Gen V STABmons

Status
Not open for further replies.

EV

Banned deucer.
I put up a new logo in the OP.

I'm not an expert at GIMP, but tell me what you think!

Landorus is good, but it also has a lot of competition for an offensive flying type from gyarados, swellow, yanmega, tornadus, thundurus, zapdos, togekiss, and probably a bunch more that I'm forgetting.

Gyarados is a physical attacker and doesnt share any weakness with Landorus at all which means that it doesnt face competition with it and you can run both on one team for sure.

On top of that Gyarados' defensive set is very popular as well with Roost+Intimidate.

Lando is for sure one of the scarier guys in this tier with his Sheer Force boosted attacks and Rock Polish to outspeed pretty much everything. Especially because not a lot of Ice Shard users are around in this tier atm.

SpartanMalice

Y'all jokers must be crazy
Landorus and Gyarados can actually work really well together. Because they don't share any common weaknesses and have a common STAB, you can pair them up as either a defensive or offensive core or one of both. Lando will almost always run Sheer Force with Hurricane, so you can pair it up with Intimidate Defensive Gdos, or an offensive Gdos, Therian can run both physically offensive or defensive which means it can be paired up with a specially defensive Gdos as well. The one area where they begin to differ is that Landorus-T has access to both hazards as well as Roost, and a sub-breaker in bonemerang, whereas Gdos gets Waterfall instead and a typing that isn't 4x weak to priority, resists most priority outside of Extremespeed. It depends on your playstyle.

Also I don't see why they'd be competing with Swellow as a flying type. Swellow's frailer than both of them and Ursaring, its flying movepool is more or less the same, and unlike Ursaring it doesn't get a fighting move (but could probably work around that with Nature Power). That being said, I don't think it's going to KO steels like Metagross even with guts because of its base 85 attack, and it will die to any priority anyway.

Now, Yanmega and Thundurus, I agree. I alternate between him and thundurus, since even with a better typing thundurus dies to ice attacks anyway. Yanmega, I've only used him once, and the few times I faced him I managed to spore him, but he's dangerous when he sets up and isn't outsped. Definitely a threat, but needs massive support that Lando probably doesn't need.

Because swellow has that delicious facade, and nature power is going to be putting a dent in most steel types. For example:
252 Atk Guts Swellow Nature Power vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Metagross: 196-232 (53.84 - 63.73%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Guts Swellow Nature Power vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 468-552 (121.55 - 143.37%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Guts Swellow Nature Power vs. 180 HP / 0 Def Tyranitar: 226-268 (58.54 - 69.43%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Now, it only gets a 3hko on ferrothorn, but swellow is a sweeper, not a wallbreaker. It is capable of hitting hard and fast, and ohkoing a lot of threats, as well as having guts which lets it be immune to status, which is rampant in this metagame.

I've been thinking about all the flying types that now have access to Hurricane... what about Aeroblast? Especially on something that generally wants Fire Blast / etc. for coverage, like Salamence / Moltres, and so doesn't want to run Hurricane in rain. Air slash is useless compared to Aeroblast - being 25 points weaker for the same accuracy - unless the user is extremely fast like Speed Boost Yanmega. Of course, Aeroblast is also the best option for special-attacking flying types on sun or sand teams.

I had thought of something like this a while back; I'm glad to see that it might get made into a metagame.

I'm wondering though; would Whimsicott with Spore be a little too broken?

Not at all, it's weak to sapsipper mons like bouffolant. Sableye outclasses it because of destiny bond. That's not to say it isn't good, it's very good. Just not broken.

SpartanMalice

The only advantage it has is slightly better defenses, and being guaranteed to be the fastest sleep user because of it's high speed.

Not only that, but it has a different support movepool (as well as the superior spore over dark void) and has access to moves like encore and leech seed over destiny bond and recover. They are honestly a lot different.

I've never been a big fan of Whimsicott. It used to be a regular at the start of BW OU because of it's prankster annoyances which made some people easily ragequit to it but after a while you notice that apart from annoying you it doesnt do anything. It doesnt get any damage on you, only thing it does is put you to sleep and then do some encore, leech seed and stun spore shenanigans. If you do some smart switching you'll notice that Whimsicott is a useless tool once sleep clause is activated.

First thing about the cotton guy is that it pretty much needs a Sub to function well. That's 1 moveslot already, Spore is a 2nd moveslot so that leaves only 2 moveslots. One goes to Encore most likely while the other is a choice between Stun Spore, Leech Seed or U-Turn. Opting for Stun Spore means it cant do any damage on you, Leech Seed means that it's worthless against grass-types + you can switch around to annoy it like hell.

Sableye outclasses it because it doesnt need a Sub to function well, has access to Recover, has better typing and can actually do some damage without any investment due to Foul Play, Seismic Toss or Nightshade. On top of that it doesnt need to sleep physical attackers as it can choose to WoW them, saving sleep for something else. Burn is a superior status condition on physical mons than paralysis in my opinion (unless Guts).

And the best of all: Sableye is immune to the very common Extremespeed, Whimsicott isnt. And ExtremeSpeed priority > Prankster priority.

It's true that Sableye can be a bit shaky due to WoW and Dark Void accuracy but it can mitigate it with Destiny Bond.

Whimsicott isnt anywhere near broken, in fact I'd advise using Sableye in 90% of the cases over it because of the aforementioned reasons.

SpartanMalice

All in all Whimsicott is generally better for stalling IMO since Sableye can stop a sweep with Destiny Bond, Heal off with Recover (Whimsicott gets Morning Sun but Leech Seed is it's only way of dealing any actual damage), and KO slower physical pokes that set up on it by foul play. If you really want that accuracy you may as well use Hone Claws, but that's a waste of a moveslot and it's generally good otherwise. I've had better results using Sableye earlier than Whimsi. I do like using Whimsi in other tiers like RU and Tier Shift though.

Speaking of high speed mons with Spore, I wonder how Contrary Serperior would fare in this meta. Spore over Substitute and just spam Leaf Storm. Outside of Pranksters, it's probably the fastest Spore user around.

I'm gonna have to agree that Sableye is more efficient in this meta. It has a plethora of options for countering offensive and defensive pokemon alike. It can immediately shut down sweepers with WoW, Destiny Bond, Dark Void, etc. It can also counter defensive mons with Taunt, Switcheroo, Dark Void, etc. Whimsi can stall with leech seed and has access to Spore, but that's where it ends for whimsi. Sableye is just an excellent support pokemon, maybe one of the best in this meta, as it can cripple offensive and defensive mons alike.

Oh yeah, and Sableye gets recover, and whimsi only gets synthesis, which is hard to fit on a set. Also, Sableye has a useful typing for taking the ever-so-common E-Speed.

Chinchou

Banned deucer.
Look at this set 0_0
Flareon @ Life Orb
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Adamant Nature
- Shell Smash
- Flare Blitz
- Morning Sun
- Nature Power

DEATH IN SUN

EV

Banned deucer.
Bum news about OMotM guys. ;.; I'm glad Smogon is back, though.

OP looks like sh*t since the hide code isn't working. Not sure how to edit it, either.

P.S.- I know matches can be arranged on any server as a custom game, but the Amethyst server has a working mod for STABmons. I'm going to add to the STABmon group with some more stuff, too, so keep an eye on that! Can't find groups or they don't exist anymore so nevermind.

Sorry you guys got gypped out of your ladder. I'd have loved to try one of the teams from Team Study on the ladder.

I'd also love to learn this Metagame if someone would teach me. I'd be willing to teach Doubles in return.

Idk if anyone has mentioned this, but Sharpedo and Hydreigon both get Nasty Plot. However, Sharpedo might face competition with Yanmega for a Speed Boost sweeper.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 5)