Gen VII: Pokemon Sun and Moon Discussion MKII

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm hoping for some information on gym leader's to end the whole "we get to make our own league" rumor. Removing gym leaders is such a huge departure from the classic formula, but I guess the games themselves should evolve too. I just don't think removing such a major component is the way to do it.
Amen, I wish for this thing to stop, the masses mentality of "you can't prove it's fake so it's true" kinda sickened me XD

Pokemon is a JRPG, JRPGS have bosses. Gym leaders and other powerful trainers are bosses. Removing Gym leaders is like removing the levelling up and moves system... It's a core element. It's not happening.
Of course it is a JRPG, we don't have permanent class hybridization nor world rulesets for character creation like on Western RPGS.

Pokémon is a JRPG that didn't color paint a long aisle nor made us mindlessly grind resources to multiply or damage potential given base damage over weapon modifier.

Thank God for that. But I'm talking about how mediocre the arguments of the pro trials faction are, specially when they kiss they feet of their favorite poketuber or quote 4chan along poke jungle and some obvious pixiv fanart as if they where the ultimate source of information, debunk them and it devolves into a big you can't prove is wrong wishlist festival...

Reactions: JES
Just because the player is no longer on a grid doesn't mean there isn't a grid, it's just now more invisible. Think of pushing puzzles in games like Legend of Zelda, they're on grids even though the player can move Link freely.
Hadn't thought about that. Personally, I feel that having an invisible grid for these strength puzzles would go against the more realistic world and environments this game seems to be trying to convey. That being said, this most likely will be the solution the developers will take anyways due to the strength puzzles being far less enjoyable otherwise.
Please, show us more of the cooler, stronger Pokemon.
The new Pokemon are cute, but we won't be using them competitively anyway.
I wouldn't say that. Most of these Pokemon have pretty unique abilities that would grant them at least some competitive niche (maybe not in OU, but somewhere in the lower tiers). I do agree that gamefreak needs to show some of the more menacing Pokemon of this region, however, as they have mostly been revealing nothing but cute or quirky Pokemon which don't seem visually threatening.

I'm hoping for some information on gym leader's to end the whole "we get to make our own league" rumor. Removing gym leaders is such a huge departure from the classic formula, but I guess the games themselves should evolve too. I just don't think removing such a major component is the way to do it.
This. Also sort of the same thing for no more Mega Evolutions.

Pokemon is a JRPG, JRPGS have bosses. Gym leaders and other powerful trainers are bosses. Removing Gym leaders is like removing the levelling up and moves system... It's a core element. It's not happening.
If they ever did go down the route of removing Gym Leaders, they would probably include bosses in some other form so bosses wouldn't be removed completely such as including more bosses related to the evil team or something like that. Still, I'd rather keep Gym Leaders.

As for the new video, I want to see Gym Leaders, Regions, Megas, pretty much everything that hasn't been revealed yet. I also want to see the evil team of Gen 7 (the evil team is another staple of Pokemon that shouldn't be removed). 6 hours 40 minutes hype!

Please, show us more of the cooler, stronger Pokemon.
The new Pokemon are cute, but we won't be using them competitively anyway.

Oh, and gym leaders or their substitutes please.
Well, it's possible that some of the pokemon have evolutions that we just haven't seen yet.

As for the new information, I wouldn't mind seeing more new pokemon, but I would definitely much rather see gym leaders, the other islands, or new megas. I doubt gym leaders are going away. It's a core part of the franchise.

I really want megas to be gone because of power (and speed creep) but megas were revealed at mid July or something in XY so it wouldn't surprise me if at around this time they reveal Megas for this gen. Around the same gap until the game is released.

I really want megas to be gone because of power (and speed creep)
Well Megas are balanced by only having one per team + giving up an item. They aren't going to be removed. They build hype, they are a perfect tool. At the very least, only a few new megas will appear, but I guess we'll wait and see.

Well Megas are balanced by only having one per team + giving up an item. They aren't going to be removed. They build hype, they are a perfect tool. At the very least, only a few new megas will appear, but I guess we'll wait and see.
Scizor is really one of my favorite Pokemon, if not in my top 3, but Pokemon like Mega Scizor and Mega Diancie and even Pokemon like Zard X are just so absurdly strong. Being able to practically OHKO Kyurem-B with Bullet Punch while having that much bulk is kind of insane. Same with +1 Zard X practically being able to OHKO Azu. But I guess you're right in the hype factor. I guess I do hope they buff Infernape somehow....

Not like GameFreak cares about balance, they made Mega Mence and Mega Rayquaza...

Last edited:
>>> People still whining about megas YEARS after they were introduced. People said they wouldn't add any in ORAS and it was only an XY gimmick. It's not, and for the last time it's going to stay unless proven otherwise. That is such a tired discussion and at this point is like people debating about stealth rock and scald. They exist in the game, get over it.

Really, how many times are you going to wish list on this topic? Does it add anything to what we know about this game? Why not talk about what we know?

Pokemon is not a game about competitive balance. That's why we tier things on this site. Gamefreak is trying to make a fun all-ages game. That includes insanely powerful things kids feel awesome using like Mega Rayquaza. It's really not hard to get.

ANYWAY, today is nuu news day. Hopefully it's something that brings in new conversations to this thread.

Last edited:
Scizor is really one of my favorite Pokemon, if not in my top 3, but Pokemon Mega Scizor and Mega Diancie and even Pokemon like Zard X are just so absurdly strong. Being able to practically OHKO Kyurem-B with Bullet Punch while having that much bulk is kind of insane. Same with +1 Zard X practically being able to OHKO Azu. But I guess you're right in the hype factor. I guess I do hope they buff Infernape somehow....

Not like GameFreak cares about balance, they made Mega Mence and Mega Rayquaza...
Fair enough. Megas should be used to buff weaker Pokemon or more obscure ones rather than the already strong ones.

Also yeah this feels like its going round in circles. The new news should hopefully give us some better stuff to talk about.

Hadn't thought about that. Personally, I feel that having an invisible grid for these strength puzzles would go against the more realistic world and environments this game seems to be trying to convey. That being said, this most likely will be the solution the developers will take anyways due to the strength puzzles being far less enjoyable otherwise.
I mean, in XY diagonal movement was really shown as less grid-like and strength puzzles were still only horizontal and vertical, I doubt they're going to change it because the chances of getting stuck are like 20x higher.

I've been thinking recently that game freak has really been stepping up its game. Every aspect we've seen of SM so far is hype af, the graphics look amazing, and their marketing is just as stellar as always, or perhaps even better (see Super Bowl 2016). And then we have the advent of Pokemon GO, with so many old fans coming back to the game, so many people who would have called pokemon players nerds not one month ago now playing religiously, and things like 'pidgey' and 'weedle' now being household names, things are really starting to look up. Not to mention all the money I'm sure GO would have racked up for the company by now would go towards more investment in pokemon, resulting in even better games and player experiences. They're even giving a monetary prize of $1000 to the winner of VGC now, which is a huge step forward for the company, and would only make even more players turn to the competitive side of the game. Sure, $1000 is nothing compared to League or DOTA, but for a game whose main focus isn't even a competitive one it's not bad at all. All in all, I'm finally starting to feel like I chose the right game to invest so much of my time into.

I don't think that the Pokemon they have shown us are just basic Pokemon. If they are indeed basic Pokemkn then I think their competitive use is not high. In my opinion the Pokemon we know about can evolve and that means they got a lot of potential.

Ye definately hoping to see some Megas not only because their cool but to end the discussion about wether they will be in this Gen or not. Lol.

>>> People still whining about megas YEARS after they were introduced. People said they wouldn't add any in ORAS and it was only an XY gimmick. It's not, and for the last time it's going to stay unless proven otherwise. That is such a tired discussion and at this point is like people debating about stealth rock and scald. They exist in the game, get over it.

Really, how many times are you going to wish list on this topic? Does it add anything to what we know about this game? Why not talk about what we know?

Pokemon is not a game about competitive balance. That's why we tier things on this site. Gamefreak is trying to make a fun all-ages game. That includes insanely powerful things kids feel awesome using like Mega Rayquaza. It's really not hard to get.

ANYWAY, today is nuu news day. Hopefully it's something that brings in new conversations to this thread.
Wow, can you be any ruder towards another person who just spoke his opinion? We don't have any information whatsoever yet about megas in SM so it's a cointoss right now, which means your statement is invalid. Besides, the "tiers" are not competitive either. But that's a topic that doesn't belong in this thread. Btw, thanks for your very contructive post. It contributed very much to this thread.

ANYWAY, I'm looking forward to this month's CoroCoro to see what kind of lore/flavor/story info we get in the promised "Alola Southern Islands Region Guide".

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
Whats really funny about Skarmory and Salamence is that they actually do have idle animations where they flap their wings (Skarmory I'll admit is a strange case, but I'm sure there could be a way to make it work). The fact they have those indicate that GF CAN make animations making them flap their wings, but for some reason they opted not to...
They've also both got animations where they're standing on the ground -- their amie animations.

I mean, in XY diagonal movement was really shown as less grid-like and strength puzzles were still only horizontal and vertical, I doubt they're going to change it because the chances of getting stuck are like 20x higher.
that one sliding puzzle in the XY ice area that required diagonal movement to reach a TM completely stumped me for a while

or perhaps even better (see Super Bowl 2016).
You mean that ad that didn't even advertise anything at all?

Not to mention all the money I'm sure GO would have racked up for the company by now would go towards more investment in pokemon, resulting in even better games and player experiences.
Most of that money is going to Niantic, not nintendo or GF. They're only getting a little bit because of IP royalties. (Look at the recent news regarding nintendo's stock prices -- retarded investors made nintendo's stock shoot up because of GO, then nintendo said "sorry guys, we didn't make that" and it went straight back down again)

They're even giving a monetary prize of $1000 to the winner of VGC now, which is a huge step forward for the company, and would only make even more players turn to the competitive side of the game. Sure, $1000 is nothing compared to League or DOTA, but for a game whose main focus isn't even a competitive one it's not bad at all.
$10,000, not $1000 ($25,000 for TCG players). And for everyone who isn't in the top 8, their prizes are still too small to even cover most travel costs.

It's something, sure, but they need to do more than just increase prizes if they want to grow the competitive scene.

Wow, can you be any ruder towards another person who just spoke his opinion? We don't have any information whatsoever yet about megas in SM so it's a cointoss right now, which means your statement is invalid. Besides, the "tiers" are not competitive either. But that's a topic that doesn't belong in this thread. Btw, thanks for your very contructive post. It contributed very much to this thread.

ANYWAY, I'm looking forward to this month's CoroCoro to see what kind of lore/flavor/story info we get in the promised "Alola Southern Islands Region Guide".
For those of us that have been following the discussion thread on a daily basis that topic has been discussed to death. This is not a matter of rudeness, I assure you if I wanted to be rude I could have.

Posters have been warned to stay away from that topic over and over and over again.

Please, explain how my statement is invalid. Because the point of this thread and forum is to discuss things that we know or can make educated guesses about. Constant noise about removing a popular mechanic is pointless and in a hundred plus pages of discussion has achieved nothing.

Mega evolutions may or may not stick. It's PROBABLE that they do. There are a number of reasons because of that. Read past threads for those. Pointless wish listing isn't something allowed here and if that's something you want to do there are other forums out there.

We could try to be nice to each other? I agree that Mega Evolution has been discussed a lot and that the discussion on it basically goes round in a circle.

Your statement is invalid because we don't currently know if megas are still in the game so how can "we know" about it?

EDIT: Or that its going to stay until proven otherwise. Why not its going until proven otherwise?

Last edited:
It surprises me that Pokemon like Salamence and Skarmory are still flying. They look like Pokemon who would rather be on the ground and Salamence definitely looks more menacing on the ground. I know sky battles are a thing in XY but they haven't appeared since. Maybe they're returning this gen?

All I'd like to see is more Pokemon based on reptiles. There have been way too few of them so far that have been revealed this generation.

Anything else would be a bonus :P

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)