CRoll + pencil + paper = ?

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
*Pokes head into Smeargle's Studio*
*Awkward silence, the place appears to be the kind of silently busy that only a room full of devoted people can be*
*Finds idle desk*
*Picks up portifolio*

Umm... hi!

I really can't remember when I started drawing Pokémon at the back of my papers in school during boring classes. I think it was some time in third or fourth grade, which was about the time of the release of Pokémon Gold and Silver. But I've kept doing it since, despite being in university now. Though, I rarely draw outside of those boring classes, so I haven't got very good at it. I'm good enough to get some compliments for my work, but also good enough to realize that my work kinda sucks and is in need of some constructive critisism, should I ever hope to become any better. This looks like just the right place for that.

Some of these drawings are a little old, and most of them are drawn on the back of school papers. But seeing as I haven't drawn as much, my style hasn't changed a lot, so critisism directed at the oldest of them will probably still apply for the newest. I've provided my own comments where I saw fit. Without further ado...

What the hell is this one actually looking at... or rather, why is its foot on fire? As you can see from its stance, it's leaping upwards, not going downwards like I seemed to think when I drew this. I probably used a picture as a reference while drawing, and added the fire for effect. It didn't save me from screwing up the left leg, though.

Sharpedo is actually ridiculously easy to draw. Just start with the contour of its back, then work from there. Screwup guaranteed when you add the star at the end, though.

Yes, the eyes are too big, and it's not round. But fear not, I'm good with excuses: It's a baby!
As evident in the games, Pokémon eggs aren't spherical even if the Pokémon inside is. So a newly hatched Voltorb will still be a little conformed to the shape of the shell. Also, eyes do not grow. They keep their size throughout the entire life.

These two were drawn with the aid of pictures:

I know I screwed up the corner of its mouth. The alignment of the teeth in the upper jaw also leaves something to be desired...

Aaaand here began my not-so-productive period. As you can see, the last picture was drawn in 2008. The following ones were drawn during tedious infrastructure lectures this autumn. As I sat there, with the book in front of me and pencil in hand, trying to listen to the teacher with a faint hope of taking some useful notes, I decided to pick up on drawing again. Keep in mind that they are drawn from memory:

QUESTION: What does the musculature in Bulbasaur's hind legs look like? Which ways do the joints go? In which direction do the toes point?
ANSWER: I have no idea, and neither does GameFreak, apparently. I couldn't find a single picture of Bulbasaur's hind legs showing any joint at all. Most of the art depicts them as a continuation of its butt, with the toes tucked away somewhere unspecified. This leads to the question: How does this thing even manage to walk? I mean, most official art shows that the hind legs are usually pointing out from its body in a V-shape. Sorry for this looking like a mess, but I didn't have any art to refer to. Perhaps Ivysaur's animations in SSBB would have been of help, but again, this was drawn during Infrastructure class.

Let it be said, I'm hopless with reflections. And shadows in general, don't ask where the light source is supposed to be here. That being said, I like how most of the magnets turned out on this one.

Forget Rattata and Raticate, I've always thought of Voltorb and Electrode as the Pokémon equivalent to rats. They thrive in dark places, feed on electricity (for instance, batteries in the boxes) and can be a pest to remove (most Ground attacks are devastating to their surroundings, but peanuts compared to the chain reaction that would set off if you provoked one of them to explode). If your warehouse is infested by these, you better close the door carefully and call for professional help. Next time, you better make sure to close all the doors tightly even if you're only going away for a couple of minutes.
On a side note, the rough plank texture on the wooden crate turned out quite nice, I think.

Ahh, Garchomp, everybody's favourite land shark. Where to begin with this one? Not the toes on the right foot, that's for sure. Until I get a new and better rubber, let's just pretend that Garchomp stumbled on a rock and hurt its toe badly. Also, legs are a pain to draw. The eyes should actually be smaller than shown here, and placed closer to its snout.

Until I drew this, I had always liked Tyranitar's design. I mean, just look at it!
Then I tried to draw its legs. I had to look it up on Bulbapedia to get it right. Yes, they are meant to be on the sides of its body. Yes, it has no knees, at least not rotating on the proper axis. No wonder why Tyranitar has such a low Speed stat: It can't walk. Its arms are also... well, I drew them too big here. They are meant to be even shorter and stubbier, leading one to question their purpose at all. It can't pick up things on the ground (it would fall over). Its punching reach is limited to some thirty centimetres directly in front of it. It can't even touch its own nose. The screw-ups that are its hands are entirely my own, though. Never mind the orientation of its belly.

Victreebel is a funny one. I've never got either of its leaves right, but at least the rest looks sort of OK. Though, those tennis ball-sized eyes would probably protrude into its digestive tract, but hey, who am I to question GameFreak's designs?

This one turned out pretty well, I think. If you disregard the size of its head compared to its body, that is. That thing on its left upper arm is not the poorly drawn outline of its biceps, it's supposed to be a battle scar. Promise. As usual, legs are hard to draw. And I wonder what kind of muscles and bone structure Charizard would need on its back, seeing as its wings are jointed next to its arms. I'm glad I didn't have to draw that here. I only had to figure out its shoulders, which hopefully nobody will notice if I don't mention th-... dang.

The hardest thing do draw on Gyarados is the spikes protruding from its jawbone and temples. They are meant to be way more rugged than shown here. Can we pretend that Gyarados is filling its lungs with air before diving, inflating its cheeks in the process? It has no visible gills, so I think that could be feasible.
No idea what happened to the central spike in its tail fin, though... perhaps it is hidden behind a splash of frothy water with the exact same colour as the fin?

Last, one for the artillery nerds out there. Angles screwed up all over the place, but it kinda resembles the real deal still.

Feb. 5th: Banned in Ubers

20/2: When Conkeldurr resorts to throwing his pillars at you, you've got him pretty pissed off. Odds are that you've won if you manage to evade them, though.

I wanted to change the Vanillite line, tone down the ice-cream aspect while not removing it completely. Thus, with Vanillite and Vanilluxe, the change isn't very drastic, but still enough to soften the ridicule, I hope.

This is Vanillite. I wanted it to resemble an ice cream without actually being one. Do I get negative points for that? The idea is that it has a snowball and an icicle as a body, forming it in the shape of a cone ice cream. Notice the smooth shapes of the ice, it is the shape of an icicle formed at temperatures just above 0*C (or 32*F for those of you using the Stupid system). I imagine it to be dripping quite a bit at high temperatures.

Vanillish is more resemblant of an ice cream in a cup, or a rather stump cone ice cream, with some rough chocolate or nut topping. Or if you prefer to look at is at a non-cream ice, it is a piece of snow that has partially hardened to solid ice. This one has more angular and even ice than Vanillite, as low temperatures caused crystals to form. Its body consists of more ice than snow.

Vanilluxe was a little harder. I first made this version, but it felt a little too clustered with all the icicles. So I made another version too, with fewer icicles:

Meet Vanilluxe. It has two heads. Which one is the dominant of them depends on its gender. It hides in the ceiling of caves, camouflaged as a huge icicle (or a frozen stalactite). Extreme and sudden cold caused water running down its body to freeze in bizarre and twisted shapes. A layer of frost tones down the reflections in the ice.
I also added moustaches because everything is better with moustaches. It brought a problem with the "female" head, though, but I think I solved it quite well by having the mouth of that head above the moustache, making it resemble a muff of fur. The ice crystals at the top of the heads is meant to resemble either chocolate/nut topping, or crowns, depending on whether you want to view it as an ice cream or an icicle.

NEW PICS 8/4:

THE EYES!!!

So... yeah. Shoot me down! I need it! "Nice" doesn't get me anywhere! Well, "you suck" doesn't either, but at least it would mean that somebody out there agrees that I need to improve. Something in-between would be excellent. Requests would be cool too, because that gives me an incentive to look up something specific and draw that as best as I can, instead of just drawing what first enters my mind.

Thanks in advance for reading!

Oh my goodness! I love these, especially the fact that they're not digital art! My favorites are Feraligatr and Cubone. Those two look great!

As for criticism. Not really sure how to give any xD The only thing I don't like is your Bulbasaur's legs or your Charizard's legs. You seem to mention you have trouble with those, and I'm not really sure how to help you with that. But I'm just pointing it out since you asked for us to not just be nice...

Anyways, very nice thread, luvdisc'd. I hope to see more from you!

Codraroll

Cod Mod
^Thanks for the kind words! Every reply is welcome, really. I'll pay greater attention to legs from now on.

Do anybody have any requests, by the way? I think setting an objective would be of great help. Instead of drawing by impulse like usual, it'll provide a goal to stride towards. An incentive to pay greater attentions to proportions, physiology and details. Name a 'mon, or something else, and I'll study it and see what I can get out of it.
Thanks in advance!

You got a nice hand for drawing altough you have a long way to go trough. Why you dont try doing some kind of rayquaza doing V-create? But use colors this time.
And that tyranitar looks so huggable!!

My criticisms: your Blaziken. Its face, its legs, its body, I don't like any of it. Doesn't look very superhero, know what I mean? Not a bad drawing, but doesn't match how I see Blaziken at all. I actually mistook your Feraligatr for a Croconaw at first, because its lower jaw is smaller in yours than what I usually see, but it's still cool. Besides that one fang on the bottom, utterly misshapen. Garchomp - nipples? Tyranitar has a weird facial expression, not really something I'd expect a painless rock behemoth to have. Your Charizards left arm, which I presume is the one leaning forward, is smaller than its right arm. It would make sense, except I can't imagine a Charizard beating off so regularly that it results in that stunted of growth. Gyarados' eyes seem really shrunken into its face, and its shading seems too light for the choppy waters and big ol' dragon.

I think all of the drawings are amazing, despite my criticism. Your Magneton and Cubone are my favourites, Magneton because of the interesting shading it has and Cubone because of the intensity that the skull gives it.

Who would you call if your warehouse is full of Electrode?

Codraroll

Cod Mod
^Somebody with a lot of fast Pokémon knowing Sleep powder, I guess. Better pump the room full of the stuff, and bring out the bomb balls as quickly as you can, before they wake up.
Or, seeing as both Voltorb and Electrode have a lower density than water, you could try flooding the room and flushing them out. However, this might annoy them (=explosions), anger them (=explosions), disturb them (=explosions) or even excite them (=explosions). However, unless you do something, some of them will eventually grow bored and explode just for fun. I've never pictured Explosion or Selfdestruct as being harmful to the user (more like they exert a humongous amount of energy in a short time than actually blowing up), but the inevitable damage to anything inside the room would be less than fun for the owner.

That question aside, thanks a lot for the feedback! ZcX, I'm afraid my skills are limited to grey and white, and I have limited room in my pencil case, so I'll stick to single-colour for the time being. Rayquaza using V-create could be an interesting thing to try, though it would have to be a "portrait" only. Rayquaza's body/tail/really long neck with arms on doesn't look as exciting when stretched out, as I imagine it to be when Rayquaza is charging.

wow. I'm a huge fan of your pencils-only traditional art - I think it's really admirable how you have to put much more thought and effort into your shading to really bring out the moon, and how you pay so much attention to their physiology to get them as true-to-life as possible, rather than taking a cutesy, chibi-fied approach. sorry I couldn't give a more constructive review - I'm not a very good artist haha; at the very least, your art foundations are way better than mine! you pointed out just about everything I would've caught and some more :<

I especially liked Cubone, Tyranitar and Garchomp the best, and it's probably a weird thing to say, but I liked the mountains in the last picture XD I'd like to see how you'd do Mewtwo, or maybe Smeargle, and I wouldn't say no to a Vulpix or Ninetales avatar from you either! Not requests, though, just suggestions :)

Codraroll

Cod Mod
...or maybe Smeargle...
Yeah, this inspired me. I looked up Smeargle on Smogon and Bulbapedia, and had a look at pictures and analyses and moves and such. And after a while, I found a pose that I really liked. My conclusion after the Smeargle research was this:

- Some Smeargle are perfectionists, always striving to do better and paint as lifelike as they can. While not having visions of raw power, they execute their basic moves with incredible skills, hitting harder than many others would using the same moves.

- Some Smeargle don't care much about what others think. They like painting, but aren't overly concerned about the final result. They do things their way, and are satisfied with whatever outcome they get. If you critizise them, they shrug it off and keep painting. They know and accept that people have different ideas of how things are to be done, and won't let any others throw them off.

- Some Smeargle are banned in Ubers.

Not pictured: Sleeping foe. Also not pictured: Proper moveset for Moody Smeargle.

I know its feet are supposed to be the same white as its body; blame my crappy rubber. But don't worry, I have an excuse ready. You see, I imagine Ingrain to slightly change the composition of the user's feet. This Smeargle's feet have turned a deep green due to the various nutrients running through its newly-acquired roots.
No prize for guessing what it's holding in its left hand.

So, any other ideas for what to draw next?

Trinitrotoluene

young ☆nd foolish
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Request time. A picture of a Conkeldurr attacking an Unfezant (gender choice is up to you). If that is a tad too complex of you, then a Conkeldurr by itself would suffice. Thanks in advance!

EDIT: A Luvdisc for you.

Danmire

its okay.
is an Artist Alumnus
If that's not the most bad-ass Smeargle ever, the world means nothing to me anymore.

In any case, that is the most bad-ass Smeargle ever. The confidence in his stare is really cool. Keep up the great work!

Codraroll

Cod Mod
Request time. A picture of a Conkeldurr attacking an Unfezant (gender choice is up to you). If that is a tad too complex of you, then a Conkeldurr by itself would suffice. Thanks in advance!
Hey, sounds nice! I've tried sketching up a Conkeldurr. I will do it, but the project has already strengthened my belief that Conkeldurr is the worst designed Pokémon ever. Look at the sprites, its feet are smaller than its eyes! The bands on its back means that it has to rest its arms on those pillars continously to avoid pulling its muscles. It would have to take ten steps to walk a metre. It's twice or thrice as wide as it's tall.

Too good of a challenge to resist, in other words. Thanks for suggesting!

I always get excited to find fellow traditional artists who don't focus on digital mediums.

One thing I'd say though is don't be afraid to break out a ruler/straight edge or a circle stencil once in a while. For example, that Magneton is a little shaky as far as the outline being perfect and round. Little things like having perfect linework and symmetry go a long way in my opinion.

Criticism aside, I really dig the work man; keep it up.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
Update time!

Sorry for this taking so long. Conkeldurr's anatomy isn't as familiar to me, and I wanted to draw it in a different pose, for once (not how Conkie is always portrayed in the same pose?)

I'm afraid I had to leave the Unfezant out. I was unsure on how to fit it into the picture, and what pose to put it in. An earlier version of this had a nest built around Conkeldurr's head tuft, a feather was stuck in one of the concrete pillars, and there was bird droppings all over him, but as I couldn't fit in Unfezant anywhere, I found out that the picture would only make sense in context, so I made a new version.

I intentionally drew the feet larger and the nose smaller than they should be. Shoot me down.

Any more requests?

Codraroll

Cod Mod
Working on Slowbro now. That dang mouth... hard to recall when I sit there in class without Internet access. Might as well draw it while looking at a picture, then.

Updated the first post with some stuff from the "Extreme Makeovers" thread - a proposed design change for the (hideous) Vanillite evolutionary family.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
Bump again!

Sorry, no Reuniclus right now, but I got Slowbro done:

Is he fighting? Taking orders? Taking an attack? Eating? Sleeping? Daydreaming? We will never know.

Also, some of you might be familiar with this one:

I'm not sure what to make about this. I always forget that Koffing has a proportionally very small face, while this one is hardly anything but face. It could be a baby, but I imagine that Koffing's pores aren't open for at least a month or two after hatching. Newborn Koffing should be rather smooth and leathery, like basket balls or something, then develop "pimples" as they mature. These pimples will eventually become blisters, which will crack open and allow gas to be emitted. It might look like horrible wounds, but they actually help Koffing breathe and fart (and it's not always easy to distinguish the two).
Koffing are spongy creatures, though as evident in Pokémon Stadium, they do have some sort of star-like bone structure and powerful muscles, allowing it to squeeze itself empty of gas and dust. Large eyes help them see through dense smoke. As a final act of self-defence, Koffing can produce sparks, igniting its gas. This attack will be devastating to the surroundings and knock Koffing out, but is less effective in enclosed spaces due to the limited amount of oxygen available. On the other hand, those conditions make its gas all the more dangerous.

It's unknown how Koffing are able to levitate, seeing as their density is nine times larger than that of air. However, weighing a single kilogram on average, Koffing are by all means lightweight Pokémon, having the smallest (measureable) density of them all.

Codraroll

Cod Mod

A favourite from the first generation, Weezing is one cool 'mon. After my previous failure with Koffing, I wanted to try again. However, I didn't want to draw another Koffing, so I ended up with its heavier cousin. I failed somewhat with the face (Weezing have quite heavy brows and generally angrier eyes and bigger teeth), but the shape turned out alright I think. It looks like its second head is nearly ripe for falling off, making a new Koffing. This means that Weezing have several ways to multiply, like only a handful of other Pokémon (for instance Exeggutor).

Primeape is an interesting fellow, and often overlooked. It is a fierce fighter, with a temper that few other Pokémon are able to match. It has to be related to Steel types somewhat, seeing as it can learn Iron Tail despite having a tail at all, and the bracelets it appears to be "born" with. Their purpose is a mystery, it seems. This drawing might look a little less "furry" than official art, but I excuse myself by claiming it is soaking wet.

Pikachu is easy to draw, save for two vital details. The eyes. I mean... no. Just, no. The ears are probably a little small too, but I didn't have enough space to draw them in full.

Meet one of the two Dragon Types that could never be Dragon Types because it would have made them broken. Gyarados would have been unstoppable at the time of its creation (No weaknesses, so they had to make it Flying instead), while Charizard's partial Dragon type would have given it unresisted STAB and removed its signature weakness to Water. And the wings would have been for nothing. Still, while not a true Dragon, and shunned by the Standard Metagame, Charizard has gotten a reputation few other Pokémon can claim. It is the epitome of "original badass". Both quick and powerful. It can fly. It can melt rocks. It has sharp claws and even sharper teeth. And it can roar. Mightily.

Drawing Charizard in its classic pose provided a few challenges. For a start, the mouth. I hope I managed to pull it off well.
Second, the eyes. I felt that they had to be round, otherwise it wouldn't be able to rotate them freely. I'm not too sure on the pupil; it might be a little too small and the wrong shape (round vs. "cat-eye").
The teeth also gave me headaches. And the size of the tongue. And the nostrils, the damn nostrils. And the head shape. And the horns. Everything, really.

Any help, anybody?

Oh man that cubone that looks great I mean that image is so well done I love that skull its great man my favorite out of the bunch but all your stuff is great xD ever think of Inking them to get a bolder look?
but your stuff is good keep it up xD

Codraroll

Cod Mod

Entry for MAC#18 - Epic Meal Time. Have an Aggron and an Aron eating an abandoned car. I can imagine people dumping scrap metal in Aggron's territory to prevent it from running out of ore to eat, which would have forced it to move. Aggron are extremely territorial, and Aron love gnawing on train tracks and bridges, so you really want to keep Aggron and its offspring in a territory devoid of people.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
I admit, I was once one of the many who misunderstood Garbodor. I never looked past its derpy facial expression in the Sugimori art, I never saw anything but the hideous pose of its in-game sprite. I think the game designers focused too much on "Garbage" and too little on "Creature" when they made Garbodor. With a re-pose and a little polishing, it has potential to be a decent 'mon:

Garbodor: The Trash Heap Pokémon. In what way it is connected to trash is debated. Some say it's a garbage bag mutated into a creature, like its pre-evolution. Yet others claim it is a creature mutated into resembling a garbage bag. Everybody agrees, though, that Garbodor absolutely stinks. Its upper body is covered in dense, filthy hair, its lower body is leathery and usually so caked in with mud and sludge that it's hard to tell where the creature ends and the filth begins. Garbodor naturally search out filthy places, and attempts to clean one have been met by vigorous protests and clear signs of severe discomfort.

Its hands form the prime argument that this creature did not evolve by means of natural mutations. They are so big, lumpy and hideously formed that they're next to useless for picking up things smaller than a basket ball. Some Garbodor only have a single finger on each hand, giving it next to no dexterity. Though, it is still capable of gripping food and shoving it into its weird mouth. The arms can also batter opponents with surprising strength, enough to rip the bark off trees. They can also be used to dig into the heaps of trash as Garbodor scavenge through the landfills for food. Garbodor's right hand secretes a toxic sludge that can be used to incapacitate enemies. It is unknown what its spongy "horns" are good for, but some theorize they're meant to spread the smell of a Garbodor over a larger area, scaring away enemies or attracting mates.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)