SPOILERS! General Pokémon Anime Discussion

I saw a theory that.... And possibly given credence on latest episode. Spoiler.

Remember Ann, Liko's roommate back in school in first episode? She had energetic personality and little fangs. Liko told her about her pendant. When summer break came, she went to vacation, and right then, Amethio came and the entire journey started. Some theorised that Ann was secretly Explorer member planted in Kanto, and her leaving would make Liko not suspect her after having met him.

Now, after the crew fought back and got her pendant, we see Spinel in Explorer meeting with new other members, potential future enemies to face. One of them? A spunky girl that happily rubbed his failure to steal the pendant, with little fangs. Given that she could talk trash to Spinel, it can be assumed that if true, Ann is an admin on same level with him and Amethio.
Not only that, she got an Oshawott.

That said, Ann was voiced by Yuna Ōgata. The new Explorer admin is voiced by Ikue Ōtani (yes, Pikachu himself)
We get confirmation of new Explorer members:
Onyx, Agate, and Sango (Coral)

Last edited:
This episode was so great?! Dot standing up for her friends, and their encounter with Spinel was pretty exciting. I'm beginning to question why all the Explorers seem to be on the dark about the pendant, Spinel didn't know about Liko being connected to it until now, and he omitted part of his report to his collegues and superiors. Is there sth else the boss of the Explorers know that they don't?

ALSO YESSSSSSSSS DOT REVEALED LIKO SHE IS NIDOTHING, THIS DUMB 'LIKO IS CLUELESS GAG' CAN FINALLY BE PUT TO REST FOREVER.

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

New members of the Explorers have been revealed, namely new admins.

In addition to Amethio and Spinel, there are three other administrators: Onyx, Agate, and Coral (Sango in Japanese). Quite a colorful cast of admins amongst our antagonist organization.

Amethio (amethyst) and Spinel were a giveaway but the admins of the Explorers, much like many of the admins of game-based villain teams, have a common theme in their names, in this case it's all gemstones.

The other three are sure to make an appearance, but that's not the end for Amethio or Spinel either: they are bound to make more appearances themselves as the story progresses.

New members of the Explorers have been revealed, namely new admins.

In addition to Amethio and Spinel, there are three other administrators: Onyx, Agate, and Coral (Sango in Japanese). Quite a colorful cast of admins amongst our antagonist organization.

Amethio (amethyst) and Spinel were a giveaway but the admins of the Explorers, much like many of the admins of game-based villain teams, have a common theme in their names, in this case it's all gemstones.

The other three are sure to make an appearance, but that's not the end for Amethio or Spinel either: they are bound to make more appearances themselves as the story progresses.
Calling it now that Coral is going to give off a ditzy persona but will be one of the strongest of the admins. She's going to have a Tinkaton that allures with its cuteness and then slams them with Gigaton Hammer. I can see her having a bunch of cute Pokémon who are actually really terrifying, kinda like Harley's Wigglytuff from AG.

Agate looks kinda cold? Perhaps she'll use like ruthless, more menacing Pokémon - Hydreigon? Bisharp, maybe Kingambit?

Onyx is gonna have big brutish Pokémon - Aggron, Hariyama etc.

You know with all the new game characters shown with the DLC and in Scarlet/Violet's base game, it really surprises me the Horizon's anime is filling out the cast with OC's (anime original characters), for both the main cast and villains. Like we got Nemona in the anime and some of the Paldea Gym leaders will show up, but for the most part the anime created it's own unique cast and these new villains don't even resemble typical Pokemon characters, they look like they can be from any other anime.

It really feels like the anime does not even have to adapt the games anymore like they did for almost the entire Ash anime, where they were always forced to immediately focus on a new set of pokemon, companions, etc. every time the gen changed, often resulting in the end of the previous one being rushed only keeping Ash and Team Rocket.

Now the Horizon's cast is filled with all anime OC's, most of the game characters from Scarlet/Violet and the DLC probably won't even show up, and it's weird how the "shackles have been lifted" so to speak when for 25+ years the anime staff felt like slaves to the games every gen, at least prior to Journey's. It really feels like there was a change in upper management or something where the anime staff don't have to advertise the game or its characters anymore like they used to.

I haven't been watching the anime since SM (my favorite), can y'all run me down on the strengths and weaknesses of the new show and if I would like it or not?

I mostly really don't care for main anime Pokemon shonen because I feel like it's always going to be limited by marketing/For Kids restraints. For instance, I hate XYZ and think making Ash feel more like a realistic kid (bubbly, makes mistakes, energetic, learns about the world) rather than an unrealistic adult did the anime well. I did not watch much of Journeys, mostly because I didn't care about Gou, but I did not find it to be a negative viewing experience for what I saw, just not that into it because characters.

I am down for a more serious take on Pokemon officially, but only if it is not formulaic and has a more character focused structure.

So, with that information, should I try the new season?

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
Oh yeah late to the party on this one but...

A mini webseries called "Paldean Winds" based on Scarlet and Violet will be coming soon.

They are taking the same approach as Sword and Shield and Legends: Arceus, with a webseries focusing on these games, Paldean Winds is to SV as Twilight Wings is to SwSh and Hisuian Snow is to PLA.

Supposedly they are continuing this approach of mini webseries starring the games while the main anime is more loose, being multi-region and telling its own story with both Journeys and Horizons.

Finally watched the Arceus Chronicles and man.
When this thing was first revealed I kind of figured time travel or Distortions would be involved and we'd get a mostly-original or hyper-abbreviated version of LA's events that had more stuff from modern Galaxy than expected. Or at least more LA stuff, in general. And then after reading a breakdown of it and watching it myself...

All the LA stuff is limited to the Sinnoh Festival + a very brief montage at the end and it's otherwise an anime version of the Heatran subplot that acts a sequel to the anime's Galaxy plot (albeit without Charon & Looker probably since BDSP doesnt have them...). Not a bad special, and I liked all the references to the DP anime and the monstrous super Heatran was fun, but kind of weird it didn't do more with LA. Like the Heatran was probably meant to be a stand in for frenzied nobles (& the pokemon going berserk, Alphas?), but they never use similar language and it goes a step above, and they don't do any sort of balm-based thing to calm it down or anything. Stuff like that. You could cut out that first episode almost entirely you know?

It's kinda impossible to condense the story of the game to just 4ish episodes, especially with all the characters the game introduced, so it makes sense the anime didn't try to do that. Also how would they even do it, have Ash, Go (or Dawn) travel back in time and meet Dawn's ancestor? It really would not fit. So the writers made the Arceus specials a direct sequel to DP's Galactic finale, and acts as an epilogue to it (literally over 13 years later).

That being said they could have made seperate game specials for Legends Arceus like Twilight Wings, Evolutions or these upcoming Paldea shorts, even if they would probably only be 5-7 minute episodes.

It's kinda impossible to condense the story of the game to just 4ish episodes, especially with all the characters the game introduced, so it makes sense the anime didn't try to do that. Also how would they even do it, have Ash, Go (or Dawn) travel back in time and meet Dawn's ancestor? It really would not fit. So the writers made the Arceus specials a direct sequel to DP's Galactic finale, and acts as an epilogue to it (literally over 13 years later).

That being said they could have made seperate game specials for Legends Arceus like Twilight Wings, Evolutions or these upcoming Paldea shorts, even if they would probably only be 5-7 minute episodes.
I mean even if they didn't want to hypercondense it, they could have still done more stuff to allude to it. It's their plot they have pretty free reign to do anything even if they didn't want to have it be Legends Arceus: The Anime.

And...yeah sure? Why not go back in time? The series has done that multiple times. How would it not fit? They had no problems sending everyone to a different AU for the other BDSP tie in.

Or heck just drop someone from the HIsui time back over and have fun with that in some fashion before sending them back.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I mean even if they didn't want to hypercondense it, they could have still done more stuff to allude to it. It's their plot they have pretty free reign to do anything even if they didn't want to have it be Legends Arceus: The Anime.

And...yeah sure? Why not go back in time? The series has done that multiple times. How would it not fit? They had no problems sending everyone to a different AU for the other BDSP tie in.

Or heck just drop someone from the HIsui time back over and have fun with that in some fashion before sending them back.
I suggested this as the scenario for such a two- or three-parter back in 2021:
For the "time travel" scenario, well first Ash & Goh would probably have to be made oblivious they time travelled otherwise getting back to the present would be their main priority. But if they don't know they would just think they're in another region, like I imagine Ash & Goh being on a boat heading to Jubilife City, Dialga time travels them for some reason, and they pull into port in Hisui. "Huh, this isn't Sinnoh?" Ash says. "I think I see the problem, this sign says Jubilife VILLAGE. We got on the wrong boat!" Goh would point out and conclude. They'll get off figuring out what to do next, either running into Kamado or going to the Galaxy Team HQ cause they're told that's where foreigners usually go to. There Ash & Goh meet the staff, they agree to help Ash & Goh get back to Kanto, Ash & Goh somehow end up joining the Exploration Team, and shenanigans ensue. Ash will have moments of deja vu when he sees the Galaxy Team logo, Kamado, Cyllage maybe, and maybe some other ancestors; but since he doesn't know he's in the past will just shrug them off as coincidence. And then when Ash & Goh finally sail back to Kanto, Dialga will put them back in their time with neither of them none the wiser. At most it'll be two or three parter, but I can't see them doing anything major with it.
Though I think I posted this before we discovered that Ingo was in the game, lol.

Finally watched the Arceus Chronicles and man.
When this thing was first revealed I kind of figured time travel or Distortions would be involved and we'd get a mostly-original or hyper-abbreviated version of LA's events that had more stuff from modern Galaxy than expected. Or at least more LA stuff, in general. And then after reading a breakdown of it and watching it myself...

All the LA stuff is limited to the Sinnoh Festival + a very brief montage at the end and it's otherwise an anime version of the Heatran subplot that acts a sequel to the anime's Galaxy plot (albeit without Charon & Looker probably since BDSP doesnt have them...). Not a bad special, and I liked all the references to the DP anime and the monstrous super Heatran was fun, but kind of weird it didn't do more with LA. Like the Heatran was probably meant to be a stand in for frenzied nobles (& the pokemon going berserk, Alphas?), but they never use similar language and it goes a step above, and they don't do any sort of balm-based thing to calm it down or anything. Stuff like that. You could cut out that first episode almost entirely you know?
I haven't watched the special, but that description kinda reminds me of the Manaphy movie, which is titled Pokemon Ranger and yet it plays just like any other Pokemon movie involving "temporary new companions, meeting legendary, a lame villain wants to catch it, the gang beats him and they let go the legendary". Only Ranger-y aspect in the plot is Jackie, and he's strictly a side character.

Changing subject, Episode 18 of Pokemon Horizons my god...
It really lived up to my expectations. Both direction and animation knocked it out of the park! Plot wise we already knew that Liko's mom and Friede already met but now we know she introduced him to Captain Pikachu, whose ability of rising to the skies with Volt Tackle inspired Friede to break out from his boundaries and explore the world. Plus it's really heartwarming to see how everyones' paths has lead them together in this journey, even Liko, who now Friede is repaying the favor to her mother. On a minor note I also like that Dot is getting more accustomed at Liko and Roy's antics. Man, I was waiting when they were going to surpass the bar those 2 first episodes have set, and now's the time. This is my new favorite Horizons episode!

Nothing says they have to actually cover the entire LA plot, but actually being within the setting might have been nice. Maybe just a one-off plot involving a Frenzied Noble and time traveling there as a result of the Sinnoh Duo or something like a Celebi, but the conflict is JUST that Noble and not the entire Space-Time Distortion plot of the games.

It's not exactly the same approach but the Mystery Dungeon Specials similarly did one-off scenarios for their respective games to fit into their smaller time slot. An Arceus special could do the same, just tweaked to account for using the main cast instead of a new one that can end on "and the adventure continues" in the setting.

Howdy y'all!

The first episode of the webseries based on SV, Paldean Winds, is now out!
I find it really interesting how all the "serious" anime productions aimed at hardcore fans make a point of using realistic animal cries instead of the iconic Pokemon speak used by most works. Makes the Pokemon feel much more...real, I guess?

Also, is it just me, or did that opening track sound like something straight out of Made in Abyss?

Last edited:
I remember Origins, Generations, and Evolutions also used realistic noises for the Pokemon, rather than Pokemon Speak. I wish the latter weren't so iconic, since it's a detail that's gotten very wrong by the main TV anime.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Going to watch the first episode of Paldean Winds hopefully tomorrow, but there's another series which just want to get my thoughts on: the TCG-based mini-series "Path to the Peak".

I'll give my overall thoughts now: When I first saw the trailer in the Pokemon Direct I was afraid it was going to be filled with cringe. And I was right! However, it wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be, especially since they had plenty of moments where they had the characters questioning the oddity happening. That said, the cringe feeling didn't quite go away, always something new popping up that made me raise an eyebrow. However, it never got too bad I wanted to stop watching and usually scenes move on quick enough.

The story is nothing groundbreaking, surprise surprise, Ava losing at the end of the 3rd episode was a surprise... mainly because the viewer may not be that aware of the TCG Championship rules (despite losing Internationals, Ava still qualifies for Worlds). The four roughly 10 minute episodes do almost feel like a parody of Shonen anime, especially the early rival turned friend subplot in episode 2 (and then said early rival getting defeated in episode 3 to set up the real challenge).

I like the art style, this is the same studio that did Bidoof's Big Break (there's even a cameo of it in Episode 3), stylistic to give it a drawn cartoon feel but able to make the characters expressive in facial and body movement. They environments were especially nice looking, a mix of simplicity but also little details here and there to make it pleasing.

Overall I think it's alright, you're definitely only watching it for the novelty factor that its a mini-series for the Pokemon TCG where the characters are acting like they're in Yu-Gi-Oh! despite the biggest thing at stake is a trophy which depicts a Pikachu holding a smaller trophy.

Path to the Peak: E1: The Club
1:20: The first Pokemon cards Ava find are her Mother's old collection. The fact this is a plausible scenario makes my 1990's bones creak. :worrycargo: Though, jokes aside, I do also find it a bit endearing of a parent (pseudo) passing down something they liked to their kids.
2:17: Club tryout montage was funny. Can't help but feel the Beekeeping and Archery Clubs are asking for a lawsuit (though apparently the beekeeping club have mutant bees which can lift whole cakes and archery club are allowed to carry their bows and arrows around school so maybe no one dares try).
3:01: TM10? Double-Edge? Hidden Power? Dig? Magical Leaf? Work Up? Ice Fang?
3:55: Let's see, which ProZD sketch to choose... this one.
4:38: Huh, another ProZD sketch already. BTW, Bulbapedia has a play-by-play for each episode incase you want to know what's going on. I'll admit I forgot that if you lose if your active Pokemon is knocked out and you have no benched Pokemon. However I also learned that a lot of major plats are being done with cards which don't exist so that feels a bit questionable (not sure if they do ever plan on making these cards available or were just made up to write a scenario around).
5:24: Ah, of course, the secret is the Heart of the Cards... aka the power to cheat via drawing the exact card you need.
6:39: I think Ava must have taken some "Oddish leafs" before coming back to the club. :psywoke:
9:30: Well Ava I hope you're ready for your first Shadow Game.

Path to the Peak: E2: Regionals
2:20: Is this supposed to be an allusion to the first episode of the anime?
2:52: I'm going to go through all of the ProZD's Cow Card sketches by the end of this, aren't I?
5:39: You know all this feels less dramatic without there being any souls stolen. :mehowth:
9:04: Hmm, Yu-Gi-Oh! Abridged joke or Kingdom Hearts reference.

Path to the Peak: E3: Internationals
0:38: 135 million likes? LOL, you wish Pokemon Company. :totodiLUL: The highest view of the current World's video is 90k.
0:48: Celestine, why are wearing a beauty mask in the middle of the day with your casual clothes on? This is more of sleepover joke than casual hanging out joke.
1:01: What radio station would be playing anime openers, let alone the one for the Orange Islands?
1:59: Yeah Ava, don't you know, Pokemon Company sometimes makes themed decks based on winners of the TCG competitions. And no, you don't see any money, you're paid in honor. :blobwizard:
2:59: Children's card game.
5:12: Dammit Weevil!
10:02: Even in card form Lucario steals the show.

Path to the Peak: E4: Worlds
0:51: Shhh, Ava's mom, don't point out the overdramatization.
1:37: Wait, Ava's mom was a teen when Holon Phantoms was out?... am I older than Ava's mom?! :psynervous:
1:52: Lol, that has to be the sassiest jerk Pikachu ever. I think at a few points this series has tried to make itself a meme, but I think we've finally found one that is clip-worthy.
2:49: So are they ever going to explain the TM10 thing?
5:13: Children's card game.
7:28: It's a stretch but I feel it counts.
9:40: Edgar might as well said "Draw your last pathetic card, Ava".

Howdy y'all!

The first episode of the webseries based on SV, Paldean Winds, is now out!
Learning Ghimmighoul's backstory and how it had it's coin stolen by Corviknight was heartbreaking. No wonder it grew up to make Corviknight's life miserable, either by blocking its defog, taking no damage from its attacks, or by Tricking it a Choice Scarf.

I'm very happy to see Tinkaton in animated form too. I liked how fluid her animations were. I also love how Corv swiftly evaded its attacks and took no damage, just like how the interaction would go in the games.

Last edited:
Learning Ghimmighoul's backstory and how it had it's coin stolen by Corviknight was heartbreaking. No wonder it grew up to make Corviknight's life miserable, either by blocking its defog, taking no damage from its attacks, or by Tricking it a Choice Scarf.

I'm very happy to see Tinkaton in animated form too. I liked how fluid her animations were. I also love how Corv swiftly evaded its attacks and took no damage, just like how the interaction would go in the games.
Funny they chose Corviknight for that role because Murkrow's Pokedex Entries said that it loves to steal shiny things, not to mention that Murkrow has the type advantage over Gimmighoul.

Okay so, these Galar episodes sure are being, something...

I liked ep 19, Murdoch didn't get much of a role in episode 18 but now we get to see his character being expanded, his love for pastry and making clients happy (and by extension why making sweets for Dot is very important to him), while his rival centered too much on being overshadowed and growing bitter. Nice stuff and resolution, with a battle that transitioned in a cook off and let go of the resentments between the two.

Ep 20 was solid, showcasing a gym leader and training Roy and Liko, while also showing the latter's flaws and a nice message about putting others' feelings over yours may not always be the solution, like what happened with the gym trainer. Except the very next episode is about the opposite, with Liko being the only person who can empathize with the Hatenna, halting the pacing for a very slow episode with a predictable outcome. The show is also very not subtle showing Liko's indecisiveness, by even showing a literal fork of the road. It's nice she gets a new team member and reinforces her goal, but this one felt uninteresting to watch as a whole.

Galar Mine two parter:

I didn't like much the first part. I felt annoyed that Roy and Liko still keep getting into dangerous situations even after having dealt with Spinel. It was also very cheesy that they could get over Moltres' energy draining but not the grown ass workers. I do appreciate that it was the first time we see Captain Pikachu beaten down, which rises the threat level of Moltres; plus the ep ends on a cliffhanger, with Friede (and Amethio) being stuck in the mine and the kids now facing consequences for their fatal mistakes and maybe Friede and Amethio must join forces to hold off this bird and-
Oh nvm Friede rescues himself at the first min of the next episode, sure who wants stakes anyways :psywoke:. So now the three just simply go back to the mine for a rematch and Moltres still gives them trouble but Liko doesn't want to give up until Arboliva's ball accidentally drops, summoning him and helping them until Moltres is calmed down...Yeah this was lame, they won this by total accident, and it's portrayed like an achievement for Liko when this was out of her control. It would've been nice if this time she planned on using Arboliva but this wasn't the case, at this point she feels like a character that stuff just happens around with her having little agency. I dunno, she seemed very promising at the start and these last episodes were development for her, but safe to say that I'm not interested on this protagonist (Roy's ok tho, and Friede is great). And oh right Amethio, I forgot you existed, like always...

No but really, this entire 'Departure arc' he really didnt accomplish much aside beating up Liko and Roy once (who are novices) and reporting stuff to his superior. We didnt get any depth regarding him, why is he doing these actions, nada. He's supposed to be this stoic badass with the edgymon, but battlewise Friede has held him off everytime or some legendary forces him to retreat. Liko is frustrating but at least she seems to have a solid path going for her, what are they even doing with Amethio?
images (3).jpeg

Last edited:

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!

A bit late to the punch, but a trailer for upcoming episodes of Horizons has come out.

Namely, the first chapter of Horizons' story, "Liko and Roy Set Off!" is coming to a close.

The next one will be called "The Shine of Terapagos".

Namely, since in yesterday's episode the pendant not only fully revealed itself to be Terapagos, but now Terapagos is no longer remaining in pendant form and is now a companion to Liko akin to Squishy (Zygarde), Poipole, and Nebby beforehand, and it seems this marks a transition to the next chapter of Liko and Roy's story.

This is certainly going to be a much different story from what we've seen beforehand in the Ash era, that much is certain.

A bit late to the punch, but a trailer for upcoming episodes of Horizons has come out.

Namely, the first chapter of Horizons' story, "Liko and Roy Set Off!" is coming to a close.

The next one will be called "The Shine of Terapagos".

Namely, since in yesterday's episode the pendant not only fully revealed itself to be Terapagos, but now Terapagos is no longer remaining in pendant form and is now a companion to Liko akin to Squishy (Zygarde), Poipole, and Nebby beforehand, and it seems this marks a transition to the next chapter of Liko and Roy's story.

This is certainly going to be a much different story from what we've seen beforehand in the Ash era, that much is certain.
Surprised to see them having Terapagos as a full party member before SV DLC2 even has a release date. Maybe it's coming out sooner than we thought?

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Surprised to see them having Terapagos as a full party member before SV DLC2 even has a release date. Maybe it's coming out sooner than we thought?
Before you even fly off to Kitakami you meet with Briar, a descendant of Heath who led the Area Zero Exploration Team and wrote the Scarlet/Violet Book, and shows you the original copy of Heath's journal. She shows the player the unedited page about the "Disk Pokemon", revealing it was Heath who named it Terapagos. She also says she wants to meet Terapagos to prove her ancestor was telling the truth. Later on, and this one you can easily miss, after retrieving the crystal piece at the Crystal Pool with Carmine, Briar shows up. Carmine will leave, though you can talk with Briar before you leave and she talks a bit more about Terapagos.

So... chances of Briar showing up in the anime?

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 6)