EXTREME Tier Shift

I suppose by now we all know that everything in PU with stats better than Phiones has very good stats in ETS. More specialized stats may even give it the ability to perform one role in particular. However, PU isn't just the Tier of mons with bad stats. There's definitely more to a good mon, especially given that it has to compete in the Ubers environment.

First of all, many of the high stat mons have awful typing. Thats mostly true for the big Ice types Cuno, Regice and Cryogonal. You may also add Lapras and Avalugg if you wish. PU is really full of them. Various Grass/Fire/Bug and to an extend Flying types suffer a similar fate. While Ice and Fire are at least good offensively, their defensive stat spread often holds these mons back.

Next, theres the movepool. It tends to be pretty small for most PU and even NU mons. this makes them linear or even outright unable to do what you intend them to do. Lapras for example can't really be a Dragon Dance sweeper due to lacking good Ice Stab or the typing to set up on much, even though it has the speed and bulk needed. As a wall on the over hand, it lacks recovery and is weak to Rocks, making it not very good at switching into the powerful Ubers threats. In Gen 5 it would've been such a nice Hydration tank, but it didn't have Freeze-Dry :/

Then and that's huge in my opinion, there's Arceus. Everyone knows how great Arceus is, but I'll say it anyways because we need it for comparison: Arceus is fast, powerful, bulky, has a very good movepool and is very unpredictably from team preview and sometimes even when it is already on the Field.
While quite a couple of low tier mons now exceed the 120 speed tier, they still lack key qualities that make Arceus so amazing. So when using, say a pure Water type, you have to ask yourself: Why not use Arcues-Water instead? Of course, that depends on whether or not you have already an Arceus on your team.

The last thing immediately came to mind when i saw Magcargo: What does this mon have over Primal Groudon? Most Fire and Ground types tend to be outclassed by Groudon or Ho-Oh in one way or another. And Groudon also leads to what is probably most important: You have to respect the metagame. Since ETS is relatively small there unfortunately hasn't been much of an developement yet, so it mainly comes down to the Ubers meta. And if your team cant touch, say Giratina-O, because all you run are some Bug/Normal/Fire types from PU, you're not gonna succeed. At least the S rank of Ubers, ideally also the A ranks should be considered when building a serious ETS team. Primal Groudon is still the king of anything.

I hope we can get discussion to a point where ETS is a real metagame and not just throwing together cool mons hyped for base stats over 120. It's already there but i think there's still room to improve. Obviously, playing the meta would also greatly help getting real experience and get over theorymonning ;)

In terms of Sticky Web, I think Galvantula deserves a mention alongside Leavanny for potentially 2HKoing Sableye with LO Thunder, which Leavanny struggles with due to Leaf Storms stat drops. It also still prevents the Latis from defogging. It also has a chance to defeat neutral support Arceus, but is unfortunately outsped if they run max speed and switch in on the turn it lays down Webs, firing off a Thunder is highly adviced in such a situation. So depending on the opponents Defogger, both have their strengths and shortcomings. However, both lose horribly to Giratina(-O), so when building a Webs team, you may want to consider that.

And, as I realize, Eeveelutions are lovely and all, but since this is Ubers, they will probably still be outclassed, pretty much with the exception of Heal Bell and Baton Pass as their main unique moves, in like that order:
Alomomola
Zekrom and Arceus-Electric, even though neither are too good on their own
Primal Groudon
Mewtwo, although no Magic Bounce, Espeon can hardly find switchins into anything other than Lugia. If its stats were a little better, it could be considered as a non-Mega Magic Bounce user, but they're just so bad...
Darkceus, since it can at least somewhat threaten Fairies
Skymin, mainly due to Healing wish. It's imo still the best offensive Grass-type, but if you, for whatever reason, need that swords dancing Heal Bell Grass, then Leafeon mayfit the team, since its stats appear quite good, for what it is intented to do
Kyurem-W, because it has an actual movepool :o
Poor Sylveon...
I really don't know what set you're supposedly running on Galvantula, but it's not viable. Primal groudon laughs at it so hard, being immune to one stab and resisting the other. And even then, if you're running LO have to fun getting OHKOd and if you're running sash you dont... threaten anything. Latias and Arceus's effortlessly wall you and easily defog on you, of course this ignores the fact that... sticky web is just bad. It's good in theory but ban in practise.

252 SpA Galvantula Bug Buzz vs. 212 HP / 0 SpD Soul Dew Latias: 138-164 (38.9 - 46.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

how tf have we been ignoring Flygon it's a total game-changer for how ETS is defined

I mean, Flygon was already a viable Primaldon check, but now it actually has good stats so it can be a much better! And then it makes PU's myriad Ice-typos actually relevant, because it's both a defogger and 4x weak to Ice. Actually, a lot of RU 'mons were already viable in Ubers.

Speaking of Primaldon checks, Golduck is now actually usable for that purpose! ...whee?

Some interesting NFE/LC mons:

Roselia

90/100/85/140/120/105

A great defensive/offensive spiker w/ eviolite. A good partner would be P-Don, which offers rocks, t-wave, and dragon tail/roar phazing, allowing for hazard damage to stack up, making this pair a great addition to a hazard stacking team.

Munchlax

/125/80/80/125/45

Fantastic mon, with hp through the roof coupled with eviolite bulk, a not great but decent enough movepool and offensive stats to boot. It's defense is still bad, but it can be patched up with a curse rest talk set! You can also run fire punch/eq to hit steel types better. It's only competitive ability could be better, but thick fat's alright.

But seriously, just look at how well it tanks stuff!

252+ Atk Primal Groudon Precipice Blades vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Munchlax: 220-261 (39.7 - 47.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

252+ SpA Primal Groudon Fire Blast vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Eviolite Thick Fat Munchlax in Harsh Sunshine: 69-82 (12.4 - 14.8%) -- possible 7HKO

Still can't outspeed anything though :/

Fraxure

106/157/110/80/90/107

Has exactly the same amount of attack and speed as its evolution , but with more bulk, and even more bulk if you decide to go with an eviolite, making setting up dds much easier. What stinks is its smaller movepool, notably the lack of eq.

AllJokesAside Disregarding the general viability of Webs, which I don't really wanna discuss here, how does Latias prevent Galvantula from setting up Webs? Say, Lati vs Sash Galvantula is the lead matchup. You lay Webs turn 1, he Psyshocks. If you trade attacks on the next turn, you have Webs down and Lati at around 50%. If he Defogs on the Bug Buzz, you can lay Webs again the next turn so nothing really changed. Galvantulas single role is to get Webs up and if it weakens something or, unlikely enough, gets a kill, then that's nice. Because it has a free moveslot it can also mess with max Speed Defog Arceus, which isn't even that common (iirc it's only really a thing on Support Ghostceus due to EKiller). Thunder Wave for Arceus and Toxic for Groudon (which can't prevent Webs either) can already help, even though you may want to pack a check to setup sweeper variants, which you should do anyways, whether running Webs or not. I'd say, you should run Taunt (Mega-)Mewtwo and Darkrai on Webs anyways so the Lead matchup isn't even that one dimensional.

About the mons mentioned above, I would definitely consider Flygon and Roselia viable. In Fact, Flygon is like the perfect example of a good ETS mon, being already viable in standard Ubers and now even having decent stats to back up its typing and ability.
Munchlax also sounds interesting with its huge special bulk and access to Curse. It can even set up on Support Primal Groudon lacking a phazing move with a max Def/max SpD spread which is probably best due to its HP already being so high. A Purtuit user would be a really good partner to get rid of those Ghosts.

I suppose by now we all know that everything in PU with stats better than Phiones has very good stats in ETS. More specialized stats may even give it the ability to perform one role in particular. However, PU isn't just the Tier of mons with bad stats. There's definitely more to a good mon, especially given that it has to compete in the Ubers environment.

First of all, many of the high stat mons have awful typing. Thats mostly true for the big Ice types Cuno, Regice and Cryogonal. You may also add Lapras and Avalugg if you wish. PU is really full of them. Various Grass/Fire/Bug and to an extend Flying types suffer a similar fate. While Ice and Fire are at least good offensively, their defensive stat spread often holds these mons back.

Next, theres the movepool. It tends to be pretty small for most PU and even NU mons. this makes them linear or even outright unable to do what you intend them to do. Lapras for example can't really be a Dragon Dance sweeper due to lacking good Ice Stab or the typing to set up on much, even though it has the speed and bulk needed. As a wall on the over hand, it lacks recovery and is weak to Rocks, making it not very good at switching into the powerful Ubers threats. In Gen 5 it would've been such a nice Hydration tank, but it didn't have Freeze-Dry :/

Then and that's huge in my opinion, there's Arceus. Everyone knows how great Arceus is, but I'll say it anyways because we need it for comparison: Arceus is fast, powerful, bulky, has a very good movepool and is very unpredictably from team preview and sometimes even when it is already on the Field.
While quite a couple of low tier mons now exceed the 120 speed tier, they still lack key qualities that make Arceus so amazing. So when using, say a pure Water type, you have to ask yourself: Why not use Arcues-Water instead? Of course, that depends on whether or not you have already an Arceus on your team.

The last thing immediately came to mind when i saw Magcargo: What does this mon have over Primal Groudon? Most Fire and Ground types tend to be outclassed by Groudon or Ho-Oh in one way or another. And Groudon also leads to what is probably most important: You have to respect the metagame. Since ETS is relatively small there unfortunately hasn't been much of an developement yet, so it mainly comes down to the Ubers meta. And if your team cant touch, say Giratina-O, because all you run are some Bug/Normal/Fire types from PU, you're not gonna succeed. At least the S rank of Ubers, ideally also the A ranks should be considered when building a serious ETS team. Primal Groudon is still the king of anything.

I hope we can get discussion to a point where ETS is a real metagame and not just throwing together cool mons hyped for base stats over 120. It's already there but i think there's still room to improve. Obviously, playing the meta would also greatly help getting real experience and get over theorymonning ;)
I think the problem here is that there are so many new things to play around with in ETS that the Pokémon that are already good in standard (in this case, the Ubers elite) will, at least to start off with, be overlooked for the newly buffed ones. I think I've seen it described somewhere as "new toy syndrome," and that just about sums it up I think. While some of the PU/NU mons will definitely be viable here, there's not really much reason for things like Mightyena to be hyped up.

re: Magcargo: It has Shell Smash over Primal Groudon. Other than that, it's outclassed.

Hmm... I found really interesting Defog and Stealth Rock user from PU.
I'm more happy, because this pokemon comes from my favorite starter evolution line:

Prinplup @ Eviolite
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Defog
- Stealth Rock
- Rest

This little pinguin can take huge amound of Sp. Atacks really well, and physical after burning sweaper from Scald.
Sadly no other healing move expect Rest...
Have much better defensive stats than Empoleon. Deserving Steel type means he take better that Ground moves, but also have much less protection from other moves. Also, thanks to bigger boost, he have more base points for every single stat (expect Sp. Atack) than Empoleon.

More maybe I add later, because I'm on tablet.

Hmm... I found really interesting Defog and Stealth Rock user from PU.
I'm more happy, because this pokemon comes from my favorite starter evolution line:

Prinplup @ Eviolite
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Defog
- Stealth Rock
- Rest

This little pinguin can take huge amound of Sp. Atacks really well, and physical after burning sweaper from Scald.
Sadly no other healing move expect Rest...
Have much better defensive stats than Empoleon. Deserving Steel type means he take better that Ground moves, but also have much less protection from other moves. Also, thanks to bigger boost, he have more base points for every single stat (expect Sp. Atack) than Empoleon.

More maybe I add later, because I'm on tablet.
k3w3i.jpg

Also, it's not like ubers don't already exist. Like Prinplup is hardly competing with any of the already existing Defoggers. Like, what is Prinplup doing to Primal groudon? Or how is competing Arceus-Water? Soul dew Latios/Latias?

The benchmark to hit where typing, move-set and ability no longer matter in favour of stats is somewhere around 700, just look at Mega Mewtwo X

View attachment 60014

Also, it's not like ubers don't already exist. Like Prinplup is hardly competing with any of the already existing Defoggers. Like, what is Prinplup doing to Primal groudon? Or how is competing Arceus-Water? Soul dew Latios/Latias?

The benchmark to hit where typing, move-set and ability no longer matter in favour of stats is somewhere around 700, just look at Mega Mewtwo X
To be fair, Arceus-Water both doesn't get eviolite or scald, so its not like there are no advantages. Furthermore,being slower is often more useful than defog. He isn't pushing for s-rank, and it isn't like its bad.

Edit because jajoken: I was tired, nice catch.

Last edited:
160+ Atk Life Orb Abomasnow Wood Hammer vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Prinplup: 187-221 (45.4 - 53.7%) -- 39.1% chance to 2HKO
160+ Atk Life Orb Abomasnow Wood Hammer vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Arceus-Water: 260-307 (58.5 - 69.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

To be fair, it is bulkier than Arceus on its invested stat (its Defense is the weaker of the two as well). Don't know what you mean about Rapid Spin though because Prinplup can't use it. The real detriment is lack of recovery, which makes Prinplup entirely outclassed at its role.

Some interesting PU/NU mons:

Octillery

115/145/115/145/115/85

With decent mixed attacking stats, good coverage, and mixed bulk with a good defensive typing, octillery could be a good bulky powerhouse with choice specs. However, Octillery faces very stiff competition from the likes of palkia and primal kyrogre, with the former having stat boosting moves and a better movepool and the latter having more raw power and better special defense w/ rain to boost it's stab attacks. However, Octillery has more bulk over palkia and a better special movepool over P-kye, meaning it can form a small niche.

Altaria

115/110/130/110/145/120

With amazing bulk especially on the spd. side, good attack and speed perfectly suited for a offensive dd set, roost, cotton guard and natural cure for defensive sets, heal bell, tailwind, roar, & perish song for supportive sets. Yeah, this thing is very versatile. However, it has a bad defensive typing, leaving it weak to ice and rock type attacks, and faces competition from giratina, who has more hp to make up for less defense and has a better defensive typing coupled with other support moves such as willo and defog. However, I think altaria has the advantage due to reliable recovery and better offensive presence.

Muk

/135/105/95/130/80

Great hp and sp.def allows muk to survive a special hit and retaliate with his impressive 135 attack. His movepool could definitely be better, but he has coverage and priority, which makes up for his lack of speed. He also has a good defensive typing, making his great defensive stats stand out even more. He has a boosting stat move in curse which also boosts his defenses, making him hard to take down. But if you don't want to lower his speed, you can go with PuP instead. However, Muk lacks reliable recovery outside of pain split and rest, limiting his ability to wall.

Last edited:
Some interesting RU mons:

Togetic

75/60/105/100/125/60

A very bulky defogger with evio & roost, plus other support moves such as nastypassing, heal bell, tailwind and encore.

252+ Atk Primal Groudon Stone Edge vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Togetic: 144-170 (40.7 - 48.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

However, it's typing while allowing useful resistances opens up weaknesses to common attacking types such as ice and rock, and it's abilitys could be more useful, with serene grace boosting fire blasts burn chance and not doing much else, while super luck is, well, luck-based. It also faces competition from every Ubers defogger, since almost all of them have more offensive presence.

Escavalier

90/155/125/80/125/40

Impressive attack, strong stab move in megahorn & iron head coupled with knock off and pursuit and coverage in drill run plus a stat boosting move in SD. Unfortunately, this is the entirety of Escavaliers usable movepool, besides maybe poison jab to hit fairys and rest talk. However, Escavalier does very good with this great but very small pool of moves, utilizing a Megahorn/Iron head/K-off/SD very well, alongside a Megahorn/SD/Rest/Sleep Talk set. He also has very nice bulk and good typing, pairing well with the rest talk set.

Meloetta

/97/97/148/148/110

Amazing special defense & sp. att, making it a fantastic user of calm mind, and it's great speed allows it to outspeed alot of the 90s in the Ubers tier. It's movepool is also fantastic, boasting good stab and very good coverage in focus miss and dazzling meme.

+1 252 SpA Life Orb Meloetta Hyper Voice vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Primal Kyogre: 208-247 (51.6 - 61.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

However, meloetta's typing leaves it vulnerable to pursuit trapping and K-off.

The premier bulky Normal type in the meta is probably Audino due to its very good bulk, wide support movepool and most importantly Regenerator. If you cant fit Rocks elsewhere, you may want to consider Blissey/Chansey, but they're short on moveslots already...
Among the Regis, Regice could pull off a decent Life Orb set if you have your Arceus already set to something else (dunno if Ice spam could be a thing). It has Focus Blast and isn't 4x weak to Rocks unlike Cuno. Jolly Ekillers LO ESpeed also does less than 40% to 0/4 Regice so its relatively hard to stop after a Rock Polish. Unless you really want the Ice typing for whatever reason, you are better off using Xerneas most of the time though.
Maybe a team featuring Iceceus/Regice/Xerneas as an offensive core could work? It would at least be interesting to try.

Has anyone Mentioned Zebstrika yet?

ETS Stats: 115/140/103/120/103/156

And for some Gen 3 NFEs:

Combusken (NU) - 60/85/60/85/60/55 -> 90/115/90/115/90/85

Combusken has the possibility to be one of the best physical attackers in ETS (Due to its burn immunity and with eviolite, a better ability to set up SpeedDance [SD + Speed Boost])

Marshtomp (NFE) - 70/85/70/60/70/50 -> 110/125/110/100/110/90

Now with stats that rival mega Swampert!

Grovyle (NFE) - 50/65/45/85/65/95 -> 90/105/85/115/105/135

Now even faster, but is still weaker than Sceptile :(

Last edited:
Has anyone Mentioned Zebstrika yet?

ETS Stats: 115/140/103/120/103/156
Zebstrika's stats are pretty neat, yes, and Lightning Rod and Motor Drive are both good abilities, but unfortunately its disappointing movepool (barely any coverage options to take advantage of its higher offensive stat, for one thing) still holds it back quite a bit. The fact that it's an Electric-type in a tier where Primal Groudon (which hard-counters pretty much every Electric-type in the game) exists isn't exactly doing it many favors, either.

so this post isn't a two-liner, have some cool NFEs:

Gabite: 108/130/105/90/95/122
Essentially Garchomp with superior defenses and Speed and the ability to hold Eviolite. It lacks some of Garchomp's moves, notably Swords Dance and Dragon Tail, but it's extremely bulky with Eviolite and hits decently hard as well. It gets worn down easily thanks to its lack of reliable recovery, though, so be sure to use it wisely.

Pupitar: 110/124/110/105/110/91
Okay, this is mostly outclassed by Rhydon... but it has attributes that set it apart favorably from Rhydon, particularly access to Dragon Dance, superior Special bulk, a higher base Speed stat, and the useful ability of Shed Skin which allows it to shrug off harmful status if given enough time. Probably not as good as Rhydon overall given its far inferior physical stats, but it's a solid bet should you want an NFE Dragon Dancer with a good offensive typing and good bulk.

Duosion: 105/80/90/165/100/70
Decently bulky Calm Minder with alright coverage and an amazing Special Attack stat of 165. A weakness to Knock Off is harmful to it in a tier where it's likely to be everywhere, but I can see its positive qualities (namely, said Special Attack stat which I believe is the highest of any NFE) outshining its flaws.

maybe more later if I stop being lazy

is there a reason why we increase all stats by a fixed amount ?
wouldnt it be better by applying a multiplier instead ?

Well adding a fixed amount to all stats just make everything bulky and hit decently good, they have the 100/100/100/100/100/100 feel. If something is slow, it should stay slow imo. But with this system, they all become average fast. Using a multiplier keep the original idea imo. And if something is known for being strong, it should be even more strong.

Well adding a fixed amount to all stats just make everything bulky and hit decently good, they have the 100/100/100/100/100/100 feel. If something is slow, it should stay slow imo. But with this system, they all become average fast. Using a multiplier keep the original idea imo. And if something is known for being strong, it should be even more strong.
I see where you're coming from, but the whole idea of ETS is make low-tier, NFE or LC mons potentially Uber viable, and a multiplier does not help with that idea at all, as they typically have low BSTs. Besides, ETS is based off of TS, so unless TS changes ETS will remain the same.

I updated the OP and added Eviolite to the banlist. I thought I'd done that a long time ago but I guess not.

(This shouldn't be controversial - do you really want to fight Rhydon or Munchlax with their new stats and an Eviolite?)
According to ROM it IS controversial. Oh wait, it isn't, because everyone unanimously dislikes the Eviolite ban.

EV

Banned deucer.
According to ROM it IS controversial. Oh wait, it isn't, because everyone unanimously dislikes the Eviolite ban.
Well that was fast. I didn't think urkerab could update the code that quickly.

Why don't they like it?

I updated the OP and added Eviolite to the banlist. I thought I'd done that a long time ago but I guess not.

(This shouldn't be controversial - do you really want to fight Rhydon or Munchlax with their new stats and an Eviolite?)
rip Eviolite

despite this ban I think a lot of NFEs with high-tier evolutions will still be decent here, as in many cases their stats will be better than their evolved forms all-around. that said though, low-tier FEs should also become more prominent as they're not totally eclipsed by their NFE counterparts now

I'm mixed on this ban, personally. sure, it'll probably make the meta healthier in the long-term, but:
Pika Xreme: ETS is now a NO FUN ZONE and has jumped the shark
...actually, I'm not sure I can agree with that either. nobody enjoys being stalled out by an Eviolite Tangela, for an example

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)