Sticky Have a question? Ask it here! (NOT SM QUESTIONS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Destiny Knot passes down 5 random stats from the parents and the sixth will be a random value between 0 and 31. So there's a 1/32 chance of getting a 0IV in the 6th stat. Even if both parents are perfect you will always get one completely randomised IV.
So I just got unlucky then (Gible had HP/SpA/Spe and Deino had HP/Spe). Thanks for the answer.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Hello, my intention in this Orange Island thread is to start a Let's Play. I would like to know if this is okay, as I am sure there are other threads with this same purpose, and I know you can't have a thread with another one existing with the same topic. It's a Let's Play of Pokemon Yellow okay?
That's okay!

So I'm starting to breed mons after finishing the main story, and I've got a question regarding sychronizers and SOS battles.

If you start with a Synchronizer mon, even if it's fainted, the appeared wild mon will have the nature (50%) chance. But will the SOS mons also have a chance of the Sychronizer's nature when they're summoned, even if the Sychronizer is no longer on the field?

So I'm starting to breed mons after finishing the main story, and I've got a question regarding sychronizers and SOS battles.

If you start with a Synchronizer mon, even if it's fainted, the appeared wild mon will have the nature (50%) chance. But will the SOS mons also have a chance of the Sychronizer's nature when they're summoned, even if the Sychronizer is no longer on the field?
By all accounts and some limited experience Synchronize only activates for SOS Pokemon if the Synchronizer is the lead Pokemon and active in battle. At least you can use Skill Swap Kadabra to check abilities. Though in the end I just caught Ditto until I had one of each relevant nature.

Okay, will check those places out. Thanks!

I'm pretty sure that's the only one I've ever used in my in-game, because I had a Manectric.
I would recommend leveling Isle Aphun to at least level two to unlock the Path for Brilliant-Stone Hunting! Pokemon returning from Brilliant-Stone hunting have a good chance of bringing back any evolution stone. I've gotten one of each stone from it so far, besides the Ice Stone I need for my Vulpix. -_-'

I would recommend leveling Isle Aphun to at least level two to unlock the Path for Brilliant-Stone Hunting! Pokemon returning from Brilliant-Stone hunting have a good chance of bringing back any evolution stone. I've gotten one of each stone from it so far, besides the Ice Stone I need for my Vulpix. -_-'
I'm not in Sun, it's Omega Ruby :P

I'll definitely remember that when I do get it.

Where do I get another Thunder Stone in ORAS? I used my only one on an Eelektrik and now I need one for a Raichu.
You could also take some Yellow Shards from either a Mirage Cave (only West of Rustboro and via Rock Smash) or a Mirage Mountain (all of them via the Dowsing Machine) and bring them to the Treasure Hunter on Route 124. He'll give you a Thunderstone for each Yellow Shards you bring him.

Is there a list of Shiny-locked or Nature-locked Pokemon somewhere?
Oh, and someone one told me that an Adamant Rayquaza with 31/31/31/31/31/31 spread is impossible to obtain in Gen 4. Are they any other cases like this?

While training EVS in a SOS, the pokémon called drops x2 of EVS, ok. But the original pokémon what drops? x2 of evs? Or it's like a normal pokémon?

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Is there a list of Shiny-locked or Nature-locked Pokemon somewhere?
Oh, and someone one told me that an Adamant Rayquaza with 31/31/31/31/31/31 spread is impossible to obtain in Gen 4. Are they any other cases like this?
Perfect IV spreads are impossible to obtain pre-Gen V (I think it's pre-Gen V) with certain natures due to RNG limitations. Or something. The Wi-Fi trading section guys have a list somewhere of which natures can have perfect spreads.

Perfect IV spreads are impossible to obtain pre-Gen V (I think it's pre-Gen V) with certain natures due to RNG limitations. Or something. The Wi-Fi trading section guys have a list somewhere of which natures can have perfect spreads.
So that means anything from Gen 5 onwards is fair game? as in it can have any IV spread and nature?

If smeargle uses sketch on a Pokemon at the Battle Tree, will it learn move permanently? Or will it reset back to normal after you leave the facility?

Vinc2612

The V stands for VGC
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
So that means anything from Gen 5 onwards is fair game? as in it can have any IV spread and nature?
In gens 3 and 4, some IVs spreads are incompatible with some natures. By head, I remember modest and timid being possible to get with 31*6, but not adamant or jolly (I'd say all atk reducing natures are possible, but don't quote me on that)
This does not apply to bred Pokémon, they can have any combinaison (because you can overlap the imperfect IV with a parent's one)
And gen 5 removed that limitation as well, so yeah, you can get any combinaison

In the vein of Showdown, have there been any fan-made apps that emulate the Battle Frontier? Specifically, the Battle Factory. It is hands-down my FAVORITE way to play Pokemon, and I hate that I really only have Emerald as an option (which is pre-Gen4 revamp ofc), since the Gen4 Battle Frontier AI cheats like a Mothimlover. GF doesn't seem keen to bring back the Frontier, and I think I read in an article that they've said as much. I am keen to be able to step into balanced, randomized battles using modern rulesets and current Pokemon.

Has the power of Dark Rust, the Bittercold, Dark Matter and their moves been ripped from their respective spinoffs? If so, where can I find them?

Simple question: Is there a place on Smogon to theorize about pokémon teams or at least a directory?.. I'm sorry if it's a really stupid question, I'm new here and have checked a few places on here and googled a few times but it feels like avoiding the danger of being called a normie, but I guess I can't help it can I. Thank you in advance for the help!

Simple question: Is there a place on Smogon to theorize about pokémon teams or at least a directory?.. I'm sorry if it's a really stupid question, I'm new here and have checked a few places on here and googled a few times but it feels like avoiding the danger of being called a normie, but I guess I can't help it can I. Thank you in advance for the help!
Could you expand upon what you mean? Do you mean ingame or competitive or something else. There almost certainly is a place that satisfies what you're looking for, someone can probably point you there if you explain it a bit more. And welcome to Smogon.

Could you expand upon what you mean? Do you mean ingame or competitive or something else. There almost certainly is a place that satisfies what you're looking for, someone can probably point you there if you explain it a bit more. And welcome to Smogon.
I mean in-game competitive and casual, and while I do surface more on the casual side of things I also want to test the competitive waters and see what can help me get better results other than losing in less than three minutes.. Which is my usual time on a team of 6. In conclusion: I want to know a place where I can design a team around multiple things whether its Two purposes in one, a gimmick team, or supplementing a pokémon because someone likes it. And thanks for the welcome!

cityscapes

Take care of yourself.
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnus
I mean in-game competitive and casual, and while I do surface more on the casual side of things I also want to test the competitive waters and see what can help me get better results other than losing in less than three minutes.. Which is my usual time on a team of 6. In conclusion: I want to know a place where I can design a team around multiple things whether its Two purposes in one, a gimmick team, or supplementing a pokémon because someone likes it. And thanks for the welcome!
RESOURCE TIME
Teambuilding Guide - Although it's rather outdated and explains things using OU mons (which may not be what you're looking for), this is a great read.
How to Battle and Win - While the Teambuilding Guide helps you build teams, this one helps you play games with them. It details when you should try to make risky plays.
And now, some advice from the best me:
  • If you really want to be good, then you have to understand the metagame first. There is no shortcut. Even though you said you wanted to build teams, using a sample team first might help you with that. Playing games with a good team helps you figure out what makes it so good, whether it's an unstoppable core or good offensive synergy.
  • Similarly, watching replays of tournament battles is very useful. Not only are they exciting, but they also feature high-level thinking to strive towards. Try to predict what the players will do next, and look at what objectives they want to reach.
  • However, the best way to get better is to practice. If you have a friend into Pokémon, you can play them, or just play on the ladder. Join a tournament! You'll become a better player the more games you play against different teams.
  • Once you feel like you understand the metagame to some degree (not like you have to be some kind of master ofc), go ahead and build your own team! Try to incorporate elements from the sample teams, or just try something different if you want. After you play around with it, you can put it on Rate My Team (here is a way to format an RMT if that helps) and make the team better.
  • Take it a step at a time! Don't try to do everything all at once.
  • Why do I give advice to other people, then think to myself that this is what I should be doing, then not do it? ._. (By the way, please let me know if it's bad or it doesn't work.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)