Gen VII: Pokemon Sun and Moon Discussion MKII

Status
Not open for further replies.
The lack of patterns is exactly why I will stay with the franchise for another while: It keeps us surprised when we lose hopes or expectations.

For instance, when DP (not Platinum or HGSS) and XY moved to a new system, Game Freak probably lowered our expectations for a while, right? BW and Sun-Moon brought our hopes back by using the maximum capabilities of the system before it dies off. They take advantage of this idea very well.

god I'm kind of scared of imagining a Pokemon on a new system, it wuold mean in-order to buy the next Pokemon game I'd have to say good bye to the DS....man I have 11 years of memory with those games, it's around 2/3 of my live that it's been out haha.

Also, just wondering, what is so hype about seeing the starters second evolution? We know their final! I figured that would be the most hype. :D

I'm not exactly sure if those designs are final (I hope they are though) or not, but the middle stages do wonder me a bit. If they're 3 stages like usual, how would Popplio go from a male-like design in its initial stage to a feminine one in its final stage? I would really like to the in-between for that.

As for the secret, I think that they will function like Rockruff in that they change depending on the version you get even if they're technically the same Pokemon. With the fact that the starters and Rockruff apparently share a connection, I think this might be it.

So I did a little digging through the Japanese trailers (because more often than not, the English ones don't show the HP bar) and using the damage calc I was able to determine the ranges for the HP stat of some pokemon. Doesn't tell us much, and I'm assuming nothing changes in terms of formula from Gen 6 to 7. Its not full stats, nor is it 100% accurate, but its a start.

Pokemon..................0 IV 0 EV............31 IV 0 EV...............31 IV 252 EV

A-Raticate.................88-86..................72-71........................40

A-Vulpix.....................43.......................27 ........................ N/A

A-Ninetails..................78......................63...........................31

A-Raichu.....................69....................54-53.........................22

A-Executor..............107-106...................91.........................60-59

Rowlet......................89-80..................74-65......................42-33

Litten........................53-50..................37-35.......................6-3

Popplio......................63-60..................47-45.....................16-13

Wishiwashi..................55.....................40-39.......................8-7

Cutifly.......................52-50..................36-35........................7

Salandit.....................49-48..................34-33........................2

Minior........................72-71..................56-55.....................25-24

Comfey......................59-58..................44-42.....................12-11

Oranguru......................105....................90..........................58

Lycanroc-Midday.............81.....................65..........................34

Bruxish.........................82..................67-66.........................35

Palossand......................93...................77............................46

Gumshoos...................98-97................82-81.......................49-48

Togedemaru................76-75................61-60.......................29-28

Pyukumuku................102-100..............86-85.......................55-53

Turtonator...................71-70................56-55.......................24-23

Stufful.........................80-78................65-63.......................33-31

Zygarde 10%..................65....................50............................18

Zygarde 100%...............231....................216..........................184

Tapu-koko......................85....................70............................38

Solgaleo........................152...................137 .........................105
All the Alola Forms apparently have a higher Base HP than their non-Alola counterparts (Raticate has base 55 HP, Vulpix has 43, Ninetales has 73, Raichu has 60, and Exeggutor has 95) so this may be an indication that Alola Formes do in fact have different stats than non-alola Pokemon.

Also: Pyukumuku with possibly base 100 HP? that's a max of 404HP to work with and potentially abuse... Although i'm not 100% sure how amazing it would be since it may be able to survive a hit and deal considerably less damage. Stufful having a good amount of Base HP before it evolves makes me wonder how tanky Bewear will be.

EDIT: Also Salandit's and Comfey's HP indicates they may have an evolution (even more so Salandit) while Minior and Turtonator's HP may indicate they do not evolve.

Last edited:
I'm not exactly sure if those designs are final (I hope they are though) or not, but the middle stages do wonder me a bit. If they're 3 stages like usual, how would Popplio go from a male-like design in its initial stage to a feminine one in its final stage? I would really like to the in-between for that.

As for the secret, I think that they will function like Rockruff in that they change depending on the version you get even if they're technically the same Pokemon. With the fact that the starters and Rockruff apparently share a connection, I think this might be it.
Uh, what exactly is male-like about its design? The blue color? I mean, it is based off a young sea lion and there's nothing indicating whether it is supposed to look masculine or not. Overall it looks pretty gender-neutral. Unless ugly=masculine, in which case I agree lul. Honestly, the leaked Evo looks just fine and I, for one, would be perfectly happy with it and with it alone.

Moving onto the secret: I don't think the secret are split-evolutionary lines, otherwise there'd be no reason to reveal them separately. I think the 'shared' secret is simply how the starters are also somehow influenced by Solgaleo & Lunala, but not quite like Rockruff.

I don't like the siren because it kind of completely changes the theme, just sounds completely out of the blue (ayyyy) and honestly yeah I do wish there was a more masculine design for a mostly male Pokemon. I'm starting with Rowlett anyways so why should I care. :]

I don't like the siren because it kind of completely changes the theme, just sounds completely out of the blue (ayyyy) and honestly yeah I do wish there was a more masculine design for a mostly male Pokemon. I'm starting with Rowlett anyways so why should I care. :]
I personally don't mind a more feminine design for the Water-type starter, to be frank. After all, we already got a more female-like Grass-type starter (Meganium) and a female-like Fire-type starter (Delphox), so it would be about time to get a more female-like Water-type starter.

I personally don't mind a more feminine design for the Water-type starter, to be frank. After all, we already got a more female-like Grass-type starter (Meganium) and a female-like Fire-type starter (Delphox), so it would be about time to get a more female-like Water-type starter.
As a Mexican it is honestly hard to look a fox as feminine, this little badasses are sturdy little dogs that can even open Cars and enter inside of them from the engine in order to get food.

Delphox looks more like a miracle worker from Japan folklore or a Shintoist priest given how its fur is positioned and the face looks like a mask thanks to the ear fur, both roles where males only as well, the double pun on gender comes from the witch elements.

Honestly I dislike calling it a siren, even if the medieval folks went full retard here his inspiration comes from the mermaids and the Selkies more than anything, Sirens are bird like creatures by origin even if the romance languages mixed them up(heck in Spanish mermaid, siren and air horn share a word).

I would have prefer another design instead of an obvious Leanan Sidhe fairy archetype for Popplio3 but honestly this is fine and Pokémon as fuck, puntastic to the core.

I feel tomorrow will be quite large in terms of an update. So stoked. /o/

I'd like to know about leafage for tomorrow. Could be our 1st priority grass move.

I feel Leafage is just a Grass-type version of Ember and Water Gun.
Isn't that technically Razor Leaf or Vine Whip? Or even Absorb.

Edit: Actually, possibly not. Water Gun and Ember both have 100% accuracy and 40 bp, and none of the moves I listed have both of those things.

Last edited:
All the Alola Forms apparently have a higher Base HP than their non-Alola counterparts (Raticate has base 55 HP, Vulpix has 43, Ninetales has 73, Raichu has 60, and Exeggutor has 95) so this may be an indication that Alola Formes do in fact have different stats than non-alola Pokemon.

Also: Pyukumuku with possibly base 100 HP? that's a max of 404HP to work with and potentially abuse... Although i'm not 100% sure how amazing it would be since it may be able to survive a hit and deal considerably less damage. Stufful having a good amount of Base HP before it evolves makes me wonder how tanky Bewear will be.

EDIT: Also Salandit's and Comfey's HP indicates they may have an evolution (even more so Salandit) while Minior and Turtonator's HP may indicate they do not evolve.
What really stood out to me was Rowlet's HP...I don't think we ever had a starter that hit such a high bar at a first stage. Granted this could also be a calculation error on my part (He hits 23 HP @ lvl 5 in the Battle Royale). Also, if this data is any indication, I'm starting to wonder if Alola will introduce a lot of bulky mons. For example, Gumshoos, at average, has a higher HP stat than most Route 1 Ratatta clone evolutions, barring Diggersby.

I have a feeling that A-Raticate is going to be trading in speed for bulk. I'm expecting his speed to drop to 70 or so

What really stood out to me was Rowlet's HP...I don't think we ever had a starter that hit such a high bar at a first stage. Granted this could also be a calculation error on my part (He hits 23 HP @ lvl 5 in the Battle Royale). Also, if this data is any indication, I'm starting to wonder if Alola will introduce a lot of bulky mons. For example, Gumshoos, at average, has a higher HP stat than most Route 1 Ratatta clone evolutions, barring Diggersby.

I have a feeling that A-Raticate is going to be trading in speed for bulk. I'm expecting his speed to drop to 70 or so
I was thinking about that and came to the conclusion that the HP IVs are possibly random, which would make nailing down an actual HP stat a bit more tricky. (And does push my assessment of Minior from "Most likely doesn't evolve" to "May have an evolution.")

Even then, A-Raticate is still a very good indication of Alola Forms having different stats since that range still puts the base HP value 16 points above non-Alola Raticate's HP at minimum. The others have a base HP that falls in the range of the suggested HP values, so it is possible they may be the same.

I'm not exactly sure if those designs are final (I hope they are though) or not, but the middle stages do wonder me a bit. If they're 3 stages like usual, how would Popplio go from a male-like design in its initial stage to a femmenine one in its final stage? I would really like to the in-between for that.
It's not 'male to female' design it's 'performer to bigger performer' from a clown to a diva; clowns tend to be part of the side show, a diva's singing is the main attraction (mermaid= siren in popular culture a lot of the time, hence the femenine apperance)

Rowlett "shoots" its feathers/arrows so it becomes an archer

if anything it's Litten's evolution that makes no sense, from 'cool an collected' to 'angry dirty figther' has little(n) to no logical progression so far

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Hmm, if I was transitioning the Starters into their leaked/rumored final evos this is what I would do:

Rowlet: This one has no problem. Rowlet already is said to fire its feathers so it becoming an archer isn't a stretch.
Litten: For it to become a Heel Wrestler I would say the mid evolution would have to be the one that introduced its Dark-typing. Make Litten's mid evo into a street cat/street thug combination, probably a yankee-based appearance because Japan.
Popplio: To go from circus performer to a siren singer the mid evo I would say should be like a job inbetween them. Maybe have the mid evo be some kind of dancing Pokemon. Also I would leave the Fairy-type till its final evolution.

Reactions: Mq
Honestly I would prefer water psychic for the "leaked" Popplio3, his hair is apparently made of a veil of water formed by hydrokinesis. I'm not hating on fairy, but honestly it's a ridiculous defensive and offensive typing to slap on a non mega starter balance wise.

Apparently no matter how hard I pray we will never get a fire/rock pokemon of 80+ base speed, seriously fire+rock stab is really ridiculous when you think about it.

I don't expect the starters middle form revealed tomorrow though, I expect more overworld zones or more hints with "snap" and customization to happen before those.

With the recent posts on the starters' leaked evolutions, I wanted to point out something that might clarify Litten's leaked 3rd stage. I'll put this in a spoiler tag to respect those who have been avoiding leaks.

Litten's leaked 3rd stage is most likely a reference to the famous Japanese wrestling persona, Tiger Mask, which also currently has a shounen anime called Tiger Mask W that just started airing in Japan yesterday, Oct. 2. The Tiger Mask W anime will continue running up until at least the winter season, just enough time to coincide with the release of Sun / Moon. Hmm, coincidence? Or maybe Gamefreak's trying to ride the hype of a kid's anime based on a popular Japanese icon?

Now, google "Tiger Mask Anime," and take a good look at the stripe pattern on the Tiger Mask's forehead. It's not an exact match to Litten's forehead pattern, nor that of the leaked 3rd stage's, but I wouldn't be surprised if the designers just simplified the pattern to make it easier on the eyes. The Tiger Mask pattern has a few extra horizontal stripes, but for the most part, matches up well with Litten's forehead pattern.

Honestly, the more I think about it, the more Litten's leaked 3rd form starts to make sense. Leak =/= confirmed, but I would actually be very surprised if the leaked starter evolutions aren't true at this point (on top of the obvious Mallow reference in the image among other things).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)