Gen V Balanced Hackmons

Status
Not open for further replies.

EV

Banned deucer.
So what about Unaware Ttar? Does anyone use that? In sand of course. It takes V-create well and shrugs off Dracos and Overheats and of course laughs at Stored Power.
Could it work with Foul Play for physical Contrarymons? But they usually run Superpower. Hmm.
Any set ideas?

So what about Unaware Ttar? Does anyone use that? In sand of course. It takes V-create well and shrugs off Dracos and Overheats and of course laughs at Stored Power.
Could it work with Foul Play for physical Contrarymons? But they usually run Superpower. Hmm.
Any set ideas?
Tyranitar sounds like a great idea, especially because of Stored Power (Deoxys-Speed is nasty with it, as I've found out, especially when your team just won't wake up).

Additionally, does Regenerator take effect when switched out by Dragon Tail (I'm thinking of a particularly evil strategy :naughty:)??

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Any set ideas?
I used Tyranitar on the original (read: very very old) version of my sand team (link in my signature), and it was nice... a long time ago. Nowadays, Fighting moves are more common, Escavalier is running around, and it fails to do significant damage to Prankster Groudon/Rhydon. Granted, I used it in the Huge Power era, but I'm not sure if it's worth using Tyranitar over Shuckle.

Unaware Shuckle in the sand can and will slowly whittle away at your soul until you are a husk.

I used Tyranitar on the original (read: very very old) version of my sand team (link in my signature), and it was nice... a long time ago. Nowadays, Fighting moves are more common, Escavalier is running around, and it fails to do significant damage to Prankster Groudon/Rhydon. Granted, I used it in the Huge Power era, but I'm not sure if it's worth using Tyranitar over Shuckle.

Unaware Shuckle in the sand can and will slowly whittle away at your soul until you are a husk.
That's a great sand team; I made a team that's inspired by it (it uses Deoxys-S, Kyurem-B, and Shuckle, although some of them have been changed a bit).

Replays:
http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/balancedhackmons11221587

http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/balancedhackmons11222455 (it's weakened by rain, for obvious reasons)

http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/balancedhackmons11222988

Imanalt

I'm the coolest girl you'll ever meet
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Frankly i dont see how your team is at all like his other than being a sand team that uses a few of the same mons, and using the same mons in bh often means nothing, especially since youre running bizarre sets on them...

Anyways on the topic of unaware tyranitar: i'd shy away from it for the same exact reason i dont like unaware escavalier. A common 4x weakness is not what you want on a mon that is trying to wall their sweepers. Id reccomend lugia or cresselia as they both have enough special bulk and a resist to stored power if yourereally that worried about it, although i have only seen a select few mons that can run stored power very effectovely, and as a result see it very rarely from better players

I love this metagame. I've been using some typical hackmons stuff such as Scrappy Slaking or Imposter Blissey, but my favorite creative pokemon I made was a Speed Boost Kyogre with a set of Shell Smash / Surf / Rain Dance / Protect. It might not always work, but when it does get a shell smash and rain up, it's pretty much game over.

Imanalt

Dubby, glad to hear you like the metagame :)

Unfortunately, speed boost is generally not a good idea. In general youd either be better off with magic bounce to aid in set up or swift swim with rain support. Your set also has problems both with imposters and unaware mons. To fix these problems id suggest running a set of substitute/shell smash or tail glow/surf/thunder(bolt) w/ a modest nature, woth either swift swim or magic bounce. If you run magic bounce, run shell smash as youll be needing that speed. With swift swim however, you don't need the speed and are better off going for maximal power with tail glow. Substitute is there to keep imposters from coming in on you, so make sure you have a sub up if they have an imposter. Thunder allows you to try to muscle through the most common unaware mon that has ability to take surfs, lugia.

Also ive seen many different sets for scrappy slaking, with varied success, so im curious what set youre using and how successful its been :)

Thanks for the advice. My Slaking set is Choice Band with Return / Extremespeed / Close Combat / Ice Punch. Yeah I've learned that Imposter pokes are a pain, and that Magic Bounce is basically essential in this metagame. I've also began to use Unaware Jirachi with Substitute / Iron Head / Spore / V-Create although Iron Head only has 30% chance of flinching.

Arcticblast

is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Code:
 +----------------------------------------+ 
 | Slaking                                | 
 | Raw count: 1719                        | 
 | Avg. weight: 0.836547399942            | 
 | Abilities                              | 
 | Illusion 20.706%                       | 
 | Mold Breaker 13.540%                   | 
 | Contrary 12.485%                       | 
 | Magic Bounce  9.206%                   | 
 | Magic Guard  8.993%                    | 
 | Scrappy  4.859%                        | 
 | Other 30.210%                          | 
 | Items                                  | 
 | Lum Berry 33.525%                      | 
 | Leftovers 16.457%                      | 
 | Sitrus Berry 11.859%                   | 
 | Toxic Orb  8.508%                      | 
 | Life Orb  6.480%                       | 
 | Choice Band  6.433%                    | 
 | Expert Belt  3.200%                    | 
 | Flame Orb  2.906%                      | 
 | White Herb  2.571%                     | 
 | Silk Scarf  1.599%                     | 
 | Choice Scarf  1.308%                   | 
 | BrightPowder  1.305%                   | 
 | Other  3.847%                          | 
I was going to use this as a "you were saying?" type of thing, but right now I can't understand why over 11% of Slaking run a status orb when none of Guts, Poison Heal, and Toxic Boost have over around 3% usage. Maybe there's some odd combination of those three plus Magic Guard?

Still, Slaking don't "prefer" Guts + Facade (although Facade does have around 9% usage, Extremespeed is always the better STAB).

Imanalt

Tbh slakings problem is that since the huge/pure power ban, it has had very few niches where it is better than mediocre, largely because without guts it cant beat giratina, but guts slakings survivability is terrible for a tier where bulk is extremely important. More defensive sets and/or spinning sets also generally outclassed by arceus due to superior speed and bulk. However sub+set up move sets may be interesting because i believe slaking has the bulk to set up subs on most dragon tails, so thats probably worth a try. However these will struggle with rhydon unless they run something strange like powerwhip which leaves them walled by giratina and steels.

I'm not really sure how well known this set is, but I've been using it for a while now and it's been pretty solid.
Registeel @lefites
Unaware Calm
252Everything
Dragon tail
Spikes
Sleep talk
Recover

A lot of mons set up on him while you get your hazards going. He can take just about any hit, and heal off the damage, put down hazards, or phaze the mon out. Dragon tail so you can't be taunted, recover and spikes are self explanatory, and sleep talk let's him come in on the spores that fly around. As a bonus you don't have to worry about enemy inposters taking your boosts and attacking your team.

If this is a common set I apologize, but I haven't seen anyone else using it. Also are there any pokes that do this job more effectively than registeel?

I've been using this set for Dialga. I'm wondering if anybody else is using this and I'd like to hear your opinion whether this set is any good. From what I experienced from using this Dialga set, its pretty OK unless there's unaware, normalize Gengar and burn..or maybe other set that I didn't encounter yet. Oh, imposter Blissey could also ruin this Dialga's day...

Dialga @ Leftovers
Trait: Contrary
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 SDef / 252 Spd
Relaxed Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Superpower
- V-create
- Recover

Imanalt

Run substitute over superpower tp make it easier to set up on things, and help with imposter chansey. Also a lum berry might be helpful to stop one sporer from ruining your sweep.

Im also gonna post what i believe to be the best contrary mon in the current metagame as well as the best scarfer.
Kyurem-W @ Choice Scarf
Modest Nature
-Draco Meteor
-Overheat
-Leaf Storm / Trick
-Volt Switch

Basically this set beats most imposters by outrunning them with the scarf and ohkoing, its biggest problem is specially bulky unaware mons (lugia and cresselia and shuvkle in sand), and when these are around it should volt switch out to let tou get in a counter and wear them down.

Arcticblast

I'm not really sure how well known this set is, but I've been using it for a while now and it's been pretty solid.
Registeel @lefites
Unaware Calm
252Everything
Dragon tail
Spikes
Sleep talk
Recover

A lot of mons set up on him while you get your hazards going. He can take just about any hit, and heal off the damage, put down hazards, or phaze the mon out. Dragon tail so you can't be taunted, recover and spikes are self explanatory, and sleep talk let's him come in on the spores that fly around. As a bonus you don't have to worry about enemy inposters taking your boosts and attacking your team.

If this is a common set I apologize, but I haven't seen anyone else using it. Also are there any pokes that do this job more effectively than registeel?
Substitute Contrary Dialga would probably give this set nightmares, as it can simply V-Create until it gets past Registeel. Contrary users with Overheat are also troublesome. Otherwise, it's a pretty good set.

Im also gonna post what i believe to be the best contrary mon in the current metagame as well as the best scarfer.
Kyurem-W @ Choice Scarf
Modest Nature
-Draco Meteor
-Overheat
-Leaf Storm / Trick
-Volt Switch

Basically this set beats most imposters by outrunning them with the scarf and ohkoing, its biggest problem is specially bulky unaware mons (lugia and cresselia and shuvkle in sand), and when these are around it should volt switch out to let tou get in a counter and wear them down.
Echoing Imanalt here, Scarf Contrary Kyurem-White is a beast.

Excuse me for being a noob here, but what advantages does White Kyurem have over Reshiram? It has slightly different base stats, but does are they really worth more than STAB overheat? I'm probably missing something critical here, but could someone please tell me what that is?

MJB

Sup Peeps
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnus
Excuse me for being a noob here, but what advantages does White Kyurem have over Reshiram? It has slightly different base stats, but does are they really worth more than STAB overheat? I'm probably missing something critical here, but could someone please tell me what that is?
dat power!

seriously though its mostly about that extra bit of power. Stab overheat is nice but so is stab ice beam.

Arcticblast

Kyurem-W is bulkier, faster, and more powerful, and isn't weak to Nature Power like Reshiram is. Reshiram's STAB V-Create is nice, but not worth the stat drop.

Imanalt

Yeah kyurem has power, which is the big thing here. Its draco meteor has a chance to 2hko unaware lugia, which makes it incredibly hard to deal with for a lot of teams.

I have been meaning to try out reshiram with the same set on a sun team, a sun allows overheat to cleanly 2hko lugia

Kyurem-W is bulkier, faster, and more powerful, and isn't weak to Nature Power like Reshiram is. Reshiram's STAB V-Create is nice, but not worth the stat drop.
I used to use a Solar Power Reshiram. It hit really hard (plus STAB), but died rather quickly, and I had to put Drought on Deoxys-S (which helped Rayquaza as well, though...). It might be able to work if you built a team specifically around it, but I don't think it would really be worth it (additionally, it might be better to use Kyurem-W for that purpose).

I can see now without a doubt that White Kyurem is in 90% of situations a better choice. Has anyone had success running it on a hail team? That STAB blizzard coupled with its other options would hit hard. I could see a hail kyu-w being run alongside a regular scarf contrary one, to beat imposters and dent things with blizzard. Has anyone tried this?

Arcticblast

I can see now without a doubt that White Kyurem is in 90% of cituations a better choice. Has anyone had success running it on a hail team? That STAB blizzard coupled with its other options would hit hard. I could see a hail kyu-w being run alongside a regular scarf contrary one, to beat imposters and dent things with blizzard. Has anyone tried this?
Snow Warning Kyurem-W is incredibly dangerous; as it can boost with something like Shell Smash and not be too afraid of Prankster Rhydon. Blizzard is also its strongest consistent STAB when it's in Hail and you aren't using Contrary. Double Kyurem-W sounds pretty dangerous as well, although some synergy issues will come up due to Kyurem-W's bad typing. It's technically impossible to have two different Kyurem formes ingame though, so I'm not sure if that's allowed.

Imanalt

Im in general not a fan of snow warning, because it helps kyurem but does little to support the rest of your team, as hail is just not that abusable, and kyu could run an ability that aids it more in general

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)