Genesect

From what I've seen of DW, the entire game has become a "who can keep Genesect alive the longest" war. The person who does so wins. I don't want to see Wifi turning into that. I don't think I've ever lost a match in DW when I killed my opponent's Genesect before he killed mine. It's just too fucking good.

November Blue

A universe where hot chips don't exist :(
is a Contributor Alumnus
U-turn / Bug Buzz / Flamethrower / Ice Beam.

U-turn is a must for every choice set, and Bug Buzz is a great sweeping option lategame. It's good to have dual physical / special STAB to take advantage of Download as well.

Flamethrower and Ice Beam take care of Steels, Flyers and Dragons. Thunderbolt is really only useful for Heatran, who can wall you anyway, and is better dealt with by another poke.

The real question is: How the fuck do you EV this thing?!

I opt for a neutral speed nature and 296 speed on my scarf Genesect for Hydreigon. I'm never sure whether to go 252 +SpA and put the rest in Attack, or buff Attack for powerful U-turns, which you should be using a LOT on the scarf set, and relying on Download for decent Special Attack.

Stratos

Banned deucer.
well, you should be dumping everything in Sp.A as much as you can because while powerful u-turns are nice, this isn't scizor, you're using them to troll the opponent and not net KOes. You need the SpA for late game sweeping.

November Blue

A universe where hot chips don't exist :(
is a Contributor Alumnus
Hmm, sounds good. I guess Download can patch up U-turn's power, 400+ Attack stat with no investment and all...

From what I've seen of DW, the entire game has become a "who can keep Genesect alive the longest" war. The person who does so wins. I don't want to see Wifi turning into that. I don't think I've ever lost a match in DW when I killed my opponent's Genesect before he killed mine. It's just too fucking good.
Could you elaborate on this please blarajan? I didn't think that Genesect was THIS good.

Hmm, sounds good. I guess Download can patch up U-turn's power, 400+ Attack stat with no investment and all...

Could you elaborate on this please blarajan? I didn't think that Genesect was THIS good.
Sadly, I'm going to agree with blarajan.
I don't want to write a wall of text or anything but he is simply versatile.

... i havent seen a dream world team without genesect.
for the first month, he was everyones's lead (which is why i had a scarf victni as the lead. HAHAHAHA)
he can be on sun teams, sand teams
he can be on rain teams (thunder an without flamw thrower with hp water or techno blaster)

.... hes just that good.

Stratos

Banned deucer.
... i havent seen a team without SCIZOR
for the first month, he was everyones's lead (which is why i had a scarf victni as the lead. HAHAHAHA)
he can be on sun teams, sand teams
he can be on rain teams (thunder an without flamw thrower with hp water or techno blaster)

.... hes just that good.
your argument. it is invalid.

while it's true i always put geno on my teams, i disagree that he's the one that usually decides the game for me. that's my Sableye :D

Katakiri

Listen, Brendan...
is a Researcher Alumnus
Rev up those Scarf Zoroark for that Turn 1 Flamethrower OHKO.

I really hate Genesect's Scarf set in DW. Not looking forward to it in standard.

Nix_Hex

Uangaana kasuttortunga!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
T-minus 1 day until pure & utter hype.
Nice contentless necro, PK!

But yeah, pretty much that. Genesect is great, no doubt about it, but any Pokemon that relies so much on a Choice Scarf is bound to get manhandled by some faster Choice Scarfer. Flame/Bolt/Beam is great coverage though, so it deserves some hype. I guarantee 90% of Genesect will be some variation of this:

Genesect @ Choice Scarf

Ability: Download
Nature: Hasty / Timid
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
-U-turn / Bug Buzz
-Flamethrower
-Ice Beam
-Thunderbolt / Thunder

Hasty is preferred on the mixed set so opposing Genesect get a slightly less useful Attack boost. However, if you're going pure special, you must place those extra 4 EVs into SpD to achieve the same effect. Trust me, it will come in handy.

The best counter to this thing is some Heatran, particularly Specially Defensive.
Thunder (+1) to Specially Defensive Heatran: 37.92 - 44.67% (3HKO)
Thunderbolt (+1): 30.12 - 35.58% (4HKO)
Thunder (+0): 25.19 - 29.87% (not even guaranteed 4HKO)
Thunderbolt (+0): 20.25 - 23.89% (not even guaranteed 6HKO)

SpD Jirachi works okay if Genesect doesn't get a Special Attack boost.

From using Genesect a lot, I found that Bug Buzz / U-Turn / Ice Beam / Thunderbolt was a lot more effective. The Bolt Beam combination already gives you great coverage, while the only things you can't hit super effective are bulky Steels, which are hardly a problem when Genesect will more than likely be used on offense / hyper offense teams with Pokemon such as Magnezone and Rotom to deal with said Steel types. I found that Bug Buzz was a lot more helpful than Flamethrower, as it just leaves Genesect more opportunities to be locked into an unstab and potentially unboosted move. Bug Buzz actually does damage to mons that are neutral to it, something that Flamethrower can't.

I think it's also good to mention other viable options that Genesect can run, most importantly Focus Sash and Rock Polish, both work well with hazards support. Focus Sash easily bluffs the Choice Scarf, while Rock Polish allows Genesect to set up pretty easily, given the amount of mons that switch in on it to take a U-Turn. Example, Scizor comes in to take U-Turn, Genesect uses Rock Polish, outspeeds Scizor and everything else on the guys team. Coupled with hazards, it is a really formidable late game sweeper with great coverage and boosted even further by Download.

http://pokemon.marriland.com/ Look on the right side of the page, it's actually on the 11th though, not the 10th. Scizor usage is about to drop so bad.
Yup. Bye Scizor. See you when the hype dies down.

Anyhow, I'm not putting in anything of worth in this thread. Onixeptable. Gotta post something worthwhile. Let's see...

Okay, due to Genesect's odd Speed, Electroweb might see some use on a sort of lure set. This would let Genesect slow down its opponent so it could hit it with the proper attack on the next move.

Genesect

Expert Belt/Life Orb/any other non choiced item that might work
Timid
252 Sp Attack, 252 Speed, 4 Sp Defense

Electroweb
Bug Buzz/Hidden Power Ground
Ice Beam
Flamethrower/Hidden Power Ground

EVs are self explanatory. Electroweb takes the place of Thunderbolt because two hits with Electroweb do more damage, and you should be using Electroweb of the start anyways, unless there's good reason not to. HP Ground is slashed in because this set has a problem with Heatran, who can take all its other attacks. This puts you in a position where you have to pick your poison. Without Bug Buzz, bulky Psychics can set up and you lose STAB. Without Flamethrower, Steels neutral to Ground mess you up, while Ferrothorn beats you.
On the other hand, hitting switch ins with Electroweb is great. Faster Pokes suddenly need to take two hits before doing anything, and thus this can possibly ruin a sweep or check.

Nix_Hex

Uangaana kasuttortunga!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Okay, due to Genesect's odd Speed, Electroweb might see some use on a sort of lure set. This would let Genesect slow down its opponent so it could hit it with the proper attack on the next move.

Genesect

Expert Belt/Life Orb/any other non choiced item that might work
Timid
252 Sp Attack, 252 Speed, 4 Sp Defense

Electroweb
Bug Buzz/Hidden Power Ground
Ice Beam
Flamethrower/Hidden Power Ground

EVs are self explanatory. Electroweb takes the place of Thunderbolt because two hits with Electroweb do more damage, and you should be using Electroweb of the start anyways, unless there's good reason not to. HP Ground is slashed in because this set has a problem with Heatran, who can take all its other attacks. This puts you in a position where you have to pick your poison. Without Bug Buzz, bulky Psychics can set up and you lose STAB. Without Flamethrower, Steels neutral to Ground mess you up, while Ferrothorn beats you.
On the other hand, hitting switch ins with Electroweb is great. Faster Pokes suddenly need to take two hits before doing anything, and thus this can possibly ruin a sweep or check.
By that logic, everything should use Icy Wind > Ice Beam if it gets it. There's a really good reason why you wouldn't use Electroweb: Thunderbolt does more immediate damage and doesn't rely on your opponent switching out (it's not guaranteed to). You're gonna have to have really good prediction to use Electroweb effectively.

The best counter to this thing is some Heatran, particularly Specially Defensive.
Thunder (+1) to Specially Defensive Heatran: 37.92 - 44.67% (3HKO)
Thunderbolt (+1): 30.12 - 35.58% (4HKO)
Thunder (+0): 25.19 - 29.87% (not even guaranteed 4HKO)
Thunderbolt (+0): 20.25 - 23.89% (not even guaranteed 6HKO)
Maybe I'm missing something, but why isn't a minimum 20.25% damage from a 100% accurate Thunderbolt not a guaranteed 5HKO?

Pocket Edit: b/c of Heatran's Leftovers.

Edit: Ah, okay, thanks.

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I tend to EV my Scarf Genesects with 128 Atk / 128 SpA / 252 Spe with a +ve Speed nature. I remember using 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe Naive / Hasty to start off with in DW, but found U-turn not hitting as hard as I would have hoped, even with Download boosts. I don't know the optimum split (and have never bothered to find out), but splitting half/half have worked out relatively well for me. With 128 EVs in both attacking stats, you're getting 308 in both attacking stats, IIRC, while is pretty much the same as Infernape's attacking stats, which is pretty good anyway.

Would it be too drastic to start using Rotom-H is combat this thing?

Now that I look at it, Rotom-H really isn't horrible, it has nice resistances, but that Stealth Rock Weakness hurts. At least it can burn Tyranitar.

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
shrang, don't you lose out in revenging Tornadus-T, Thundurus-T, etc, just for a stronger U-turn?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)