SPOILERS! General Pokémon Anime Discussion

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Be careful what you wish for, it's probably pure Normal
Normal did use to be the Type-changing gimmick Type (along with any other gimmick they didn't associate with a Type or specific Pokemon):
:sm/ditto::sm/eevee::sm/porygon::sm/porygon2::sm/porygon-z:
:sm/castform::sm/kecleon::sm/arceus::sm/silvally::sm/meloetta:

Though lately they've become better at having the Type-changers be a specific Type by default. If I were to throw a guess out, I would say by default Terapagos is at least part Rock, if there's a second Type in their I'd say Ice to keep with the "crystal" theme.

As much as I want Terapagos to be an ancient ghost turtle, and as much as I don't like relying on "patterns," I'd say there is a pretty good chance that GameFreak can't bring itself to not make the 3rd legendary* a dragon. The closest we've gotten to the 3rd legend being non-dragon was Necrozma, which turned out to have an ultra dragon form after all. Sure, Terapagos seems like the best chance for breaking the streak, but given that the story seems to be inspired in part by the Japanese tale of Urashima Taro, which involves going to the dragon palace, I would not bet money against dragon.

*Since somebody will undoubtedly raise the issue anyways, yes, I'm assuming that Terapagos is playing the role of the 3rd legend here, since unlike Calyrex it seems to be tied directly to the main story.

QuentinQuonce

formerly green_typhlosion
Each entity has its special trail. From onset to increase and probable disposal, handling these fields can be intricate. Desiring the proficiency of a proficient middleman can simplify this activity. When you're musing on procuring a novel enterprise or hope to apprehend the esteem of your existing venture, guidance from expertise in the vocation is obligatory.

tampa florida business
And they say computers are going to take over the world... think I'll be sleeping quite soundly for the foreseeable.

Y'know, I can't say I care much for this philosophy of 'the outcome of the battle wasn't important! You don't need to know who won!'. Just feels anti-climactic.

At least in the case of Ash's Battle Royal it did feel like it didn't matter too much, though still felt a bit lame, but this whole episode was about the Aliquis guy having a tantrum about constantly losing to Nemona. It feels narratively important to show growth if he lost again.

KaenSoul

Shared:Power Little Knight
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
Community Leader
With this "first act" now over, I really hope the show can move pass the formula most conflicts have been getting resolved with "something bad happens, Liko and Roy may lose, but then someone save them (usually Friede or one of the Lucius mons)", like they went through the same character arc over and over again on a few episodes about the kids wanting to be competent, remembering what they are fighting for, but it always comes down to Charizard/Pikachu coming to the rescue and at best they can beat the same Golduck/Rhydon while someone else saves the day. Just have someone other than Friede take the credit once in a while, so it doesn't get too repetitive and predictable.
Maybe create more situations where the kids can solve the problems with their brains or give them opponents of their level, it really feels like Friede is the lead at times.
The new op is cool, yeah.

With this "first act" now over, I really hope the show can move pass the formula most conflicts have been getting resolved with "something bad happens, Liko and Roy may lose, but then someone save them (usually Friede or one of the Lucius mons)", like they went through the same character arc over and over again on a few episodes about the kids wanting to be competent, remembering what they are fighting for, but it always comes down to Charizard/Pikachu coming to the rescue and at best they can beat the same Golduck/Rhydon while someone else saves the day. Just have someone other than Friede take the credit once in a while, so it doesn't get too repetitive and predictable.
Maybe create more situations where the kids can solve the problems with their brains or give them opponents of their level, it really feels like Friede is the lead at times.
The issue is power scaling. Liko and Roy are complete newbie trainers being thrown into fights they should never be able to win, so the writers have to result to Friede or a deus ex machina to bail them out of the situation. It wouldn't make much sense for completely inexperienced trainers to disperse of those with significantly higher power levels than themselves, but I agree that this has created repetitiveness in the way matters are resolved. This should naturally be reduced over time, as Liko and Roy become more competent trainers, although I'm not in opposition to alternative saviours (but how do we shill for Charizard/Pikachu then?). I agree with your overarching point, but I think there's a reason why it is this way, and regardless of what I don't expect Roy to be the one brain himself out of a situation. Regardless, I do hope things improve over time, because I'm enjoying the show greatly in spite of its flaws.

I get they probably needed to change the name of the air ship just for lip flap reasons but turning "Rising Volt Tacklers" to specifically "Brave Olivine" is kind of weird.

Wasn't it specifically named because the captain pikachu did a literal rising volt tackle that inspired Friede? Feel like completely tossing the pikachu connection's a bit off, yeah?

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I get they probably needed to change the name of the air ship just for lip flap reasons but turning "Rising Volt Tacklers" to specifically "Brave Olivine" is kind of weird.

Wasn't it specifically named because the captain pikachu did a literal rising volt tackle that inspired Friede? Feel like completely tossing the pikachu connection's a bit off, yeah?
The group name is still "Rising Volt Tacklers".

"Brave Olivine" is the dub name of the ship they are piloting, which in Japanese was called the "Brave Asagi". Obviously the latter part was something that needed to be translated.

Can't believe it took me so long to realize the ship is named in Japanese after an existing city in the game.
One that has a maritime port, which fits the ship's backstory as a normal boat that got turned into an airship.

Bruh, this recent episode :trode:

Addressing my main problem only, Liko and Roy could've handled that old man, who has been retired from exploration for years, and would still feel believable imo. They can defeat Zirc/Onia already without issue, I really don't see the need of Friede doing the save again at this point, and against a disposable villain of the day...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 8)