GAMEFAQs Pick-up Tournament Finals Warstory

I made the finals of a pick-up 8 man GameFAQs tournament and the battle went down to the wire, literally.

My Team(Ness):

Opponent's (Gimpy) Team:

Forretress vs. Drapion

I lead with Forretress, he leads with Drapion. I wasn't threatened by him, so I decided to Spike away until he brought in something that could do anything to me.

Drapion used Earthquake! (~20%)
Forretress used Spikes!
Drapion used Toxic Spikes!
Forretress used Spikes!

I decided to take advantage of his Toxic Spikes with my Guts Heracross and Marvel Scale Milotic. Why not? Hopefully it wouldn't come back to haunt me.

Ness withdrew Forretress! Go! Heracross!
Heracross became poisoned!
Drapion used Toxic Spikes!

I didn't want a 2nd layer of Toxic Spikes to come down, but oh well. For some reason, Rapid Spinning them away with Forretress never came across my mind the entire battle. That could have made me lose. But I decided to take advantage of the Guts here.

Gimpy withdrew Drapion!
Gimpy sent out Dusknoir!
Heracross used Megahorn! ~50% damage
Dusknoir restored HP with Leftovers.

Dusknoir, not cool. Being poisoned, I was going to save Heracross for later. I felt Honchkrow could come in, knowing the worst that could happen would be a Ghost Move that didn't do much.

Ness withdrew Heracross!
Ness sent out Honchkrow!
Dusknoir used Substitute!
Honchkrow used Night Slash! Dusknoir's Substitute Faded! Dusknoir ~15% health
Dusknoir used Focus Punch! ~75% damage

Ok, it was my Honchkrow at 25% health vs. his Dusknoir with 40% health. What to do? I decided to try my luck at Night Slash, because he was going to switch or try to attack me anyway and die.

Dusknoir used Shadow Sneak!
Honchkrow fainted!

I didn't expect that at all, but such as life. I had to regroup and move on.

Score: Gimpy 6, Ness 5

Dusknoir recovered with Leftovers.
Ness sent out Magnezone!
Gimpy withdrew Dusknoir! Gimpy sent out Blissey!
Blissey is hurt by Spikes!

I decided to send out Magnezone and Thunder Wave whatever came in on the switch knowing a switch was coming. Unfortunatley, it was Blissey.

Magnezone used Thunder Wave!
Blissey was Paralyzed!

I was in a rut. I had 2 Pokemon who could hit Blissey, Forretress and Heracross. I didn't want to bring in Heracross because he was poisoned and I wanted to get others out of the way first. I decided to slow play it.

Magnezone used Reflect!
Blissey is Paralyzed! It can't move!

I got what I wanted. I knew he would likely leave Blissey in against Magenzone until I switched, so I got what I wanted.

Ness withdrew Magnezone! Ness sent out Forretress!
Blissey is Paralyzed! It can't move!

I got a bit lucky. I could either do one of 3 things: Gyro Ball, Spikes, or Explode. Knowing his Dusknoir was still in play, I wasn't going to explode. I decided to try my luck with Gyro Ball.

Gimpy withdrew Blissey! Gimpy sent out Infernape!
Forretress used Gyro Ball! It's not very effective.... ~75% damage
Ness withdrew Forretress! Ness sent out Milotic! Milotic was badly poisoned!
Infernape used Flamethrower! ~10% damage

I got my Marvel Scale activated. What was he going to do? Leave Infernape in, or try his luck at something else? I expected a Switch.

Gimpy withdrew Milotic. Gimpy sent out Gyarados!
Milotic used Toxic! Milotic's attack Missed!

Rats. I was in another hole. Let his Gyarados set up on me, or what? Time to bring in Forretress.

Ness withdrew Milotic! Ness sent out Forretress!
Gyarados used Taunt! Forretress fell for the Taunt!

Exactly what I wanted.

Gyarados used Dragon Dance!
Forretress used Explosion!
Gyarados fainted!

I exploded on it, which was logical. The only problem is that Blissey was still out there, and I only had poisoned Heracross to deal with it. That means I had to creatively find a way to lure Blissey out and get rid of it.

Score: Gimpy 5, Ness 4

Ness sent out Yanmega!
Gimpy sent out Infernape!
Yanmega used Protect!
Infernape used Flamethrower! Yanmega Protected itself!
Yanmega's Speed Boost raised its Speed!

I honestly expected a switch to Blissey here. For some reason, he didn't, and I took advantage. Part of being good at Pokemon is exploiting your opponent's mistakes.

Yanmega used Substitute!
Infernape used Flamethrower! Yanmega's Substitute Faded!
Yanmega used Air Slash! Infernape fainted!
Yanmega took Life Orb Damage. Yanmega ~60% health

Score: Gimpy 4, Ness 4

But he insisted on leaving Blissey out of the picture.

Gimpy sent out Dragonite!

I decided to go on a death spree with Yanmega. Fight to the death!

Yanmega used Air Slash! ~60% damage
Yanmega took Life Orb Damage. Yanmega at ~45% heatlh
Dragonite used Surf! Yanmega fainted!

Score: Gimpy 4, Ness 3

Ok, a Surf Dragonite? Not what I had in mind. I was going to try and lure Blissey out and set myself up for the win.

Ness sent out Milotic!

I knew he was going to switch to Blissey, this was a no brainer.

Gimpy withdrew Dragonite! Gimpy sent out Blissey!
Ness used Toxic! Blissey was badly poisoned!

I got what I wanted, and really hoped for that Blissey to switch out or use Aromatherapy. But time was running out for me, and it was now or never for Heracross. I knew I wasn't going to be attacked, so I went for it, but got me some insurance first.

Ness withdrew Milotic! Ness sent out Magnezone!
Blissey used Aromatherapy!
Magnezone used Reflect!
Blissey used Seismic Toss!
Magnezone used Thunder Wave!

This was it. A switch or Aromatherapy was coming. Either way, I could now send in Heracross for a do or die suicide mission. I had a Reflect up for some insurance, just in case.

Ness withdrew Magnezone! Ness sent out Heracross!
Blissey used Aromatherapy!
Heracross Health: ~50%

Ok, since my Heracross has the Scarf, it was Megahorn from here on out. No holding back.

Gimpy withdrew Blissey! Gimpy sent out Dusknoir! ~50%
Heracross used Megahorn! ~48% damage

Damn, almost. Heracross was on the clock being poisoned. No holding back now. I have to take out his 4 remaining Pokemon with Heracross and Guts-Boosted Megahorn alone. I knew Shadow Sneak was coming, and the only question was whether or not Heracross would be able to make it 4 turns. I knew he had what it took to OHKO his remaining Pokemon, but would he survive and not miss??

Dusknoir used Shadow Sneak! ~10% damage
Heracross used Megahorn! Dusknoir fainted!

Score: Gimpy 3, Ness 3

Ok, my Heracross now had to make 3 OHKO's in 3 turns, and Heracross was at about 30% health here. Do or die. Miss and I am through. I knew Blissey was coming last, so if anything went wrong I would be done since Milotic nor Magnezone would be able to handle Blissey.

Gimpy sent out Dragonite! ~40% health
Heracross used Megahorn! Dragonite Fainted!
Gimpy sent out Drapion! Drapion is hurt by Spikes!
Heracross is hurt by Poison! ~10% health
Heracross used Megahorn! Drapion fainted!
Gimpy sent out Blissey! Blissey is hurt by Spikes!
Heracross is hurt by Poison! Heracross has exactly 8 HP left.

Score: Ness 3, Gimpy 1

My Heracross had 8 HP left. I had to hit and OHKO Blissey at ~88%. That simple.

Heracross used Megahorn! Blissey fainted!

Ness wins, 3-0

Crazy battle, hmm?

Applause, that was a great move "storing" your Heracross, it definitely paid off. Congratulations on winning (and finally beating the crap out of Blissey)!

It was an ok battle but not very interesting to read despite your usage of non-OU pokemon. The way you wrote it up was your downfall

I don't understand why you kept using reflect. Ok battle. But next time, you should say more then just what happened. Maybe add some jokes and suspense to make the reader continue reading.

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Wondering if you knew the second time you switch into Toxic Spikes makes it "Toxic" poison? Risky move not spinning it away after boosting your Pokemon but paid off =)

ΩDonut

don't glaze me bro
is a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Wondering if you knew the second time you switch into Toxic Spikes makes it "Toxic" poison? Risky move not spinning it away after boosting your Pokemon but paid off =)
It's not switching in a second time that does it, it's the second layer of Toxic Spikes that does the Toxic poison. And if you've already been regular poisoned, switching in on two-layer Toxic Spikes doesn't give you Toxic poison.

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
It's not switching in a second time that does it, it's the second layer of Toxic Spikes that does the Toxic poison. And if you've already been regular poisoned, switching in on two-layer Toxic Spikes doesn't give you Toxic poison.
Ohhhh =o I actually think someone told me before but I forgot or misunderstood. I should keep that in mind.

It was cool, but I can't believe you didn't think about Spinning away the spikes, lol. Anyways, you're lucky Megahorn hit 4 times in a row. I don't think I've ever done that.

I love how the two members of your team affected by Toxic Spikes also benefit from it somewhat due to their abilities (well, Milotic not so much, but whatever).

Great Warstory, it was fun to see yanmega in action.
Very well wrote, i thnk i could feel your stress at the end when you hope that megahorn will hit.

Congrats :D

why do you have sub AND protect on LO yanmega? getting rid of one of those for a hidden power (elec or ice) or giga drain would be alot better.

Leading with Forretress... you have guts.
Well considering most leads are physical and the only one that has a SE move against forry is Infernape (Close Combat/Brick Break/Aerial Ace/Earthquake/Stone Edge are all common but neutral to forry), which is less common than Weavile, Breloom and others, leading with Forretress is actually a very good idea. He can setup 1-2 layers of spikes and then Explode in the face of a problematic foe when needed, which is exactly what he did, and it did pay off.

That was pretty good. I liked your style and what you used (Yanmega and Forretress especially) and you were a great predictor. But why did you need Heracross to defeat his last 3? I mean, it would be preferable, but you could have done the job with Milotic or Magnezone.

Only regrets that Honchkrow was not used to the fullest of his potential.

What do you have on it beside night slash ?

That was pretty good. I liked your style and what you used (Yanmega and Forretress especially) and you were a great predictor. But why did you need Heracross to defeat his last 3? I mean, it would be preferable, but you could have done the job with Milotic or Magnezone.
I'd like to see you take a Blissey away with a Milotic and/or a Magnezone. Should be entertaining, good I have popcorn.

Great warstory, to-the-point but also suspenseful. I personally don't miss cheesy, forced jokes for "humor." To be honest one of the best written war stories I've read, it focused on the battle and not on STDs.

aamto

on whom the three Fates smile
Only regrets that Honchkrow was not used to the fullest of his potential.

What do you have on it beside night slash ?
Yes, Honchkrow's set intrigues me -- you probably had Sucker Punch on him...why not use it? Wouldn't it have taken priority over Shadow Sneak? Unless you were Choice'd...

I made a team about a week ago that lead with Forretress as well.

Congrats on the win, and I enjoyed the warstory.

Great warstory, to-the-point but also suspenseful. I personally don't miss cheesy, forced jokes for "humor." To be honest one of the best written war stories I've read, it focused on the battle and not on STDs.
I agree. I much prefer this style of writing. Course, I guess it is just a difference in writing styles. Nice battle.

STDs is like the prime essence of warstory humour now. XD Well, I liked the pokes and the movesets, but without humour in it, I'd rather read a book or something. Still a good battle, and I can see how others'd like it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)