Gen VII: Pokémon Sun and Moon (New info Post #5834)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am the only one here who is content with actually writing out Sun and Moon, aren't I?
...actually, this doesn't surprise me as I am the only one who tries to properly format titles and I actually include the accent in Pokémon.
I used to keep the accent over the e in Pokemon, but my latest laptop doesn't have the number pad so I find it harder and harder to justify doing it.

But yeah, I feel when the dust settles, we'll call it SM and not anything else.

I used to keep the accent over the e in Pokemon, but my latest laptop doesn't have the number pad so I find it harder and harder to justify doing it.

But yeah, I feel when the dust settles, we'll call it SM and not anything else.
I'm lucky since MacOS and iOS allows you to simply hold the letter in question and then a little window pops up and all I have to do is push the number key/push the appropriate accent (MacOS/iOS) and boom, done.

I had a dream last night (or more like sometime early this morning) about news concerning new Pokémon. Probably because I'm more desperate for more news than I'd like to admit. Watching speculation videos on YouTube probably doesn't help matters.

In the "Nintendo did not forget Zygarde / Zygod is STILL coming news:

Link for proof.
OMG, does Zygod have snakes for hands?! That. Is. So. Cool!!!

The woodpecker Pokemon seems like it will be a nicely designed early game bird. Let's hope it doesn't go along the naming route of Talonflame for the final evolution if it has one.

Samtendo09

Ability: Light Power
is a Pre-Contributor
For anyone interested someone on reddit seems to have recreated the Bird pokemon in Blender

https://sketchfab.com/models/7417bb15ea03424b96d6552af8f63ddd
Very interesting. =)

By the way, since we could not overdose ourselves to avoid hype backlash, what would be your worst concerns? This is not intended for flame wars, so let's speak carefully.

Mine would be that older Gens would get too much attentions since its Gen 7's in the upcoming games that is Sun and Moon, like it happened in X & Y where Gen 1 got way more attention than Gen 6 is allowed to have.

I know this is to bring back those who are nostalgic with Gen 1, but what about other Gen 5? It was acclaimed and yet none of the Pokemon got a Mega Evolution in X & Y and only one in ORAS which doesn't have much use in Single Battle, which in this case is Audino. The same amount of attention for all generations would be reasonable.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
I'm lucky since MacOS and iOS allows you to simply hold the letter in question and then a little window pops up and all I have to do is push the number key/push the appropriate accent (MacOS/iOS) and boom, done.
Meanwhile, Windows is all like "Fuck you, have an obscure command that's also hard to remember."

By the way, since we could not overdose ourselves to avoid hype backlash, what would be your worst concerns?
It's honestly kind of hard for Game Freak to fuck up at this point. The bars set for story and characters are already borderline nonexistent outside of having an Excuse Plot* to motivate you To Be A Master, Mons are Mons and there are always design darlings because they know what they're doing in the art department, and gameplay would need a massive overhaul of some kind to get ruined. Difficulty is really the only concern here, but in that case it's more "they won't try to do anything to improve it and make it challenging" than "they'll bastardize it by making it easier to appeal to casuals". I could go on about how they could fix this, but that would be wishlisting.

*The plots in Pokémon aren't technically Excuse Plots since they are more developed than something like your standard Mario platformer, but compared to other RPGs (a traditionally plot-heavy genre) the main games are extremely bare-bones.

Last edited:
Meanwhile, Windows is all like "Fuck you, have an obscure command that's also hard to remember."
For me it's just holding "alt gr" which is to the right of the spacebar and pressing 'e'. It's pretty easy to remember especially considering how much I'm on this forum; but then again I'm on a laptop and I'm in Scotland - from what I've heard British keyboards are different to American ones so maybe the way you have I'd find bullshit too

Very interesting. =)

By the way, since we could not overdose ourselves to avoid hype backlash, what would be your worst concerns? This is not intended for flame wars, so let's speak carefully.

Mine would be that older Gens would get too much attentions since its Gen 7's in the upcoming games that is Sun and Moon, like it happened in X & Y where Gen 1 got way more attention than Gen 6 is allowed to have.

I know this is to bring back those who are nostalgic with Gen 1, but what about other Gen 5? It was acclaimed and yet none of the Pokemon got a Mega Evolution in X & Y and only one in ORAS which doesn't have much use in Single Battle, which in this case is Audino. The same amount of attention for all generations would be reasonable.
Eh... honestly, I can't think of anything. And considering how little information we have this basically goes into baseless speculation; like a sort of anti-wishlisting.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
For me it's just holding "alt gr" which is to the right of the spacebar and pressing 'e'. It's pretty easy to remember especially considering how much I'm on this forum; but then again I'm on a laptop and I'm in Scotland - from what I've heard British keyboards are different to American ones so maybe the way you have I'd find bullshit too
Pretty sure that is a UK thing. I have to hold down ALT and key in 0, 2, 3, 3, or 1, 3, 0 on the numpad. TV Tropes says it can also be done with CTRL + ALT + "e" on some keyboards, but it doesn't work for mine (and it can produce the Euro symbol for some people, apparently). I usually just c/p that shit unless I'm on mobile

I guess you guys in America now know how to do it (if you didn't already).

Last edited:

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
By the way, since we could not overdose ourselves to avoid hype backlash, what would be your worst concerns?
Uhh... for me, first and foremost, that they'll either do too little to address content crunch, or too much. Consider Abilities, for instance. Most Pokémon have three abilities right now. Some are designed to have only one. If Game Freak wants to create new abilities, the only Pokémon available to give them to will be the new Gen VII 'mons. That'd be a loss, sort of. Then again, it'd be a bigger loss not to have any new abilities at all. Doing "too much" might involve overhauling the ability system entirely, without making sure the replacement is for the better. Similar things can be said about movepools and hold items, among others.

My second biggest concern is that they'll play the games too safe. Making the story the same as always, with an evil team wanting to take over the world via a Legendary Pokémon, eight Gyms to be defeated, and the Elite Four sitting in their castle in the middle of nowhere. Having a professor, a rival, a single mother, a "mentor figure" Champion, a talkative and brooding Evil Team Leader, and a route structure based on "beat the boss to remove the obstacle". Giving the region a standard sandstormy desert, a standard hail-filled snowfield, a standard water route (always in the open sea), loads of standard caves and no post-game apart from the usual Battle Whatever. If they play too much by the numbers, the games will be awfully boring. A little shaking up wouldn't hurt. Then again, shake things up too much, and the audience will be alienated. The Pokémon games are walking a very narrow path.

Also, if they don't continue the DexNav features in some shape or form, I'll be furious.

For anyone interested someone on reddit seems to have recreated the Bird pokemon in Blender

https://sketchfab.com/models/7417bb15ea03424b96d6552af8f63ddd
A woodpecker pokemon would be an awesome normal/flying type or even grass/flying type but I really don't want to speculate too much now.

Just for a joke, I looked at the first comment and it seems to suggest what the Japanese name is. I typed this into Google Translate for a laugh (I know right?) and I looked at the English name "Take your will"

Also, if they don't continue the DexNav features in some shape or form, I'll be furious.
Don't underestimate the power of Game Freak to discontinue beloved established features in Pokémon main series games...

Btw. I would love if they would just give more than one ability to Pokémon. This way they could buff bad Pokémon in giving them a mix of 4-5 kinda weak traits like Unnerve to add up to unique combinations. And give Pokémon that obviously have Levitate another toy to distinguish them from other Pokémon.

Reactions: JES
Btw. I would love if they would just give more than one ability to Pokémon. This way they could buff bad Pokémon in giving them a mix of 4-5 kinda weak traits like Unnerve to add up to unique combinations. And give Pokémon that obviously have Levitate another toy to distinguish them from other Pokémon.
This would make the game unplayable.

Looking at the gaps in story quality an character development in pretty much every game, mine would be that they continue the trend of a group of vague terrorists trying to commit (x vague crime/terror act) in the name of the glorious leader. I'd prefer if they expanded on the exact intentions and developed the villian characters more in depth. I also hope that they develop the rival/companion-esque characters more thoroughly. Trevor/Tierno/(Calem/Serena) were very bland characters that didn't go through any meaningful change.

I wouldn't object to a Skill Link + Technician Cincinno or Ambipom... But there's a bazillion things that "I wouldn't object to" and I'll be happy if even one of them makes it into Sun and Moon. re: gamefreak's potential disappointments in the future, I'm very much an optimist, but that's because I set the bar so goddamn low.

Reactions: JES
Looking at the gaps in story quality an character development in pretty much every game, mine would be that they continue the trend of a group of vague terrorists trying to commit (x vague crime/terror act) in the name of the glorious leader. I'd prefer if they expanded on the exact intentions and developed the villian characters more in depth. I also hope that they develop the rival/companion-esque characters more thoroughly. Trevor/Tierno/(Calem/Serena) were very bland characters that didn't go through any meaningful change.
I did like the pokemon team sets they had. At least Blue/Green and Barry went through changes...

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Err, that would make things a mess. How about just improving the Abilities that effects aren't up to snuff. Like for Unnerve, maybe instead of just preventing Berries from activating it prevents any "once per battle" item from activating (Berries, Gems, Herbs, Absorb Bulb, Cell Battery, Luminous Moss, Snowball, Weakness Policy, Focus Sash, Eject Button, & Red Card) since the idea behind the Ability is the Pokemon is so scary/unsettling the opponent forgets the item it has thus can't activate it (however passive items, items which affect is on all the time, aren't affected since they don't need to be activated).

What I would like to see for Abilities is, not only improving lesser Abilities, but also removing the "2 normal Abilities, 1 Hidden Ability" limit. If it makes sense for a Pokemon to have a certain Ability, just give that Pokemon the Ability. We now have the Ability Capsule, if the hatched Pokemon doesn't have the Ability we want a few rounds in the Battle Facility can fix that (plus multiple Hidden Abilities mean the Ability Capsule can be used with Hidden Abilities as well). Also maybe they can find a way for Pokemon to be able to breed Abilities like we do with Moves.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
Woah I've never noticed that there's an ocean behind Anistar City where there shouldn't be one according to the maps...
It's on the edge of a lake on the map...

It's second most eastward city on the above. It most definitely sits on the edge of a Lake/River. You can even see the sundial in the official map of the region.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)