Sticky Have a question? Ask it here! (NOT SM QUESTIONS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
When using the Masuda method, does it consider the country of origin or the language or origin? I just traded with a player who has a French 3DS and a French Pokemon game, but played the game in English. The Pokemon he traded didn't have the FRE thing on their page, nor are the FRE Pokedex pages available. However, the Global Link website indicates that he's a French player, and I have reason to believe he did breed those Pokemon. Should they work with the Masuda method? If so, how can I tell that a Pokemon is international and not just a different language?

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
When using the Masuda method, does it consider the country of origin or the language or origin? I just traded with a player who has a French 3DS and a French Pokemon game, but played the game in English. The Pokemon he traded didn't have the FRE thing on their page, nor are the FRE Pokedex pages available. However, the Global Link website indicates that he's a French player, and I have reason to believe he did breed those Pokemon. Should they work with the Masuda method? If so, how can I tell that a Pokemon is international and not just a different language?
I believe the Pokemon just has to be from a different language. You need a Pokemon with the black language marker (FRE, JPN, etc.) for Masuda method to work. For example, you could play an "American" game in Spanish, and the Pokemon it produces would be considered foreign to another "American" game played in English.

So to answer your question: I think no, the Pokemon your friend traded you would not be considered foreign.

I believe the Pokemon just has to be from a different language. You need a Pokemon with the black language marker (FRE, JPN, etc.) for Masuda method to work. For example, you could play an "American" game in Spanish, and the Pokemon it produces would be considered foreign to another "American" game played in English.

So to answer your question: I think no, the Pokemon your friend traded you would not be considered foreign.
I thought the same, but Bulbapedia indicates that it's different countries, not different languages. They write that the mechanics indicate:

"An internal marker on each Pokémon identifies their "home location", 0x17."

I would imagine that would be based on the region used in the game (which is printed on the game cartridge itself), NOT the language the game is played in. I was wondering if anyone had actual evidence one way or the other, rather than their impressions.

It uses the language you choose at the beginning of the game.

Darkmalice

Level 3
is a Tiering Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Breeding question with egg moves:

When you try to breed >4 egg moves onto a Pokemon, which egg moves take priority over the others? I have heard female egg moves take priority over male egg moves, but I am not sure if moves in a higher slot take priority over those in a lower slot.

I have a female Charmander with Dragon Dance and Dragon Pulse
I plan to breed it with a male Charmander with Dragon Dance, Flare Blitz, Outrage and Crunch

Is there any way to rig the breeding so that the baby Charmander can know Dragon Dance, Dragon Pulse, Flare Blitz, and Outrage WITHOUT deleting Crunch from the male parent?

So I'm going back to SR for a 2nd Yveltal, and I wonder if there is a better way to do this since the cut scenes are way too long. At what point are the natures etc. set, and what's the best way to sr for these things?

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

When you try to breed >4 egg moves onto a Pokemon, which egg moves take priority over the others? I have heard female egg moves take priority over male egg moves, but I am not sure if moves in a higher slot take priority over those in a lower slot.

I plan to breed it with a male Charmander with Dragon Dance, Flare Blitz, Outrage and Crunch

Is there any way to rig the breeding so that the baby Charmander can know Dragon Dance, Dragon Pulse, Flare Blitz, and Outrage WITHOUT deleting Crunch from the male parent?
I'm not certain on the egg moves mechanic but why not just remove crunch while breeding then relearn it when you're done? Remember the move reminder does egg moves as of gen VI

Edit:
So I'm going back to SR for a 2nd Yveltal, and I wonder if there is a better way to do this since the cut scenes are way too long. At what point are the natures etc. set, and what's the best way to sr for these things?
Use an IV calculator to find out what's it max stats are at level 50 (and with corresponding nature), then when you start the Lysandre fight check the summary screen and see which stats match. If you think you've landed a good spread then finish the fight and see if the nature is correct and double check the IVs with the calculator

For example: a timid Yveltal at level 50 will have

Last edited:

Forgive me for not being immediately convinced.
I have an Italian game on an Italian 3DS, I selected English as the start language, I caught a Pokémon and sent it to the PC, ported it to PokéBank, then selected Italian as the language and the little tag that appears at the right of the name if it isn't from the same language as your game appeared, indicating that it has a different language and therefore qualifies for Masuda Method shiny breeding as far as I know.

Darkmalice

Level 3
is a Tiering Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I'm not certain on the egg moves mechanic but why not just remove crunch while breeding then relearn it when you're done? Remember the move reminder does egg moves as of gen VI
I worked out the answer to my question by trial. All my hatched Charmanders had DD, Dragon Pulse, Outrage, and Flare blitz.

I would conclude that:
1) Female egg moves are given priority over male egg moves
2) Egg moves on a lower slot are prioritised over higher slots. In the case of my male parent Charmander, i put Crunch at the top of the list, and that move was never passed down to the babies over the other 4 egg moves.

indicating that it has a different language and therefore qualifies for Masuda Method shiny breeding as far as I know.
Right, that's why I'm asking. All I've heard is "as far as I know." We know that region is used somewhere, because it has an influence for Vivillion patterns. I wanted to see if anyone had any actual confirmation that the Masuda method uses a language marker instead of a region marker, or whether it uses both. The fact that a language tag does or doesn't exist doesn't prove that the language tag is what's actually used for the Masuda method.

It could be that Bulbapedia needs to update their article. Bulbanews' April Fools article was about how two Canadians had a "shiny" baby now that the new Matsuda method allows higher rates by native language, not country. So it seems like an inconsistency in their own site. . .

Darnell

Respected.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Has the recently-revealed move "Hold Hands" been found to do anything in Double Battles? Or is it just a Splash/Celebrate clone?
From searching around still not enough information about what it does aside from the fact it makes the ally 'very happy'. Looking towards another Splash/Celebrate clone at the moment from what I've seen.

Would Orange Islands be the appropriate place to post a thread about the dumbest thing you've ever seen the AI do? I think it could be funny.

Darnell

Respected.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Which pokemon has best ability and not ban in pokemon showdown?
That is a very debatable and open question depending on the actual Pokemon that it is combined with. For example Wonder Guard is a VERY good ability but only obtained by Shedinja with 1 HP
Would Orange Islands be the appropriate place to post a thread about the dumbest thing you've ever seen the AI do? I think it could be funny.
Not to sure, might want to take that up with one of the moderators that specialize in this forum.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
How about two hearts in Pokemon Amie?
Yes. If you have the experience gain o-power active as well, that also stacks

When level grinding I make sure I have all 3 going at once and go to restaurant le wow or the sushi place as the o-power stays active until the last battle finishes (rather than lasting 3 minutes). It's even better if the 'mon you're training isn't yours originally as it'll get even more boosted exp.!

Mew2

Sex is overrated
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
I was MM for a shiny spritzee for my RU team. I have a male 6ivs with aromatherapy, wish, moonblast and protect and a female with no egg moves and a japanese female one with no egg moves. After +1000 egg I gave up and breeded another pokemon. I started to MM again and I am getting wish but no aromatherapy. I checked the aromatisee and it still has the same egg moves. So why I am only getting wish?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)