Gen-NEXT development thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if Insomnia/Vital Spirit as Cresselia's levitate stand-in thing would be interesting; a sleep immunity would certainly fit her theme as Darkrai's counterpart, and wouldn't lack utility at all. I suspect if this actually happened she'd be more likely to get a signature ability but either of those would work just as well.

(I also ponder if Darkrai should have levitate but ehhhhhhhhhhhhh)

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
It's hard to think of any balance changes for a metagame I haven't played in, but I have another suggestion, concerning Zoroark. It's pretty shitty of me to ask for more changes after seeing it receives a ton of buffs, but there are 2 things i'd like for specifically for Zoroark.

1. Increasing the BP of Night Daze from 85 == > 95. My biggest issue with Dark types like Zoroark and Weavile is their low base power moves. Dark type moves typically cap out at 80 BP, which seriously limits their ability to do damage. Need an example? A Dark Pulse from a Zoroark can't even 2HKO a 0HP Garchomp without a boosting item. At 95 BP, you're guaranteed to do this after SR damage (ie, OHKO at +2). A stronger Night Daze also let's Zoroark actually OHKO most dark weak Poemon specifically bulky Mew, Deoxys-D, Reuniclus, etc, while its current form of Dark Pulse / Night Daze either barely pulls it off (you need to run Choice Specs + Night Daze to even have a chance of OHKOing 0hp Deoxys-D) or just fails period.

2. Aura Sphere included in its learnset. Focus Blast is a decent coverage move, but the awful accuracy really screws Zoroark over if it misses, since it goes down if it takes a hit. Aura Sphere is a cool alternative and Pokemon like Mew & Togekiss have shown us that Aura Sphere's lowered BP offsets that perfect accuracy (It baffles that this move is semi-exclusive, seriously GF wtf). I feel like these are the biggest changes that Zoroark needs right now.

In fact, I wouldn't mind seeing Aura Sphere handed out to several Pokemon who rely on Focus Blast as a coverage move.

EDIT: One of the only reasons to use Haxorus over other Dragons is Mold Breaker EQ is Haxorus, don't take that away :(

I'm absolutely in love with the concept of this mod. You've managed to fix some major aspects of standard play while keeping flavor and base stats intact, which is an impressive feat as far as metagame mods go. I'd be more than interested in playing this if it were to become an officially-supported "tier" similar to Hackmons and friends, which it should because it is 99% better and more diverse than BW OU will ever be.

YAY:

• UNOWN BUFF
  • Intrinsic abilities
  • SIGNATURE MOVES
  • Galvantula buff
  • Slow Start/Truant buffs
  • Charge/Recharge moves buff (Sky Attack Sniper Fearow looks great on paper)
  • King Shuckle buff, Leech Seed specifically
  • Clear Body buff
  • Sketch Ambipom
  • Echoed Voice
  • Stealth Rock nerf
NAY:

• GossamerWing/Quiver Dance nerf (GWing Seems too specific of an item, and I would have just sent Volcarona straight to Ubers)
  • Life Orb nerf
Regardless, the amount of effort put into this is evident, and I commend you for creating the one metagame mod that puts flavor first above everything.

Zarel

Not a Yuyuko fan
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Pokemon Researcheris an Administrator
Creator of PS
1. Increasing the BP of Night Daze from 85 == > 95. My biggest issue with Dark types like Zoroark and Weavile is their low base power moves. Dark type moves typically cap out at 80 BP, which seriously limits their ability to do damage. Need an example? A Dark Pulse from a Zoroark can't even 2HKO a 0HP Garchomp without a boosting item. At 95 BP, you're guaranteed to do this after SR damage (ie, OHKO at +2). A stronger Night Daze also let's Zoroark actually OHKO most dark weak Poemon specifically bulky Mew, Deoxys-D, Reuniclus, etc, while its current form of Dark Pulse / Night Daze either barely pulls it off (you need to run Choice Specs + Night Daze to even have a chance of OHKOing 0hp Deoxys-D) or just fails period.
I'm considering buffing Faint Attack to 90 (it's currently 80). However, for Zoroark I don't think it needs any more buffs. Night Daze at 85 is already more than 80, and Night Daze has two relatively strong other effects in addition to damage. You said "without a boosting item" - so I'm guessing +2 LO is enough to OHKO Chomp? SR does twice as much damage to Chomp in NEXT, too.

2. Aura Sphere included in its learnset. Focus Blast is a decent coverage move, but the awful accuracy really screws Zoroark over if it misses, since it goes down if it takes a hit. Aura Sphere is a cool alternative and Pokemon like Mew & Togekiss have shown us that Aura Sphere's lowered BP offsets that perfect accuracy (It baffles that this move is semi-exclusive, seriously GF wtf). I feel like these are the biggest changes that Zoroark needs right now.

In fact, I wouldn't mind seeing Aura Sphere handed out to several Pokemon who rely on Focus Blast as a coverage move.
I really don't want to buff Special Fighting any more than it currently is - I'm considering nerfing Special Fighting, actually. Gen 3 had a lot of guarantees that certain types were always physical or always special, and while I can't bring that back completely, I do want to give some types a bias towards physical or a bias towards special.

EDIT: One of the only reasons to use Haxorus over other Dragons is Mold Breaker EQ is Haxorus, don't take that away :(
Okay, new plan: Mold Breaker affects abilities, intrinsics, and items: y/n

• GossamerWing/Quiver Dance nerf (GWing Seems too specific of an item, and I would have just sent Volcarona straight to Ubers)
  • Life Orb nerf
Regardless, the amount of effort put into this is evident, and I commend you for creating the one metagame mod that puts flavor first above everything.
I really don't want any mon with less than 600 BST in Ubers (actually the same thing DuskMod is doing). There's a lot of precedent for items affecting specific Pokemon, so I thought it'd be a good way to deal with that.

I'm confused by what you mean by "Life Orb nerf", though. Life Orb was never nerfed as a net effect, although a single Life Orb buff (to its interaction with Sheer Force) was removed because it was overpowered on Landorus. LO is still buffed when used with Reckless or Rock Head.

I'm confused by what you mean by "Life Orb nerf", though. Life Orb was never nerfed as a net effect, although a single Life Orb buff (to its interaction with Sheer Force) was removed because it was overpowered on Landorus. LO is still buffed when used with Reckless or Rock Head.
Oh, I was referring to the fact that Life Orb had been set to behave as normal recoil (As in taking 1/3 of damage dealt as recoil damage), although I think I misinterpreted this as it seems as thought it's still just standard LO recoil.

Anyway I'm going to attempt to build a team for this (and it will definitely include Unown)

EDIT: In light of Zarel's post, I'd like to make some suggestions specifically regarding some of the less useful abilities from standard BW:

• Illuminate: Upon switch-in, the opponent's SpAtk is decreased by 1 stage.
    • Lanturn becomes an elite Special tank, and Starmie will find it easier to switch into many neutral-hitting special attackers.
  • Plus: If a Pokemon with Plus is on the same team as a (non-KOed) Pokemon with Minus, its SpAtk and Atk are both increased by 1 stage upon switch-in.
    • Ampharos gains a dangerously high SpAtk upon entering, while Klinklang can abuse his powerful Gear Grinds right off the bat.
  • Minus: If a Pokemon with Minus is on the same team as a (non-KOed) Pokemon with Plus, its Def and SpDef are both increased by 1 stage upon switch-in.
    • Manectric is no longer mangled by priority on her choice sets, while Klinklang appreciates having an easier time setting up.
  • Keen Eye: Increases accuracy of all moves by 1.5, in addition to its regular effect.
    • Noctowl (and a variety of other, less useful, NU mons) can abuse a 90% accurate Hypnosis to cripple would-be checks.
  • Big Pecks: Resisted hits are x0.25 instead of x0.5 in addition to its regular effect.
    • Would help Mandibuzz greatly in its walling endeavors, putting Ghost and Grass-type attackers such as Gengar and Serperior in their place.
  • Unnerve: Prevents the foe from activating any consumable item.
    • Focus Sash users are no longer safe from Aerodactyl and Tyranitar: it would be a very niche option, as most existing recipients prefer another ability, but it would be useful nonetheless.
  • Heavy Metal: Damage dealt by Steel-type attacks is multiplied by 1.5, but their priority is decreased by 1.
    • Bronzong's unboosted Gyro Ball will take huge chunks out of fast, frail sweepers.
  • Light Metal: Steel-type attacks have their priority increased by 1, but damage dealt by them is x0.50.
    • Metagross gets priority Meteor Mash. Scizor gets priority Iron Head. That is all.
  • Infiltrator: Unaffected by entry hazards, in addition to its regular effect.
    • Crobat is no longer crippled by Stealth Rocks, and Seviper can switch in multiple times throughout the match to continue wallbreaking.
  • Rivalry: Damage isn't decreased by opponents of the opposite gender.

• "Doctor, we did all we could... He's hopeless"

Zarel

Not a Yuyuko fan
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Pokemon Researcheris an Administrator
Creator of PS
Oh, I was referring to the fact that Life Orb had been set to behave as normal recoil (As in taking 1/3 of damage dealt as recoil damage), although I think I misinterpreted this as it seems as thought it's still just standard LO recoil.

Anyway I'm going to attempt to build a team for this (and it will definitely include Unown)
Oh, no, the only difference is that it's negated by Rock Head and boosted by Reckless now.

Can you explain to what extent you're willing to accept suggestions?
That's a good question. I've sort of just been ignoring certain suggestions so far.

People suggesting things for NEXT tend to ignore the founding principles of NEXT. In particular: flavor first. I've introduced two new major mechanics (Signature Pokemon and Intrinsics) which represent normal new mechanics that are introduced between generations, but most other changes have been comparatively conservative as is realistic for a new gen.

Particularly: I'm not willing to extend perfect accuracy any further than it's already been extended (which is a bit much). And for accuracy buffs in general, I'm not going to make every move 100% - there's a reason Nintendo doesn't do that.

I'm also not willing to extend Signature Pokemon to effects other than the 1.5x damage buff. 1.5x damage is supposed to be "pseudo-STAB", and is a fairly common and straightforward buff. Other buffs that have been suggested, like "1.5x the boosts, rounded up" just don't have very much precedent and are unnecessarily complex so they're not very Game-Freak-like.

Other suggestions so far have mostly been good.

I thought buffing Withdraw was a nice idea so it's +Def +SpD now. I've also implemented Ice Body Cryogonal, and Prankster Carnivine sounds good to me. Some sort of Sleep-related ability sounds good for Cresselia. Other suggestions I haven't really been thinking about.

When you say this metagame is unfinished, what does that mean? Do you have some mental checklist?
I want to know what suggestions are needed for this to be a fully fledged metagame, and I'll do anything I can to help.

Sorry that this is a short post but why exactly was Drain Punch changed to a Poison-type move? More Fighting-types learn it than Poison-types, Fighiting is better offensively, and from an objective point of view they haven't changed a move's typing ever since Gen I, so it risks the factor of being rather unlikely, too.

Zarel

Not a Yuyuko fan
Creator of PS
When you say this metagame is unfinished, what does that mean? Do you have some mental checklist?
I want to know what suggestions are needed for this to be a fully fledged metagame, and I'll do anything I can to help.
In terms of explicitly unfinished, there are a lot of Levitating Pokemon that haven't been given replacement abilities.

But in general, it means that I anticipate many other changes: NEXT is not currently finalized.

And yes, any ideas for changes would be appreciated.

Sorry that this is a short post but why exactly was Drain Punch changed to a Poison-type move? More Fighting-types learn it than Poison-types, Fighiting is better offensively, and from an objective point of view they haven't changed a move's typing ever since Gen I, so it risks the factor of being rather unlikely, too.
It's mostly because Fighting already gets a lot of useful moves, and because from a flavor perspective draining makes no sense on the Fighting type.

From a flavor perspective, these are the types I'd most expect to get draining moves:

Bug, Ghost, Grass, Poison, Dark, maybe Psychic...

Fighting is one of the last types I'd ever expect with a draining move.

On the other hand, I've heard a lot of complaints about that change, and it's one Game Freak would probably never make, so I'll change it back.

I really love this meta, but I have to agree with Pocket about Sheer Force - it's simply too good of an ability right now, especially on Landorus.

Snow Cloak's new mechanics make no sense to me. If the point is to buff hail, why make the ability work outside hail?

Also, giving Serperior signature leaf storm will NOT help it - it will remain bad because it is still walled by anything that resists grass. If you want to buff Serp, I suggest giving it a way to beat it's common counters without resorting to it's pitifully weak hidden power and dragon pulse.

As a final note, here are a few of my ideas:
- Masquerain: Make Surf it's signature move.
- Mothim: Add Dark Pulse to it's learnset as it's signature move
- Butterfree: Make Psychic it's signature move.
- Beautifly: Make Air Slash it's signature move.
- Dustox: Add Tail Glow to it's learnset. Make Sludge Bomb it's signature move.
- Give Chandelure, Dustox, and Venomoth intrinsic levitation.
- Make Smack Down deal 1.5x damage if the opponent is switching in.
- Cinccino: Add Icicle Spear to it's learnset.
- Triple Kick: Have it's base power go from 15 to 30 to 45 (resulting in a base power of 135 after Technician, assuming none of the hits miss)
- Golurk: Make Shadow Punch or Dynamicpunch it's signature move

It's actually not too bad as it gets Contrary and can blast away with Leaf Storm.

My only suggestion is to make everyone's favourite pokemon viable by changing its typing to Dragon/Fire with an inherent Levitate ability(sort of like how Flygon is a winged Dragon/X with Levitate)

I'm talking Zard of course. Makes sense flavor wise since

A: It's in a breeding family with pretty much all other Dragons.

B: It gets a ton of Dragon type egg moves.

C: Lance uses it as a Dragon, and in Pokemon Ranger it's a representation of the Dragon of Fire.

D: It's physiology is pretty much A dragon.

Oh and all Dragon types get Draco Meteor so don't forget that.

It's noteworthy that this particular change makes Zard from an almost completely useless mon to a top tier OU threat...

Seconding all of Deck Knight's Levitate fill-ins bar Cresselia and Rotom-S.
Cresselia should have Vital Spirit and Rotom-S should have Unburden.

Also, Doom Desire's type was changed from Psychic to Steel, so a drain punch type change has precedent.

It's actually not too bad as it gets Contrary and can blast away with Leaf Storm.

My only suggestion is to make everyone's favourite pokemon viable by changing its typing to Dragon/Fire with an inherent Levitate ability(sort of like how Flygon is a winged Dragon/X with Levitate)

I'm talking Zard of course. Makes sense flavor wise since

A: It's in a breeding family with pretty much all other Dragons.

B: It gets a ton of Dragon type egg moves.

C: Lance uses it as a Dragon, and in Pokemon Ranger it's a representation of the Dragon of Fire.

D: It's physiology is pretty much A dragon.

Oh and all Dragon types get Draco Meteor so don't forget that.

It's noteworthy that this particular change makes Zard from an almost completely useless mon to a top tier OU threat...
I'd argue that this is a change Game Freak would be unlikely to make. Charizard is no longer relevant in the main series games due to his status as a 1st Gen starter, and the fact the he has only been officially obtainable through trading and events doesn't help his case: it's not likely that GF would pay *that* much attention to him. So, although it makes sense flavor-wise, it probably would never happen in reality.

Before the inevitable Magnemite is brought up in rebuttal, it's worth noting that Magnemite was actually easily available in the generation his typing was retconned (Not to mention that Steel was a new typing in GSC).

I'm sorry if I'm making too many posts, but I have some more substantial ideas.
As of now, most playstyles have been boosted to equality, but a few niche moves still need boosts: in particular Wonder Room and Gravity. Here are my propsed changes:

Make Wonder Room +1 priority, lasts 8 turns, 16 with Light Clay
Make Gravity boost accuracy by 60% and give Psychic-types 1.1* special attack
Make Focus Punch charge at +1 priority, hit at -1.
Make Safeguard last 8 turns, 16 with Light Clay
Make Soak last 5 turns, whether or not the victim switches, 8 actions with Mystic Water.
Speaking of Mystic Water, I think the set of type-boosting items should be buffed to 1.3*.

I'd argue that this is a change Game Freak would be unlikely to make. Charizard is no longer relevant in the main series games due to his status as a 1st Gen starter, and the fact the he has only been officially obtainable through trading and events doesn't help his case: it's not likely that GF would pay *that* much attention to him. So, although it makes sense flavor-wise, it probably would never happen in reality.

Before the inevitable Magnemite is brought up in rebuttal, it's worth noting that Magnemite was actually easily available in the generation his typing was retconned (Not to mention that Steel was a new typing in GSC).
This isn't an argument.

Gamefreak wouldn't make 90 percent of these changes.

At all.

And I'd wait with completely baited breath if you think Gamefreak is going to balance the weather mechanics or introduce the "Strange Orb" any time soon.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Eh I guess I shouldn't be complaining all that much since Zoroark now gets Superpower, which is probably one of the single best move it could ask for (no more having to use Focus Blast, YES!)

Okay, new plan: Mold Breaker affects abilities, intrinsics, and items: y/n
yes please

This isn't an argument.

Gamefreak wouldn't make 90 percent of these changes.

At all.

And I'd wait with completely baited breath if you think Gamefreak is going to balance the weather mechanics or introduce the "Strange Orb" any time soon.
What's even less of an argument is your stating that Game Freak wouldn't make a majority of these changes, without even providing evidence that would lead you to think that. GenNEXT's rules mention that changes are made based on what GF could PLAUSIBLY do to the game's mechanics; changing the typing of random Pokemon X without any flavor-related reason other than "hmm looks like dragon" does seem plausible on paper, but extremely unlikely at this stage of the game. Then again, "strong justification" could fall under this category due to the abundance of Dragon-type moves in Charizard's moveset, but that's up to Zarel.

Your logic is also flawed given the two examples you've provided. Game Freak has definitely balanced weather in the past: a good example would be Sandstorm. Sandstorm, in addition to gaining a duration-increasing item like the other weathers, was allotted an additional benefit through the buffing of a Rock-type's SpDef while active. If you still think that the inclusion of additional dedicated weather setters (which already existed in vanilla BW), and the buffing of certain moves in Hail is a stretch compared the the significant weather balancing in Gen 4 then I don't know what to say to you.

And Strange Orb is a completely plausible concept as well, as an item with a similar effect already exists by the name of Thick Club, which was used to buff Marowak in Gen 2. The same can be done for Unown.

Yawn.

That isn't balancing, that's simply adding things to a metagame, learn what balancing is.

Secondly, gen 2 is also the last time they changed a pokemon's typing. And you are literally a hilarious person if you think that Gamefreak is going to introduce an pokemon specific item for a gimmick pokemon that's gone completely ignored for the last decade.

Thirdly, Zarel has already changed a pokemon's typing because he simply wanted to, quite obviously, the whole Drive system isn't something Gamefreak would do with Genesect.

Be more pedantic please.

Quick question to Zarel, is the effect of Gluttony which allows a berry to be used twice in ADDITION to the 50 percent usage?

Upon Theorymonning some more about Unown, it seems as thought it could work perfectly on a passive weather team. Its high speed paired with its Rain or Sun-boosted STABs coming from 534 SpAtk (assuming Modest) has the potential to deal some serious damage to neutral targets. Dragon Unown seems great as well, and would probably work great with a Steel trapper like Magnezone. Adaptability is a godsend for it.

Yawn.

That isn't balancing, that's simply adding things to a metagame, learn what balancing is.
Manual weather was made more viable due to the prolonging of its effects. Manual weather also was underwhelming previously due to the effects only lasting 5 turns as opposed to 8.

Secondly, gen 2 is also the last time they changed a pokemon's typing. And you are literally a hilarious person if you think that Gamefreak is going to introduce an pokemon specific item for a gimmick pokemon that's gone completely ignored for the last decade.
No it's not, Rotom formes were granted a type change during the transition to BW. And my entire argument was formed on the basis that Gamefreak wouldn't change Charizard's type because they've done it so few times in the past. You're also contradicting yourself by bringing this up since you're the one who's trying to argue a type change. Please do your research before trying to make a point.
They introduced a specific ability for Azumarill, who arguably only existed as a parallel to Pikachu. Farfetch'd, however unviable he is, was undeniably a gimmick and still was given the Stick as an exclusive item. Again, research is key for the point you're trying to make, and using ad hominems to prove your point does not help you in your case.

Thirdly, Zarel has already changed a pokemon's typing because he simply wanted to, quite obviously, the whole Drive system isn't something Gamefreak would do with Genesect.
No, but they did it with Arceus. And Rotom. Rotom remained a Ghost-type when changing formes in the previous Gen, but now changes type upon changing formes in this Gen. Genesect retained its type upon changing forme in standard BW, while it now changes type upon changing formes in NEXT

Zarel

Not a Yuyuko fan
Creator of PS
Okay, retyping has only happened once, ever: To retype Rotom formes. In NEXT, I did the same thing with Genesect: retyping Genesect formes.

I'm not willing to retype any Pokemon unless it's a forme that previously had the same type as a Pokemon's base forme.

And yes, I realize most of these changes are wishful thinking and Game Freak probably won't make any of them, but the principle is still to be in the same style as changes Game Freak already has made. Precedent is very important in NEXT.

In conclusion: Charizard's gotten Solar Power, which has given it a new niche in gen 5, so it's not like Charzard's literally been ignored for a decade. Gimmick Pokemon like Delibird and Farfetch'd are actually pokemon Game Freak has intentionally left weak, and so NEXT will leave them weak, but that's not the same as what's happened to Charizard at all.

However, as mentioned earlier, I will not retype Charizard.

(And yes, Gluttony still allows berries to activate at 50% in addition to its new effect.)

Zarel

Not a Yuyuko fan
Creator of PS
I tend not to post rejections because I don't want threads to be cluttered up with arguments, but at the request of Yarnus, I did read your post and here's my response:

I saw, but I tend not to post rejections.

"Make Wonder Room +1 priority, lasts 8 turns, 16 with Light Clay"
+1 priority would be cool, but the others don't really fit in. 5 turns, 8 with Light Clay seems more plausible.

NEXT is also about simplicity. Saying "all pseudo-weathers last 5 turns, or 8 with a boosting item" works a lot better than having different numbers for each.

"Make Gravity boost accuracy by 60% and give Psychic-types 1.1* special attack"
It's currently 66%; I'm not sure why it needs to be changed. but I'm not sure why Psychic-types should get a boost. Not to mention that 1.1x is a really weird boost for a weather.

"Make Focus Punch charge at +1 priority, hit at -1."
I don't think Focus Punch needs a buff, not to mention that charging at +1 would make it much more complicated for a minor buff.

"Make Safeguard last 8 turns, 16 with Light Clay"
Again, 5 turns, 8 with Light Clay would fit better.

"Make Soak last 5 turns, whether or not the victim switches, 8 actions with Mystic Water."
Why does Soak need a nerf?

"Speaking of Mystic Water, I think the set of type-boosting items should be buffed to 1.3*."
I'm considering that, but it seems unnecessary and would mostly serve to buff Tornadus and Torn-T, who are already a bit on the overpowered side.

Intrinsics: Pokemon that previously get Levitate are now immune to Ground intrinsically. Instead, they get new abilities in addition to their Ground immunity.
There are a few suggestions I'd be sharing, but I want to discuss this one first. I'm with everybody who is very happy with this new mechanic. I've always hated how Pokemon with Levitate never have a secondary ability because otherwise they'd lose their levitating status (imagine Koffings, Lunatones and Cryogonals lying seemingly discarded on the ground). The sole exception to this is Bronzong (and Bronzor), and I'm guessing a Heatproof Bronzong just stays put on the middle of the battlefield, completely immobile. Flavor dictates that this levitating status be an intrinsic quality mandated by a Pokemon's design/dex-entries/physiology, so thus I support this change. I have a few suggestions to make though:

From pokemondb.net: "Raised Pokemon are any Pokemon that hover above the ground - specifically Flying types, Pokemon with the Levitate ability or those under the effects of Magnet Rise or Telekinesis. Raised Pokemon are not affected by Ground type moves, Spikes, Toxic Spikes nor Arena Trap." I believe this is a very clear statement that summarizes this new intrinsic mechanic. The underlined phrase will be changed to include a specific list of Pokemon, listed below:
Pokemon who originally had Levitate:
  • Gastly
  • Haunter
  • Gengar
  • Koffing
  • Weezing
  • Misdreavus
  • Unown
  • Vibrava
  • Flygon
  • Lunatone
  • Solrock
  • Baltoy
  • Claydol
  • Duskull
  • Chimecho
  • Latias
  • Latios
  • Mismagius
  • Chingling
  • Bronzor
  • Bronzong
  • Carnivine
  • Rotom - Normal form
  • Rotom - Heat form
  • Rotom - Wash form
  • Rotom - Frost form
  • Rotom - Fan form
  • Rotom - Mow form
  • Uxie
  • Mesprit
  • Azelf
  • Giratina - Origin form
  • Cresselia
  • Tynamo
  • Eelektrik
  • Eelektross
  • Cryogonal
  • Hydreigon

Pokemon with wings, capable of flight, (almost) always depicted flying, but are not Flying-type:
  • Venomoth
  • Dustox
  • Shedinja
  • Volbeat
  • Illumise

Pokemon that are (almost) always depicted to be flying/levitating/hovering in anime/manga/dex entries:
  • Magnemite
  • Magneton
  • Magnezone
  • Porygon
  • Porygon2
  • Porygon-Z
  • Dragonair
  • Mew
  • Shuppet
  • Glalie
  • Beldum
  • Metang
  • Spiritomb
  • Jirachi
  • Dusknoir
  • Froslass
  • Yamask
  • Solosis
  • Duosion
  • Reuniclus
  • Vanillite
  • Vanillish
  • Vanilluxe
  • Lampent
  • Chandelure
  • Volcarona

"Pokemon no longer stay raised (and cannot become raised) if Gravity or Ingrain is in effect, the move Smack Down is used against them, or Iron Ball is held." Also, Mold Breaker negates abilities only, and thus should not cancel out this Raised status, in the same way that Mold Breaker Earthquakes can't hit Pokemon under the effects of Magnet Rise and Telekinesis.

Another thing that I would like to discuss is how Raised Pokemon shares an immunity to Ground-type attacks with the Flying-types. We all know how Flying (and Levitating) Pokemon are immune to Earthquake or Magnitude, but it just makes zero sense flavorwise how Bonemerang (which is also a ground-type attack) fails to hit, when in fact, boomerangs are used to hunt birds. Now I know GenNEXT does not allow changes in the Type Chart, so what I'm proposing is to add an effect to some select Ground-type attacks that allows them to hit Raised Pokemon. This is nothing new, since Sand-Attack (a ground type move) has been hitting Flying-type Pokemon despite there immunity since Gen2. Below is the list of other Ground-type attacks that should be able to hit Raised Pokemon (dealing Normal Effective damage to Flying-Types):
  • Bone Club - The user clubs the target with a bone.
  • Bone Rush - The user strikes the target with a hard bone two to five times in a row.
  • Bonemerang - The user throws the bone it holds. The bone loops to hit the target twice, coming and going.
  • Drill Run - The user crashes into its target while rotating its body like a drill.
  • Mud Bomb - The user launches a hard-packed mud ball to attack.
  • Mud Shot - The user attacks by hurling a blob of mud at the target.

I love where this project is headed. Is it still in major development? I would love to be able to play it on Showdown before the next gen is released.

Katakiri

Listen, Brendan...
is a Researcher Alumnus
A change I would love to see is Keen Eye being made into an ability that prevents the opposing Pokemon from using any move known by the user. Because the Pokemon is well-versed with a move, they are able to see it coming when used against them and can avoid or stop the move using that knowledge.
Essentially it becomes an automatic Imprison similar to Magic Bounce but far harder to use and way more situational.

This would give the Keen Eye birds a niche unique to them as well as a certain Poison/Dark-type and a keen-eyed boxer we all know and love.

For instance, Swanna armed with any combination of Scald, Hurricane, and Toxic now completely blocks those moves on switch. This makes her an amazing switch-in against Rain as she walls Defensive Politoed entirely and blocks Hurricane which leaves Tornadus with only Focus Blast & Hidden Power to hit her with (following common Tornadus sets.)
Hitmonchan completely blocks Close Combat and Rapid Spin meaning it not only deals with Terrakion expertly, but it can try it's hand as a Spin Blocker that can Rapid Spin itself.
Skarmory blocks Stealth Rock or Spikes from being set up just by coming into battle.
Drapion now blocks Earthquake upon entry so long as it carries the move, which lets it be the Pursuit-trapper it was always meant to be. It can also run a SubSD set that locks SubSD Garchomp out of 3 of it's 4 moves. A forgotten Pokemon turned very volatile.

It's a small change but it would make a few Pokemon pretty cool to use. I was thinking of Unnerve doing the same thing but it's totally an afterthought as far as I'm concerned. It basically makes the opponent too afraid to use the move.

Ursaring blocking Close Combat, Stone Edge, & Earthquake to lock-down it's counters at the cost of Guts/Quick Feet.
Tyranitar...nah he really like his Sand Stream.
Haxorus blocking other Dragons from doing jack squat by having Outrage, Dragon Claw, or both. It comes at the cost of the ever-useful Mold Breaker however.
Galvantula...is actually still really bad but I hope you get my point.

I always thought Imprison had a lot of potential but the Pokemon that get it can do absolutely nothing with it bar Landorus & Stealth Rock so it would be really cool to see the concept of the move shine on Pokemon that can make use of it.

Reference:
http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Keen_Eye_%28Ability%29
http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Unnerve_(Ability)

I noticed you said that Drain Punch and special-based fighting don't make sense flavor-wise, but I think GameFreak was getting at the Asian idea of ki/chi which makes sense. Drain Punch is an attack that preys on the life force(ki) of the opponent.
Aura Sphere, Vacuum Wave, Secret Sword and Focus Blast are all basically harnessing ki to fight like you see in anime shows such as Dragon Ball or YuYu Hakusho.
Just saying, GameFreak is all about their Japanese concepts/myths making their way into the game and you said NEXT is about flavor/what GameFreak might plausibly do. So, it wouldn't make much sense to detract from special-based fighting or make drain punch a poison attack.

Also, it would be cool for Rotom-C to get a way to deal with grass types because currently the fan, the oven and the freezer are all better at dealing with grass than the lawn mower... Maybe if the forms all got a second move, that would be cool. Rotom-H with Scald, Rotom-F with Milk Drink, Rotom-C with Air Cutter(although that wouldn't help it is the only move I saw that made sense), Rotom-S with Icy Wind, Rotom-W with Metal Sound. Okay maybe those were lame, but it was the best I could come up with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)