Gravity Storm:Gravity and Sandstorm

Hey guys. I've lurked for a while on Smogon now, and decided to make my first thread! I've always liked the element of surprise, and as such, decided to make a gravity team, something I have never seen before on PS! Since my team is the first one of it's kind I've ever seen, I didn't have much to base it around, other than Smogon's Flavor of the Month post. But now, let us see the actual team:

Hippowdon @ Leftovers
Trait: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 SDef / 252 Def / 4 HPToxic
Calm Nature
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock
- Slack Off

A basic mixed wall. It can easily take nuetral hits, and can Slack Off any damage, keeping it healthy throughout the match. This is especially important in weather wars, and is why I choose this guy over Ttar. The main problem is that it can't hit flying Pokemon (unless Gravity is up), but it has Toxic for that, so it can easily outstall a Pokemon with Slack Off. Earthquake is standard STAB, and SR early on in the game does help my team a lot, when it needs to spend a turn setting up Gravity.

Bronzong @ Leftovers
Trait: Heatproof
EVs: 252 SDef / 252 Def / 4 HP
Adamant Nature
- Hypnosis
- Earthquake
- Gravity
- Zen Headbutt

Ah, Bronzong. It's such a helpful Pokemon. First off, it has heatproof instead of Levitate because Gravity removes that immunity anyway, so there isn't much point in having it. A neutrality to fire is much more helpful to me, as it allows me to EQ back. Also, under Gravity, Hypnosis gets perfect accuracy, surprising many Pokemon attempting to set-up. Element of surprise, right there. Zen Headbutt is a useful STAB, but I'm thinking of changing it for possibly Reflect / Light Screen.

Metagross @ Leftovers
Trait: Clear Body
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 SDef
Jolly Nature
- Gravity
- Meteor Mash
- Earthquake
- DynamicPunch

Metagross is my one of my main attackers, and does act as a bit of a wall. This guy's moveset is extremely surprsing. With Gravity up, I can spam Meteor Mash for a chance to raise my attack, or Earthquake to hit almost any switch in neutrally. DynamicPunch has only 83% accuracy, not perfect, but hey, it's better than 50%. The confusion really helps in desperate times, but I probably should switch it out for another, more accurate move, such as Ice or Thunder Punch

Regirock @ Leftovers
EVs: 136 HP / 252 Atk / 120 SDef
Impish Nature
- Gravity
- Earthquake
- Thunder Wave
- Drain Punch

Haha, when was the last time you've seen one of these on a team? Whenever I make a sandstorm team, I always try to get a rock, steel, and ground type, and so, I chose Regirock. It is my other main attacker, and a complete tank under Sandstorm, but only under Sandstorm. Otherwise, it's Spec. Defense really lets me down. I basically T-Wave anything coming in. set up gravity, and Earthquake all over. The main problem with Regirock is that it has almost no way to restore health, so I chose Drain Punch. However, it sometimes just doesn't do enough damage, so I'm thinking of choosing Stone Edge over it instead, for the STAB and EdgeQuake combo

Reuniclus @ Flame Orb
Trait: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 Def / 4 SAtk / 252 SDef
Modest Nature
- Gravity
- Focus Blast
- Recover
- Psychic

Ok, I simply love reuni. With it's bulk, and ability, it's amazing. I use Flame Orb because it prevents it from falling asleep and being paralyzed. So, it's my best counter against Breloom and Amoongus, along with common T-wavers. Also, it is a complete Troll against Trick users. For that reason, Flame Orb is better, so that it can get Jirachi and other Steel types. And anyway, it has recover to restore health. So this is basically the Calm Mind set, but with improving accuracy instead of Stats. It really should explain itself.

Starmie @ Leftovers
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Modest Nature
- Gravity
- Blizzard
- Thunder
- Hydro Pump

Ahh, my final Pokemon. Of course, this is a weather team, and as such, I need a way to eliminate other weather-inducers, mainly Politoed, since the rest of my team takes care of Ninetales, Abomasnow is pretty uncommon, and TTar is a friend. And while Thunder does get perfect accuracy in rain, it's always good to have a back up. Blizzard and Thunder for BoltBeam coverage, and Hydro Pump for powerful, accurate STAB. Hazards don't really scare me too much, and I really just have to switch into Starmie to stop the opponent from "wasting their time", in fear of a non existent rapid spin.

Concerns
Abomasnow is a threat, even though it's uncommon. Another threat is Celebi, as Starmie's Blizzard only does about 50% to spec. defensive.
Of course, Earthquake from the opponent's side hurts, but there really isn't much to do about that.
I'm thinking about switching out one of the steel/physics for something else, perhaps Bronzong, but they do work quite well, so I'm really not sure.

But what do you guys think? It's won plenty of battles, probably because the opponent didn't know what to expect when it saw the first Gravity up. But it has lost a few, too, mainly weather battles. Any changes I should make? I'd be happy to replace a Pokemon, but I'd really like the replacement to have Gravity and maybe an immunity to Sandstorm, as well. Thanks!

EDIT: Yes, I know my EV spread sucks. I'm not really good at those, haha. But once PS! comes back up, I'll change them. Thanks for the help guys!

V4Victini

再起不能
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnus
Nice. I actually ran many Gravity teams months ago. At least one for each weather.

One big fix you can make to 5/6 of these sets are your Nature/EVs
You dont seem to invest in HP before defenses. Bronzong's 252 Def 252 SpD spread prevents slightly more damage than 252 HP. In the long run 252 HP is worth it because you can invest the other 256 EVs into either a defense or attack. Without fully invested attack Reuniclus will disappoint you.

Use these over your current spreads
-EDIT- Soooooo many edits >.> But there are better EV Spreads for most of your pokemon

Reuniclus @ Life Orb
Trait: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SAtk / 4 Def
Modest Nature
- Gravity
- Focus Blast
- Recover
- Psychic

You want those 252 EVs in SpA. and as frogholic pointed out, Life Orb is much stronger.

Bronzong @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 84 Atk / 132 Def / 44 SpDef
Bold Nature
- Hypnosis
- Earthquake
- Gravity
- Zen Headbutt

This is similar to 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpDef Adamant but with 9 more points in SpDef your set seemed to focus more on taking hits that dishing them out.

or you can try this set for more power

Bronzong @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Def
IVs: 0 Spe
Brave Nature
- Hypnosis
- Gyro Ball / Earthquake
- Gravity
- Zen Headbutt

What you lack in coverage you make up in power. NonSTAB Earthquake with no invested Attack like your spread wont do much anyway.

Hippowdon @ Leftovers
Trait: Sand Stream
EVs: 248 HP / 132 Def / 80 SpDef / 48 Atk
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock
- Slack Off

This spread takes special hits just as well as your current one but it takes Physical hits MUCH better, in addition to having more Attack. You also accidentally had Calm in place of Careful. Calm is Atk- not SpA-

Regirock @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 64 Atk / 172 Def / 24 SDef
Careful Nature
- Gravity
- Earthquake
- Thunder Wave
- Drain Punch

I'm no Regirock expert because I havent delved into lower tiers yet. This spread maintains the same defensive stats as your current one BUT gives you more HP and more Attack.

Metagross @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 136 Atk / 116 Def / 8 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Gravity
- Meteor Mash
- Earthquake
- DynamicPunch

Like before. Same or better defenses. More Attack than your previous set.
-or you can run standard Max HP Max Atk

Now if you're curious as to why I run 248 / 8 as opposed to 252 / 4 is that it gives you the same defense as 4 / 252 as well as giving you an odd HP Number which wears you down ever so slightly less than an even one from Hazards + Status. On Reuniclus it doesnt matter so you can run 252 / 4.

V4Victini:
Thanks! Even though I've played the metagame for a couple of months now, I still don't understand EVs too much. I'll change Bronzong's stats to 252 HP, but Im still not quite sure about Metagross on general. Can you suggest a certain spread for me? Again, thanks

V4Victini:
Thanks! Even though I've played the metagame for a couple of months now, I still don't understand EVs too much. I'll change Bronzong's stats to 252 HP, but Im still not quite sure about Metagross on general. Can you suggest a certain spread for me? Again, thanks
If you're going with Jolly then 4 HP/ 252 Atk/ 252 Spe is probably the best. You can drop some speed evs in order to get more bulk, but at that point I'd just use Adamant, 252 HP/ 252 Atk/ 4Def.

Anyhow, great team, love the use of gravity Metagross! One thing I'd say is that you don't need 5 gravity users, 4 or even 3 should be enough. To this end I would consider a different Starmie spread:

Starmie @ leftovers
Timid, 4 Def/ 252 Sp.atk/ 252 Speed
Hydro Pump
Ice Beam
Thunderbolt
Rapid Spin/Recover

Timid is better as you outspeed a lot more things with it (like Terrakion, Keldeo, etc).

Reuniclus wants to be Modest, 252 HP/ 252 Sp.atk/ 4 Def and holding a Life Orb, as Magic Guard negates the recoil and allows it to hit hard. Flame Orb should only be used on a Psycho Shift set.

Hope this helps.

Frog:
Thanks! I'll use the Metagross spread you suggested once PS! is running again.
I have tried using 3 gravity users, but if there are Hazards, then the damage does rack up. That being said, a Rapid Spin set would make sense. However, I think I'll stick with my 5 for now, since it has been working great. I will try a Timid nature on Starmie, though
I also do like Flame Orb, on Reuniclus, as it allows me to pretty much wall Breloom, which is a major threat to this team, along with many others, I'm sure. But again, thanks!

Trinitrotoluene

young ☆nd foolish
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hey. I love the concept of Gravity and the use of Metagross, but I feel that you're extremely weak to opposing Landorus (both the Incarnate and Therian formes). The lack of a counter to both of them is extremely troublesome. I'd recommend the use of Cresselia over either Regirock or Bronzong, because of its massive Defense and ability to only be 3HKOed by a Sand Force-boosted Earthquake from a LO Landorus-I. From there, Cresselia can use Ice Beam to OHKO said Landorus. Cresselia also gives you another Gravity abuser, and if you don't want that, it could also use Lunar Dance to revitalize one of your Pokemon.

Also, many of your EV spreads are inefficient. However, most of the other raters have the other team members covered. The only one I'll make a comment about is Hippowdon. For Hippowdon, a spread of 252 HP / 232 Def / 24 SpD alongside an Impish nature would be more efficient. This EV spread allows you to not be 2HKOed by a Naive Landorus-I's LO Hidden Power Ice while retaining a great amount of physical bulk. Other than that, it'll take some more improvements, but I feel that you have a great team in the works!

Sets:

Cresselia @ Leftovers | Levitate
Bold Nature | 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD | 0 Atk
Ice Beam | Psychic | Moonlight | Gravity

Nitpicks:

4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpD Calm ----> 252 HP / 232 Def / 24 SpD Impish

With that, good luck with your team!

Triniti: That's a good suggestion. Whenever I used Cresselia, it usually failed. But that's most likely because of my suckish spreads. I'll try that instead of Bronzong, and see how it goes. Thanks!
Captains: But, my 3 other moves have terrible accuracy. They would hardly ever hit.

Remember guys, this is a Gravity team. My main focus is surprise, not really power. But I really should be more efficient with my EV's .-.
Thanks!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)