, Flail has 390 base power after STAB and Aerilate and OHKOs Quagsire and Chansey after rocks, Thundurus, Clefable, etc. Mew and several other things are setup fodder, and it's not that hard to force a switch versus offense either, plus Substitute is pretty unexpected. Return is used because Flail is unreliable. Earthquake is used mainly for Heatran, but in the post-Aegislash meta Close Combat is the preferred option. There's really no room for Swords Dance or priority, but this set is meant to be more of a wallbreaker, of course. Also, Mega Pinsir in general has the perk of beating Heracross, Gardevoir, and Medicham. EVs are for rocks and for subbing down to 1 HP. Adamant's not as good on this set because you don't have priority and Flail is strong enough anyway.

252 Atk Aerilate Mega Pinsir Flail (200 BP) vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Thundurus: 322-379 (107.6 - 126.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Aerilate Mega Pinsir Flail (200 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 424-501 (107.6 - 127.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Aerilate Mega Pinsir Flail (200 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Quagsire: 387-456 (98.2 - 115.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Aerilate Mega Pinsir Flail (200 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 640-754 (90.9 - 107.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
-1 252 Atk Aerilate Mega Pinsir Flail (200 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Landorus-T: 249-294 (65.1 - 76.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

But don't gawk at the numbers; remember that you're probably only going to get one 200 BP Flail off versus offense and it's not horribly easy to get to that point in the first place, but it's still a fun set.
Pinsir has 271 hp, so after 4 subs it will be left with 3 hp. If it has 29 hp ivs then it will reach 269 and will have 1 hp after 4 subs. Just a nitpick and it wont make that much of a difference but its worth the extra few BP

e: oh didnt know that

Last edited:
Pinsir has 271 hp, so after 4 subs it will be left with 3 hp. If it has 29 hp ivs then it will reach 269 and will have 1 hp after 4 subs. Just a nitpick and it wont make that much of a difference but its worth the extra few BP
Flail has full power with less than 4% HP = 10.84 HP on Pinsir, so there isn't any difference in BP.

Ya that Pinsir set its rly cool and i think that it can be somewhat helpful in certain situations. For example against mons that rely on status to stop Pinsir like Wisp Mew. Its also a not bad stall breaker since Frail is rly powerful. Ofc the lose of both sword dance and a priority move is huge but its still a good set i guess so gj on that

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)