Pokémon Hawlucha

Status
Not open for further replies.
ANYWAYS, has anybody tried breeding Close Combat into Hawlucha yet? I'm curious because of the whole Power vs. Accuracy argument, and 90% accuracy is kinda shaky.
It doesn't. After I tried to slide the punches, I tutored my Hitmonchan to Mach Punch, Bullet Punch, and Close Combat (kept Fire Punch for later testing). None of them passed.

I guess a moveset where you use Focus Sash and Unburden would be too situational? The thought of getting a Swords Dance and an Unburden boost in one turn sounds wonderful, but I guess Stealth Rock, Spikes, priority moves, etc. screw this up a bit.

I really wanna train a Hawlucha, just trying to work out the best option for it...why did its Attack have to be so little?

I guess a moveset where you use Focus Sash and Unburden would be too situational? The thought of getting a Swords Dance and an Unburden boost in one turn sounds wonderful, but I guess Stealth Rock, Spikes, priority moves, etc. screw this up a bit.

I really wanna train a Hawlucha, just trying to work out the best option for it...why did its Attack have to be so little?
red card works well, and he doesn't have to nearly die to get the boost

It's stats and movepool are good enough to make it OU. I see this falling in low UU or top RU. Flying press is cool but really not that strong.

Is this confirmed? Haven't seen this anywhere.
I would love for the method to get flying/fighting gems to be confirmed. Been smashing rocks and found no gems at all. I have an Adamant EV trained Unburden Hawlucha ready and waiting for a gem. It runs:

- Encore
- Hone Claws
- HJK
- Acrobatics

Any suggestions on a good alternate item?

If we can only get access to Normal Gem is this set viable?

Hawlucha @ Normal Gem
Adamant
Unburden
- Return
- HJK
- Acrobatics
- Hone Claws/Bulk Up/Swords Dance

I think that flying and fighting moves are unresisted this gen (except for Aegislash), I can't think of anything good that resists it...
Electric/Flying and Electric/Ghost are the two others I can think of. Also, less notably, Electric/Fairy, and if anything actually got them, Electric/Psychic and Electric/Poison.

Electric/Flying and Electric/Ghost are the two others I can think of. Also, less notably, Electric/Fairy, and if anything actually got them, Electric/Psychic and Electric/Poison.
Well is anyone going to be using those?

Electric/ghost, psychic and poison don't exist, electric/flying is only thundurus and zapdos (here you might have something) and who is going to be using dedenne?

Well is anyone going to be using those?

Electric/ghost, psychic and poison don't exist, electric/flying is only thundurus and zapdos (here you might have something) and who is going to be using dedenne?
Electric-Ghost is actually the base form of Rotom.

Xatu does well btw. Just for those looking for a supporting type counter. And Physically defensive Mega Amph doels with both this and Talonflame at the same time.

It's stats and movepool are good enough to make it OU. I see this falling in low UU or top RU. Flying press is cool but really not that strong.
More importantly, it's totally outclassed by Acrobatics and High Jump Kick. Just because a Pokemon has an exclusive move doesn't mean we have to assess its metagame viability on the basis of that move. Hawlucha has better attacks to use.
Xatu does well btw. Just for those looking for a supporting type counter. And Physically defensive Mega Amph doels with both this and Talonflame at the same time.
Xatu can't switch in against Hawlucha, since it's slower and is 2HKOed Flying Gem Acrobatics, even without a Swords Dance. Mega Amph can avoid the 2HKO from HJK, but neither it nor Xatu can do anything to stop a Baton Pass, which is going to be on its standard set due to its ability to bypass almost all of its 'counters'.

Last edited:
If we can only get access to Normal Gem is this set viable?

Hawlucha @ Normal Gem
Adamant
Unburden
- Return
- HJK
- Acrobatics
- Hone Claws/Bulk Up/Swords Dance
I used thief on my Greninja through out the game and encountered all of 2 gems. (poison and normal). If I had known they were so hard to find I would have logged where I found them. Unfortunately It doesn't allow you to steal some opponents items in game, otherwise I wouldn't have to be doing all these Battle mansion shinanigans to get decent items

Zapdos and either thunderous form are the pokemon in OU who can wall flying fighting coverage. Zapdos you can probably ignore unless Lando-I is reallowed into OU, but the thunderous forms are the most significant.

Zapdos and either thunderous form are the pokemon in OU who can wall flying fighting coverage. Zapdos you can probably ignore unless Lando-I is reallowed into OU, but the thunderous forms are the most significant.
Even if Thundurus makes it back into OU, it gets OHKOed by High Jump Kick after a SD if rocks are up, and Hawlucha is the faster Pokemon. Whilst priority taunts can stop a baton pass, it's something of a mind game as +2 Flying Gem Acrobatics has a chance of OHKOing even without rocks. Zapdos is a better counter, but only the physically defensive sets can avoid 2HKOs from HJK, and more offensive variants risk being OHKOed by Flying Gem Acrobatics. It also can't do anything to stop a Hawlucha pass.

Been playing around a lot with this Pokemon, and I feel fairly confident that it's going to make a pretty big imprint on OU. It has a few checks (Talonflame is particularly noteworthy), but nothing really counters it, and despite poor defenses, it actually has a lot of opportunities to switch in thanks to its ground immunity and fighting/ dark/ grass resistances.

You gotta consider, if Thundurus and Zapdos are really going to be problematic, then Hawlucha can just run Stone Miss as a means of countering them. Something like Swords Dance/Stone Edge/High Jump Kick/Acrobatics can still work.

I would love for the method to get flying/fighting gems to be confirmed. Been smashing rocks and found no gems at all. I have an Adamant EV trained Unburden Hawlucha ready and waiting for a gem. It runs:

- Encore
- Hone Claws
- HJK
- Acrobatics

Any suggestions on a good alternate item?
I've been running this set with a "Red Card" item. Seems to work well for me, but I am new to competitive battling so I don't know what my opinion is worth.

I have been running this in the same team as my Galvantula and switching in on stuff that he can resist.

I've been looking at these Hawlucha sets and I really like the flying gem ones, but I think most of us know by now that there are no flying gems or even fighting gems in X and Y. After some digging around I may have found a set that could work really well for him, not sure how well it would work in practice but hey, it's always good to put your ideas out there.

Hawlucha @ Power Herb
Adamant/Jolly Nature
Unburden
-High Jump Kick
-Acrobatics
-Sky Attack
-Swords Dance

The premise of this moveset is to find an opportunity to nab a Swords Dance boost then use Sky Attack. While normally a two-turn move, the Power Herb will effectively take away the charge turn it normally has on its first turn, and is more powerful than Acrobatics (not with flying gem of course, but we can't use that anymore.) I haven't done damage calcs on it, but I don't think much would like to take a +2 one-turn Sky Attack (not to mention the 30% flinch rate that it carries.) This will also activate Unburden, will allow Hawlucha to use a 110 base power Acrobatics, and will enable him to sweep teams with Swords Dance boosted High Jump Kicks and Acrobatics. Adamant is best if you're looking for that extra bit of power that Hawlucha values greatly, use Jolly if you want the extra speed before Unburden.

So that's my 2 cents, any feedback would be appreciated!

I've been looking at these Hawlucha sets and I really like the flying gem ones, but I think most of us know by now that there are no flying gems or even fighting gems in X and Y. After some digging around I may have found a set that could work really well for him, not sure how well it would work in practice but hey, it's always good to put your ideas out there.

Hawlucha @ Power Herb
Adamant/Jolly Nature
Unburden
-High Jump Kick
-Acrobatics
-Sky Attack
-Swords Dance

The premise of this moveset is to find an opportunity to nab a Swords Dance boost then use Sky Attack. While normally a two-turn move, the Power Herb will effectively take away the charge turn it normally has on its first turn, and is more powerful than Acrobatics (not with flying gem of course, but we can't use that anymore.) I haven't done damage calcs on it, but I don't think much would like to take a +2 one-turn Sky Attack (not to mention the 30% flinch rate that it carries.) This will also activate Unburden, will allow Hawlucha to use a 110 base power Acrobatics, and will enable him to sweep teams with Swords Dance boosted High Jump Kicks and Acrobatics. Adamant is best if you're looking for that extra bit of power that Hawlucha values greatly, use Jolly if you want the extra speed before Unburden.

It's good for wallbreaking, I guess, but it leaves you unable to Baton Pass or carry a coverage move. I can see it having its own specific viability though,

It's good for wallbreaking, I guess, but it leaves you unable to Baton Pass or carry a coverage move. I can see it having its own specific viability though,
I did think about that, since I saw some of the sets had an extra move that this Hawlucha couldn't have because of Sky Attack. But as you pointed out, I think both sets would have a different niche, where the Baton Pass set would be a sweeping/support set, this set would focus more on it sweeping on its own. And as far as coverage moves go, I couldn't find much better than Stone Edge, which isn't even that great on its own if you have STAB High Jump Kick and Acrobatics, so I figured it wouldn't hurt him to forgo a coverage move for Sky Attack.

It sounds like a good idea, but the viability is really going to be dependent on how the metagame develops. I've been testing Hawlucha fairly extensively, and Aegislash is almost always the go-to move for the opponent. More than 50% of the teams I've faced have carried one, and they hard wall any set that doesn't BP. Baton Pass works great because there's nothing they can do about it, moreso because they tend to Swords Dance under the belief that you can't really hurt them. Even if Sky Attack criticals and you grabbed a SD on Aegislash's switch in, it's not putting Aegislash in KO range of Acrobatics on the next turn, whereas Aegislash's own +2 Shadow Sneak will OHKO. And if it uses King's Shield instead, you'll have just wasted your item, your unburden boost, and your +2 from Sword's Dance and will be forced to switch out on the next turn.

If Aegislash usage drops, I can see the SA variant being a good wallbreaker, but it isn't going to do much whilst Aegislash is on every team.

Hawlucha @ Power Herb
Adamant/Jolly Nature
Unburden
-High Jump Kick
-Acrobatics
-Sky Attack
-Swords Dance

In this case, I would rather go without an item then rely on sky attack, which leaves you vulnerable one turn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)