Films That Make You Cry

It's weird because I was just thinking about The Boy in the Striped Pajamas last night. But anyways I'm glad to see so many people mentioning it. I remember seeing it in theaters and BEGGING that somehow the father got there in time to stop it. The build up to that scene was so tense and I remember hearing a few people cry once they showed the door with only silence. I think that was probably the first time I watched a movie that left me shocked and nearly put me in tears. I think it was the combination of the boys innocence + the horror of the event.

Other honorable mentions include the ending of Gran Torino, when Clint put his hand in his pocket only to reveal a lighter, Schindler's List (pretty much the entirety of the movie), the opening scene of Up which a few have mentioned and Boromir's death and speech to Aragorn in LOTR.

I would have would have followed you, my brother... my captain... my king. :(

Mack the Knife

Goodbye Smogon! I may return, I may not!
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
@Faint Crap! I totally forgot about Up. Thanks for the reminder.

EDIT: And I forgot Field of Dreams. Man, I'm forgetful.

Last edited:
so far I've only cried at bambi. it's so bad that I just can't watch it even today, the moment when the stag dies just breaks my heart every single time and i well up

Magistrum

DOITSU NO KAGAKU WA SEKAI ICHI
is a Top Artist Alumnus
Windstruck [Korean Movie]
Les Miserables

These were the most recent ones that gave me feels

god dammit so many films make me cry

a recent one that had me in tears so many times was Les Miserables

spoilers
2 of the bits of that film that made me cry the most was when the kid and dog died at the barricade. It was so well done and had tears streaming down my face. The ending though. OH MY GOD THE ENDING. I genuinely think that is some of the hardest crying ive ever done in my life. All the dead people singing together - and the song is perfect. Man I want to rewatch that film just cos crying felt so good at the end ;___;

- requiem for a dream
pretty much the entire damn thing... and then the ending. ALL THIS MOVIE DOES IT MAKE YOU FEEL LIKE SHIT. the mother's downward spiral in particularly breaks my heart.

- donnie darko
I really hate when a character I'm rooting for dies at the end of a film. sure, he saved the world and so on and his girlfriend gets to live, but I wanted Donnie and Gretchen to be happy together at the end

I don't find the overall movie sad, just that ending (in some ways it's not-so-sad I guess) and some other tidbits here and there

happen to be some of my favourite movies, too.

Last edited:

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I can't remember if I cried but I know I got very emotional with a film called Eleni, where a man goes back to his homeland in Greece to learn about his Mothers death, and finds out the man who may have caused her death is still alive. Both sides of the story of the mother during the war and the son searching fit together so perfectly. I'm not sure if it would make others cry as I have a personal connection to the films backstory.

I haven't really watched many films (more of a literature/video games person) but Porky mentioned 5 centimetres per second and that always makes me cry. I don't want to spoil it, but it's incredibly gorgeous (visually, atmospherically, verbally) and evocative. It resonates with me in a very strong and aching way because it gently recognises and accepts the way relationships are often incredibly complicated, often by factors we cannot fully control.

I also remember being very affected by Léon when I watched it.

To be honest I cry when I watch even the most insincere and tawdry emotional scenes; I never used to, but I just became one of those people. Oops. But 5 centimetres per second is not one of those films, it's actually worth getting a tear in your eye over. Less seriously but I cannot actually watch Finding Nemo despite it being otherwise excellent because of Nemo's mom dying (I have a childhood trauma), I got through it in the theatres crying my eyes out but the next time I saw it I had to leave the room after Nemo's mom died... yeah...

Films I am pleased have got a mention:

Bridge to Terabithia - I hate myself for getting so affected by this film because of its obvious flaws. It IS shamelessly sappy, and the kids don't act like real kids - real kids have imagination but they do actually realise that stuff in their imaginations isn't real. It's also kind of weird seeing Zooey Deschanel before she became really famous. Anyway, yeah, a guilty pleasure (or guilty misery, I guess).

The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas - Kind of weird seeing this one mentioned right next to Life is Beautiful, since they are very interesting to compare. Life is Beautiful tells the story of the Holocaust through the eyes of a Jewish child, whereas for me The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas tells the much more interesting story of the Holocaust through the eyes of a German child. It's fascinating to watch him gradually realise that he is one of the bad guys. And the ending...

Up - Good God, the first ten minutes of Up are perfect - it's one of the greatest sequences in all of cinema. Up also gets it the right way round compared to most sad films - I would much rather have a sad middle and a happy ending rather than the other way round. And that tune is beautiful.

Films I didn't find sad but everyone else does:

Toy Story 3 - If there's a sad scene in this film it's the one where it looks like the toys are going to die. That almost got me. But the one everyone else goes on about is the one at the end where Andy gives his toys away. You can interpret the scene in two ways: either Andy is playing up to the expectations of the little girl, or he's going through a really early midlife crisis. I'm sure they meant to imply the first one, but to me it just looks like he's having a breakdown.

Marley and Me - The premise of this film is a couple getting a dog. How did you think it was going to end?

Atonement - Again, like Toy Story 3 it should be sad but for me it's just butchered by the execution. At the end of the film, Robbie and Celia die (I know, spoilers, but, come on, it's not like you wouldn't be expecting it if you had seen the rest of the film). But instead of seeing them die, you see a scene with them and Briony. The next and final scene happens sixty years later, and an old Briony says "That last scene didn't happen. They died" and I'm just too confused to be upset.

Men of Honor. The whole movie is about making Men cry manly tears without any guilt whatsoever.

So go ahead, cry:

You know you want to ;_;

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)