Great Defensive Combos

Suicune also has a weakness to Grass, btw. Also, unless you're running a CM set, I'd prefer to go with Vaporeon personally, for the reliable healing from Wish.

Yeah forgot about grass but my core still stands.
Ferro 4x resist, gliscor is neutral.
Acrobatics Gliscor KOs most grass threats though.

He wanted suicune so I put suicune.

How about Heatran, Virizion and Jellicent? Together they bring at least 1 resist to every type, don't share any weaknesses and have one immunity to both WoW and toxic.

How about Heatran, Virizion and Jellicent? Together they bring at least 1 resist to every type, don't share any weaknesses and have one immunity to both WoW and toxic.
The only major problem I see with that is that Heatran and Virizion have no form of recovery, meaning the core will get worn down quickly, especially considering that all 3 are hit by all forms of hazards. (except Tran who's immune to TSpikes)

tehy

Banned deucer.
NP celebi and Cm virizion easily tear through that core, but pretty good otherwise. Also HP fire starmie, if that's a thing any more, and most likely salamence, latios, and hydreigon.

If you're looking for a FWG core, I would recommend Heatran, Celebi, and Vaporeon personally. Vaporeon's Wish makes up for heatrans' lack of recovery, and Celebi has support options like Heal Bell at it's disposal.

If you're looking for a FWG core, I would recommend Heatran, Celebi, and Vaporeon personally. Vaporeon's Wish makes up for heatrans' lack of recovery, and Celebi has support options like Heal Bell at it's disposal.
The problem I have with that core is that, due to the fact that it doesn't hold any dedicated walls (think skarm, or blissey, etc.), simply more balanced pokes acting as walls, it is too easy to break through with a banded outrage or close combat or something

Well to be fair it can deal with both as checks. Heatran can take one +1 outrage and Celebi can deal with Terrakion spamming close combats. Although such a core completely is fucked by a swords dance Terrakion, so its going to need some sort of check (Scizor, Starmie, Latios).

Not to mention Volturn is going to be an issue. Just the basic Scizor Rotom-w core can be a major pain for that core. Rotom can tear apart Tran and Vaporeon while they can't do much in return, and Scizor can cause problems for Celebi. Granted, Celebi can run HP Fire, but on defensive sets, there's no chance for a OHKO, and even the Tinkerbell set needs prior damage for the kill.

Yeh, I played against Amoonguss/Slowbro/Heatran core and I still can't find a good way to play around them. Regenerator gives many problems and they can burn, para and put to sleep enemy offensive pokes. And they're not sitting ducks either: scald, ice beam, earth power, lava plume, clear smog... Just. Annoying. To note regenerator Amoonguss is still DW

Just a suggestion, but maybe almost full screen pics are not the best idea.
Wall of text isnt fun, but neither is wall of pic.

I think FWG cores should be mentioned at least somewhere, as they're widely accepted as a strong defensive backbone (with support/checks to deal with things that your FWG just can't cover). There really isn't one specific FWG core that's generally used this gen, but they pretty much always use Heatran as the only truly viable defensive fire-type in OU. Options for the other members include things like Celebi, Virizion, and Ferrothorn (as grasses), and things like Jellicent, Slowbro, Starmie, and others to fill the water-type slot. Personally, I've been playing around with Heatran/Jellicent/BU Breloom recently to great success, and I did a team with Offensive Tran/ChestoRest Rotom-C/Starmie a while ago. Heatran/Celebi/Rotom-W also works well, with rotom acting as a stop for Gyarados, though that variant is terrak weak and wants Gliscor or something to help out.

Slowbro (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 244 Def / 16 SAtk
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Scald
- Slack Off
- Thunder Wave
- Ice Beam

Celebi @ Leftovers
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 96 SAtk / 160 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Giga Drain
- Recover
- Nasty Plot
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Heatran (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SDef / 4 Spe
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Lava Plume
- Protect
- Toxic
- Roar

Standard FWG Core with a slightly more offensive variant of Celebi, if you want to use Calm Mind over Nasty Plot you are free to do so, they have some great synergy, Scizor can be a problem if played right so I try to get the right team support in there.These 3 wall lots of stuff and force a bunch of switches making them work extremely well with Hazards, Forretress and Deoxys-D are great partners aswell as Skarmory.I use Deoxys D to lure out and kill SCizor with that Fire Gem set but the other two work fine too.

Only problem with the core is you are relying on Heatran to take the Ghost/Bug/Dark attacks.

Add a Zapdos defensive varient to that core and Scizor wouldn't beat it then with prediction.

Starmie @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 24 Def / 8 SAtk / 224 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Psyshock
- Recover
- Rapid Spin
- Scald

Skarmory (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Roost
- Whirlwind
- Brave Bird
- Spikes

Blissey (F) @ Leftovers
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Def / 16 SDef
- Seismic Toss
- Softboiled
- Thunder Wave
- Ice Beam

Very old defensive core, but still solid. Skarm/Bliss cover most physical/special threats, spead hazards and status. While Starmie spins, checks Infernape, checks Terrakion, and can attempt to sweep with hazards late game.

Partner it up with Scarf Tyranitar or Hippowdon. Possible Scarf Jirachi to check Reuniclus. You could put Stealth Rock on Blissey if neccessary.

Perish Song Celebi with special defense is good too. It would be another option for a Reuniclus check instead of Scarf Jirachi.

blunder

the bobby fischer of pokemon
is a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis the Smogon Tour Season 25 Championis a defending SPL Champion
Big Chungus Winner
Starmie @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 24 Def / 8 SAtk / 224 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Psyshock
- Recover
- Rapid Spin
- Scald

Skarmory (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Roost
- Whirlwind
- Brave Bird
- Spikes

Blissey (F) @ Leftovers
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Def / 16 SDef
- Seismic Toss
- Softboiled
- Thunder Wave
- Ice Beam

Very old defensive core, but still solid. Skarm/Bliss cover most physical/special threats, spead hazards and status. While Starmie spins, checks Infernape, checks Terrakion, and can attempt to sweep with hazards late game.

Partner it up with Scarf Tyranitar or Hippowdon. Possible Scarf Jirachi to check Reuniclus. You could put Stealth Rock on Blissey if neccessary.

Perish Song Celebi with special defense is good too. It would be another option for a Reuniclus check instead of Scarf Jirachi.
Starmie really doesn't check Terrakion as a Banded CC will tear through it and a Stone Edge will OHKO it. With no investment is SpA in Starmie either it would be very hard to sweep. Slowbro seems like a decent replacement as it does what Starmie did except much better but at the cost of being slower which doesn't really matter on a defensive core

UU Core;

I found a good UU core while working out the kinks in a UU stall team. I was down 2-5 with this core (but thankfully Spikes + SR) and got the win.

[pimg]302[/pimg]
Sableye @ Leftovers
Calm Nature (+SpD, -Atk)
252 Hp, 124 Def, 132 SpD
Will-o-Wisp
Taunt
Recover
Night Shade

Acts as an excellent spin blocker, and priority burn makes physical attacks cake. Priority recover allows me to survive, while Taunt keeps status at bay (Primarily toxic) Night shade is for nice even damage.
The EVs are split so that Sableye has even defenses, with 1 more point in SpD. Always nice. No weaknesses is also very nice, along with 3 immunities.

[pimg]143[/pimg]
Snorlax @ Leftovers
Careful Nature (+SpD, -SpA)
252 Hp, 60 Def, 196 SpD
Rest
Sleep Talk
Whirlwind
Body Slam

This poke is a beautiful phazer. Rest + Sleep Talk work excellently, because with Snorlax's massive Hp, it will not die in 2 turns, which means it will either phaze you out (causing headaches when im all spiked up) or body slam you, which has a 30% chance of messing you up. If the pokemon is burned, (courtesy of sableye) the Defensive Evs shut down some physical attackers too.

While the core is for mainly stall purposes, and hazards are crucial to the playstyle of this core, it is possible to use these two on a balanced team, albeit they would take different roles. Snorlax would become a parashuffler, and sableye would turn into an annoyer. This core is good because the only weakness snorlax has is one of sableyes immunities, and while sableye may be weak special defensively, snorlax easily takes care of them. (Sheer force nidoking earth power is a 5ko)
The only problem this core has are with strong physical pokes that either dont mind a burn, or are immune. Arcanine, Heracross, Darmantian, ect are dangerous to this core, as they can take out snorlax and sableye with a variety of moves and beautiful coverage.

EDIT: This also works fairly well in OU, though it needs a little more support.

Starmie really doesn't check Terrakion as a Banded CC will tear through it and a Stone Edge will OHKO it. With no investment is SpA in Starmie either it would be very hard to sweep. Slowbro seems like a decent replacement as it does what Starmie did except much better but at the cost of being slower which doesn't really matter on a defensive core
The defense EV's prevent CB Terrakion from OHKOing it provided rocks aren't up. You also outrun it. What if the Terrakion is locked into CC or Quick Attack? What if they are a scarfer or are double dance? It isn't a counter, but it is most definitly a check. It outruns and threatens to burn or 2HKO at least.

You need a spinner when running Skarmory + Blissey in BW OU. A spinner is more neccessary now than any other generation. Omni present hazards and Skarmory and Blissey being spike bait is awful.

It wouldn't be very hard to sweep with defensive Starmie late game, with hazards, and if you burn their primary switch in. That Starmie lasts a very long time, and it can be very hard to kill for more defensive teams.

The standard rain stall team is hard pressed to beat it when Ferrothorn gets burned.

I'm trying to make a defensive core with Specially Defensive Jirachi and Physicaly Defensive Celebi. Does anyone have suggestions for a third member that can go well along with it, that can perhaps also combat Volt-Turn?

Edit: More specifically, Scizor and Landorus. I would prefer not using Skarmory as that would make all members of the core weak to Fire-type attacks.

I'm trying to make a defensive core with Specially Defensive Jirachi and Physicaly Defensive Celebi. Does anyone have suggestions for a third member that can go well along with it, that can perhaps also combat Volt-Turn?

Edit: More specifically, Scizor and Landorus. I would prefer not using Skarmory as that would make all members of the core weak to Fire-type attacks.
Huh, that's kind of tough seeing as those two don't synergize very well, but the best thing I can come up with is bulky Rotom-w. Rotom covers your glaring fire weakness while also dealing with Scizor, Landorus, and a lot of physical sweepers thanks to WoW. (although, Celebi can actually deal with Scizor)

Claydol + Empoleon in UU has pretty good defensive synergy, but it has no reliable recovery, so a leech seeder like Shaymin or Tangrowth could be added to it. Tangrowth is also good for defeating Krookodile, Poliwrath(Kinda uncommon though), and some bulky waters like pert and quaggy, which otherwise have no problems smashing through.

Does that make a good combo?

Blissey + Alomomola. It's not about covering as much typings as possible, but relying on stats instead.

I mean, one has 255 HP/135 SpD, the other has 165 HP/80 Def More importantly is that both pokes can learn Wish. And huge ones at that.
Pairing both with a Latias to cover grass/electric/fighting attacks maybe? (but then Latias weaknesses aren't covered by anyone except ice).

Wish here, Wish there, and maybe you can keep the whole team healthy for a good time.
Sounds good?

Honestly the main problem is Alomomola just doesn't have the bulk Blissey does specially wise. Blissey can just toxic Volcarona and call it a day, if Alomola tries to do the same thing, its gonna get swords danced in the face and get 2HKOed flat. Not only that but Alomomola has a really really shitty attack movepool, at least Blissey can use seismic toss and flamethrower to hit shit. Base 75 attack for a base 80 attack with no investment is pretty shitty outside all pokemon bar... Landorus?

I have been using the strangest defensive combo that is actually pretty difficult to take down: A defensive Salamence with wish, protect, fireblast and dragon tale plus a Blissey with wish, protect, seismic toss and toxic.
Salamence can actually take a CB Terrakion's close combat for Blissey (just watch out for stoneedge on non choice varients!) and easily heal with wish when Terrakion switches while Blissey can easily tank ice beams for Salamence.
They can both pass wishes to team mates to highly increase the durability of your team or they could pass wishes to each other, but your opponent generally catches on pretty fast.
Salamence and Blissey cover each others weaknesses well enough, but another poke like ferrothorn could be added to make an effective defensive trio with Salamence and Blissey taking fire attacks for Ferrothorn.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)