SPOILERS! General Pokémon Anime Discussion

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Rather surprised to see the elemental monkeys getting a prominent role in an official Pokemon media after all this time.

After years of them being shat on and disliked despite the Pans actually being likable and cute and continued neglect from GF in terms of their appearances in the games, it's a pleasant surprise that they actually get to show up and get a good spotlight in something.

The monkeys are finally getting a proper chance.

Considering what the monkeys are all about, it's not too surprising that a series like this would grab them. might have helped production a little if they could reuse molds or patterns as a base. Plus they're very colorful so that probably helps sell the tropic setting and the vibrant style of the show.

Actually wonder if the creators might have been a little inspired by this ancient Tropical Beach card

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Stop sleeping on this people. Let the soul flow through your veins.
How can we be sleeping on this, it hasn't been released yet?

Speaking of sleeping, they've been doing a promotion centered around Snorlax (it's also a subtle promotion for Pokemon Sleep). Titled "Project Snorlax", it is much more than just a shadow Pokemon Sleep promo but they're commissioned a short manga to be made and a short film. In addition they released a short live action video of a woman (who I'm guessing her favorite Pokemon is Snorlax) discovering the Sleeping Pokemon suddenly appeared in her home and how they spend the day together:
Not necessarily anime, though still an entertaining video.

KaenSoul

Shared:Power Little Knight
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
Community Leader
The new anime doesn't hold back with the whole "do people eat meat in the pokémon world?" thing, huh
lechonk and miltank.png
Wonder how this will be localized.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
The new anime doesn't hold back with the whole "do people eat meat in the pokémon world?" thing, huh
Wonder how this will be localized.
:sv/veluza::sv/klawf:
OUR SPARE FLESH IS DELICIOUS! DO NOT THINK OF THE IMPLICATIONS!

Honestly at this point we're like one or two gens away of having a pig and bovine Pokemon which sheds bacon and steaks.

We are past The Implication we just straight up have ham and stuff and I am pretty sure there's some dex entries that do say that not even the regeneratable flesh is delicious on some Pokemon

It's just text!

First season made it blatant, chicken legs and what looks like a crab is on the plate.

This is from the first St. Anne episode btw.
Wasn't the first season/early series also loose with the idea that Pokemon are the only "animal" life? I know there's the infamous Raichu entry mentioning an Indian Elephant that was later rewritten to Copperajah,

I'd say later Gens are more damning because they continue to depict meat products AFTER committing to Pokemon not existing alongside mundane animals that could be livestock/farming/fishing targets.

I think they kind of veered away from depicting any sort of identifiable meat product after the first season. Lots of vegetables, fruits, breads, or nondescript filler.
It's in, or was in, the style guide for a time iirc

it's what made that Takoyaki vendor pretty funny when that showed up in Journeys. And obviously now we've got Picnics, so I think they're just fine with it now.

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
I'm liking what I'm hearing from the dub, can't wait to see the full dub of the first episode and more of Horizons dubbed.

The voices sound pretty great, we have Alejandra Reynoso as Liko and Crispin Freeman as Friede thus far.

Crispin Freeman is a fantastic addition, not only is he an absolutely amazing and phenomenal voice actor who always elevates any dub he's in, but once upon a time back in the OS days he was a script writer for the dub at the time, so now he's coming back to Pokemon in its new era this time as a voice actor for Friede.

Liko's voice is a bit surprising but it works well in its own way. Also it seems Sprigatito gets dubbed over but not saying its name, but rather with "Meow" instead of the Japanese "Nya".

Hope they reveal the date it starts airing, whether in Canada or on Netflix here in the US, soon.

Probably won't get the date until To Be A Master airs in September, at least.

I think they've been going in batches of 3 months, so maybe it'll be a December release?

Most of the voices sound fine, but

-Friede's voice will take some getting used to. It doesn't fit his look as well as the Japanese voice. Sounds too old.

-Amethio sounds too much like ben shapιro

Most of the voices sound fine, but

-Friede's voice will take some getting used to. It doesn't fit his look as well as the Japanese voice. Sounds too old.

I almost have the opposite issue on Friede, because most of my exposure to his role is as Itachi Uchiha, who he plays a lot more as a Stoic/Intimidating late teens/early 20's role, compared to Friede looking closer to late 20's/early 30's in design and clearly having a lot more energy than Itachi presents.

If nothing else it speaks to the range the guy has at least

Today's episode went from 0 to 100 real quick.

I was kinda expecting for Spinel to be all talk and no bite but dang, he really just destroyed the Rising Volt Tacklers by himself, no lackeys (Amethio, you're BAD at your job lol). The last time I remember a Beheyeem was at the antagonist side was Super Mystery Dungeon, and it involved memory erasure as well. But anyways, they got the pendant now and Liko seems to have forgotten more than just it (again, why do they leave her unsupervised? oh well at least this time there's consequences...). I'm not sure about Iono's involvement in the next episode or what role she would play here but let's see...

:psygrump:

Last edited:

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
Today's episode went from 0 to 100 real quick.

I was kinda expecting for Spinel to be all talk and no bite but dang, he really just destroyed the Rising Volt Tacklers by himself, no lackeys (Amethio, you're BAD at your job lol). The last time I remember a Beheyeem was at the antagonist side was Super Mystery Dungeon, and it involved memory erasure as well. But anyways, they got the pendant now and Liko seems to have forgotten more than just it (again, why do they leave her unsupervised? oh well at least this time there's consequences...). I'm not sure about Iono's involvement in the next episode or what role she would play here but let's see...
That said, while Spinel was much more calculating and tactical than Amethio (who just kept brute forcing his way through), if there's one thing Amethio has over Spinel, it's that Amethio knew Liko and the pendant belong together and that the pendant is useless without her presence. As such he always tried to take custody of Liko herself because he knew she was necessary. Spinel does not seem to realize this, so he just went for the pendant itself without taking Liko, actually separating them which he doesn't realize would render the pendant useless. This may end up being Spinel's undoing if he doesn't ever come to this realization and would likely result in Gibeon considering him a failure as well, like he did with Amethio.

It will certainly be interesting how they try to reclaim the pendant back after snapping Liko out of her amnesia, however. The recent episode has certainly ended on quite the cliffhanger.

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
Apologies for the double post, though since it's been nearly a week I guess it won't matter much.

But anyway, watched yesterday's episode. It was a fantastic episode starring Iono, and her doing a collab stream with Nidothing was absolutely brilliant. Really love how they're incorporating the Paldea Gym Leaders' Gym Tests even if the cast isn't directly challenging them for a badge.

Dot and Iono actually know each other, and it seems Iono was an inspiration for Dot to become Nidothing.

They did a collab to find Liko to help the Rising Volt Tacklers in their search for her. It pulls a similar approach to her Gym Test, whosawhatsit, except looking for Liko, and the game of tag ends up being a way for Liko to slowly regain her memories one by one until Roy and Dot end up finding her. Seems they are ready to fire their counterattack on Spinel now that they found Liko and her memory is back.

Spinel seems to be stalling their time more, using false leads to misdirect the Rising Volt Tacklers to the wrong town.

Next episode will be more of Dot and Quaxly.

Screenshot 2023-08-03 113821.png

Oh so this is why Misty really wanted to catch that Clauncher /j

It was a neat episode, Iono just kinda ended up making stuff more complicated with the whole chase but hey that's fitting considering she the absolute wor-Anyways, now that Dot went out of her shell and is making an effort to go out and assist her friends, I'm beginning to feel this new trio of trainers: her, Roy and Liko. It's very likely things will get solved for this next episode and the pendant is taken back, but I hope Spinel doesn't get totally ruined since he's shown to be pretty effective as a villain. And hopefully Liko gets sth more to do aside from being reassured in her journey for like the 2nd or 3rd time now.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
It's very likely things will get solved for this next episode and the pendant is taken back, but I hope Spinel doesn't get totally ruined since he's shown to be pretty effective as a villain. And hopefully Liko gets sth more to do aside from being reassured in her journey for like the 2nd or 3rd time now.
Hm, well the pendant/"Terapagos" only reacts to Liko, so as long as they don't have Liko the pendant is useless. Thus, there's no harm for the Explorers to hold onto the pendant. At the end of the episode we see Spinel puts the pendant in a black box, I can see them doing a fake out where the Volt Tacklers spend the majority of the episode focused on getting the box and finally do... only to reveal its a decoy and Spinel had already sent the real box to Gibeon. And, if they do get the pendant back, they could have Spinel reveal he has made a radar that can track the pendant's energy frequency so the Explorers can handle the situation more leisurely.

Eitherway, this who situation should be a wake-up call to Liko that she can't just rely on the Volt Tacklers alone, she herself needs to be strong. Either to get the pendant back or to protect it, this could be a way to maybe have Liko challenge the Paldea League.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 6)