Do You Guys Buy Your Games...

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I clearly said that Nintendo waited a long time to make a way to re-sell their games. What's so hard about that?
Ah, your last post didn't sound like that at all. I don't think they really waited too long. This is the first generation any console manufacturer has dipped in digital distribution. No system before this generation has been equipped to handle digitally distributed games.

Although to be honest I am a bit of a hypocrite. I watch all of my anime online, and I'm pretty sure most of them are illegally uploaded.
As a general rule, Japanese producers don't actually mind fansubbing distribution into other languages. Not all of them do, but most.

However, when they get licensed to American companies, they request that such subs be removed from distribution online.

And up until recently, I've justified it and worked around it, and in the end, I've come to the conclusion it's very close to stealing.

I know all the arguments against it, as I said, that's how I used to justify it, but like, the only difference between you downloading a ROM and you shoplifting a game is that you aren't stealing the hardware, which honestly, usually doesn't top $5.
Just a technical point: Any notion that downloading copied software or other media is stealing (or even piracy) is rhetoric. That's not to say that it isn't illegal, of course, but "Infringement of Intellectual Property Rights" isn't as likely to play on people's sense of guilt as the words piracy and theft are intended to.

Piracy is a crime of violence to seize properties, especially ships of the government.

Stealing, in a literal legal sense, requires conversion; you need to remove something from another person's posession. Internet piracy is not removing something from them (not even money); it is simply preventing them from obtaining something.

And in fact, each game downloaded does not necessarily mean they've lost the price of the sale of one game; there is an implicit assumption within that that the person would have bought the game if it was not available to download, which is not necessarily the case. In some cases, people download games that they wouldn't otherwise consider worth the purchase price. In others, people download games that are no longer on sale.

One of my big interests in my law studies is Intellectual Property, although I haven't taken the courses on it yet. I think in the fields of end-user software home consumption, the economic model the media companies are fighting so hard to defend will fail, just like VCR recording of television shows is now so commonplace that even though notionally illegal, it's entirely unenforced.

I think the real solution is not going to be prosecution (since it's too hard to prove in many cases, and you don't have the funding to prosecute every single person who does it on a case-by-case basis), but a rethink about the way we sell copiable, intangible goods. I don't believe in all that ideas-should-be-free bullshit, because without some kind of protection for intellectual property, noone will innovate in technology or entertainment. But the current system will not do the job it is intended to.

There was an interesting quote I read once from a US Fed Court judge in the 40s. I can't remember the exact words or source, but he said it is not the role of the courts to protect profit-margins from the realities of the marketplace. If you can't provide your product at a price the market is willing to pay, then the reaction lies with you, not with the law. Subsequently, of course, big business has got into the ear of governments and we have all the anti-piracy legislation we have today.

I used to download ROMs, but then I realized that I tend to go through laptops/hard drives more quickly than I can download and complete a game (since I tend to play games in segments rather than sticking with it straight to the end ASAP), and since I don't have a desktop computer, it's actually more worthwhile for me to just buy the actual games so I don't have to restart every few months.

I buy almost all my games, films and TV episodes through digital download. I do pirate all my music though.

I used to pirate all my games when I was a young immature teenager, but I think it got to my conscience.

Now I stick to the principal of downloading a copy to see if the game is any good, and if I ever find myself enjoying it, I delete it and go and buy it. If the game sucks, well then I won't even play the pirated copy anyway. And so either way I'll end up getting rid of my knock-off copy.

I like to think this is an acceptable way of working the system, it has introduced me to many games I would never have played, and now have subsequently bought. But to be honest, I haven't played near any games recently. I prefer to see people using the pirate-then-buy idea than the straight pirate option.

That all be said, there are some games I just have not been able to lay my hands on to buy. Some are just too rare. Piracy tends to put an idea in your head that you can have any game. If it is a limited edition, out of print, or not available for love nor money, then we never should have been able to play them in the first place.

There's quite a list in my head of such games I need to pick up.

Still steal all my music though

For CPU games, I usually buy them from pirated stores. Legit games are damn expensive here - I am not willing to pay 150 TLs to get something like FIFA 2010 when I can get it for 5 TLs. However, if the game is cheaper (like 20-30 Turkish Liras) I prefer to pay 15-20 TLs more and buy legit copies.

For DS games, I always download them. The games come out like 2 years later here and are fucking expensive. I'm not willing to wait or pay that much. Pokemon Platinum cost 250 TLs and came out in 2009 June, ffs. I'd rather pay 100 bucks for a 2GB R4 card and download ROMs as the games get released.

(1,6 TL ≈ 1 $)

Music? Yes, I download it.

I've pirated a few games on the DS. I got myself a DS flash cart, telling myself I'd use it for homebrew...lol. Since I got it the only game I've bought was GH: On Tour, because you can't download a guitar grip. Then again, the game sucked anyway, impossible to get comfortable with, that was a big waste of money.
I will be buying HG/SS, but again that's partly because I can't download a Pokewalker.

I'm also using the flash cart to get a second playthrough on Platinum without deleting the save on my real cart - I don't see anything wrong with that.

I've used it for emulators. Played the original Silver on it (I did used to own the cart, but the battery died), the original Super Mario Brothers (which is made really easy in an emulator with a rewind function!), and been playing the original Final Fantasy. I've got the SNES version of Chrono Trigger too and will probably play that at some point. Given the choice between an original and a remake, I'll generally choose the original.

Pity the DS doesn't have the power to emulate a PS1 :-(

My other console's a PS2, and it's not chipped or anything, so no pirate games there.

Music is about 50:50. I've neither bought nor pirated in ages though.

I pirate some TV shows. Not even sure if they CAN be bought, and the price of DVD box sets is always really high.

I never pirate application software, because I'd sooner use a program that is actually Free (in the FSF's sense). I'm never letting Windows 7, legit or pirate, on any PC I own.

I watch almost no movies, so I don't pirate them.

Fishy

tits McGee (๑˃̵ᴗ˂̵)
I've only ever downloaded maybe like, 6 ROMs in my life over the years, either old Pokemon games or stuff like FE6 or the older SNES Versions. Personally I like to buy games (mostly DS) because I like owning the actual cart. I remember romming Pokemon Emerald when it was first available, and I got excited about it enough to go out and buy it once it was available. I really just prefer playing a game actually in my hands that I can take places with me, rather than sitting at my computer to play them.

And uhh, who would rather get the ROM of hg/ss and totally miss out on the pokewalker??

I buy very few games, if I respect the game / company, then I'll buy the game. Take Pokemon HG/SS for example. I downloaded the Japanese ROM along with the English patch, but I'm buying the English version at Gamestop tomorrow.

I only buy console games (PS3, Wii, etc.), whereas I download games for my DS/PSP. The point of having a hand-held system like the PSP or DS is that you can play on the go, and that is severely limited by carrying cartridges/UMDs.

Just a technical point: Any notion that downloading copied software or other media is stealing (or even piracy) is rhetoric. That's not to say that it isn't illegal, of course, but "Infringement of Intellectual Property Rights" isn't as likely to play on people's sense of guilt as the words piracy and theft are intended to.

Piracy is a crime of violence to seize properties, especially ships of the government.

Stealing, in a literal legal sense, requires conversion; you need to remove something from another person's posession. Internet piracy is not removing something from them (not even money); it is simply preventing them from obtaining something.

And in fact, each game downloaded does not necessarily mean they've lost the price of the sale of one game; there is an implicit assumption within that that the person would have bought the game if it was not available to download, which is not necessarily the case. In some cases, people download games that they wouldn't otherwise consider worth the purchase price. In others, people download games that are no longer on sale.

One of my big interests in my law studies is Intellectual Property, although I haven't taken the courses on it yet. I think in the fields of end-user software home consumption, the economic model the media companies are fighting so hard to defend will fail, just like VCR recording of television shows is now so commonplace that even though notionally illegal, it's entirely unenforced.

I think the real solution is not going to be prosecution (since it's too hard to prove in many cases, and you don't have the funding to prosecute every single person who does it on a case-by-case basis), but a rethink about the way we sell copiable, intangible goods. I don't believe in all that ideas-should-be-free bullshit, because without some kind of protection for intellectual property, noone will innovate in technology or entertainment. But the current system will not do the job it is intended to.

There was an interesting quote I read once from a US Fed Court judge in the 40s. I can't remember the exact words or source, but he said it is not the role of the courts to protect profit-margins from the realities of the marketplace. If you can't provide your product at a price the market is willing to pay, then the reaction lies with you, not with the law. Subsequently, of course, big business has got into the ear of governments and we have all the anti-piracy legislation we have today.
Yeah, I see your point, but I'm saying in a general sense, when I used to download games onto my flashcart, it does pretty much does almost the same damage to any companies involved in production.

I'm not speaking in a legal sense, but in a conceptual sense.

I was given an emulator with a few ROMs by my brother-in-law once. It's on my laptop, which I passworded and forgot the password to. I don't care that much to be honest since the laptop itself is a pile of shit anyway.

That's the only experience I've had related to pirating video games.

i primarily buy my games, but i have downloaded in the past. i only download games that never got released stateside and play them on roms with fan translations, since even if i import them i won't be able to understand them.

I just realized I'm a hypocrite since I pirate manga, TV shows, and recently American comics as well. Heh, this is tough stuff.

I download ROMs for games that are so old that you really can't buy them anymore. New releases I'll buy, although I rarely buy games anyways, usually around 3-4 games a year.

Zystral

めんどくさい、な~
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I buy my games simply because I would wither and die without constant access to them. Thus, having all games only a computer seems like a bad idea.

I might get a rom of something to try it to see if it's worth buying, but otherwise, I'll usually just go out and purchase a copy a few days after its release.

Love that new game smell as soon as you take off the plastic wrap and open it. I do download ROMs for (GBA/GBC) games that aren't recent, but I wouldn't pirate any console games.

I buy all my games simply because i collect them.

however i do own a DS flash cart in order to download Snes games and play them on the go.

I buy most of my games, I usually only download ROMs of old GBC/GBA games, N64 games not supported on Virtual Console, and Japan-only games I want to patch in English (Fire Emblems 3-6, newly released Pokemon games, Mother 3).

Since I got it the only game I've bought was GH: On Tour, because you can't download a guitar grip. Then again, the game sucked anyway, impossible to get comfortable with, that was a big waste of money.
I will be buying HG/SS, but again that's partly because I can't download a Pokewalker.
This is one possible example of how to deal with the piracy problem; tangible noncopiable content. Discounts to concerts, additional hardware functionality, etc.

One of the things that bugged me for a long time was that even after a game was released in the US, we'd still have to wait for it for another 3-6 months out here. That's a great way to encourage people not to buy it and to pirate instead, given the globalised nature of the world today and the increase of online interactive gaming.

I buy them most of the time if I pirated it and liked it. But this depends on availibility as well. If I can't find it with relitive ease I won't shell out 50+ Dollars on Ebay for it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)