Final Grades/GPA thread/School/University Discussion

B-B-B-C-C-C-D

Get your stones ready guys =/

I'm not going to blame my teachers saying they hate me or they can't teach. It was my fault. Breezing through all your classes without any studing whatsoever really takes an effect when teachers expect you to do shit. I thought this year would be like any other with me picking and choosing what homework to do and daydreaming during tests. Then I got a 0.6 on my progress report. I managed to "buckle down to salvage my grades as best I can, but barring classes with major tests/projects, the damage was done. Hopefully my test scores and previous grades can boost it up a bit to allow me to scrape into the Science and Technology at school.

Haha redirect those stones to me. I went in to a Canadian uni fresh out of highschool with an 88% avg. I just finished my second year with a 47.6% avg. (I can't even really say I "finished" as I have a failed year standing. Had to beg my assistant dean to re-enroll me, but under the conditions of Academic Probation). No idea what that translates to on a 4-point scale; for some reason, UBC doesn't use that system, which is annoying as I have no concept of what is high or low on a GPA.

pookar

Banned deucer.
finished my second semester 2 weeks ago and i might as well post here

first semester was 3.65 and i finished with a 3.43 for the year.. i got a C in calc 2 which was completely my fault and it shouldve at least have been a B- (A/A/B/B+ first semester, A/A/B/C second)

meh

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Haha redirect those stones to me. I went in to a Canadian uni fresh out of highschool with an 88% avg. I just finished my second year with a 47.6% avg. (I can't even really say I "finished" as I have a failed year standing. Had to beg my assistant dean to re-enroll me, but under the conditions of Academic Probation). No idea what that translates to on a 4-point scale; for some reason, UBC doesn't use that system, which is annoying as I have no concept of what is high or low on a GPA.
Well, SFU's system is:

A+ = 4.33
A = 4.00
A- = 3.66

B+ = 3.33
B = 3.00
B- = 2.66

C+ = 2.33
C = 2.00
C- = 1.66

D = 1

F = 0

So convert your letter grade into the number from above, multiply it by the amount of credits the course is worth, then add it all up and divide it by the total credits you've done to receive your GPA.

I'm currently sitting at 3.280 after 112 credits.

Heh, SFU has a calculate that tells you what you need to get the GPA you want before graduating... I need to hit 3.432 for the next two semesters for my arbitrary goal of a 3.33 (B+) average.

http://students.sfu.ca/advising/academic/resources/calculators/cal2.html

I'm guessing UBC's system should be the same or at least similar, in which case, ouch, I have a GPA of 0, for year 2 anyway. But including all my credits from first year I think I have have at least an average of ~52% (outstanding fees --> blocked Student Services Centre, hence the guess), so a GPA of 1 over all. Are failed courses including in calculating your average? If not I can probably get to ~60% = 1.66. Firestorm why are you aiming for at least 3.33? I don't plan to go to school after uni, so would my GPA be of any signifiance? Also just from mucking around with classmates, they've told me the grades you obtain in the last two years are more important than the first two, but if your GPA doesn't differentiate between the two pairs of years then I can't see how one'd be more important than the other.

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Just a goal I set for myself for no real reason. Some employers may look at your GPA, but nothing matters as much as what I put in my portfolio. GPA doesn't make a distinction between your years of school so the only way it would matter is

A) If the 3rd and 4th year courses are worth more credits
B) They mean that the chances of you listing your individual course + grade in your portfolio or something is higher

First two assignments back:

Federal Constitutional Law: 75. I'm happy with this, only now I have to wait for my marker to find time between being a solicitor to give me some actual feedback, because she just left ticks and no words on my assignment.

Admin Law: 80. This is so awesome; I thought I was going to get a pass, but I got a distinction and beat my friend, and he loves this course where I loathe it.

Hopefully I can keep this up for Clerkship applications in June-July. I would LOVE to get a place at Freehills, Mallesons Stephen Jacques, or Minter Ellison, but I don't know I have the marks. :(

The total coursework marks for my modules are finally all accounted for whoop

mathematical techniques and differential equations- 84%
quantum physics- 82%
atomic and nuclear physics- 80%
optics and electromagnetism- 88%
multiwavelength universe and exoplanets- 70%
spacecraft designs and operations- 76%

Coursework fills up roughly 30% of my overall grade, the rest being decided by end of year exams, which are pretty rough (I've already taken the maths and quantum exams though and those went OK). If I get like 70% or above in every subject I'll be over the moon

and thus concludes my second year of uni, excuse me while I drown myself in alcohol trying to comprehend the horrors year 3 will bring

I graduated from high school on Friday, May 29, 2010. My Valedictory address was well received by the visitors. I found it hard go get to my family because of all the people trying to talk to me.

I am kinda glad to be done with high school, but sad at the same time.

On to the next chapter in the book called life, college.

Reverb

World's nicest narcissist
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I graduated from high school on Friday, May 29, 2010. My Valedictory address was well received by the visitors. I found it hard go get to my family because of all the people trying to talk to me.

I am kinda glad to be done with high school, but sad at the same time.

On to the next chapter in the book called life, college.
where are you going?

I have a 3.5 and I probably should have 4 As but my teachers didn't put one the assignments in before the final grades due date.
Aware the OP is from a year ago, but shouldn't that be impossible, or at least possible to amend later? Isn't this the kind of thing that follows you the rest of your life if you live in the US? Being fucked over by a procrastinating teacher seems like the kind of thing you should be able to appeal about.

Eh we don't do like -'s and +'s but I do have my individual scores

Health - 96
Gifted Biology - 93
Wind Ensemble (FTW) - 100
Spanish II - 97
Gifted English - 97
Accelerated Math II - 93

I'm still holding on to my 4.0 GPA (unweighted, will be weighted next year)

Okay, so I've got all of my assessments back, and my final exams are up in just over a week.

My assessments are all weighted 40%, except for FedCon which is 30%. So far I have:
Administrative Law - 80 D
The Legal Profession - 75 D
Federal Constitutional Law - 75 D
Introduction to Property and Commercial Law - 60 P

I'm quite disappointed with Property given it's my favourite subject this semester, but I blame it in part on the poor structure of the course, and in part on my shocking multiple choice skills. In dealing with the 25-mark problem question, I got 16/25 which was towards the top of the group; but my multiple choice was 8/15 which was towards the bottom, the average was like 12/15.

That said, I expected to badly in Admin, and the fact I got 80 is a great blessing. So it evens out to some extent, although it's frustrating that even if I get 100% (lol, yeah right) on the Property exam, I'll miss out on a HD by one mark. I need to get 51/65 (HD raw) just to make it to a D, which is a big ask. To the study boat!

My final transcript reads:

AP Chemistry : A+

AP Biology : A+

AP Psychology : A- (lucky me, got bumped up. True story, I did my final project (a Psychological analysis of any movie) on Pokémon : The First Movie. Initially I was going to BS it, but put some effort into it making it an analysis of Mewtwo through Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs. Needless to say, after 10 minutes of hilarity and such, I was given a perfect score, and got bumped up. Hooray!)

Fantasy in Literature : A+

Physical Education : A+ (required in IL, and who doesn't get an A, seriously?)

Spanish V : A (good lord, dunno how this happened. I still can barely carry on in a Spanish conversation)

International Cuisine: A+ (had to get my fine arts requirement in. Ftw.)

Still, I'm freaked out concerning UoC. I predict that I'll be failing every single class.

Here's the thing about college: They curve the everloving shit out of exams. This quarter alone I'm pulling a B+ after getting a D and D+ on my first two exams, and those two exams make up the entirety of my grade atm.

Here's the thing about college: They curve the everloving shit out of exams. This quarter alone I'm pulling a B+ after getting a D and D+ on my first two exams, and those two exams make up the entirety of my grade atm.
It's just like AP exams for Psychology and Chemistry. I think they curve them so substantially for the kids in Texas to feel good.

Haha this forum makes me feel so dumb!

AP Economics: I think I'm going to end the year with a C.

Pre-Calculus: If I pull my fourth marking period grade to an A I might have a final average of a C.

Academic English IV: I think I'm going to finish with a C average.

Lab Chemistry: I think I'm going to either fail or end with a D average.

AP Psychology: I think I'm going to end with a B average.

Art I: I think I'm going to end with a B average.

So to recap

AP economics: C

Pre-Calculus: C

Academic English IV: C

Lab Chemistry: D

Physical Education/Health: B

AP Psychology: B

Art I: B

In my defense, I'm a senior and my grades don't really mean shit this year.

hmmm...Without my finals:
AP Physics C Mechanics: A (97%)
AP US History: A (93%)
AP Chemistry: C (79.4% without labs or homework graded yet, so I'll have a 87-88% by the end. Also, a 3 or higher on the AP test will get me an A)
AP Calculus BC: A (90%)
TA: A+++++++++++++++++ (1000000000000000%)
Health: A (102%)
Strength and Conditioning: A (?%)

I also got my SAT and ACT scores back: 2080 SAT, 31 ACT. I know I can do better, but that's for the fall.

I'm on medical leave from University due to severe depression, unfortunately. My grades dipped considerably the semester before this one, due to romantic issues that I simply wasn't able to resolve. My grades that Term where A, two B's, and two C's :(

Really sucks, since I had prior aspirations to get a Ph.D in Mathematics.

I will hopefully be heading back to Cambridge in the Fall to straighten things out.

I'm on medical leave from University due to severe depression, unfortunately. My grades dipped considerably the semester before this one, due to romantic issues that I simply wasn't able to resolve. My grades that Term where A, two B's, and two C's :(

Really sucks, since I had prior aspirations to get a Ph.D in Mathematics.

I will hopefully be heading back to Cambridge in the Fall to straighten things out.
Good luck mate. I hope you get better and are able to achieve your aspirations.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)