Her Smile

Her Smile

Introduction

Since the generation began my teams have been becoming more and more defensively minded, and in the last suspecting round I decided I would give full-on stall in B/W OU a try. I had some experience, having played stall in DPP and not a whole lot has changed this generation. On the other hand a plethora of dangerous offensive forces have arisen, and it's become increasingly difficult to handle all of them with 6 Pokemon. For a period a little over a month I messed around with stuff and did fairly well on the ladder, hitting a bit over the 1400 mark, but despite being able to maintain the ranking I just felt like my team didn't function as well as I wanted it too. With rapid spin Excadrill's popularity on the rise my matches often felt very uphill. However with the banning of both Excadrill and Thundurus I became determined to create a fresh stall team featuring a spin blocker! Upon actually attempting to build the team though I kept running into walls. Whether I attempted a variation of sand, classic, or rain stall the team just didn't feel right, I couldn't afford to place x over y, or perhaps by checking something with one poke I opened my self up to something else. Whenever I tried out these teams they did pathetically floundering around near the bottom of the ladder, I just couldn't come up with something I thought worked. I was mulling it over one school day in the middle of class, and realized I was fretting too much over small holes in the team, and I should just make a team I enjoyed using. I took another stab at it, but this time with the goal of having fun and trying some new stuff. The name of the team comes from the alt I used with this team: Her smile.

This team although it's a bit shaky and has some glaring weaknesses, was just fun in general to play with and use. Surprisingly it was a bit more successful then the versions that came before it, which I think can be chalked up to my attitude, when using this team. I tend to just relax and play as apposed to being a bit more into it. Often I find this helps me read my opponents a little bit better, as well as makes the game more fun. While this team didn't achieve any insane ranking or win any tournaments it still did alright peaking in the mid 1400s.
I feel this team could have achieved more, but frankly I just don't think I possess the skill to push it any higher. All in all, this has been one of my favorite teams ever to use, and I hope you enjoy this attempt at an RMT :S

TEAM BUILDING PROCESS

I began with a trio. As previously stated I wanted to use Jellicent, but my other two originally came from a previous team. I have always liked Skarm more than Gliscor and Forretress, both as a spiker and as a physically defensive poke mostly due to it's Phazing and it's auto recovery in roost, so it found a spot on the team. I had also used a physically defensive Celebi with perish song on my last team, and added it to my original two. with this I had most physically based threats decently covered, had spikes, a Phazer, a spin-blocker, and perish song. I was pretty happy with these 3, and started building off of them.I was still in need of a few key things such as rocks and a spinner. This is were the team-building got tricky, and I expanded on a bunch of different ideas, resulting in a lot of different teams, none of which were very successful. In one Forre and Skarm ended up trading places, but most of these teams I discarded after a few games.

Out of luck and unable to make anything I liked aside from my original three pokes I asked for suggestions on Fal's website (a place I frequently visit) and got a great one. It was suggested that I change Celebi out for a Specially defensive Roserade. On paper it looked really good, and I was willing to give it a shot. Celebi was only covering a few threats such as Breloom, Conkeldurr, Where as Roserade could Provide spikes/T-spikes and give my team much more special bulk.

Now I only had three spots left, and had to cover the a ton of threats, while finding a rapid spinner, and maybe squeezing more hazards in. I could take a dozen different routes with the remaining 3 slots, but I wanted to make something fun. When looking for a rapid spinner I had a few options. I could go with good old Tentacruel or Forretress, but their typing was a bit conflicting they just didn't seem like good fits, Starmie and Donphan while a very potent spinner each with a lot of potential didn't impress me as much as Hitmontop. While they seemed good on paper I found Top had better synergy, and could spin easier than the other two even though Starmie could potentially maneuver around Jellicent. Hitmontop could basically come in on TTar, Scizor, Ferrothorn, and some other common pokes, and always get off the spin without much to fear, where as Starmie and Donphan, despite their strengths, had to be cautious around more Pokes.

At this stage I had some options. With the remaining two pokes I had two effectively cover a variety of threats, such as Specs Latios, while also taking on Reuniclus, Volcarona, and the like. My main two thoughts were adding Heatran or Jirachi, and Latias. In the end I chose Jirachi, adding another buffer against Reuniclus and better handling threats like CM Latios and Gengar. This version of the team was much more successful then I had expected, and I was amazed at how well Hitmontop and Roserade functioned together. While this wasn't the final team, It could potentially have been…

Had I not discovered Specially defensive Dragonite. I felt I was far too weak to Volcarona, and fighting types to an extent. Despite the huge spike in Spdef-nite usage thanks to M Dragon's team, I actually started considering it after I saw the team SuperMarioBro and Yee made together. The sub/roosting set was definitely much more fitting. And so the team became what it is as of now.

After posting this as an Rmt, Perish song spdef Celebi presented itself as a possibility over Rade. Situationally it can be immensely helpful, and is included as an honorary member with it's set in the conclusion. I really can't pick between it and Rade, either can work, and both have their ups and downs.

IN DEPTH

Hitmontop (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 216 Def / 40 Spd
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Close Combat
- Toxic/Foresight
- Rest
- Rapid Spin​

Hitmontop is scarcely seen in OU, but he's an invaluable member of this team. His primary goal is to get the field clear of hazards, and he does an excellent job of it. Although he may be overshadowed in a few ways by other commonplace spinners, he has several defining features. His typing ability and natural bulk make him an excellent switch in to Tyranitar, who the rest of the team has some serious trouble with. His natural bulk allows him to get off a spin with fair ease.
Hitmontop is Roserade's best friend since the main problems he runs into are set up upon by Radey. My main gripe is his inability to hit a lot of pokes effectively, giving a lot of pokes free switch ins. Although this is somewhat problematic, the rest of the team can handle the majority of OU. Obviously Top's main attraction is rapid spin, so that's a must Toxic is to effectively cripple things hoping to set up, or spin-block, and close combat is a 120 base power STAB-boosted move. The slightly unorthodox twist on this poke is rest, which is not to viable without support, but this team does have a cleric so I thought the extra longevity might be beneficial. I've tried both a Donphan with SR and a rapid spin Starmie over Hitmontop, both with lesser results.

While Donphan would give me both SR and Rapid Spin, I find he has a harder time spinning. It sounds kind of weird, but his ground typing and poor specD force him to be very wary of much of OU, whereas Top has a much smaller pool of threats. While having a solid stealth rocker would be nice Hitmontop does a better job of Spinning reliably, and sticking around to do so. Starmie is also an interesting option, but I think it's conflicting typing, and 4 move-slot syndrome are a bit disheartening. I would most likely be using it, but then I would have no reliable switch into Tyranitar and on top of that my spinner would be both set-up fodder and easy prey for the most common spiker in OU: Ferrothorn. Hitmontop on the other hand doesn't have anything to fear with intimidate and decent defenses, allowing him to spin freely and even force Ferrothorn out. He provides an interesting defensive pivot, for example he takes a mere 19.74-23.68% from CB Terrakion's Stone edge. He's a very solid member of the team over all with 304 hp in tandem with 317 defense and intimidate on top of that allowing him to do his job of spinning away hazards that would cause harm to the other team members. - Foresight is used when I have Celebi over Radey, to aid me in getting toxic spikes off the field as quickly as possible, it's a slight change, and I prefer Toxic, but it works better without an absorber.

Skarmory (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 232 Def / 24 Spd
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Spikes
- Roost
- Whirlwind
- Brave Bird​

Skarm is here to set up Stealth Rock and Phaze. It supports the rest of the team taking on a plethora of physical hits, and keeping Haxorous at bay. It also is my best defense against Landorous who seems to be gaining more and more popularity since Excadrill's banishment. Obviously it can't handle a lot of hard hitters on it's own, but it has pretty good synergy with the rest of the team, and I can use it as my main defensive pivot, although it flat out walls some pokes. Probably one of Gliscor's biggest boons is the ability to take on Conkeldurr, Breloom, and to an extent Terrakion. Skarm has trouble with all three of the aforementioned Pokes, but that's where team support comes in. Terrakion is pretty easy to play around when choiced thanks to Top and Jellicent, and Breloom is stopped by dragonite, while Conkeldurr can be phased out by Dnite, who will take pretty minimal damage in return.

Stall is essentially all about the passive damage utilizing entry hazards, and skarm can provide two different kinds: spikes and Stealth rock. I decided to go with Spikes in the end because I find that Jirachi can run SR without really compromising it's longevity too much. Brave bird ensures that I'm not beaten by the likes of taunt DD haxorous, and can be very helpful for picking things at low health off. Roost is a 50% healing move, and is my only source of recovery outside of leftovers, while whirlwind allows me to throw out boosting sweepers. In addition to all this skarmory is my best answer to dragonite despite a +1 fire punch being a 2HKO. The general protocol is to go to Jellicent and burn away the Lum, while they generally go for another DD (assuming they grabbed on on my switch out from Rachi or something) and then go back to skarm to tank the outrage, and phaze Dragonite away. With the help of SR and smart play I can generally beat it without too much trouble. Skarmory is also a pretty great switch in to Gliscor, generally forcing them out, and allowing me to set up SR, or check what their initial switch in might be with whirlwind, potentially racking up hazard damage. Skarm stands as essentially the only thing that can stop the Acrobat set, although I need to be wary of random Gliscor's running taunt, despite the move's slight fall in usage on Glis. Skarm is a key player, and takes hits quite reliably so that others have less need to.

Roserade (F) @ Black Sludge
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SDef / 4 Spd
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Toxic Spikes
- Sleep Powder
- Giga Drain
- Aromatherapy​

Roserade has greatly impressed me. This set was a little bit odd, carrying Hidden power ground and Aromatherapy, but it worked. Now however with no need to run spikes, I switched over to a toxic spiking varient. I think Roserade needs to be played to it's strong suites, and if I didn't think aromatherapy was that important chances are I would be using ferrothorn. This team really only has Jellicent and Dragonite to handle Heatran, and both can take on offensive sets, however the lefties recover, rocks, and toxic are all trouble for the aforementioned duo. That's where Roserade can come in. Sleep powder (despite never hitting) is an amazing move due to the new sleep mechanics. Roserade also sports Toxic spikes which are a huge boost for the team, allowing it to more easily overcome stall breakers like Mew, and really any Pokemon vulnerable to toxic. Additionally Rose scores pretty much free set-up against most bulky waters. Aromatherapy isn't used too often, but I find that curing random Statuses and awakening Hitmontop make it more than worth the move-slot. Giga drain is my only forms of recovery outside of wish support, and It packs a fair punch, while restoring HP which in correlation with black sludge provides okay recovery. Running black sludge which is very questionable, but nothing on the team likes to take trick, and this is my best thing to switch in. I would much rather have a crippled Rotom-W spending time trying to predict switches and trick again, as apposed to having no resistance against the move. A lot of players would opt for leftovers instead, which I originally had, but having played this team both with and without BS I prefer it.

Roserade serves a very important purpose since it's my main switch into Rotom-W, who can give the rest of the team some trouble. She is also part of the two Pokemon tag-team I use to handle Starmie, who can be quite troublesome and additionally takes on Politoed quite well in general helping me handle rain a bit more effectively. Being the sole electric resist can put a bit of pressure on Rosey, but Dragonite and Jirachi can generally help her bear the burden. Roserade also has the ability to absorb Toxic spikes on the switch in, allowing me to occasionally avoid having to go to Hitmontop to spin, and furthers it's ability to preform it's main goal: Supporting the rest of the team, while setting up T-spikes.

Jellicent (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Water Absorb
EVs: 248 HP / 204 Def / 56 Spd
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Scald
- Taunt
- Recover
- Will-O-Wisp​

Jellicent has been guaranteed a spot on this team since the beginning. Part of the purpose of this team was to use spin-blockers in OU since their viability massively increased with the banning of Excadrill. Gengar's bulk leaves lots to be desired, and I'm really not a fan of Confagrigus, Spiritomb, or Dusclops. The set is your standard defensive Jellyfish with a pinch more speed. All of the moves are fairly self explanatory, so I don't feel the need to discuss they're uses too much. Let's just move right along and dive into the things Jellicent has to stop and how it does that, shall we?

Jelly is obviously here to stop spinners. and he does well against Tentacruel, Hitmontop, Donphan, and Forretress (even despite the prevalence of volt switch) however Starmie is problematic. Jellicent takes 51-60% from an LO timid thunderbolt, and can't stall out for long, especially since thunderbolt has more PP than recover >_> . The general plan is to initially bring Jelly in expecting the spin, and then go to Roserade on the bolt as she can easily KO with giga drain, and will recover off ice beam's damage with ease. While it's not the best method of stopping Starmie I'll either kill it and lose my hazards, or kill it and take some damage. If it turns out it doesn't have rapid spin, then I just need to deal with it using other pokes. Roserade is my best bet, but if it's on low hp or something Rachi can step in for a second. Jellicent stops lots of common threats that would harm this team such as Heatran, Infernape, Scizor, SD luke (with ice punch), and is scarily enough my best answer to taunt Gliscor :(

Jellicent serves one last function that I haven't yet mentioned: being a stall breaker. He's pretty bad at this compared to Mew, but he works wonders against slow defensive teams, If I can get him in on something like Blissey or Gastrodon A slow death will ensue. Jellicent is my spin-blocker and a great defensive pivot in general.

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Trait: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 216 SDef / 40 Spd
Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Body Slam
- Iron Head
- Wish
- Stealth Rocks​

Ah Jirachi, while I think this set really squanders his potential it's pretty much a saving grace as far as a few threats are concerned. I would be kind of screwed against anyone who used CM Lati@s if I wasn't packing this little bugger. Jirachi patches up a plethora of threats, and while I won't go into to much detail about them I will highlight how I handle CM Reuniclus and Spikes lead Deoxys-S. Reuniclus has 8 focus blasts, meaning essentially 8 shots at taking out Jirachi successfully. Combine that with a 70% accuracy ratio and para flinching… Things don't look good for Reuniclus. That being said many smart Reuniclus users will merely Recover and Cm ad infinitum until I run out of my precious Iron heads. I very, very rarely have both an opponent this smart, AND fail to flinch Reuniclus to death, but it happens. Dragonite can step in and attempt to stall from there, but it's an anomaly for him to do so since Rachi handles it most of the time. Spiking Deoxys-S is also a potential issue. Generally I will paralyze it and attempt to flinch it down until it's on very low health, then switch to Hitmontop. If it doesn't have Psycho Boost then it's smooth sailing, but if it does I will lose Hitmontop for the cost of a rapid spin. That's where Rachi is crucial, Slowing it down can potentially mean the match.

The move-set is nothing to write home about, every move has a distinct purpose and I can't really afford to change much. Thunder wave was used over body slam because there are some threats I simply can't afford not to paralyze, and I wanted to increase my odds as much as possible. That was my train of thought, but having tested Slam over Wave I ended up liking body slam's ability to hit prominent taunters. Wish is a big attraction, and I find a lot of use for it both in forcing my opponent into mind-games, and healing up Roserade. While protect used to be there, I found Rachi could handle itself just fine, and sport SR instead. Iron head the best option hands down for the last move, the flinch rate and neutral damage against most things it needs to hit such as Virizion.

Dragonite (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Multi-Scale
EVs: 252 HP / 68 SAtk / 184 SDef / 4 Spd
- Dragon Tail
- Roost
- Substitute
- Flamethrower​

Dragonite is in my opinion one of, if not the best Pokemon in OU as of now. It's many sets all pose huge threats, and it's versatility is amazing. Dragonite used to be Latias, until I felt the team really couldn't handle Volcarona, so I made the change and haven't looked back since. This set holds off an amazing amount of threats with it's general bulk, but if you have multi-scale activated your golden, this thing roosts off LO dragon-pulses from Latios. If that's not impressive I don't know what is. The main threats Dragonite handles are Volcarona and Celebi, before hand the team struggled with the, but not anymore! He also facilitates a different Role: eliminating Certain steel Pokemon, and shuffling in general. Flamethrower is generally un-expected and bringing down Skarmory, Forretress, and Ferrothorn expecting a para-shuffler or Stone-Cold-Nite is incredibly helpful overall. Additionally he serves a second line of defense to Reuniclus, Gengar, and helps handle Spdef Heatran should any team member be too low on Hp or crippled in some way. His phazing abilities are pretty beneficial as well, and the ability to rack up hazard damage is fun :3 The EV's give me the speed to outpace Skarm, Tran, and Dnite 3 prominent defensive pHazers.

The move-set is fairly self explanatory. with roost being the obvious 50% healing move it is, and substitute being substitute. Dragon tail is an interesting new move we picked up this generation, and it's pretty cool, the damage along with hazard damage will often wear down defensive pokes without recovery. Flamethrowers uses have already been mentioned, but it also adds a little type coverage, and while fire blast could be a better pick for getting 2HKOs on some select Pokemon I find the PP and perfect accuracy make up for the loss in power.

Despite patching up a few specific weaknesses, dragonite also does really well against sun in general, He can stop Volcarona dead, and shrugs off Venusaur and Lilligant's hits as well. He really rounds the team out more or less patching up the majority of holes that I have at this point.

Conclusion​
So there you have it, this team's been fun to use, and I wanted to post it here so I don't forget about it. This team has been somewhat successful, but I think I'll pick it back up later after the metagame has shifted a little and the dust has settled. All in all I had a ton of fun playing around with this and would love to get some great rates possibly vastly improving the team. I really wanted to include t-spikes although I'm hesitant to remove protect, or shift around my team. I'm also considering a Donphan or Forre over Top, but he's working just fine as is.

When writing this I tried to elaborate on the strong suites of my pokes, so sometimes I use prediction as an example when in general I shouldn't have to predict :S I will include a few specific threats below that I find to be hard to deal with, or some threats that I need to better explain my handling methods. Thanks for taking the time to read, and hopefully rate this!

Having gotten some solid rates I tested them. One main change stood out: Celebi over Rade. I was very uncertain, but I gave it a try. Losing a toxic spiker, and even more importantly a TS absorber hurt in a lot of situations, but Celebi does an amazing job of stopping CM Rachi, this teams main threat, dead. I run the following set when using Jirachi over Roserade:

Celebi @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 220 SDef / 36 Spd
- Recover
- Perish Song
- Giga Drain
- Heal Bell

I won't go into great detail about how I use it since it's pretty obvious. Basically Jirachi becomes a non-issue, and I have an instant recovery move. While this set patches up a big hole, and makes the team really solid, I think Rose vs Cele is a choice, and the team can function with either. Honestly both pokes are pretty cool. Rade makes the team function better, but Celebi gives me an easy way to work around my biggest threat. I really can't decide between the two, and as of now I use them as different teams. I Thought Celebi deserved it's mention so I've put it as a member here.

Large Threats
CM Jirachi is a massive threat and I have no solid way of handling it. My best bet is to hope that it's a wish Cm or a random 3 attacks set so that Dnite can simply Phaze it out. This guy is a really big problem and is near impossible to play around. Using Celebi it becomes a non-issue.
Mence you tricky bastard. All sets carry flamethrower or fire blast so Skarm is unable to stop him, and Jellicent doesn't appreciate taking outrages. When I see Mence in the team preview I get up rocks as quickly as possible, and generally end up relying on synergy, and potentially catching him on the switch. Dragonite takes 70.98-83.42% damage from the 252 attack DD variant's outrage assuming no boosts and can deal 55.29-65.26% back while pHazing mence out, and Hitmontop can intimidate switch if need be. Mence isn't an insanely massive problem, if I play intelligently.
Life orb Starmie is a jerk. If it has rapid spin it becomes a bit less problematic since the chances of it having recover decrease, but aside from wearing it down Roserade is the only thing that can effectively beat it. Jirachi can win one on one, but it's back in business after switching out.
FFS. Stall-breaker Mew does what it's name suggests, and It destroys this team, however the change Of body slam over thunder wave on Jirachi helps a ton. Using Celebi gives me an additional out, as do toxic spikes. If worst comes to worst I can attempt to scald burn it and then stall it out.

Taunt SD is the only set that gives me trouble, but man it does just that. Skarm can handle any other version, but Really against taunt SD I need to be careful, and not allow him to get in for free. Jellicent is key to stopping this thing, but it's a shaky check at best.

LAME!
St00piDest teem in eggstance!!11! U stawl no0B.
^
Nah but in all honesty, I've tried this team myself (with some minor personal adjustments) and it was pretty solid. This is however a great example of ones own creation, as I have seen you use this team and you do it was better than I ever could.
Congrats on your success Nub! I hope I do not start seeing cores of Jelly/Rade/Skarm flying everywhere. >_>

San_Pellegrino

the eternal dreamer
is a Team Rater Alumnus
Hi,

I actually really like this team, because it shifts away from the standard defensive cores. However, this team is weak to all the stallbreakers, Jellicent/Gengar/Mew. Each can come in and rip your team apart slowly. What I have to solve this is to use a Perish Song Celebi.

Celebi @ Leftovers | Natural Cure
Calm | 252 HP / 220 SpDef / 36 Spe
Perish Song | U-turn | Leaf Storm | Recover

Although a little novel, it will allow you to destroy stallbreakers, rain, and CM Jirachi who I see to be your biggest problems. Perish Song on Gengar and Mew, Leaf Storm on Jellicent. However, that biggest downside to making this change is becoming weak to Toxic Spikes, which I would usually be adverse to on a stall team, but this seems to me the least invasive solution.

To deal with your DD Mence / Nite issue, something you could try is Donphan over Hitmontop. It offers the same defenses against Rain teams (which both do poorly against) and gives you extra insurance against Sand by virtue of it's typing. With max HP and somewhere around 56 or 96 atk evs and rest in def, you'll have more immediate defense in comparison to Hitmontop, while a moveset of Stealth Rock | EQ | Ice Shard | Rapid Spin will allow you to do the same thing hitmontop did, only more efficiently (including KO'ing Mence w/Shard after rocks I believe). Again, you lose Toxic support yourself here, which I don't like on weatherless stall, but you do gain insurance against non stall teams. This means Skarmory can now run Spikes over Stealth Rock.

Lastly, Jirachi really needs Body Slam over t-wave to paralyze Ground types, otherwise Jirachi is a sitting duck against the likes of Quag and Gastrodon.

Great team, and gl

Hi,

I actually really like this team, because it shifts away from the standard defensive cores. However, this team is weak to all the stallbreakers, Jellicent/Gengar/Mew. Each can come in and rip your team apart slowly. What I have to solve this is to use a Perish Song Celebi.

Celebi @ Leftovers | Natural Cure
Calm | 252 HP / 220 SpDef / 36 Spe
Perish Song | U-turn | Leaf Storm | Recover

Although a little novel, it will allow you to destroy stallbreakers, rain, and CM Jirachi who I see to be your biggest problems. Perish Song on Gengar and Mew, Leaf Storm on Jellicent. However, that biggest downside to making this change is becoming weak to Toxic Spikes, which I would usually be adverse to on a stall team, but this seems to me the least invasive solution.

To deal with your DD Mence / Nite issue, something you could try is Donphan over Hitmontop. It offers the same defenses against Rain teams (which both do poorly against) and gives you extra insurance against Sand by virtue of it's typing. With max HP and somewhere around 56 or 96 atk evs and rest in def, you'll have more immediate defense in comparison to Hitmontop, while a moveset of Stealth Rock | EQ | Ice Shard | Rapid Spin will allow you to do the same thing hitmontop did, only more efficiently (including KO'ing Mence w/Shard after rocks I believe). Again, you lose Toxic support yourself here, which I don't like on weatherless stall, but you do gain insurance against non stall teams. This means Skarmory can now run Spikes over Stealth Rock.

Lastly, Jirachi really needs Body Slam over t-wave to paralyze Ground types, otherwise Jirachi is a sitting duck against the likes of Quag and Gastrodon.

Great team, and gl
Funnily enough I started out with a perish song Celebi over Rade although it had a slightly different set. This would be really helpful against CM rachi and Mew, although I feel Gengar and Rain are both pretty manageable as of now. If I do try both switches the loss of aromatherapy would be lessened as well. That's a pretty fun idea to play around with and I'll be sure to try it out, thanks for your rate!

Hey I got the message! This is a really good team, AND a really good rmt (in which you tell me what the big threats are so I don't have to figure it out! lovely). Anyways I generally agree that Donphan would be a lot better over Hitmontop- I know Intimidate is really useful and bull, but it not only gives you a secondary dragon counter, but also allows you to use Spikes on Skarmory and Toxic Spikes/ Sleep Powder on Roserade (over HP Ground). I don't necessarily think that you ought to use Body Slam though- Gastrodon or Quagsire are both Pokemon you can't even touch anyway, even when paralyzed.

Beyond that, there isn't much I can change without irrevocably fucking your team synergy! Donphan will probably help against Gliscor and Salamence and Jirachi I think is actually handled okay by Dragonite, but Mew and Starmie continue to manhandle you (and everybody else and their stall team!) Something you might consider would actually be Shadow Ball over Scald on Jellicent, like I used to use on stall. It will help you ought loads against Starmie and Mew, and even if you get burned, you can use Aromatherapy on Rose to help you out. It's also good as an emergency check to Reuniclus. This does open you up to a degree against Gliscor, but if you play Donphan carefully you should be alright. Most smart Gliscor users won't keep a Gliscor in against a Jellicent anyway, so you ought to be able to scare it away. Skarmory can still BB away at it while it does little in return, and Dragonite can phaze it. That's really all I can suggest, this is a very well crafted team. I hope this helps!

tehy

Banned deucer.
Why not make prankster sableye your spinblocker? He can counter all those stallbreakers, and hard-counter reuiniclus. This leaves you unable to touch taunt SD scor, but if you can find a slot for that somewhere on your team then you're good. (A spinning starmie over hitmontop could work.

Why not make prankster sableye your spinblocker? He can counter all those stallbreakers, and hard-counter reuiniclus. This leaves you unable to touch taunt SD scor, but if you can find a slot for that somewhere on your team then you're good. (A spinning starmie over hitmontop could work.
It could clear up some problems and by switching to starmie I could preserve some of my synergy.I feel Jellicent's general bulk, and pivoting ability is much more important, however making both those switches is something I'll think about, since it would provide a lot of benefits.

Hey I got the message! This is a really good team, AND a really good rmt (in which you tell me what the big threats are so I don't have to figure it out! lovely). Anyways I generally agree that Donphan would be a lot better over Hitmontop- I know Intimidate is really useful and bull, but it not only gives you a secondary dragon counter, but also allows you to use Spikes on Skarmory and Toxic Spikes/ Sleep Powder on Roserade (over HP Ground). I don't necessarily think that you ought to use Body Slam though- Gastrodon or Quagsire are both Pokemon you can't even touch anyway, even when paralyzed.

Beyond that, there isn't much I can change without irrevocably fucking your team synergy! Donphan will probably help against Gliscor and Salamence and Jirachi I think is actually handled okay by Dragonite, but Mew and Starmie continue to manhandle you (and everybody else and their stall team!) Something you might consider would actually be Shadow Ball over Scald on Jellicent, like I used to use on stall. It will help you ought loads against Starmie and Mew, and even if you get burned, you can use Aromatherapy on Rose to help you out. It's also good as an emergency check to Reuniclus. This does open you up to a degree against Gliscor, but if you play Donphan carefully you should be alright. Most smart Gliscor users won't keep a Gliscor in against a Jellicent anyway, so you ought to be able to scare it away. Skarmory can still BB away at it while it does little in return, and Dragonite can phaze it. That's really all I can suggest, this is a very well crafted team. I hope this helps!
Thanks for the praise Smith, it means a lot! I think I'll definitely test Donphan for a while, since this team really craves Toxic Spikes, although I'm not sure how I'll like the lessened survivability he has when compared with Top. Shadow Ball is a really cool Idea on Jellicent though. I'm a little concerned on how I'll handle Heatran, but that's something I'll play around with. Thanks for taking the time to give me a rate :D

San_Pellegrino

the eternal dreamer
is a Team Rater Alumnus
^^On that note, you'll still have Wish support from Jirachi, as well as a Roserade to keep Donphan healthy status wise. It'll be a bit more work but it should be manageable with Donphan's decent type synergy with Jirachi.

Hey there; got your message so here I am :]

First off, I agree with everyone on Donphan > Hitmontop, and moving Spikes to Skarmory.

Now, the combination of Rotom-W + Scizor proves to be a major problem for this team. Dragonite is the only pokemon you have that can defeat both of them, but Rotom-W can cripple it with Will-O-Wisp. If you fail to get off Rapid Spin, it will become almost impossible to defeat this combination. The threats that you mentioned, especially SD + Taunt Gliscor, are severe as well.

By running a Nasty Plot Celebi over Roserade, you can easily decimate the Rotom-W + Scizor combination, and defeat Mew. It can also defeat SD Gliscor and CM Jirachi 1 on 1, making it a perfect choice for your team.

Nasty Plot Celebi
Celebi @ Leftovers
EVs: 200 HP / 252 SAtk / 56 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Nasty Plot
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Giga Drain
- Recover

Celebi can still function as your status absorber, and is much more durable due to Recover. The EV Spread allows Celebi to outspeed most variants of Gliscor (aside from SD Acrobatics but Skarmory beats that easily), Jirachi, and Mew.

Nice team and good presentation. Hope I helped, and good luck!

Great team here man, nicely put together. Many of the suggestions above are ones you should consider, and I have little to add. Body Slam and the SR/Spikes switch around are the most valuable changes you could make. A more offensive Dragonite set could also be considered, since Dragon Dances + Outrage (or CB) would make some good checks for some of your threat list. I know I'm not adding much, but a couple of changes could go a long way. Again, great team, and good luck.

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Thanks for the presentation, Nubagator! Awesome RMT and team!

I am not a stall player, so please take my comments with a grain of salt ;d

Unless you are really insecure about being able to Wish-Pass safely, you can try Fire Punch over Protect on Jirachi. That will break SubJirachi's substitute all the time. It also makes your team less vulnerable to DragMag tactics, which looks problematic to this team. It's a nice coverage move on Jirachi, who attracts the likes of Ferrothorn and Scizor, not letting your team lose the upper hand. Between the reliable 100% paralysis and the blessed Iron Head Flinches, Jirachi does a pretty good job at healing itself up, imo, without Protect.

Also, on Jellicent Hex can work over Will-O-Wisp to provide you with a better move to hit Starmie, and more importantly, Mew. Against a Starmie, Hex does ~43% damage, which is a good way to dent / finish off Starmie rather than Recover-stalling or being forced to switch in Roserade. If you manage to Scald-Burn Mew, buffed Hex + Burn, should do enough damage to not allow it to recover stall.

I really like ShakeItUp's Nasty Plot Celebi's suggestion. Celebi would be able to check Rain Jirachi quite well and provides you some much needed offense. You do lose Aromatherapy, so you would need to play around status more carefully. Putting Heal Bell or Earth Power > Recover for either status recovery or taking out Heatrans is feasible with Wish Support from Jirachi. Thunder Wave and Leech Seed are also good options, too.

Cool team Nubagator (particulary the Dnite ;)

I think you have bonded the members well enough so that only movesets and EVs can be changed to improve. To start, for Hitmontop, id settle for 216 defense EVs and put the extra EVs into speed to give a greater chance of outrunning Jellicent, the final defense EVs still leave you with a chance to get 2HKOed by Jolly CB Terk and +1 LO Terk.

I would also really recommend running more defense EVs on Roserade and HP Ice over Ground, because its not nearly as situational and complements the needs of the team better. HP Ground only hits Tran, who isn't a big problem at all. Between Jellicent and Dragonite you have the tools to deal with the main targets of HP Fire, Skarm and Forry. I would call either 252/120/136 calm or 252/160/96 calm the ideal balance. 160 defense EVs lets you absolutely gurantee standard Gliscor wont take you out at +2 with EQ, and because Rose has such a small defense stat to start with, it takes you a long way, for example CB Dugtrio actually KOes 4 defense Rose after SR and doesn't come close with a decent dose of def EVs.

On Jirachi, absolutely put Body Slam over Thunder Wave. It may only be a 60% chance to paralyze but thats always been enough for me, and lets you hit Taunters like Deo-s and Mew. It also hits ground types. The damage is nice but not the fact that it is Taunt/Magic Mirror proof is the reason to use it.

Edit- How did I forget, consider Drain Punch or Fire Punch on Jirachi, I would say U-Turn because Magnezone trolls you but then I remembered you don't have a Hippowdon or an Excadrill to go to from there. Jirachi is still a solid wall without Protect, not epic anymore but its for the best when you see the dreaded magnet.

That's all the nitpicking I have, great job. This is something I would like to use myself when I miss that Nite.

Thanks to everyone who has rated this team so far! I've got a few ideas floating around, so here's a quick synopsis of my options.

1. Switch Hitmontop for a Donphan with Stealth rocks so that Skarmory is free to run spikes, and Rade can run Toxic spikes.

2. Potentially switch Rade for a nasty plot celebi. I'm a little bit more hesitant to make this switch because it means I would lose the opportunity to use T-spikes and additionally I would lose aromatherapy, however Celebi would patch up more threats and make this team more solid.

3. Change moves of certain Party members like adding rocks, fire punch, or maybe even Drain punch to Rachi. Jellicent running Shadow-ball/Hex also seems pretty smart, and while it worries me a little how it would handle some threats the change could be very benificial.

I'll be testing some of the suggestions, and for now I'm thinking of trying Donphan, relocating my hazards, after that I'll give Celebi a try, as well as maybe fiddling around with jellicent.

I'm definitely changing to body slam since that alone could allow me to beat Mew, And I think HP ice on Roserade is more than worth a try. Once again thanks to everyone who's given me a rate!

Oh just a quick note- you could also try Shadow Ball or Hex over Taunt, instead of Scald. You actually already have a pretty good match up versus opposing stall teams so upon consideration, it's actually less useful than Scald which lets you hit Heatran and Gliscor harder.

You can fix two of your biggest problems - Mew and Jirachi - by simply running SpDef Heatran over your own Rachi [SR | Lava Plume | Protect | Roar]. Tran keeps the high special defense and HP that Rachi has, but it counters both threats to hell and back, while taking some pressure off Dragonite to beat sun teams. It also sets up SR reliably, so you can drop it on Skarmory for Spikes and then Roserade can use T-Spikes.

This change opens you up to Reuniclus a little bit but if you keep Dragonite healthy you should be fine. If you don't mind changing another member, CM + Roar Latias would make a great Dnite replacement because it's got similar typing while countering Reuniclus pretty much 100%; it also gives you an amazing late-game cleaner with all the hazard support. According to your Dragonite description, he was added because Volcarona was a problem but that's solved if you use Heatran, so Latias is ideal.

I definitely don't want you to drop Rade [especially not for Celebi] because its TSpikes capabilities - both setting up and absorbing - are crucial for facing opposing stall. Cele doesn't even stop the Rotom-W + Scizor combination, since HP Fire doesn't KO Scizor until it's lost a significant amount of HP.

Finally, try Foresight > Toxic on Hitmontop. This is the major difference between him and Donphan; getting a guaranteed Rapid Spin off against opposing stall is huge because Sableye is running all over the place; relying on TS to wear spin-blockers down is risky because that's not guaranteed to work, and the odds are next to zero if they've got a TS absorber of their own.

Just some food for thought, this is (imo) one of the best BW stall teams and should be considered for a spot in the archive.

This is just a flat out beautiful stall team you have here man, all I can do is offer some nitpicks. Perhaps you should consider rest > HP ground on Roserade, it offers instant healing because of aromatherapy. Also its probably much better to use a full out defensive spread on skamory because of how rare wob is.

I actually have to disagree with Toxic < Foresight, Hitmontop needs toxic or else it becomes fodder for nearly everything, if anything consider Rest < Foresight.

big thanks to everyone who's rated recently! I'm sorry I haven't responded, but I've been pretty busy. I tested Donphan over Hitmontop and I found I didn't much like the results. Perhaps it's just that I'm too used to playing with Top, but I found Donphan's inability to touch Ferrothorn very disheartening. That and having no recovery really made me unsure of Donphan, and he was generally one of the first to faint. He did come in handy against a few Teams I faced, but overall I found my self liking top more despite his lack of rocks.

I'm going to change Thunder-wave to body slam for sure, it's come in helpful where it mattered. I'm currently testing rocks over protect on Rachi in order to attain all three hazards. On that version of the team Rose has sleep powder over Hp ground. It's a pretty beneficial change thus far. However there are sometimes when i really want protect. I remember being critted by a Tornadus and being able to safely wish up.

I'll be sure to give donphan another shot when testing Celebi on the team, since I don't want to flat out rule him out. Roserade's EV spread will most likely change IF I end up going with HP ice.

Jelli's moves, Tran, another attacking move on rachi, and celebi are all going to be tested when I have the time (FU school.)

As a user of a similar team who loved the results, I'm skeptical on NP Celebi, Donphan, and Heatran. Roserade's Aromatherapy support is invaluable IMO, especially with Rest Hitmontop, Sub Roost Nite (who gets ruined by surprise status), and Jellicent, who doesn't want a surprise Toxic from a Forry, T spikes, etc. Not to mention you get to absorb T spikes. Celebi can realistically fit Heal Bell on its set though, and you could certainly use a solid Terrakion check. I would run Grass Move/Hidden Power/Recover/Heal Bell if you choose Celebi. It certainly doesn't sound like a fun set, it has bad 4 moveslot syndrome, and I can see problems with choosing which hazard to run Skarmory popping up, so I am still slightly skeptical.

Donphan just isn't a good spinner for lasting long IMO. It's not very resilient and, well, I'm sure you found any problem I would write here while you were testing it.

With or without Protect, Jirachi is an extremely solid, long lasting special wall. It's the closest thing to a Blissey replacement I've ever seen. It seems like a necessity for this team, with Tran in that slot, games against Alakazam, Latios, Virizion, Reuniclus, Tornadus, etc. etc. will become so much harder without it, if SR stays up (which it will now that you don't have Excadrill available) Dragonite won't be able to take off any pressure from them. It would be cool to give Tran SR and Skarm Spikes but I really don't think its for the best considering the longevity your team loses.

To sum it all up I think all of those changes are taking away too much from your team. The only role that can afford to be changed with this lineup is the spinner, so if for some reason you want a fresh lineup over this the only safe spot to change IMO is Top.

quick thing if a salamence gets a DD up he could sweep your whole team if hitmontop is dead or if hitmontop is alive get another dragon dance on your hitmon and sweep until it dies of toxic (i assume you would toxic it with hitmon).

Yee, I'm highly inclined to agree with you, however I feel obligated to try out every viable suggestion. I know myself, the team, and I know I probably won't feel comfortable with any major changes, and I'll probably end up just tweaking moves and spreads, but it's always worth a try. The team will most likely come out better on paper, but I may not end up using it that way.

I think in the end rachi will lose protect, I'm just not quite sure what for yet. Maybe It'll get rocks, or maybe I'll try to make Zone or CM Rachi more manageable. I could always try Fire punch to do both, but a lot of people go Rain Man style.

and @ truth or dare
I'm well aware of the threat Mence poses, but there's really not too much I could do without making major changes. However mence is less of a threat than it appears to be, depending on it's move set. Outrage makes it pretty easy for skarm to simply phaze it away, and on top of my synergy and rocks DD mence is pretty uncommon. Mence rears his head occasionally but It's generally mix mence.

I can't say for sure what I'd do if He came in on top, it would depend on the situation really. I could toxic off the bat, but what If I need to save top, what if his mence is on low health, ect, ect. While I don't have an air-tight answer to Mence, It's really all in how I play around him. Against most threats I can simply go to the appropriate poke, while mence forces prediction. The team can handle him, he's just very problematic.

Probably the last changes this team will see. I tried everyone's suggestions, and I've made some changes: Jirachi runs rocks over protect, Roserade had a move-set tweak since I changed out spikes and hp ground, and Finally Skarm runs Spikes now.

Aside from that Perish Song Celebi is awesome and I sometimes end up using it over Roserade. Both help the team in a different way, and really both versions work very well. I couldn't pick between them, and find them both extremely useful.

All in all, this has been a hella fun team to play with :D, thanks to everyone who left rates!

Ojama

Banned deucer.
Hi Nubagator,

Pretty nice Team you got there, that the kind of really solid Non-Weather Team. When I'm seeing your biggest Threats, I directly notice that Heatran works perfectly instead of Jirachi. Mew and Jirachi can't do anything against Heatran, and additionally, Heatran is a nice Switch for Salamence@Draco Meteor. Of course, the Specially Defensive Set is recommended there. I don't know what is better between Roar and Protect because with Roar you can Phaze Jirachi@CM and other things like that, and with Protect you can play with your Toxic Spikes. You already have Dragonite with Dragontail and Skarmory with Whirlwind, but the SubCMJirachi is really annoying there. So try both and choose the best one. Now, since your Roserade has Toxic Spikes, maybe you don't need Toxic on Heatran and it's why I'll suggest you to try Will O Wisp or Earth Power because you didn't notice it, but Heatran is probably your biggest Threat. So once again, try both and choose the best one. But since you'll run Lava Plume, Earth Power is probably better.

Heatran @ Leftovers
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 248 SDef / 8 Spd
- Lava Plume
- Earth Power
- Stealth Rock
- Roar / Protect

Now, as you said it, Gliscor@Swords Dance + Taunt is a large Threat there, and it's why I'll suggest you to run Ice Beam instead of Flammethrower on Dragonite. Flammethrower isn't really usefull there, you just use it for Ferrothorn, Skarmory and Forretress but they aren't a problem at all for your Team since you have Jellicent and Heatran. In addition, Ice Beam is much better than Flammethrower against opponents Dragonite even if you use Dragon Tail.

Now last thing, about Hitmontop. I think you're using Hitmontop because you needed a Spinner and you couldn't use Forretress or Starmie because you already had Jellicent and Skarmory. Hitmontop was perfect for the Balance. But Landorus and Terrakion can be really annoying for your Team, trust me. It's why I'll suggest you to use Claydol instead of Hitmontop. Claydol is really underrated in this Metagame, but it's a really good check for the best actual Pokemon in the Metagame, known as Terrakion. Actual Top Tiers are Terrakion, Landorus and Dragonite, and Claydol is a nice Switch for the first 2, and for the third, it depends of the Set (if it's the CB, Claydol is 2HKO on the Switch). In addition, Claydol is a nice Switch for Gliscor, but watch out if Claydol is under 50%, SDGliscor@Ice Fang will kill it.

Claydol@ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spd)
- Ice Beam
- Earthquake
- Rapid Spin
- Rest

Hope I helped you, GL with this Team and GG !

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)