Sticky Have a question? Ask it here! (NOT SM QUESTIONS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm assuming this is for the Let's Play that WideTomato is doing, in which case he will just have to keep taking photos of the screen like he has been, unless you play on an emulator on your PC which you can easily get a screenshot of...
Well, i guess an emulator could be the solution, however I just think it ruins the fun... (correct me if im wrong here) Emulators also can't connect to the 3ds online, meaning i cant have any of the post game fun, (unless I import the savefile to my 3ds, which i dont really dare trying)

If this is the case (and it's a regular endeavour as this solution is rather pricey) there are 3ds capture boards available, which output to USB (and have software available to record the two screens from there).
Well, i can't really afford that, unfortunately :/

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Is it possible to get Sheer Force Bagon (Moxie Salamence) in ORAS?
If you mean by only playing ORAS and without the help of outside sources (ie: other games), yes. You can DexNav for a HA Bagon in Meteor Falls, although it will be really hard because Bagon only appear in one of the back rooms where there is barely any ground to walk on (it's full of water) so getting the DexNav to spawn a ground encounter could prove tedious, not to mention doing it 20+ times until you finally find a Bagon with its HA...

My advice would be to try asking in the Wi-Fi forum to see if any of the nice users there could donate one to you (or trade for one of your breeds)

Funnily enough since the last question was on the Bagon family, I was going to ask how good a choice Mega Salamence is just for plowing through the Battle Maison, and if so which sets are most effective. I only really need to get through the 50th battle of each Super.
Fuck, it'd be cool if there was some sort of Viability Rankings for battle facilities like there are for Smog Tiers/VGC and in-game teams. Meh, I can dream.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
Funnily enough since the last question was on the Bagon family, I was going to ask how good a choice Mega Salamence is just for plowing through the Battle Maison, and if so which sets are most effective. I only really need to get through the 50th battle of each Super.
Fuck, it'd be cool if there was some sort of Viability Rankings for battle facilities like there are for Smog Tiers/VGC and in-game teams. Meh, I can dream.
Ask in the Battle Maison thread... They know everything in there about the Maison and will give you a load of tips.

EDIT: "Choice" "Mega" and "Salamence" Pick one of the former...

Viability ratings wouldn't make a lot of sense, because most Pokemon's viability depends on the mode they're used in and what team they're on, and they often won't work particularly well on other teams. Durant is complete trash outside of Singles, where it's godly. Togekiss really isn't all that effective in Singles, but I got a streak of 543 with it by capitalizing on its typing, bulk, and access to Yawn and Safeguard to support Mega Kangaskhan. But even overwhelmingly good Pokemon like Mega Kangaskhan, Aegislash, and Greninja can be absolutely demolished before battle 50 if they don't have the right support and if they run into the wrong opponents.

Viability ratings wouldn't make a lot of sense, because most Pokemon's viability depends on the mode they're used in and what team they're on, and they often won't work particularly well on other teams. Durant is complete trash outside of Singles, where it's godly. Togekiss really isn't all that effective in Singles, but I got a streak of 543 with it by capitalizing on its typing, bulk, and access to Yawn and Safeguard to support Mega Kangaskhan. But even overwhelmingly good Pokemon like Mega Kangaskhan, Aegislash, and Greninja can be absolutely demolished before battle 50 if they don't have the right support and if they run into the wrong opponents.
I wasn't proposing the same viability ranking for all formats. Regardless, it's moot point; it'll never happen and it was just a "I can dream" out loud thing.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Salamence really only hates ice types (like every dragon) so you should pair it with a steel type (like every dragon user does), it also has trouble with electric types (particularly Zapdos as it can't be hit with Earthquake) so something to deal with them will round out a pretty nice singles team I think. Hyper Voice 'Mence will clean up in doubles / triple / multis alongside an Earthquake user, just have something to deal with ice types (Scizor / Luke / Aegi). Rotations is much the same as singles but you can incorporate a cleric to aid 'Mence incase it gets statused (Blissey etc.) and you don't lose your boosts from rotating which is a huge bonus for set-uppers there

edit: Sal plays much the same to Dragonite except it's much more susceptible to status (and has better coverage with Aerilate)

What happens if I try to use Pokebank to transfer a hacked pokemon from White 2 to Omega Ruby? Specifically, I have a Ditto with perfect IVs in W2, which I got from the PokeCreator app, that I want to put into daycare in OR. Presumably if it passes Nintendo's hack check, I can just transfer it, but what if it is detected as fake? Does the transfer just fail or do I get banned from Pokebank or something like that?

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
What happens if I try to use Pokebank to transfer a hacked pokemon from White 2 to Omega Ruby? Specifically, I have a Ditto with perfect IVs in W2, which I got from the PokeCreator app, that I want to put into daycare in OR. Presumably if it passes Nintendo's hack check, I can just transfer it, but what if it is detected as fake? Does the transfer just fail or do I get banned from Pokebank or something like that?
While I don't know the answer, talking about hacks is strictly forbidden. If you want a 6iv (or other spread) Ditto, check out these giveaways: here and here

edit: Sal plays much the same to Dragonite except it's much more susceptible to status (and has better coverage with Aerilate)
On the status part, I was considering DD/Sub/Return/[Coverage; most likely Flamethrower or EQ], while switching DD and Return for Roost and Hyper Voice in Doubles/Triples (naive nature; 6IV, would change EV spreads between these two sets). Would this solve that problem?

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
On the status part, I was considering DD/Sub/Return/[Coverage; most likely Flamethrower or EQ], while switching DD and Return for Roost and Hyper Voice in Doubles/Triples (naive nature; 6IV, would change EV spreads between these two sets). Would this solve that problem?
Singles is definitely Sal's weakest format. The Sub-DD set is good, you just need to make sure you have the appropriate teammates to deal with stuff it has trouble with (tough with only 3 in a team). If you chose Earthquake you need stuff to handle Zapdos, Thundurus, Aerodactyl, Archeops (pre-mega), Luxray (Air Balloon), Raikou (Air Balloon), Skarmory, Levitate Bronzong, and to an extent; Ferrothorn and Sturdy Magnezone. Suicune deals with the non-electric types and doesn't care about status with Rest, Gliscor deals with non-ice types (but gives you two 4x weak 'mons). A lot of Dragonite teams utilise Aegislash as they synergise really well, so to round out your 3 you could add in a special wall / cleric like Blissey. That could probably get you through at least 50 (I'm assuming that's your goal)

edit: yeah good idea to re-EV for doubles etc.

I'm probably going to get a lot of hate for this, but does anyone have any advice for weaning myself off of competitive play? It's just made me miserable since every pokémon I like is getting banned, and feel inferior for daring to like those pokémon.

I'm probably going to get a lot of hate for this, but does anyone have any advice for weaning myself off of competitive play? It's just made me miserable since every pokémon I like is getting banned, and feel inferior for daring to like those pokémon.
play vgc singles
Honestly just try and find a new hobby, or hell just try finding something else about Pokémon to love. Nuzlockes, Battle Maison, perhaps even VGC or Smogon Doubles singe the only things banned from there are box legends (and in VGC's case, event legends). Maybe try something out of the games like reading or making your own stories with them or whatever. There's a lot to do with Pokémon; you don't have to relegate yourself to Smogon Singles.

This has been bothering me for a while, but I can't find any information on it, so this is the place:
I do know that if Ditto/Mew uses Transform on a Pokémon that can Mega Evolve, it itself can't Mega Evolve, even if it is holding the appropriate Mega Stone. I also know that species specific items like Light Ball work. But does Eviolite work if Ditto/Mew transforms into a NFE Pokémon?

No, Transform works like that:
If you are a Metronome Chansey holding Eviolite or Lucky Punch and get Transform, you'll not only get the enemy transform with base 250 HP, but you also either get defensive boosts or a much higher crit-chance

I know where you confusion might come from, as why doesn't Ditto's specific powders doesn't work? It is because Gamefreak is trollin, that's why.

So a Chansey transforming into Golbat gets an Eviolite boost, a Ditto doesn't

-----

I myself have a queston about Ppokemon Mystery Dungeon, espeically about PMD Darkness/Time: What is a good mon for South island cjhallenge? I honestly thought Nincada with Compound Eyes and Fury Swipes should be wrecking, but someone might have a much better tip.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
Does Mat Block protect you from your own attacks?
I would test this for you but I'm unable to use my DS at the moment, I'm 99% sure it does though. I would ask in the Battle Mechanics Research thread to get a definite answer, or you could just test it yourself in-game...

edit: just got my DS out and tested it with Gren and Chomp, Mat Block does in fact block friendly fire. This includes spread attacks (Earthquake) and direct attacks (Dragon Claw)

Last edited:

SM979

dank memes
is a Contributor Alumnus
If a Pokemon such as Houndoom is switched into a Fire-type attack and its Flash Fire ability gets activated, then it Mega Evolves and uses Fire Blast, will it still receive the boost from Flash Fire even after it has lost the ability?

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
If a Pokemon such as Houndoom is switched into a Fire-type attack and its Flash Fire ability gets activated, then it Mega Evolves and uses Fire Blast, will it still receive the boost from Flash Fire even after it has lost the ability?
According to the onsite analysis for Houndoom; it does

Smogon said:
Flash Fire is the ideal ability as the boost persists when Houndoom is Mega-Evolved and gives it a free switch-in if played correctly.
As I've suggested to several people here, Orange Islands is not the place to ask battle mechanics related questions, there is a thread for that

Have anyone played through the story of pokemon XY after the v.1.3 update? I have updated my game, and i am currently doing a Y nuzlocke, but when i reached the lucario battle against Korrina, when i mega evolved there was no lucario sprite after, only the mega evolution symbol and the cry. When the battle continued, the sprite was ones again back. When Korrina evolved her lucario, it looked completely normal. Does anyone know why this happened/have experienced it or something similar?

EDIT: also, how long can you save a draft on smogon?

Last edited:

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
Have anyone played through the story of pokemon XY after the v.1.3 update? I have updated my game, and i am currently doing a Y nuzlocke, but when i reached the lucario battle against Korrina, when i mega evolved there was no lucario sprite after, only the mega evolution symbol and the cry. When the battle continued, the sprite was ones again back. When Korrina evolved her lucario, it looked completely normal. Does anyone know why this happened/have experienced it or something similar?

EDIT: also, how long can you save a draft on smogon?
No idea about the Lucario glitch, that's pretty weird though... If you're worried about losing a draft then just copy and paste it in a Word document or something, but from experience they last quite a while

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 6)