1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Dream World Suspect 1: Blaziken (Banned)

Discussion in 'Dream World' started by Tobes, Apr 13, 2012.

1. shrang

shrang Defend the Headquarters of Revolution
    is a Contributor to Smogonis a Battle Server Moderatoris a Tiering Contributor Alumnus

Are you serious? How much more impressive do you want to get that you do ~70% to a physically bulky wall that resists you?
  2. Pocket

Pocket Apo, the astronaut's best friend >:3
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

yea... I misinterpreted jap killa's post. My b
  3. ala

ala
    is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Winner

Blaziken is a huge threat to the metagame. With Speed Boost, it finally has the speed to pull off sweeps with high base powered attacks such as High Jump Kick and Flare Blitz. It can also utilize Baton Pass to send the boosted Speed and possibly Attack via Swords Dance to another pokemon. I believe that Blaziken is simply too strong for the metagame, as it is extremely easy to set up for a sweep or a pass.

Blaziken is simple to use, and the most common way is to set up on either a Choiced pokemon that cannot hit you for significant damage (Genesect being the main example) or threaten a KO (Tyranitar being an example there, not wanting to get hit by HJK). All it needs to do is Swords Dance while the opponent switches in a check, usually a Scarfed pokemon. It can then Protect to get to +2 Speed and scout the opponents locked attack, then Baton Pass to the appropriate sweeper. What makes this so difficult to stop is the fact that there is very little that can outspeed a +2 Blaziken, especially at max speed. This strategy becomes even easier when combined with a Dual Screener such as Deoxys-S since Blaziken is pretty frail and appreciates taking less damage while it sets up. Pokemon such as Chandelure also help by getting rid of Priority checks to Blaziken such as Breloom and Banded Dragonite locked into Extremespeed.

Blaziken boasts an excellent attacking stat itself and has no trouble sweeping with its excellent coverage. It is very deadly on Sun teams which can allow it to plow through several of its counters, such as Gliscor and Jellicent with the boosted Flare Blitz. If it runs into problems it simply just passes the boosts to something else to continue the sweep. Blaziken may not be as high on the usage list as some other threats, but I fully believe that this is because the tier is pretty new to Smogon and there are a ton of different pokemon to try out. Blaziken will continue to rise (rose from 30th to 15th in usage from Feb to March 2012) once the tier settles down and people realize just how overpowered it is. The combination of Speed Boost on a pokemon with insane STAB coverage, high powered attacks and passable defenses make for a sweeper that is a top tier threat. On top of all of those advantages Blaziken can Baton Pass with even more efficiency than a Smashpasser, and that puts it over the top for me.
  4. Tobes

Tobes Woo-hoo, woo-hoo, woo-hoo-hoo!
    is a Battle Server Administratoris a Site Staff Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Winner

With a narrow vote of 6-5, Blaziken is now banned! The paragraphs.

Are you going to use this same argument if Garchomp Thundurus Manaphy and Excadrill are nominated as suspects? I get what you're saying but I don't think we should be trying to emulate OU's tier list, DW is our own tier and we need discussions about our unique metagame.

Excadrill, Thundurus, Garchomp, you dismiss Manaphy and Keldeo but thats just 2 more common pokemon that Blaziken can't switch into. You also seem to assume Blaziken is always at +2 +1 when its actually kinda hard to do that.[/QUOTE]

5. V0x

V0x I stay out too late
    is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

If someone who voted ban could go through and summarize the "ban" sentiments (or talk with the other voters to get a consistent "this is why we banned Blaziken") that would be great; I can do the same for do not ban. This way we can archive the decision onsite succinctly so that readers don't have to sift through a ton of threads and paragraphs, and so that one piece of writing reflects the opinions of all the council members that voted that way.
  6. jrrrrrrr

jrrrrrrr wubwubwub
    is a Tiering Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

6-5? Doesn't that mean we're missing two votes?
  7. Tobes

Tobes Woo-hoo, woo-hoo, woo-hoo-hoo!
    is a Battle Server Administratoris a Site Staff Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Winner

NixHex resigned, so I did not vote in order to retain an odd number. (I would have voted Uber)
  8. Antar

Antar Self-anointed Czar of LC UU
    is a Battle Server Administratoris a Programmeris a Super Moderatoris a Community Contributor
    Official Data Miner

Hey guys, if you actually want your bans implemented in a timely fashion, you need to let me know when you make decisions like this (Aldaron and Sarenji can change the tiers, too).

Just saying. A quick PM is all it takes.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)