Guns and Shooting Thread

So basically the thread to discuss guns and other activities involved with them.

I my self am into guns. Infact 2 hours before I was making this thread I went to the gun club.

I am guessing this thread will most attractive to American Smogners for we have one of the highest Gun ownership populations in the world. It is about 47% of all Americans own guns. However gun following is all over the world.

So feel free to discuss guns and the things you do with them. Such as collecting, Pole Vaulting, Hunting, robbing banks, or just shooting targets.

Aldaron

geriatric
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I've actually always wanted to learn how to shoot. I've done some martial arts my whole life but found for practical purposes my lack of gun training was a big hole...

Anyone in cleveland area know of some sweet shooting ranges where you can learn, and hopefully have any suggestions for a newbie to guns?

EDIT: To clarify why I'm asking for advice instead of just going...I have 0 friends who shoot, let alone own a gun. I'd also be an Indian kid walking into what I am stereotyping as a very monoracial environment soooo...so would prefer some advice before strolling right in :P

zorbees

Chwa for no reason!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
inb4 thread is derailed into a gun debate
inb4 mods delete posts that would derail thread into a gun debate

I think it'd be cooler if this was just a thread about weapons in general. I've very interested in knives and archery (guns too but to a lesser extent for now).

Stratos

Banned deucer.
I like guns. I shot guns as a boy scout. I still do shoot guns as a boy scout. My grouping is amazing, provided i'm shooting at something stock-still.

Shotgunning I am OK-ish at, I think I have like a 60% success rate out of all five times I'be ever shot a clay pigeon.

Anyway aldaron idk if this is true everywhere but at least where I live and probably in Ohio too (the cultures are similar enough from what I've experienced when visiting relatives) normal people dgaf about race and gun owners are not all people in top hats with southern accents, so don't need to worry about stereotypes.

EDIT: lol banner at top of page is a gun training institute. For the first time I'm glad I don't have an adblock on.

People in the south that shoot guns don't wear top hats. They wear wifebeaters and baseball caps or ill-fitting shorts and t-shirts with a sweat stain on the collar (all of which are most commonly size XL or higher)

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Yeah lets talk about other weapons.

Some of my minecraft friends might know I'm doing this culture drawing course for theatre design. I get to draw some objects and I always pic one sword or something. Here are some of my favourites.

Dagger from ancient Mesopotamia, 2550-2400 BC, gold and wood

Ceremonial knife from Egypt, 3000-2890 BC, flint and flaked gold, this is at the Royal Ontario Museum, and as a side note seeing something irl that you drew the internet is very cool.

Sword of Muhammad, 6th-7th century I can’t remember, gold and really badass.

Blade from India, 17th century, gold and steel bade.

The coronation sword, or sword of Charlemagne. 10th century gold and steel, the bottom of the scabbard is just a ton of fleur de lis to the bottom.

Really shows just all the cool stuff people do with the royal weapons they used to show off power or actually stab people.

Also everyone really likes gold, even after they realize it isn't very good as a blade.

I always wanted to know in action movies how the bad guy can shoot for hours at the good guy and always miss, but when the good guy takes almost the exact same shot, he always hits his man every time....

I always wanted to know in action movies how the bad guy can shoot for hours at the good guy and always miss, but when the good guy takes almost the exact same shot, he always hits his man every time....
Well, the movie wouldn't exactly make much money if the main character died to the first bullet fired by some lackey, would it?

I need one of these:

I've gone shooting with a small array of handguns, sadly I was raised far away from guns so none of my immediate famiy or close friends are big into guns so I don't get many cool opportunities. I plan on getting a concealed carry permit when I move out into the world

Acklow

I am always tired. Don't bother me.
I have one of these ladies in my possession, actually:

The funnest part is setting it to semi-auto and seeing how fast you can shoot by just pulling the trigger a ton of times.

I mostly shoot rifles, but I'm almost ashamed to say that I've never used a pistol. My aim's kinda eh, but I get good groupings on my targets, so I hit bulls eye a couple of times after I get adjusted.

EDIT: I also shoot my bow and arrow at a crude haybale target, but I don't think I'm going anywhere anytime soon with that. It's really fun to let fly a couple of arrows every now and then, though.

the funny thing is i havent even seen a gun in real life, yet in less than a month im shipping off to marine basic training, where the motto is "every marine a rifle man". hopefully i can add more to this thread when i get back.

Andy Snype

Mr. Music
I'm looking to get a handgun just for self-defense if things are really that bad, though NJ laws are very strict about the process. I'd like to learn, but I don't know many places in the northern-NJ/Tri-state area. Anybody know any good places for gun training?

In Australia, our gun control laws are pretty tight, and we have very few school shooting things, so I spent a long time feeling superior to the US about it. But then I read some stats, and it turns out that gun control laws don't really affect the incidence rate of violent crime - we have lots of stabbings but no shootings.

When I was in Vegas last month, one of our friends had us ride the bus out to TheGunStore. I was a bit skeptical at first, but upon watching how the staff there were acting, I was actually pretty impressed by the way they handled everything. It was clear they knew exactly what they were doing, their safety procedures were clear.

I fired a .220 sniper rifle (my two female companions fired a 9mm glock, and a set of Glock, M4, and Rambo gun respectively). For me, nothing but bullseyes at 90 feet.

I quite enjoyed the experience, and I have newfound respect for proper gun education and gun culture.

Acklow

I am always tired. Don't bother me.
Steven Snype, I don't know if there are any local gun ranges, but usually those provide good gun training. Otherwise, I'd set my sights on states that allow hunting, like PA, MN, TX, MT, ND, SD, etc. You'll usually find a gun range or gun training classes somewhere in those states.

As for gun training in it of itself, the best thing you can do is come into class on a fresh mind, without the preconceived notions of "guns being bad". Usually the teachers are very good at making their point that guns need to be handled with extreme care and that they are not toys.

Hopefully some of this helps.

im shipping off to marine basic training.
I'm sorry.

Anyway I am a big fan of guns and other weapons. I've shot quite a few weapons including most of the US military grade weapons. I have a pistol, shotgun, and my wife's .22 rifle. If you are looking to shoot for fun i don't think there's anything more enjoyable than plinking away with a nice .22 rifle. No recoil, it doesn't break the sound barrier so it's not loud, and you can shoot targets with minimal damage. It's almost every beginners first caliber.

I also have a compound bow which is pretty much just cheating when it comes to shooting arrows. The sights are spot on and the bow does all the work. I have a couple of knives but i'd like to get into throwing knives.

anthropic principle. the protagonist can't get killed (until the very end) because if they did, then they wouldn't be the protagonist.

I remember the last gun thread here, that was a fun time.

I dislike guns because when I was 11, I dislocated my shoulder due to idiots not telling how to hold it right. So I've sort stayed away from ever since. Though I did figure out that I like to shoot right handed even though I'm left handed, which I found funny.(except I shoot left handed with hand guns though)

I can definitely relate to you!
Before the first time I fired a rifle I didn't even know how to hold it. I literally put the buty o the rifle on top of my shoulder lol. Guns are entirely safe of you have proper training and such.

Also I shoot with just my left hand wih handguns to.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)