1. Remember to check the Simple Questions/Simple Answers , Suggestions , Bug Reports and Technical Support threads before posting. If you have something that warrants extended discussion then post a thread, but when in doubt, please use an already existing thread
  2. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  3. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Framerate/lag issues?

Discussion in 'Pokémon Showdown!' started by Frozen Darkness, Jul 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zarel

Zarel Not a Yuyuko fan
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Battle Server Administratoris a Programmeris a Pokemon Researcheris an Administrator
    Creator of PS

The lag is actually quite bearable for me, so I'm guessing it's client lag.

Client lag is... difficult for me to fix. :(

For those of you experiencing severe lag issues: What sort of lag issues? Is it while clicking stuff? Does the whole interface freeze up? Or is it just in terms of the time between when you type something and when it shows up on-screen?
  2. blarajan

blarajan i was born under the same star as shakeitup
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus
    Little Cup Leader

I've been using Firefox and have absolutely 0 lag on server, if that means anything at all. My laptop is like 7 years old.
  3. Hikari

Hikari
    is a Past SPL Winner

I've been using FF, my laptop is less than 2 years old and it took me around 2 min to pick one move in a random battle.

Nothing else is lagging just ps, so it isn't my internet. I'm not a fan of this sim but I need it to play a tour and right now it is pretty much unusable for me.
  4. kd24

kd24 yo daddy musta been a drug dealer? why, cuz you're dope
    is a Pokemon Researcheris a Site Staff Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

it started a few days ago but the lag for me on PS! now is really reallllllly bad. as in i cant even stay online sometimes before getting a message that PS is unresponsive and to kill the page. im not sure what the problem is, everything else on my comp works at a great speed so I doubt the problem lies there.

im on google chrome and the basic gist of it is: clicking something takes around 12 seconds to actually respond (for example, say i want to find a battle, clicking the dropdown for the tier takes 12 secs, then picking the team i want to use is another 12-15, then it will say: Your turn, Make a Move! (or w/e) but nothing will be on my screen for a good 10 seconds.

the only thing that works at a decent speed is the team builder. clicking peoples matches to watch is also a pain because it lags when i click, usually meaning the match i wanted to watch is a dif location than where my mouse clicked after it finally registers.
  5. Ninetale3

Ninetale3

I have been getting lag on ps as well. I have been using chrome for it. The lobby is very painful for me to use just to get to the format I want and pick a team to use for it assuming the page doesn't die on me. Team builder is another pain for me to use however I can navigate the builder just fine since the lag isn't as bad as the lobby's.

I don't have as much problems with the battles themselves but the lag I get on it makes the fight an eyesore just to watch. It is also bad that I got disconnected from the server because of the lag I had to forfeit since the lag also glitched the battle and made it impossible to continue.
  6. Flashstorm1

Flashstorm1
    is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus

From my experience, the whole interface lags whenever I connect to the site. The chat box only updates in approximately 30 second intervals. When I hover over a button, it will take at least 20 seconds for it to be highlighted, and even if I click on it then, it takes a while for the client to respond.

Though I'm probably wrong in assuming this, if you are hosting the server on your own computer, then wouldn't it be obvious that you wouldn't lag on your client assuming it was running on said computer as well?

Anyway, in short, I think the issue lies with the coding moreso than peoples' connection speeds. Like others have said above, Pokemon Showdown is the only site that I consistently lag on.
  7. Pocket

Pocket Apo, the astronaut's best friend >:3
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
    Doubles Co-Lead

There were like 500+ users and the lag was terrible, but there's only 100+ users now everything is fine.
  8. verbatim

verbatim Red like Roses
    is a Battle Server Administratoris a Smogon IRC AOPis a Forum Moderator

The main proponent to most of the lag experienced on PS (socket.io) has just been replaced (with sockJS) and much of the lag is expected to go away.
  9. Espo

Espo

This. When there is about 500+ I get dced or freeze alot but when there is like 400- everything is fine
  10. Relados

Relados
    is a Battle Server Moderator

I only lag when the server itself is having problems (that is, the mods themselves say that the server is currently laggy and such), even when there's close to 800 users. I think most people's lag problems are due to old computers, bad connections or multiple processes (I could be way wrong though, it just seems that way to me).

I'm using Chrome, if anyone's interested.
  11. ShortsTheory

ShortsTheory

Basically confirming what others said; using Firefox 13.01 on Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin with no lag whatsoever (before the attack!). Framerates look as good as cart animations, so no complaints.

But, is there any mobile device in the world that can smoothly run "PS!"? Is there any development for pokemonshowdown.mobile?
  12. Espo

Espo

iPhone's runs PS! Smoothly from my experience.
  13. Antar

Antar That's Dr. Antar to you
    is a Battle Server Administratoris a Programmeris a Super Moderatoris a Community Contributor
    Official Data Miner

Locking this thread until lag is no longer a system-wide issue (we're trying to optimize for the new server. Stay tuned).
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)