Hen's Digital Art

:D hehe. Glad you liked that one.

Ok, I decided to attempt some pixel art today. It's a first for me, so I used the official artwork as my reference.

It's Tortimer! This is from the official artwork for City Folk.

o.O the picture looks a lot different than it did in photoshop. I'm not sure why it looks like there's holes where there shouldn't be. o.O Dagnabbit.

Well since i'm the resident pixel artist i'll help you out.

I think the problem's probably caused by Photoshop. There's 255 colours used in your picture which means the tool you're using's bleeding. Since there's so many colours it isn't actually pixel art but that really isn't your fault. You can either switch to MSpaint which is all you need or read this if you want to stay with Photoshop: Link

PS: Don't use layers to trace, it's not going to help your art skills. ;p Do it by eye if that not what you're doing already. Dang, Photoshop really is bad for beginner pixel artists with all its daft filters but the layers and animation's pretty good.

Thanks, that looks like a really helpful tutorial.

I normally do everything either from my own head or by eye, but I wanted to have a go at the pixeling, not my skill of forming a pixeled character, hence the heavy use of the reference.

Hmm. Good question.

I have a few bigger projects in the works. I'm doing a vector of my daughter running with her balloon, I'm doing a digital painting of my mom's horse and other random things here and there.

I do things like Tortimer here to help give me some variety instead of staring at the same unfinished horse or girl.

I have a list of characters I'm supposed to draw for the animal crossing forum I go to. I like doing random pokemon here and there too.

So basically, I don't know what will pop out of me next but it could be pokemon or ac or POSSIBLY a horse or cute lil girl <3

Lorak

*leekspin*
is an Artist Alumnus
Harsh-ish criticism time... Highlight to read. You were warned. ;-;

If those curves are to be cheekbones, the right cheek seems to end abruptly on the Chatot. The beak is also askew to perspective, seen straight-on, compared to the rear music-note protrusion. (See... your avatar. :V) The shape of the beak and nostril holes are the primary contributing factors, which could be remedied by flattening one side, and further curving the other. The right talon could be a bit lower, or the left a tad higher, and the angle of the string less steep, to fit the perspective of the wings, head, and body. And yeah, the wings are a tad small/oddly-shaped. See below picture, for what I mean about the wing.

Lorak. Didn't you see the 'quick and dirty' part of the description? No reference was used... I just felt like doodling. (and this is what I get for not using a reference at ALL)

Well anyway, I *do* appreciate you taking time to give me some feedback. I certainly will come to you when I'm looking for someone to help out with this.

Emp- almost like a pearl necklace! Lol. Future chatot fan art in the making *ponders* Thank you.

Lorak

*leekspin*
is an Artist Alumnus
Lorak. Didn't you see the 'quick and dirty' part of the description? No reference was used... I just felt like doodling.

Well anyway, I *do* appreciate you taking time to give me some feedback. I certainly will come to you when I'm looking for someone to help out with this.
I know what you mean. Just trying to help for future sketches... you know what they say, knowing is half the battle... please don't kill me ._.

And you're welcome. :o

I 'spose I should add this to my gallery too.

Made for the what if *pokemon* were *type* ?? thread. It's fab. Go check out that thread!

Lorak

*leekspin*
is an Artist Alumnus
Hen, your question is answered within my thread. On a side note, awesome remix of Torterra, and *bump*.

Thanks Lorak :D

Alright.. super messy chatot to add to the mix.

Lol.. sortof a rayman effect goin' on with the feet :P

Lorak

*leekspin*
is an Artist Alumnus
Thanks Lorak :D

Alright.. super messy chatot to add to the mix.

Lol.. sortof a rayman effect goin' on with the feet :P
Given your avatar and most recent picture, I'd say you like that pose quite a bit, hm?

D: >.>

YES. Lol. I like the curious head tipping thing..

EXCEPT my avatar- she's eyeing something getting ready to paint it. See the paintbrush & paint! She's being artsy.

omgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomg
Chatot! :D
Love the Chatot with the tilted head. One of my favourites that actually is quite usable in UU with Encore, Nasty Plot, Heat Wave, Hyper Voice. But yeah, you know...goooood job.

(Sorry for the messy post) :o

Thanks guys ^_^

Lol diinbong, I like chatot a lot.. probably not quite as much as you though!

I have a new computer finally. This means that I can start drawing on the computer again.

This is my 'warm up' practice:

Sketchy 'n' quick but snuggly :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)