Disconnecting in Global Link matches

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hate when someone DCs, and then you immediately run into the same exact person again. It happens to me constantly and I quit on the spot every time, since I already know that a win isn't going to happen since he'll just DC again.
THIS....

Happens all the time with me. I just disconnect myself...lol

I guess i have better luck then most with rated. I played (single battle) for about 15 games yesterday, and i went 5-7 (+3dc i should have won vs players 100 points over me). I am pretty much perma-stuck around 1500 (bottomed out at 1440, topped out at 1540).

Most of the time the DCers are high ranked (mostly japanese) players, 1650 or higher who I manage to predict and outplay, or fresh 1500s who I imagine disconnect every time they dont win. Ive only disconnected 3x between my ~100 games, twice to OHKO opening moves, and once to rng/hax rage (not proud of this one).

I really want to know why people avoid getting losses. It's not like you become a worse battler.
Same mentality that made people use Wondertombs in the Battle Tower to achieve huge winstreaks. People want to convince themselves that the ends justify the means, that as long as they have a pretty number to look at it's not like they cheated to get it. It's a very basic mentality that only a child could really maintain; everyone else with at least a decent sense of sportsmanship has to feel rotten knowing where his wins came from. So we can relish in that, if our opponents aren't all 6-year-olds, at least some of them feel bad about what they do.

Hey, I felt pretty proud of myself getting a streak of 9 wins in the battle tower with my Swords Dance Bullet Punch Magikarp that one time.

Unfortunately I ran into a Magneton. And it used Magnet Rise, so EQ missed.

Hey, I felt pretty proud of myself getting a streak of 9 wins in the battle tower with my Swords Dance Bullet Punch Magikarp that one time.

Unfortunately I ran into a Magneton. And it used Magnet Rise, so EQ missed.
Hey, I appreciate a fun gimmick as much as the next guy, like Wood Hammer Aerodactyl and Psycho Shift Reuniclus. But I'm talking about guys who get 200 streaks from Wonder Guard Spiritombs and post them up like they actually accomplished something. I mean, if you're going to hack, at least make it something clever.

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Hey, I appreciate a fun gimmick as much as the next guy, like Wood Hammer Aerodactyl and Psycho Shift Reuniclus. But I'm talking about guys who get 200 streaks from Wonder Guard Spiritombs and post them up like they actually accomplished something. I mean, if you're going to hack, at least make it something clever.
Note: Sigilyph can have Psycho Shift + Magic Guard.

But I see your point, it's not like people can view your losses in Free Mode.

Anyone ever hit the time limit? I am wondering who wins if it ends that way. Was 2-1 in my favor, and sadly, my opponent disconnected with 10mins to go. I can only assume he was nearly out or out of PP after stalling for 40mins with a triple minimize subbed ghost-cursed starmie vs my paralyzed subbed serperior (heatran on the bench).

Le Sigh. Guess I shouldn't expect better from someone using minimize that they would be a disconnector.

For the first time, I audibly laughed at a D/Cer. Here's what happened:
I see this guy's trainer card. He has 1000+ wins. Safe to say I was a bit worried. What I found funny was that his Greeting was something along the lines of "I am WEAK at BATTLE."
I sent out Zoroark disguised as Blaziken against his Gallade. He Bulked Up as I countered. Decided to counter again, he bulked up again. After I thought the illusion was ruined, he went for lolPsycho Cut. He then switched out into a Driftblim as I countered again. I then went for a Dark Pulse, leaving it with like 5 HP. He tried to set up a sub that same turn. I figured I'd go for Flamethrower, in case he switched into Gallade (Didn't know if Justified was released...).What happened? He switched into a Scizor, as Flamethrower OHKO'd. He obviously D/C'd as I was laughing my butt off.
Not sure about anyone else, but I found this to be pretty funny...

For the first time, I audibly laughed at a D/Cer. Here's what happened:
I see this guy's trainer card. He has 1000+ wins. Safe to say I was a bit worried. What I found funny was that his Greeting was something along the lines of "I am WEAK at BATTLE."
I sent out Zoroark disguised as Blaziken against his Gallade. He Bulked Up as I countered. Decided to counter again, he bulked up again. After I thought the illusion was ruined, he went for lolPsycho Cut. He then switched out into a Driftblim as I countered again. I then went for a Dark Pulse, leaving it with like 5 HP. He tried to set up a sub that same turn. I figured I'd go for Flamethrower, in case he switched into Gallade (Didn't know if Justified was released...).What happened? He switched into a Scizor, as Flamethrower OHKO'd. He obviously D/C'd as I was laughing my butt off.
Not sure about anyone else, but I found this to be pretty funny...
Something similar like that happened to me, except it was against a Japanese trainer with 2000+ wins, and was PP-stalled. What I keep on thinking is, "lol? I doubt that you D/Ced when you like, mauled 2000 people". I start to think that the Japanese don't have the better sportsmanship after all.

I've heard many stories from my friends that people almost always disconnect in the Global Link matches. (sometimes even if they're winning, probably by accident or a bad connection though).

They've even quit playing in the Global Link because of all the people that suck up all the fun. However, I don't have Wi-Fi yet, so I have to try for myself.

I've heard many stories from my friends that people almost always disconnect in the Global Link matches. (sometimes even if they're winning, probably by accident or a bad connection though).

They've even quit playing in the Global Link because of all the people that suck up all the fun. However, I don't have Wi-Fi yet, so I have to try for myself.
There are a good number of DCs, but (If you're playing Free, not Rating) you eventually just become sort of numb to it as you get more wins. Well, that sounds kind of jaded. It's more like, the D/Cs become progressively smaller drops in the water. This is especially true if you have a good team; when I had a pretty bad Double Battle team, every D/C really pissed me off, but now that I have a much better one, I just think, so what? I can just get another win soon enough. And this is especially the case because people don't tend to make worse teams; they tend to get better and better from experience.

This is optional, but it helps to keep a log of the D/Cs you get. It makes them feel like they count for something, though the game doesn't count them at all. Actually, a log of EVERYTHING--the pokemon of every good team you encounter, your wins from day to day, highest ranking every day--is really helpful, sort of gives you structure and focus, and is ten times more useful if you're a scatterbrain like me.

Of course, it's very different with Rating mode, since battles are generally more difficult (the players with carefully crafted teams tend to go here, while people with their ingame teams tend to go to Free mode) and you feel cheated when you get D/C'd from a really well-earned potential win.

I regraded giving this jap guy a win in Doubles.
Then 2nd time when I were match up with him, he ragequited when I am winning.

The situation for rated battles are just too bad.
1468... MEH!

I myself have "quit" (Still play if nobody is on Free mode) for multiple reasons:

1. No originality. All I saw was Sand Teams, Rain Teams, and the same "over-centralizing" pokes. My team is kind of whorish, however I do keep a few gimmicks up my sleeve.

2. D/C's. Speaks for itself.

3. Just too freaking long. Every time you log in, you have to wait for data to be recieved. After every battle, data must be sent (Not to mention that if they D/C during this time, the win is counted, but you don't get any points.), then recieved again, not to mention the time it takes to wait for a battle. In free mode, you recieve data one time when you log in. That's it.

/endrant

While Free mode has fewer incentives to disconnect, I still have it happen on me far too often. Even with a comparatively small sample size of around 100-150 battles, it's easy to divide things into categories.

When playing against American players, disconnects seem very frequent. I'd say anywhere from 20-50% of the time, typically occurring either late battle or right after a key move. I have never, even once seen a disconnect when my opponent was winning, and I never intentionally disconnect on anyone.

Against Japanese players I don't see disconnects very often... unless playing against one of the players with a very high win count. In such a case they will almost always disconnect, typically as close to the end as possible just to waste as much time as they can. Their connection will work perfectly when they're winning, which given the experience differences between me and them is often. I have noticed though that a lot of Japanese players are much slower in making decisions. They'll never have their team of three before the clock hits 30 seconds, and seeing the timer flash red is common. It could be argued that they're thinking things through carefully because they are experienced, but at the same time that experience should enable them to determine their options faster.

Another thing that seems common is that they will often forfeit if it's clear you're going to win. I'm completely fine with that. I just wish more people would take the honorable route and lose/forfeit if they aren't going to win, and I hate waiting. On the flip side, on the admittedly rare occasions I have managed to outplay them, and they didn't ragequit I can fairly say those are the best battles I've had, and that more than makes up for all the other irritation of wifi such as the high ragequit rate, and forced Item Clause.

For me, having good competitive battles is more important than having an e peen symbol such as a win count showing that I've had a lot of battles, which might or might not be good and competitive. It's clear from reading this thread Rating mode is even worse about ragequits, which in turn makes it harder to get what I want out of battles, so I won't be doing that.

I don't know. I just don't get it. I completely understand the whole playing to win thing. If I had a problem with that I would not be informally introducing myself to this community, and chose to join it because I am of like mind. But at the same time though, sometimes you lose. It might be because of some facepalm inducing hax, sure. Or the opponent could just be better, outplayed you, that sort of thing. I'd like to believe I'm not in the minority here in that while I obviously prefer to win, an informative or amusing loss is not a complete waste of my time, and is certainly nothing to get upset over. It demonstrated a problem either in my team or in the way I played it, and that in turn allows me to consider fixing it. If it's obscure I can probably ignore it, but if it's common then it's a critical flaw that must be fixed. Sure I'm most likely preaching to the choir, but introductions tend to involve common ground. Not much more to say here.

To anyone still reading this, hi.

People like the person I fought in this battle restore my faith in humanity, little by little:

15-28740-50213
His greeting is "Recently, LEECH SEED seems ANGER POINT." or something. If you battle him, you're lucky - watch the battle and be amazed at how he didn't disconnect.

People like the person I fought in this battle restore my faith in humanity, little by little:

15-28740-50213
His greeting is "Recently, LEECH SEED seems ANGER POINT." or something. If you battle him, you're lucky - watch the battle and be amazed at how he didn't disconnect.
He played like an absolute idiot... Megahorn: 70 (80?) acc; 30 BP (120/4) Rock Blast:90 acc; at LEAST 75 BP. And why the hell would he explode the first turn? Even if it was Zoroark, it's his own fault for not covering dark types...

EDIT: Megahorn has 85 acc. A little better, but still shaky...

He played like an absolute idiot... Megahorn: 70 (80?) acc; 30 BP (120/4) Rock Blast:90 acc; at LEAST 75 BP. And why the hell would he explode the first turn? Even if it was Zoroark, it's his own fault for not covering dark types...

EDIT: Megahorn has 85 acc. A little better, but still shaky...
Rock Blast was disabled, and his other attacks were Hammer Arm and (I assume) Earthquake, so Megahorn was his only option.

At any rate, while I really do question the explosion at the beginning, it's not really about how he played, but how he didn't DC despite losing pretty badly. I think it's commendable.

And in regards to the topic as a whole, I did one random triple battle and won pretty nicely (my first three out could use Earthquake/Discharge while the last one Tailwinded) without being DC'd. My friend, however, has done a number of battles and still has the default rating since everyone DC'd on him. :(

I made trainer Nathan From California ragequited 5 times in a row!!
Cos the troll Global-link keep match up me & him together, and I keep sweeping him.

He has Ninetales (Flash Fire), Magmotar, Jigglypuff (DW), Gengar, Togekiss and Salamence.

I decided to try out a rain team and rip up shit on the rated. I have well over 20 wins but thanks to disconnecting I am now facing the same people several times in a row, always disconnecting.

I see what you guys mean, this is fucking dumb if you want a record or to see your rating go up.

Edit: is it just me or does it seem far more likely to disconnect right after the victory? It's happened a few times where I missed out on the rating boost because MY system disconnected there, with 3 green bars, so i didn't get credit :(. I've had no connection issues EXCEPT at that moment, several times now.

I decided to try out a rain team and rip up shit on the rated. I have well over 20 wins but thanks to disconnecting I am now facing the same people several times in a row, always disconnecting.

I see what you guys mean, this is fucking dumb if you want a record or to see your rating go up.

Edit: is it just me or does it seem far more likely to disconnect right after the victory? It's happened a few times where I missed out on the rating boost because MY system disconnected there, with 3 green bars, so i didn't get credit :(. I've had no connection issues EXCEPT at that moment, several times now.
Most of the time, I get mad at D/C'ers because I wanted to save the battle. But recently, I've had no D/C's.. It's really weird, but alot of the people just forfeited.
Well, I'm currently using Chansey/Conkeldurr/Minun/Venomoth/Amoonguss/Cinccino, so not many people D/C after a Minun/Amoonguss sweep. Sometimes I become an asshole and use my Minimize Chansey (which gets walled by Sub Drifblim, who proceeds to set up its own Minimizes).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)