SPOILERS! General Pokémon Anime Discussion

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I want to point out that Paul in DP used mons against Roark that had a type disadvantage because they had other beneficial traits to them (Elekid had Static + Brick Break, for instance). Speaking of Roark, he also has a minor screw-the-rules moment as his Cranidos' Mold Breaker prevented it from being paralyzed by Static.
Well let's remember Rock and Electric are neutral to each other. Static also doesn't work on Ground-types so Brick Break was pretty much the only thing going for it.

Yeah, like I get the idea that Cranidos was negating the Ability but still that's not how Mold Breaker works. Though the anime changes Move/Ability rules all the time like how Aqua Ring in the anime can heal Burn. *sigh* I can understand some things don't translate but when they actually can and you just decide to ignore it that's when I call BS.

When I first watched Ash's gym battle against Brock as a kid, I made a terrible misinterpretation of the hydro-electric power plant giving Pikachu temporary electrical energy with Water-type properties (the actual concept behind hydroelectricity was still foreign to me at the time). Because of this misinterpretation, though, I'm actually okay with many of the type matchup inconsistencies that the anime has to offer.

The only type matchup that has always puzzled me anime-wise is the Psychic-Ghost matchup. It's never been made clear who is supposed to have type advantage, and there hasn't really been a notable Psychic v. Ghost battle matchup for the longest time in the anime (well, maybe Hoopa has one--I'm haven't seen the movie yet).

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
The only type matchup that has always puzzled me anime-wise is the Psychic-Ghost matchup. It's never been made clear who is supposed to have type advantage, and there hasn't really been a notable Psychic v. Ghost battle matchup for the longest time in the anime (well, maybe Hoopa has one--I'm haven't seen the movie yet).
It's been said Ghost are super effective against Psychic, just doesn't come up since Ash & co. usually don't have a Ghost or Psychic-type with them.

Correct me if I'm wrong but has Ash beaten all the Kalos Gyms on his first try except for Viola? It kind of reminds me of Hoenn where he only lost to Brawly but beat all the others on his first try, unless you count his first battle with Norman in episode 3 but Ash only had Pikachu with him at the time.

In Kanto, that was pity badges. He only really loses against ... Blaine ?

In Johto, he lost against Whitney, draws against Pryce.

In Hoenn, lost against Brawly and that's all

In Sinnoh, there was Roark and Fantina.

In Unova, Lenora was his only defeat ... ?

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
I have been told on another forum that the Mega Sceptile seen before is not Ash's, but instead what's-his-face's with the Bagon.

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
New Anime OP

Probably one of my favorites of all time.
Oh my god! This is so good!
The melody, the rhythmn, the sound mixing-- all great!
Rica Matsumoto's singing improved by miles as well!

This is probably the best song since Whiteberry's Mezase Master!

I'm curious as to what the "100 myriad volts" in the OP refers to. Is it a new attack?
Thunderbolt in Japanese is "10 myriad volts" (ie: 100 thousand volts)
So is this 100 myriad volts (ie: a million volts) a more advanced move than Thunderbolt is?

Last edited:

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Not Mega Greninja:
So from what it look like in the opener Ash-Greninja is going to be Ash's replacement for a Mega Evolution. My guess at some point Ash is going to battle Alain and get defeated handily with Mega Charizard (and probably also battle Sawyer who does the same with Mega Sceptile; or considering what I'm going to suggest below maybe be rescued by Sawyer from Alain?) and after a little inner crisis Ash and Greninga will unlock the ability to transform into Ash-Greninja and gain the power to take on Mega Evolutions (I guess that also explains why Greninja goes through this transformation and not Pikachu, you probably need to be fully evolved/reached your full potential. Pikachu can still evolve thus technically still can become stronger). Because all that BS is much easier than just allowing Ash to Mega Evolve his Pokemon...

Okay, the only reason I see them doing this is because they want to push Ash's current team which are all Gen VI Pokemon (sans Pikachu) with Greninga being his Starter and powerhouse... BUT still. I mean they randomly brought back Charizard during BW despite it doing nothing, its revealed Charizard got two Mega Evolutions, and they introduced Alain who has a Mega Charizard X and wants to battle all the Mega Evolutions. It felt like they were setting up Ash will be getting Mega Charizard Y yet here we are seeing Ash-Greninja possibly being Ash's replacement for Mega Evolution. Now I suppose Ash could still get Mega Charizard Y but what would be the point if he has Ash-Greninja?

All The Appears:
Finally, Team Flare makes their appearance in the main anime and it's not just Lysandre and grunts. All the scientists make an appearance and Malva appeared in the most recent Mega Evolution special. Speaking of which, Alain has also had a quick appeared in the end. In the opener it looks like Alain will be working with Lysandre against Ash & co.. If I were to make a guess, I'd say Lysandre gets tired of his field agents failing to capture the Zygarde Core from a group of kids and orders Alain to get the Zygarde Core (at the end of the recent Mega Evolution special we see Mairin's Chespin under some kind of irreversible affliction caused when it helped the Zygarde Core escape. So it probably would be pretty easy for Lysandre to convince Alain to get the Zygarde Core if it means curing Mairin's Chespin which he's angry about). But where it could go from there is up to the writer, but that seems like the most obvious path to go down right now. Ash won't be able to take on Alain's Mega Charizard X so either Ash & co. would need to escape from him or maybe have Sawyer come in and save them with his Mega Sceptile. Then we have Ash trying to figure out what to do it eventually leads to Ash-Greninja.

So yeah, it looks like everything is picking up. We also got a glimpse of Wulfric in the opener in the Pokemon Village.

Reactions: JES
It looks weird that we're 7 badges in and Ash still only has 5 pokemon. He really should have kept Goodra.

I doubt he's going to make any more captures before the league either since the focus will be on Greninja and Noibat evolving.

It looks weird that we're 7 badges in and Ash still only has 5 pokemon. He really should have kept Goodra.

I doubt he's going to make any more captures before the league either since the focus will be on Greninja and Noibat evolving.
It's okay. In Hoenn, Ash caught his sixth Pokémon Snorunt just a couple episodes before fighting gym leader Juan, so it's still possible that he'll be catching a sixth Kalos member in due time. What would it be, though? For a possible callback to Hoenn, Ash's last could be fellow Ice-type Bergmite, who has yet to make an appearance in the anime yet.

From what I've noticed, other similarities to Ash's Hoenn adventure include having four main protagonists and watching the 7th gym be a Double Battle against Psychic-types (the latter of which I had expected to be another 3v3 Single Battle, like in XY in-game).

I don't think Ash will make another capture though. Most of the focus will be on Greninja, and Noibat is still confirmed to evolve at some point.

I still kinda hope Goodra makes a return during the league, similar to the way Charizard, Squirtle and Gliscor all returned even though they were left in other places.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
I don't think Ash will make another capture though. Most of the focus will be on Greninja, and Noibat is still confirmed to evolve at some point.

I still kinda hope Goodra makes a return during the league, similar to the way Charizard, Squirtle and Gliscor all returned even though they were left in other places.
Well Ash always ends up with 6 Pokemon. As for Goodra returning, well Noibat sort of replaced it as Ash's Dragon-type. Now it would be nice to see Goodra return, but unlike Charizard, Squirtle and Gliscor it was released so for it to get to Ash it would have to physically travel as it no longer has a Pokeball it can be easily teleported in.

Now for what Ash's 6th Pokemon could be either they do give Ash a Mega Pokemon (though from what it looks like in the opener I'm now doubting that) or I'd bet Ash would encounter a Pokemon in the Pokemon Village that would want to go with him. What Pokemon I don't know, I'd say it would probably be evolved but having Ash enter the league with a fully evolved team was never an issue. For what Pokemon would fit Ash, hmm... maybe a Grass-type? Gogoat and Phantump seems like the most likely two candidates, Phantumps living in the maze forest near the Pokemon Village so that works.

I actually wouldn't mind if Ash skipped the Grass-type for this region. At this point, I'm personally hoping for a wild card, with my favorite being a member of the Honedge line, but guys like Bergmite and Carbink are nice options as well.

The problem is that Noibat does really nothing 20 or 30 episodes after his capture ... For me, Ash team, only 4 (good) Pokemon ! :D

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Need to sleep, but going to leave this here. It's 3 never-before-seen badges that Scottie or whoever had.

http://m.imgur.com/FbEeHD1

Thanks to DragonWhale for the picture link.
So? The anime has shown ton of anime-exclusive badges.

Oddly one of Sawyer's badges looks to be from a Fairy-type Gym... even though Kalos not only has a Fairy-type Gym but Sawyer has tried getting the Fairy Badge. So did he go to another Fairy-type Gym not being able to defeat Valerie or did she decide to change her badge because it was too long?

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
They probably had more badges than 8 for each region, despite the player cannot get access to those.
Though it's still possible that Kalos has other accessable gyms for Z, alike B2W2.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
I'm not so sure about in the games whether there's more than 8 Badges. While it could be player perspective, in the games world if feels like being a Pokemon trainer is more restrictive, not many trainers have many Pokemon that almost only the Champion has 6 Pokemon (yes there have been other trainers with a full party, but they are very few and far between... and one of them is a joke with 6 Magikarp (sometimes 5 with a Gyarados thrown in for lulz)). To many trainers the Gyms are very difficult to beat, the Gym trainers are probably on their level and the Gym Leader is quite above. Meanwhile the player and their rivals are pretty prodigies, they somehow have the gift of being able to balance out training a full party of Pokemon and ready to defeat the Gym Leaders usually as soon as they get to town if not before. Like one example I remember is that in BW there's this Roughneck in Striaton City who says he's having a difficult time beating Cilan, Chili, and Cress. Two years later in BW2 we meet the same Roughneck again who reveals he never was able to get the Trio Badge and now the Striaton Trio are no longer Gym Leaders meaning he'll never get it. Is that Roughneck really that bad of a trainer? Or is to a normal NPC maintaining a team of strong but even leveled Pokemon very difficult due to real world restraints they but not the player experience. If so the game world doesn't need more than 8 Gym Leaders as they probably sweep through unprepared challengers and those challengers don't challenge again until after a lot of training. It's probably also why we go straight to the Elite Four after getting our Badges, all those trainers in Victory Road may have 8 Badges but they're not prepared to take on the Elite Four and especially the Champion.

Meanwhile in the game world I'd say Pokemon training is a much more spread out thing. There's more trainers which mean there's probably plenty of trainers who have potential, way more than we see in the games. Thus there can't be 8 Gyms because otherwise they'll be overwhelmed by challenges. Also it seems like to becoming a Gym Leader is different in the anime than in the games. In the games it feels like those who became Gym Leaders were scouted out, like the Pokemon League is always on the watch for trainers with potential (and probably a preference for a certain type). But in the anime with so many Gyms it probably runs like a franchise where you call up the the Pokemon League, say you want to become a Gym Leader, and after testing you if you pass you get certified as a Gym Leader. So we not only have more trainers trying to compete in the Pokemon League but also more skilled trainers asking to become Gym Leaders. Finally the increase in trainers in emphasized in the anime's Pokemon League which is a tournament of trainers with the winner getting the chance to face the Elite Four and after them the Champion. And you don't get to try and try again, if you lose you have to start all over so the anime REALLY weeds out trainers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)