This is completely untested, but in theory, it beats a lot of common leads:

Gengar @ Gengarite
Nature: Timid
252 Sp. A / 252 Speed / 4 Def
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast / ?
- Taunt
- Will O' Wisp

I think it's pretty neat that Gengar gets access to Taunt but I've never really seen it utilized on him. Against Rock leads like Forretress/Ferrothorn/Skarmory/Smeargle it Taunts them and traps them with Shadow Tag, forcing your opponent to lose their hazards for the rest of the game, and WoW minimizes the damage output they can do back to you so you can sponge a few Gyro Balls and maybe a weak Payback. Because you're leading with him, he'll stay in his Mega form later, so you can Volt Switch/U-turn back to him and utilize his trapping to the fullest. Pairs well with Rotom-W who has access to Volt Switch and checks Talonflame/Aegislash whose priority really threatens this set and M-Gengar in general.

Thoughts?

Haruno

Skadi :)
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus

Gengar @ Gengarite
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast / ?
- Taunt
- Will O' Wisp

I think it's pretty neat that Gengar gets access to Taunt but I've never really seen it utilized on him. Against Rock leads like Forretress/Ferrothorn/Skarmory/Smeargle it Taunts them and traps them with Shadow Tag, forcing your opponent to lose their hazards for the rest of the game, and WoW minimizes the damage output they can do back to you so you can sponge a few Gyro Balls and maybe a weak Payback. Because you're leading with him, he'll stay in his Mega form later, so you can Volt Switch/U-turn back to him and utilize his trapping to the fullest. Pairs well with Rotom-W who has access to Volt Switch and checks Talonflame/Aegislash whose priority really threatens this set

Thoughts?
No one would expect gengar to lead admittedly though suicide leads have dropped in popularity alot so it won't be as useful, not to mention that even if someone does use a suicide lead, they'll just hard switch to avoid shadow tag. No one uses taunt because gengar is dead if tautn doesn't stop a move

I posted about this in the casual discussion but I thought I would post it here also.

In the Battle Maison my Choice Scarf Jolly Durant {Flawless IVs} got outspeeded by a Gengar. At first I thought the Gengar must be holding a Choice Scarf however when my second Pokemon come out Gengar used a different move. So no Quick Claw, no Choice Scarf.

Possible hidden ability?

I posted about this in the casual discussion but I thought I would post it here also.

In the Battle Maison my Choice Scarf Jolly Durant {Flawless IVs} got outspeeded by a Gengar. At first I thought the Gengar must be holding a Choice Scarf however when my second Pokemon come out Gengar used a different move. So no Quick Claw, no Choice Scarf.

Possible hidden ability?
I would wager to guess it has something to do with Durant having a base speed of 109 and Gengar having a base speed of 110.

edit: I was trying to sound snide and ended up being retarded, my bad.

Last edited:
You don't say. Did you miss the fact that my Durant was holding a Choice Scarf and the Gengar wasn't?
oh my I absolutely did.
embarrassing.

Did you switch Durant in first into Sticky Web or was it the first Pokemon you used?
Did Gengar's teammate use Tailwind?
Was Gengar BP'd any boosts?
Are you certain you didn't just miss due to (I assume you're using Hustle) Hustle and see Gengar moving after you?

I hate to also say this, but is it possible that the Maison just cheated you? Because it totally does do that.

When Gengar outsped you did what moves did it use?

dwarfstar

mindless philosopher
It also bears mentioning that any Gengar not carrying Disable might have Sludge Wave over Sludge Bomb. In general, though, Chesnaught does wall Gengar pretty well, but can't do much back to it except use it as setup fodder for Spikes/Leech Seed.

Gengar @ Gengarite
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast / ?
- Taunt
- Will O' Wisp

I think it's pretty neat that Gengar gets access to Taunt but I've never really seen it utilized on him. Against Rock leads like Forretress/Ferrothorn/Skarmory/Smeargle it Taunts them and traps them with Shadow Tag, forcing your opponent to lose their hazards for the rest of the game, and WoW minimizes the damage output they can do back to you so you can sponge a few Gyro Balls and maybe a weak Payback. Because you're leading with him, he'll stay in his Mega form later, so you can Volt Switch/U-turn back to him and utilize his trapping to the fullest. Pairs well with Rotom-W who has access to Volt Switch and checks Talonflame/Aegislash whose priority really threatens this set and M-Gengar in general.

Thoughts?
I kind of like that. Nice anti lead set with potential for more kills. What do you think of DB instead of WoW? That way you can switch it back in later in case there's big threat on their team?

Gengar walks into a bar, there was no counter.

Let's be serious Gengar can handle most of his counters and checks with ease. When it comes to gengar, you kinda have to just outplay them.
I lol'd

On thread topic, I found Destiny Bond to be a huge trump card for me in rated games. Beaten several Substitute/Sucker Punch Mega Maws with it, which seems to be rampant in rated.

I lol'd

On thread topic, I found Destiny Bond to be a huge trump card for me in rated games. Beaten several Substitute/Sucker Punch Mega Maws with it, which seems to be rampant in rated.
that is true! I run into many sucker punch mega khans when I play rated games. Destiny bond comes in handy!

Mega Gengsr seems like the best outofthe Mega Evolutions. He out speeds most pokemon, and if Can't 1HKO the opponent he has destiny bond. I think most sets need Destiny bond and subsitute tho.

Problem I have with Substitute is - to me - seems like it's been nerfed quite a bit this gen. Either they get taken out easily or they go around it.

I really like having the option of two STAB and an extra slot for team coverage over the substitute option. Gengar's speed (My Gengar is perfect IV... named Egon... get the reference?) more than makes up for the lack of sub.

Moveset on Egon:

Destiny Bond
Sludge Wave
Shadow Ball
Focus Blast (alternate)

Last edited:
Mega Gengar is a serious threat once its evolved, but I'm finding that the "Mega Turn Order" issue really holds it back, preventing it from being a truly potent revenge killer. For example, people keep trying to use it against my DD Gyarados, but +1 Gyarados outspeeds Timid Gengar every time and OHKOs, whereas a Timid Mega Gengar would outspeed.
Its frailty also makes it hard to "set up" as it were.

You could always us Protect the turn you Mega Evolve. Also, what makes Mega Gengar so threatening that people want Gengarite banned? I get that it's a fast Pokemon with high special attack and has the ability to trap Pokemon thanks to Shadow Tag, but it's also super frail and weak to beefy Pokemon with priority.

I was also under the impression Gengar can't learn Sludge Wave?

AccidentalGreed

Sweet and bitter as chocolate.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Mega Gengar is a serious threat once its evolved, but I'm finding that the "Mega Turn Order" issue really holds it back, preventing it from being a truly potent revenge killer. For example, people keep trying to use it against my DD Gyarados, but +1 Gyarados outspeeds Timid Gengar every time and OHKOs, whereas a Timid Mega Gengar would outspeed.
Its frailty also makes it hard to "set up" as it were.
You might want to consider using a Three Attacks + Protect set if Speed is proving to be an issue when Mega evolving. Like I said on my last post regarding Protect, it also helps Gengar predict around priority moves such as Aegislash's Shadow Sneak and Scizor's Bullet Punch, and determine which variant are they, and what moves they might use. Depending on which move they use, Gengar can either stay in and deal heavy damage, or switch out to another teammate that can take care of its specific target.

Gengar CAN learn Sludge Wave via breeding. An amorphous egg group pokemon will do the trick nicely. It's good for multi-battles and dodging that stupid vest.
Gengar CANNOT learn Perish Song (currently). Currently Misdrevous[sic?] is the only amorphous that learns Perish Song. Since he's unavailable until Christmas...

has anyone used a sub/venoshock gengar with a toxic spikes setter? It didn't really work for me last gen but with shadow tag, it could work to stall and/or hit hard poison stab on some more annoying foes

i feel like talonflame has made gengar useless, actually on his own has made several OU pokemon completely useless if hes facing them. E.g Scizor, gengar, blaziken.

1 hit from +1 priority brave bird and its over. Since he's so fast he can kill scizor with flare blitz as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)