EasyBake Oven! I Choose You!

EasyBake Oven! I Choose You!

Hello there Smogon! This is my first warstory. I haven’t been lurking around the forums very long. However, I have done a lot of reading in that time. I feel like I am prepared to write a warstory and I think I finally found a battle worth writing about. I'm not the best player, but I've managed to achieve a score of 225/8514 on the PO DW UU ladder at the time of this writing. Credit goes to http://dialgafans.pytalhost.de/index.html for the sprites. The battle is 31 Turns long and contains a small amount of inconsequential hax. By hax, I mean anything occurring which has a smaller than 50% chance of occuring. There is one section with a very thick piece of commentary (you'll know it when you see it), but other than that I tried to write an amount of commentary that was reasonably sized. There is a Ten Turn review every (you guessed it) Ten Turns except for on Turn 30, because the battle is nearly over at that point. Without further ado:

My Team (In order of appearance):

My opponent's team will not be shown as this was a DW battle.

On the DW UU ladder stall is very prevalent. My team is focused on defeating stall mostly through offensive pressure. Mienshao helps to give me momentum and is also a decent revenge killer because of his focus sash. Exeggcutor is the only truly defensive pokemon on my team, utilizing a SubSeeding set with Sitrus Berry in combination with Harvest for recovery. Metagross is a recent addition who provides SR and tanks. He utilizes Expert Belt but if you have a better idea I would love to hear it. Honchkrow is a wallbreaker with Taunt, Sub, Brave Bird, and Sucker Punch. I have swept (bad) teams with nothing but him and his Moxie. Rotom heat wears Choice Specs. His main goal is to punch holes in the opposition so someone else can clean up. Lucario has a standard SD set to kill stuff the old-fashioned way.

My comments will look like this.
My actions will look like this.
My opponent's actions will look like this.
Leftovers, Life Orb, etc. will be shown the first time, then omitted.
Hax will be in bold.
KO's will also be in bold.

Oh, and one quick note: Determining HP Percentages is not an exact science, please consider this before flaming me for getting something wrong.

Battle between Ruelonn and justanotheralt started!

Tier: Dream World UU
Variation: +14, -18
Rule: Rated
Rule: Sleep Clause
Rule: Species Clause

justanotheralt sent out Kojondo! (Mienshao)
Ruelonn sent out Crustle!

100%
100%

As I send out Mienshao I am confronted with a Crustle. Clearly, my opponent is going to try and set up some hazards. Luckily, my Mienshao has a move no one expects.

Start of turn 1
Kojondo used Taunt!
The foe's Crustle fell for the taunt!

The foe's Crustle can't use Stealth Rock after the taunt!

100%
100%

Perfect. Taunt works like magic on Mienshao because no one expects it. It eliminates the mind games I might be forced to play if I used something like Skarmory, which everyone knows carries Taunt. Next, he's going to attack. I know he won't switch because if he had a ghost type to take the HJK he would've switched on Turn 1. And between Mienshao's coverage and access to U-Turn, his switching would simply put me in a better position. The attacking moves I usually see on Crustle are Rock Blast and X-Scissor. Mienshao resists both, so I'm safe. I go for the HJK because it has STAB and 130 BP.

Start of turn 2
Kojondo used Hi Jump Kick!
The foe's Crustle lost 58% of its health!

The foe's Crustle used its Red Card on Kojondo!
Exeggutor was dragged out!

The foe's Crustle used Stone Edge!
Exeggutor lost 130 HP! (39% of its health)

60%
42%

Interesting, my opponent opted for Stone Edge over Rock Blast. Red Card is an interesting choice as well, possibly meant to abuse the hazards it sets up? Either way he's below half health now.

Honestly, I don't know what I was thinking on this next turn. For some reason I thought it would be a good idea to stall out a Bug type pokemon with my Exeggcutor even though he was going to set up more hazards once his Taunt ran out. My only defense is that I had somehow reasoned that he didn't have X-Scissor.

Start of turn 3
Exeggutor used Toxic!
The foe's Crustle was poisoned!

The foe's Crustle used X-Scissor!
It's super effective!
Exeggutor lost 201 HP! (60% of its health)
Exeggutor fainted!

Score: 5-6 Ruelonn

Score:
Score: 5-6 Ruelonn
Mienshao (100%)
Exeggcutor (0%) [Faint]
Metagross (100%) Unrevealed
Lucario (100%) Unrevealed
Rotom-H (100%) Unrevealed
Honchkrow (100%) Unrevealed

Crustle (35%)
??? (100%) Unrevealed
??? (100%) Unrevealed
??? (100%) Unrevealed
??? (100%) Unrevealed
??? (100%) Unrevealed

The foe's Crustle is hurt by poison!
The foe's Crustle's taunt ended!

As I beat my head against the desk I try to decide who I should send to take my short-lived Exeggcutor's place. I already know Kojondo can OHKO Crustle when it's this low on health, and in this way I needn't reveal any more of my team.

100%
35%

So far my opponent has failed to perform any sort of predictions (despite his 6-5 lead...) So I doubt he will switch.

Start of turn 4
The foe's Crustle lost 35% of its health!
The foe's Crustle fainted!

5-5 Tie

Score:
5-5 Tie
Mienshao (100%)
Exeggcutor (0%) [Faint]
Metagross (100%) Unrevealed
Rotom-H (100%) Unrevealed
Honchkrow (100%) Unrevealed

Crustle (0%) [Faint]
Amoonguss (100%)
??? (100%) Unrevealed
??? (100%) Unrevealed
??? (100%) Unrevealed
??? (100%) Unrevealed

Ruelonn sent out Amoonguss!

100%
100%

I am about to celebrate my destruction of the bug when Ruelonn sends out a freaking mushroom... I realize these guys are pretty bulky and carry Spore. This is an interesting scenario I love to analyze in the world of competitive pokemon. There are several possibilities:
1) I Taunt and he Spores. This is the best possible scenario
2) I Taunt and he attacks. This is more likely than the first because he knows I carry Taunt and therefore won't waste a turn Sporing only to get Taunted. Fortunately, Amoonguss, unlike Breloom (another popular abuser of Spore) is not known for his offensive prowess. Therefore, an attack won't hurt very much.
3) I don't Taunt and he Spores. This is very bad for me because I don't have a status absorber on this team. Mienshao would be out of commission for the rest of the match, giving him a pseudo-KO.
4) I don't Taunt and he doesn't Spore. This would be good for me as I get an extra turn of attacking at little cost and I can scout his move. Unfortunately, that would just give us a repeat of the mind game next turn because he wouldn't be Taunted and I doubt it's a 2HKO seeing as how I dont have a SE move.
Looking over my options, 1 is the best, 2 is OK, 3 is the worst, and 4 is bad Because 1 and 2 both require me to use Taunt, that’s what I choose. The reason I find these situations so cool is because my opponent has essentially forced me to use Taunt, allowing him to freely attack.

Start of turn 5
Kojondo used Taunt!
The foe's Amoonguss fell for the taunt!

The foe's Amoonguss used Sludge Bomb!
Kojondo lost 150 HP! (55% of its health)

45%
100%

Option 2. If you remember, that was the second best possibility, so I’m somewhat pleased. Sadly, Kojondo took a bit more from that Sludge Bomb than I would have hoped. I wish it had done less than 33% percent so I could've reactivated my focus sash upon switching in but alas, that's what I get for not investing in HP. Now that I no longer fear Spore I am free to U-turn out to an appropriate counter.

Start of turn 6
Kojondo used U-turn!
The foe's Amoonguss lost 19% of its health!
justanotheralt called Kojondo back!

Metagross and Lucario are both immune to Sludge Bomb and resist any grass move he might have. However, Lucario doesn't have a SE move and would be forced to use Crunch while Metagross can Ice Punch and set up rocks if necessary.

justanotheralt sent out Metagross!

The foe's Amoonguss used Giga Drain!
It's not very effective...
Metagross lost 41 HP! (11% of its health)
Metagross had its energy drained!

The foe's Amoonguss restored a little HP using its Leftovers!

89%
95%

Metagross takes the hit like a ch- Oh, wait. I just remembered from reading the reviews of other warstories that the C word is forbidden on these forums. Let's just say if the word champ wasn't taboo Metagross would've taken the hit like one. My opponent has thus far revealed no prediction capabilities (other than dodging my Mienshao's Taunt), so I feel highly confident as I hit the button labeled "Ice Punch"

Start of turn 7
Ruelonn called Amoonguss back!
Ruelonn sent out Slowbro!

Metagross used Ice Punch!
The foe's Slowbro lost 9% of its health!
The foe's Slowbro was frozen solid!

The foe's Slowbro restored a little HP using its Leftovers!

89%
97%

Well, the hax is unfortunate. However, as you will see, it won't matter. Slowbro may as well be a concrete wall for all the physical hits he can take, and he doesn't need to move to do that. Metagross doesn't like Slowbro one bit. On the other hand, with my opponent frozen I may as well set up SR before running for the hills.

Start of turn 8
Metagross used Stealth Rock!
Pointed stones float in the air around Ruelonn's team!

The foe's Slowbro thawed out!
The foe's Slowbro used Scald!
Metagross lost 115 HP! (31% of its health)
Metagross was burned!

Metagross is hurt by its burn

46%
100%

RNG has a twisted sense of justice... Not only does it make the hax from the previous round completely worthless, it burns my precious physical attacker. While it did have a 30% chance of occurring, RNG could have at least waited for a special attacker to switch in.

Somehow my free turn took my Metagross from healthy to 2HKO range from a Pokemon that is supposed to be on the defensive. I don't really have much choice but to switch out now as I'm afraid attacks with this low of damage output may actually heal the opposition. Anyways, I can use him for fodder later. The only question is who should take my robot's place?

Warning: The following turns consist of my second series of misplays this match. Having forgotten the defensive monstrosity that Slowbro is, I decided to risk burn and deal a SE blow with my Mienshao.

Start of turn 9
justanotheralt called Metagross back!

The foe's Slowbro used Scald!
Kojondo lost 151 HP! (55% of its health)

23%
100%

Start of turn 10
Kojondo used U-turn!
It's super effective!
The foe's Slowbro lost 28% of its health!

The foe's Slowbro used Slack Off!
The foe's Slowbro regained health!

34%
100%

Super Effective? Slowbro is trying to figure out what these words mean as he is tickled by the weasel. Like I said, major misplay here. I shouldn't have gone to Mienshao. And switching back to Metagross? I honestly have no idea what I was thinking (Probably wasn't). We are about to enter Turn 11, and as much as I hate to interrupt the wonderful battling skills I was showing off right there it's time for the Ten Turn Review!

Ten Turn Review:

Score: 5-5 Tie

Living:
34% [Burned] Active
56%
100% Unrevealed
100% Unrevealed
100% Unrevealed

100% Active
100%
100% Unrevealed
100% Unrevealed
100% Unrevealed

Dead:
0% [Faint]

0% [Faint]

Hazards: Stealth Rock is active on Ruelonn's side of the field.
Momentum Holder: Ruelonn.

My Gameplan: Stop fooling around so that I can somehow defeat the defensive core of Slowbro + Amoonguss. Punch holes through his team with Rotom-H and possibly sweep with Lucario.

Analysis: So far my opponent has shown a small amount of prediction skills. He plays stall (something my team is supposed to be designed to beat). The fact that I destroyed his hazard setter is a big win for me. However, I've only seen two other members and they form a defensive core that will be difficult to break. He relies on synergy and residual damage more than straight-up attacks. If I can just faint one of his team members I may be able to get some momentum in a snowball-like fashion allowing me to pull out a win even though those horrible misplays should disqualify me from that.

Start of turn 11
Metagross used Earthquake!
The foe's Slowbro lost 12% of its health!

The foe's Slowbro used Calm Mind!
The foe's Slowbro's Sp. Att. rose!
The foe's Slowbro's Sp. Def. rose!

22%
94% +1 SpA +1 SpD

Please, don't ask what I was thinking. I have absolutely no idea... To make matters worse, I know longer have a physically defensive monster to kill, he is slowly becoming specially bulky and gaining attack power. If I don't act quickly I may actually be swept by this thing. At this point I am finally about to make a play that is not idiotic. (I know, it's strange, but bear with me). Honchkrow! I choose you!

Start of turn 12
justanotheralt called Metagross back!
justanotheralt sent out Honchkrow!

The foe's Slowbro used Calm Mind!
The foe's Slowbro's Sp. Att. rose!
The foe's Slowbro's Sp. Def. rose!

100%
100% +2 SpA +2 SpD

Despite the fact that my bird is staring down what has become an extremely powerful tank I am feeling pretty good. At this point he could attack, CM, Slack Off, or switch.
Attacking is possible now that he has essentially gained a Nasty Plot, though if he's a good player he knows Honchkrow carries Sucker Punch, in which case he should CM again. On the other hand, he could predict that I will think that he's going to Calm Mind or he may just think I will go for a Night Slash (which I don't carry) since I'm faster. In that case he should just go ahead and attack because Night Slash is a 2HKO.However, he could be completely unaware of the risks or just outpredict me and Calm Mind while I Sucker Punch in vain. Slack Off would only be good for scouting purposes as he already has full health. This could potentially allow me to set up while giving him nothing, so I don't think he will choose that. The last possibility is that he will switch, but I don't think he wants to get rid of those boosts yet, especially considering how he left Crustle in to take a HJK to the face.
After carefully weighing my options, I determine Substitute is a move with no possible drawbacks. If he CM's then he is forced to attack next turn allowing me to kill with Sucker Punch. If he Slacks Off, he is an even worse position than if he CM'd and has to face the embarrassment of using a recovery move while at full health. If he attacks then I just SP next turn. There may be a light at the end of idiotic tunnel yet.

Start of turn 13
Honchkrow used Substitute!
Honchkrow made a substitute!

The foe's Slowbro used Ice Beam!
It's super effective!
Honchkrow's substitute faded!

Honchkrow restored a little HP using its Leftovers!

81%
100% +2 SpA +2 SpD

Well, that was the worst possible situation, but it's still not a bad one. He most likely thinks I will sub again so he will Ice Beam again in an attempt to break it. However, Honchkrow doesn't play fair. He grew up on the street and learned to kick people when their down and cheat whenever he could get away with it.

Start of turn 14
Honchkrow used Sucker Punch!
It's super effective!
The foe's Slowbro lost 57% of its health!

The foe's Slowbro used Ice Beam!
It's super effective!
Honchkrow lost 328 HP! (81% of its health)
Honchkrow fainted!

4-5 Ruelonn

Score:
4-5 Ruelonn
Mienshao (56%)
Exeggcutor (0%) [Faint]
Metagross (22%) [Burn]
Rotom-H (100%)
Honchkrow (0%) [Faint]

Crustle (0%) [Faint]
Amoonguss (100%)
Slowbro (48%) +2 SpA +2SpD
??? (100%) Unrevealed
??? (100%) Unrevealed
??? (100%) Unrevealed

justanotheralt sent out Rotom-H!

100%
48% +2 SpA +2 SpD

...That could have gone better. It seems even though my Honchkrow played dirty he still couldn't nab an OHKO. Well, you know what they say: "If an 80 BP physical STAB Super Effective attack coming off 125 Base Attack with 252 EV's and an Adamant nature is barely a 2HKO, use a special attack." I may be rephrasing the adage a little but I'm pretty sure that's about how it goes. I'm now convinced this thing has a spread of something like 252 HP 252 Def Bold. In that case, my Specs Rotom should be able to murder the annoying tank. Sure, he has +2 SpD, but tell that to a 70 BP Super Effective Special STAB coming off 105 base SpA with 252 EV's, a Modest nature and shiny new Specs. Eat this you piece of lard!

Start of turn 15
Rotom-H used Volt Switch!
It's super effective!
The foe's Slowbro lost 48% of its health!
The foe's Slowbro fainted!
justanotheralt called Rotom-H back!

4-4 Tie

Score:
4-4 Tie
Mienshao (56%)
Exeggcutor (0%) [Faint]
Metagross (22%) [Burn]
Rotom-H (100%)
Honchkrow (0%) [Faint]

Crustle (0%) [Faint]
Amoonguss (100%)
Slowbro (0%) [Faint]
Swellow (75%) [Burn]
??? (100%) Unrevealed
??? (100%) Unrevealed

Ruelonn sent out Swellow!

56%
75%

Ah, the sweet smell of fresh blood. Now that I have slain the beast I go back to my lead, the standard protocol on most free/blind switchins unless I have a better plan. There was no way I was going to Metagross, he is fodder. Lucario is to be saved for the late game and if you don't know why I didn't send in Rotom-H, well, you need help. Now to decide what to do next. Swellow is extremely predictable, always carrying a set of Protect, BB (Brave Bird), Facade, and U-Turn. He is clearly going to protect on the first turn so that he can scout and activate his Flame Orb. This next move may seem a little strange but I will soon explain why I did it.

Start of turn 16

The foe's Swellow used Protect!
But it failed!

The foe's Swellow's Flame Orb activated!
The foe's Swellow was burned!

19%
75%

I know what you're thinking: "Would you quit polluting this warstory with misplays?" However, sweet audience, I contest that this is no mistake of mine, but rather a strategic move that is all part of my plan. You see, Swellow has something like 125 base Spe, and Guts-boosted attacks can really cause some pain. The way I see it, the way to beat Swellow is to make it attack things you don't care about and chip away at it with priority and its own burn. As I said before, Metagross is useless to me, and the only way to beat this bird is to get in another team member for free. I click Bullet Punch, expecting to die, so that Lucario will have an even easier time with his first kill of the match.

Start of turn 17
Metagross used Bullet Punch!
The foe's Swellow lost 22% of its health!

The foe's Swellow used Return!
Metagross lost 28 HP! (7% of its health)
Metagross fainted!

3-4 Reulonn

Score:
3-4 Reulonn
Mienshao (89%)
Exeggcutor (0%) [Faint]
Metagross (0%) [Faint]
Lucario (100%)
Rotom-H (100%)
Honchkrow (0%) [Faint]

Crustle (0%) [Faint]
Amoonguss (100%)
Slowbro (0%) [Faint]
Swellow (40%)
??? (100%) Unrevealed
??? (100%) Unrevealed

justanotheralt sent out Labradoodle! (Lucario)

100%
40%

40% health Pokemon with almost no defensive stats? Lucario loves situations like this. You know what's going to happen next, and if my opponent plays like he's been playing he will leave his Swellow in for the certain kill. Now that I think about it, my opponent really doesn't seem to care about his Pokemon, maybe I should call PETP when I'm done here (PETP = People for the Ethical Treatment of Pokemon). Btw, what's with Return over Facade?

Start of turn 18
Labradoodle used ExtremeSpeed!
The foe's Swellow lost 40% of its health!
The foe's Swellow fainted!
Labradoodle is hurt by its Life Orb!

3-3 Tie

Score:
3-3 Tie
Mienshao (89%)
Exeggcutor (0%) [Faint]
Metagross (0%) [Faint]
Lucario (90%)
Rotom-H (100%)
Honchkrow (0%) [Faint]

Crustle (0%) [Faint]
Amoonguss (100%)
Slowbro (0%) [Faint]
Swellow (0%) [Faint]
Gabite (100%)
??? (100%) Unrevealed

Ruelonn sent out Gabite!

90%
94%

Lucario brushes off his shoulders, staring the opposition in the face and ready to rampage. Unfortunately for my little Lucario, Ground-type Pokemon don't fall over as easily as helpless birds. You will get your chance Lucario, be patient while the others prepare the enemy for destruction.
I can smell an EQ from a mile away, and because an earlier version of this team was highly ground-weak, I have 2 ground-immune Pokemon on this team. Which to choose? Oh yeah, how about the only one that's still alive?

Start of turn 19
justanotheralt called Labradoodle back!

The foe's Gabite used Earthquake!
It had no effect!

100%
94%

My Rotom-H switched in scot-free, but now what? My moves are Overheat, Volt Switch, and Trick. All of these are bad options. The first two because they won't do much/anything, and the latter because I'd rather put my spectacles on a wall rather than a sweeper(?). What's that you say? My fourth move? Oh, that's right *facepalm*, why didn't I think of that?

Start of turn 20
The foe's Gabite used Stone Edge!
It's super effective!
Rotom-H lost 178 HP! (58% of its health)

Rotom-H used Hidden Power!
It's super effective!
The foe's Gabite lost 93% of its health!
The foe's Gabite fainted!

3-2 justanotheralt (me)

Score:
3-2 justanotheralt (me)
Mienshao (89%)
Exeggcutor (0%) [Faint]
Metagross (0%) [Faint]
Lucario (90%)
Rotom-H (42%)
Honchkrow (0%) [Faint]

Crustle (0%) [Faint]
Amoonguss (100%)
Slowbro (0%) [Faint]
Swellow (0%) [Faint]
Gabite (0%) [Faint]
Hitmontop (100%)

Ruelonn sent out Hitmontop!

The foe's Hitmontop intimidates Rotom-H!
Rotom-H's Attack fell!

!a is watching the battle.

That's right, 4x SE Hidden Power Ice. I gave it to my little EasyBake Oven mostly because the combination of Yellow, Red, Purple, and Light Blue just looks so cool. Oh yeah, and for coverage. The fact that Rotom-H only took 58% from a SE attack from an offensively EV'd pokemon is highly satisfying. In case you're wondering, my Rotom has a spread of 252 HP 252 SpA Modest and 4 somewhere else. The reason is because he is built to break stall by giving me momentum with Volt Switch, punching huge holes in their team with Overheat, or just crippling a wall with Trick. He doesn't have to be fast, he just needs to hit as hard as physically (or specially) possible. In a moment I will comment on what I'm going to do next. First, though, it's time for the Twenty Turn Review!

Twenty Turn Review:

Score: 3-2 justanotheralt

Living:
42% Active, Choice-locked into Hidden Power Ice
89%
90%

94% Active
100%

Dead:
0% [Faint]
0% [Faint]
0% [Faint]

0% [Faint]
0% [Faint] (^-^)
0% [Faint]
0% [Faint]

Hazards: Stealth Rock is active on Ruelonn's side of the field.
Momentum Holder: Ruelonn (barely).
My Gameplan: We are now in late-game territory. Unfortunately, due to Ruelonn's playing style, the only two pokemon left are all on very high health. It doesn't look like Lucario will get his late-game sweep after all. Amoonguss will easily fall to Rotom, but I'm going to need Kojondo and/or Lucario to take care of Hitmontop. Long story short: Trade revenge kills ending with Rotom-H vs. Amoongus while dodging Spore.
Analysis: Ruelonn continues to play in the hyper-offensive manner in that he is all too willing to sacrifice a Pokemon in order to get another one in for free. What I first that was stall has turned out to be more of a balanced team.

Oh yeah, I have a spectator now (yay?).

Once Gabite goes down Ruelonn sends in Hitmontop to take his place, getting one of the most worthless intimidates off possible, or so I thought. In hindsight, it was actually very helpful. My next moves are going to be made subconsciously assuming TechiTop (I saw the intimidate, it just didn't register), and I will pay for these assumptions. What's the first move Technitop always uses? Fake Out, of course. I don't want Rotom to take any unnecessary damage and Lucario can easily take a Fake Out from 90%. Anyways, Hitmontop is weaker on his Defense than Special Defense, so why not switch to Lucario to take the Fake Out, then ExtremeSpeed on the Mach Punch to dent him so Mienshao can come in for free and HJK for the OHKO? Afterwards I just Taunt Amoongus on the Attack/Spore followed by Stone Edging till I die (which won't take long seeing as how I'm going to need to be Mack Punch'd by TechniTop) so Rotom-H can finish him off with Overheat. Easy as pie.

Start of turn 21
justanotheralt sent out Labradoodle! (Lucario)

The foe's Hitmontop used Hi Jump Kick!
It's super effective!
Labradoodle lost 270 HP! (90% of its health)
Labradoodle fainted!

2-2 Tie

Score:
2-2 Tie
Mienshao (89%)
Exeggcutor (0%) [Faint]
Metagross (0%) [Faint]
Lucario (0%) [Faint]
Rotom-H (42%)
Honchkrow (0%) [Faint]

Crustle (0%) [Faint]
Amoonguss (100%)
Slowbro (0%) [Faint]
Swellow (0%) [Faint]
Gabite (0%) [Faint]
Hitmontop (100%)

This, friends, is why you always pay attention to the log. My poor Lucario only managed a single kill before accidentally being used as fodder. Ruelonn manages to even up the score and I'm starting to worry. I don't remember pie being this difficult. As I get my game face on I decide who I should send out. Mienshao can *hopefully* OHKO with HJK. However, that's just asking for Amoongus to switch in. On the other hand, my opponent hasn't been predicting very much this entire match. Once Hitmontop is dead I can just fire off a Taunt and let myself die so that Rotom-H can come in and finish the overgrown fungus off with a blast of fiery death.

The foe's Hitmontop restored a little HP using its Leftovers!

89%
100%

Leftovers show me that this Hitmontop is somewhat bulky, and I'm starting to think I won't be able to OHKO. Still, there's no reason not to just Hi Jump Kick, so I go ahead and click the shiny button.

Start of turn 22
Ruelonn called Hitmontop back!

The foe's Amoonguss lost 27% of its health!

89%
79%

No reason, eh? And just when I thought I had a grip on his playing style. At this point I'm in a bit of a predicament. He knows I carry Taunt and I know he knows that. Last time we were here he straight-up attacked, but this is a different situation. Now that we're in late-game, every decision has the potential to shatter my chances of victory, so I weigh my options carefully.

1) I Taunt and he Spores. This would allow me to freely switch into Rotom-H without fear of sleep. I OHKO with Overheat or he switches into Hitmontop who takes an Overheat to the face. I don't know how much that would do, but I know he wouldn't like it. After Hitmontop is O/2HKO'd Amoongus comes in for free on a -2/4 SpA Rotom-H. I switch out and eventually sacrifice Mienshao, maybe getting a bit of damage on him in the process. Rotom comes back in and roasts the enemy. I win

2) I Taunt and he attacks. A damage calc says Stone Edge should do around 30% I already know Sludge Bomb is a 2HKO (actually, it only has a chance to 2HKO). This means he would be around 55% health once Mienshao goes down. He could easily switch out to bring that up to 88% (Regeneration) Rotom-H would be faced with two near-full-health Pokemon and Amoonguss' Taunt would be running out. I could Trick my Specs followed by an HP Ice if he stays in. If he switched I would Volt Switch to nab a 2HKO on Hitmontop followed by Overheating Amoongus. There's a lot of "if's" in here but it does have the potential for victory.I might win.

3) I don't Taunt and he Spores. Night, night Mienshao. I might wake up eventually, but at the cost of several turns of damage for me and healing for him. I'm essentially out a Pokemon. Rotom would be forced to face 2 pokemon at full health, a lofty task to say the least. He could bait an Overheat with Amoonguss followed by a switch to Hitmontop. I could possibly take down Hitmontop, but then what? I would be -2 SpA and too low on health to take down Amoonguss. I could switch in Mienshao to fodder, but I just think Sludge Bomb + whatever I take from Hitmontop would take me down first. I will probably lose

4) I don't Taunt and he doesn't Spore. This would bring him down to 55% and he would have a chance to OHKO me. However, because I didn't Taunt he would be free to cover me in powder after the first turn. This gives us 4a:

4a) He still isn't Taunted and I'm near death. I could Taunt as he kills me (or if he misses the KO just Stone Edge next turn before I die) giving Rotom a free switch-in against a Taunted mushroom at 61/37% health. I Trick as he switches or Sludge Bombs followed by HP Ice for the O/2HKO and Hitmontop gets the free switch-in. I Overheat for the 2HKO. On the other hand, Hitmontop could take the Trick and then get 2HKO'd by Volt Switch. Next, Amoonguss comes in at 94/70% health and is 2HKO'd by Overheat. I'm not sure if Rotom would be able to take all those hits, even with his 252 HP EVs. I will probably lose

4b) I go for 2 Stone Edges in a row and he is free to Spore me. Mienshao is out for the count and Rotom takes on 2 healthy pokemon. As extensively documented above, Rotom needs Mienshao awake to take on both Hitmontop and Amoonguss. I will probably lose

Sorry for the wall of text. As I think all of this through I notice the timer is starting to go down close to 2 minutes. Because the best possible outcomes involve Taunting, I decide to play it safe. Mienshao, call him mean names and make fun of his girlfriend!

Start of turn 23
Kojondo used Taunt!

The foe's Amoonguss can't use Spore after the taunt!

89%
85%

Mienshao is successfully infuriating the Mushroom Pokemon and I'm practically doing a victory dance. Ruelonn changes it up from the last time these two met and pays brutally for it. However, the battle isn't over yet. I need to get Rotom-H on the field and what better way to do so than to have Mienshao jump off the opponent's face and into his Pokeball? (That's how I imagine the move U-turn working)

Start of turn 24
Kojondo used U-turn!
The foe's Amoonguss lost 20% of its health!

Rotom-H lost 38 HP! (12% of its health)
Rotom-H had its energy drained!

30%
80%(?) (Giga Drain is confusing)

Awesome. If he had used Sludge Bomb I would be a bit less happy. Things are all going according to plan. I'm not sure if he will switch as he has been doing that a lot more lately but I do know Overheat will 2 or OHKO both of them.

Start of turn 25
Ruelonn called Amoonguss back!
Ruelonn sent out Hitmontop!

The foe's Hitmontop intimidates Rotom-H!
Rotom-H's Attack fell!

Rotom-H used Overheat!
The foe's Hitmontop lost 89% of its health!
Rotom-H's Sp. Att. sharply fell!

30%
17%

Talk about Specially Defensive. It doesn't matter, though, as even a -2 SpA drop can't stop Rotom from finishing the fighter. Rotom, you know what to do. I'm not worried about Fake Out because he's already revealed he doesn't have it.

Start of turn 26
The foe's Hitmontop used Sucker Punch!
Rotom-H lost 69 HP! (22% of its health)

Rotom-H used Overheat!
The foe's Hitmontop lost 10% of its health!
The foe's Hitmontop fainted!

2-1 justanotheralt

Score:
2-1 justanotheralt
Mienshao (89%)
Exeggcutor (0%) [Faint]
Metagross (0%) [Faint]
Lucario (0%) [Faint]
Rotom-H (8%) -4 SpA
Honchkrow (0%) [Faint]

Crustle (0%) [Faint]
Amoonguss (100%)
Slowbro (0%) [Faint]
Swellow (0%) [Faint]
Gabite (0%) [Faint]
Hitmontop (0%) [Faint]

8%(!)
94% (?)

Oh yeah, I forgot about Sucker Punch. I guess Honchkrow isn't the only one who grew up in the Hood. Nonetheless, Rotom takes the cheap shot like a boss and kills the hoodlum for his distaste. Upon cleaning up the mess the mushroom returns (will it not die?!?!). There's only one possible move for him: Spore. Guess who is useless now? Mienshao. Though he was very helpful it's time for him to be put to sleep. No, literally put to sleep. This way I also get back up to normal SpA levels with Rotom to ensure the OHKO. And what if he doesn't Spore? Well then Mienshao can chip off his health until Amoonguss kills him giving Rotom-H the best chance for an OHKO.

Start of turn 27

The foe's Amoonguss used Spore!
Kojondo fell asleep!

[Sleeping] 100%
100%

Good. Now that I'm asleep I'm just going to keep pressing Taunt to make sure he can't Spore no more once I wake up. Then I sacrifice Rotom and grab victory.

Start of turn 28
Kojondo is fast asleep!

Kojondo lost 124 HP! (45% of its health)
Kojondo had its energy drained!

[Dreaming sweet dreams] 55%
100%

Does anyone else wonder why the Pokemon continue sleeping even though they are being Punched, hit by a Waterfall, or, in this case, attacked with parasitic plant parts and, to an extent, being eaten?

Start of turn 29
Kojondo woke up!
Kojondo used Taunt!

The foe's Amoonguss used Sludge Bomb!
Kojondo lost 133 HP! (48% of its health)

5%
100% (Taunted)

I bolded my waking up just because I think 3 turns of sleep isn't very much. I finally get off the Taunt and Mienshao is just about to die. Perfect.

Start of turn 30
Kojondo used Stone Edge!
A critical hit!
The foe's Amoonguss lost 61% of its health!

Kojondo lost 15 HP! (5% of its health)
Kojondo fainted!
Kojondo had its energy drained!

1-1 Tie

Score:
1-1 Tie
Mienshao (0%) [Faint]
Exeggcutor (0%) [Faint]
Metagross (0%) [Faint]
Lucario (0%) [Faint]
Rotom-H (8%)
Honchkrow (0%) [Faint]

Crustle (0%) [Faint]
Amoonguss (46%)
Slowbro (0%) [Faint]
Swellow (0%) [Faint]
Gabite (0%) [Faint]
Hitmontop (0%) [Faint]

8%
46% (Taunted)

As you can see, the hax won't matter. 252 SpA Modest STAB 140 BP Super Effective w/ Specs is going to kill something, whether it has 46% or 76% health.

Start of turn 31
Rotom-H used Overheat!
It's super effective!
The foe's Amoonguss lost 46% of its health!
The foe's Amoonguss fainted!

justanotheralt won the battle!
justanotheralt: gg

Score:
1-0 justanotheralt
Mienshao (0%) [Faint]
Exeggcutor (0%) [Faint]
Metagross (0%) [Faint]
Lucario (0%) [Faint]
Rotom-H (8%)
Honchkrow (0%) [Faint]

Crustle (0%) [Faint]
Amoonguss (0%) [Faint]
Slowbro (0%) [Faint]
Swellow (0%) [Faint]
Gabite (0%) [Faint]
Hitmontop (0%) [Faint]

What an epic battle! I realize there wasn't too much suspense at the end, but is it really necessary that every warstory's final turn be a moment of immense suspense? What happened to the denouement? Anyway, this was a really fun battle and it was even more fun writing about it! It's my first warstory, so don't kill me if it sucks. Ratings out of 10 are encouraged! (Please separate the Rate into Format, Commentary, and Battle so that I have a more detailed view of what I did right or wrong.) If you have any suggestions or find an error, don't hesitate to let me know! Now for the MVP and Props/Slops:

MVP:

Not only is Rotom-H the MVP but the warstory was even named after him! Rotom-H nabbed 4 KO's the whole battle, 2 of them without aid. He took down the mostrosity that is Slowbro and helped me to keep momentum throughout the match. Good Job my little EasyBake Oven!

Props:

-Me, for winning most of the mind games.

-Kojondo, for singlehandedly defeating Crustle and denying him entry hazards. Also, for shutting down Amoonguss' attempt at Sporing and eventually taking one for the team by eating powdery dust from the Sandman, er- Amoonguss.

-Honchkrow, for paving the way for Rotom-H to murder Slowbro by battling like a gansta' and using his brass knuckles. Also for sacrificing his life in the line of duty.

-Metagross for actually doing something while he was burnt and Lucario for picking up the slack by revenge-killing Swellow.

-Rotom-H for the same reasons he is MVP

-Slowbro, for walling everything to no end.

-Ruelonn, for not using Technitop, or any predictable set for that matter.

Slops:

-Me, for playing like an idiot with Exeggcutor

-Me, for bringing both Mienshao and Metagross in against Slowbro, and for thinking a burnt Metagross' EQ would do anything against said Slowbro.

-Me, for not reading the log.

-Me, for originally thinking his name was Reulonn, it took me so long to find all of the times I wrote that and fix them.

-Me, for doing the same thing with Amoonguss, I thought it was Amoongus

-Ruelonn, for sacrificing so many of his Pokemon for no reason.

-Ruelonn, for not saying "gg"

good commentary, good format, all was good. overall good warstory, EXCEPT the battle was pretty bad. your misplays werent that bad... but your opponent.. wasnt that good.

out of all the things u can use on DREAM WORLD, eviolite gabite? WHAT? and im confused... how the hell is lucario UU?... other than the horrible opponent, good first warstory. and also... why the fuck does swellow carry return?

and why do you play dream world? isnt all your team not-dw pokemo?

7.5/10

The commentary was good on the whole and the formatting was fantastic, but the battle was awful and there were some atrocious misplays on both sides. That said, you obviously put alot of time and effort into writing this, and it showed, so I'll be looking forward to a Warstory with a better battle in the future.

I liked your format. Your commentary was excellent. Your battle was ass. The THIRD turn of the match, you sacked Exeggutor for zero reason whatsoever--"I'm 4x weak to Bug so I'll stall out a Pokemon with bug STAB."

Keep trying. Just choose a better battle.

Lucario is only UU in DW. I was also confused by the lack of facade. I just like dw better and I don't have a wifi uu team. I may make one soon, but for now my team works in DW bc it counters DW stuff. @blarajan, thats y i listed it under slops... Thanks for the rates everyone, I'll find a better opponent next time *hopefully*

That wasn't just a slop, though. It was a ridiculous turn off towards the entire rest of the battle. You need to choose a battle that actually deserves a warstory. Not one riddled with mistakes.

My first post in Smogon Forum, although the warstory is excellent, I have to agree with the other people here that the battle was adequate. I shall grant your wish with this
Format : 9 / 10
Commentary : 8 / 10
Battle : 4 / 10
Total : 21 / 30
Hope to see more from you, you have potential.

I like your formatting and your commentary is quite detailed. But yes, the battle wasn't exactly what you'd expect for a warstory. Oh btw, with the instant defrost in the early turns with Slowbro vs Metagross, Scald auto-defrosts you if you use it.

Some users (Citizen, for example) have constantly expressed their hate towards the phrase "Takes the hit like a champ".
Wow, that's retarded. Imma use that phrase more often now.

Aaanyways @ TC, cool format bro. Just pick up on your battling skills for more entertaining war stories!

alphatron

Volt turn in every tier! I'm in despair!
It's because the phrase is used in quite a lot of warstories and some people get annoyed at seeing it too often. Kind of like how I get annoyed whenever I see the phrase, "It can't be helped"

Good commentary. Neat format. But as others have said, the battle could have been better.

Stratos

Banned deucer.
your opponent, to put it kindly, sucked ass. 4/10 for the poor battle, even though the commentary was great, it was not entertaining.

verbatim

[PLACEHOLDER]
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Amoongus sure took those hits like a Champignon.
I am extremely disappointed that no one has made a Machamp pun at this point in time. Any who, your warstory itself was good, the battle (sorry, but both sides) was not. I recommend you get a battle where you don't make any mistakes (max 1 or 2) and wherein your opponent has actual prediction skills. It kind of looked like your opponent just slapped a team together without any forethought.

Sorry if that sounded a bit harsh, you did do a really good job of presentation, so if you submit a good warstory next time I will be sure to read it start to finish.

Amoonguss sure took those hits like a Champignon.
Le lol.

You took a mediocre battle and made it fun to read with interesting commentary, a good format, and the little additions like health percentages and status updates made it very easy to follow along. I don't think that the battle is as important as the story, and you told a good story. I hope to see more warstories from you!

Agreeing with everyone else: Bad battle, good commentary. Next time, just wait until you get a battle that is really good; if you do that, you will make a truly great warstory.

Taunt meinshao. I never would have thought of that. I liked the battle idk what other people are saying, but that's imo. However, I like you. Ya got potential. 10/10 + a luv
EDIT 1: For commentary. However like everyone else says, better battle. Sorry

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)