Pokémon Hoopa

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with others that it could run a nice Scarf set (+252 Speed is enough to outrun Jolly Talonflame) but it really needs good coverage to make that happen, and until we know what TMs it has that is pretty tricky to judge. I'm not too hopeful in that regard, I can't think of any Psychic or Ghost pokemon with full elemental coverage in terms of special attacks - so hoping for Surf/Flamethrower/Ice Beam/Thunderbolt is probably a bit of a stretch.

I think another interesting thing is that its Attack is pretty respectable, allowing you to run a mixed set with relative ease - again dependent on the coverage it gets.

this is the description of hyperspace hole

"Using a hyperspace hole, the user appears right next to the target and strikes. This also hits a target using Protect or Detect."

all the two turn moves specifically mention how they attack on the second turn

"The user burrows, then attacks on the second turn. It can also be used to exit dungeons."
"The user vanishes somewhere, then strikes the target on the next turn. This move hits even if the target protects itself."
"The user soars, then strikes its target on the second turn. It can also be used for flying to any familiar town."

It definitely is not a two turn move
I've seen Hozu say that it was 2 turns. Wanna set the record straight for us, Kaphotics ?

So it gets Thunderbolt, Thunder Wave, Energy Ball, and Focus Blast among other things with STAB moves. Eh...good coverage. But no Will-O-Wisp sucks.

Last edited:

termi

bike is short for bichael
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
>no will-o-wisp

fuckin bust

also it has a lot of coverage moves but who the fuck cares when shadow ball + focus blast covers everything neutrally already. wasted potential: the mon

List of moves from TMs:

Psyshock, Calm Mind, Toxic, Hidden Power, Sunny Day, Taunt, Hyper Beam, Light Screen, Protect, Rain Dance, Safeguard, Frustration, Thunderbolt, Return, Psychic, Shadow Ball, Brick Break, Double Team, Reflect, Torment, Facade, Rest, Thief, Round, Focus Blast, Energy Ball, Fling, Charge Beam, Quash, Embargo, Giga Impact, Flash, Thunder Wave, Psych Up, Dream Eater, Grass Knot, Swagger, Sleep Talk, Substitute, Trick Room, Power-up Punch, Confide

Yeah, seems like it's meant to be a Doubles/Triples supporter with Quash. But it's not going to be allowed in official (Nintendo) tournaments anyway, so who cares?

List of moves from TMs:

Psyshock, Calm Mind, Toxic, Hidden Power, Sunny Day, Taunt, Hyper Beam, Light Screen, Protect, Rain Dance, Safeguard, Frustration, Thunderbolt, Return, Psychic, Shadow Ball, Brick Break, Double Team, Reflect, Torment, Facade, Rest, Thief, Round, Focus Blast, Energy Ball, Fling, Charge Beam, Quash, Embargo, Giga Impact, Flash, Thunder Wave, Psych Up, Dream Eater, Grass Knot, Swagger, Sleep Talk, Substitute, Trick Room, Power-up Punch, Confide

Yeah, seems like it's meant to be a Doubles/Triples supporter with Quash. But it's not going to be allowed in official (Nintendo) tournaments anyway, so who cares?
Gets thief when Magician is its ability, thanks gamefreak

I just saw that Diancie too can learn Trick Room. I dunno, but these two might work decently together, compensating some of their weaknesses and blasting "fast" nukes while the room is up. I mean, Diancie resists Dark and is pretty bulk (but of course can't take an Iron Head from Aegi, maybe something like Skarmory could make for a good defensive trio).

EDIT: sorry if I sound redundant talking about Trick Room, but considering that power and that "speed" that's the better option I can think of.

updated with the tm list

fuck me this thing doesn't even get shadow claw or any physical psychic move. that attack stat really was a waste.

Also added a choice scarf set so the op isn't barren of movesets

I'm honestly just glad that this thing gets Focus Blast, so at least Tyranitar and Bisharp will have to think twice about switching in. A Choice Specs set with Shadow Ball + Psyshock + Focus Blast looks pretty scary to switch into. With Stealth Rock down, even Chansey gets 2HKOed by a Modest Specs Hoopa's Psyshock. Meanwhile, STAB Shadow Ball can pull off some impressive feats such as OHKOing tank Aegislash and 2HKOing Sylveon.

By the way hoopa gets to join the elite group of "pokemon who don't learn a single normal type attack by leveling up" along with weedle, ducklett and swanna.
Not only that, it learns nothing but Ghost and Psychic moves.

Minority

Numquam Vincar
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Base 70 speed is at an awkward point where its a little too slow to be running a Scarf, and yet is too fast to be effective on a Trick Room team. The speed wouldn't even be an issue if it had some physical bulk, but 80 / 60 is just terrible. 80 / 130 is pretty damn good special bulk though, but it's offset by two common 4x weaknesses. Its signature move isn't very special, is weak, and even worse suffers from non-existent PP. Magician is even worse than Pressure, and as of now the movepool is limited. With 150 base SpA slap some Specs on that thing and get it in for free on something slow, then watch the destruction. The problem is you get bitch slapped by Pursuit.

I hope the movepool opens up or something because as is this looks near impossible to use in Ubers, and probs not easy to use in OU.

I'm not gonna lie, I'm pretty psyched to try Hoopa out. Seems like it has decent potential with a scarf and trick, it can keep people guessing if you're gonna be physical, special, or mixed (though the first probably isn't a good idea with no STABs), and has excellent coverage

I'd also like to add that despite it having two x4 weaknesses, those are it's only weaknesses. Those are common types for sure, but it is something.

One final note: it does in fact get Skill Swap. So you can pass on Magician to your opponent and take a better ability.

I love how trolly gamefreak is about what ghosts don't learn will-o-wisp

Froslass is fast? Lets not give it will-o-wisp
Golurk and doublade have no guard? Lets not give them will-o-wisp
Hoopa kind of sucks? Lets not give it will-o-wisp

Hoopa's got Fling, Magician, and an okay attack stat. Coupled up with Thunder Wave and Taunt, and this thing looks like it'd be good at pissing people off, if nothing else.

Skill Swap isn't going to be very good happy-emo, its too slow to take advantage of any new abilities before it gets smacked. I'd rather just fire off a Shadow Ball and bail if I'm going to be switching in and out.

I can see this thing becoming a great Scarfer/Wall breaker with that outstanding 150 special attack. While the 70 speed is "meh" Hoopa will still be able to outspeed a good chunk of whatever tier its in. Also, Psychic and Ghosts STABs are both nice considering Ghost can now hit steel for 1x damage. The only thing that really is disappointing to me about Hoopa is its gimmicky ability in "Magician".

>Brick Break
>Focus Blast

Welp, thank you Jesus.

>No Wisp

Bye. Like, I have no doubt that they are just blatantly trolling him at this point. Whatever.

Honestly the Ghost weakness isn't even that bad because it destroys Aegi if it switches in anyway. Although it is of course checked greatly by it if it manages to come in on any move other than Shadow Ball. The really bad thing is that it dies to pretty much any Knock Off, Sucker Punch and Pursuit (which is especially terrible). Eh, it's still decent I guess.

Still gonna use him in UU <3

I really don't think the scarf set can be decent, but maybe someone can prove me wrong. If the opponent has a dark type pursuiter, you can't use scarf psychic/ghost moves until those things are dead. At best, you revenge kill something and you get pursuit trapped immediately after. The best you can get is a 1 for 1 trade (on something that probably didn't mind being killed at that point), a strategy that can ultimately bear no fruit. I can see scarf set putting in some work against teams that lack pusuiters, but praying the opponent doesn't have a bisharp or depending on spamming nonstab focus miss instead isn't worth it to me. Imo, sub + 3 attacks or the aforementioned trick room set might be more salvageable in OU.

Last edited:
Let's give this Pokemon a shitty defense stat and to make up for it, we won't give it Will O Wisp. Thanks Game Freak.

Just horrible... Being a ghost is nice, especially with that special attack... Then you realize it's also Psychic, the worst type in the game. Man what a waste. It gets the worst move of the 3, no will o wisp to patch its pathetic defense and is slow as hell... but wait for it.. not slow enough to be an effective Trick Room sweeper. But what really kills this thing is the 4x weakness to Dark. That is an instant killer in competitive battling. Singles i mean. It makes it weak to the best move in the game, the most used move in the game, the move every team has these days: Knock Off. Normally, Knock Off won't make you completely crappy(see Gengar or Aegislash) but this thing is 4x weak to it and has a horrendous base defense. This means this pokemon will never be a good defensive wall as even uninvested Knock Off will take it out(i need to check to see how much the weakest Knock Off does to it), but thanks to its crappy speed it can't effectively terrorize teams with it's immunities and special attack like gengar. This thing is easily the worst of the three. And that's saying a lot because Diance is one of the crappiest pokemon i've ever seen.

Ok, so I really like Hoopa, it's a shame others don't. But, I'll try to change your mind.
This post will be using Hoopa with a Specs set of Modest 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA [I was gonna do enough Speed EVs to outspeed 252+ Aegislash but Modes 252 is outspeed by ONE point >:I]

Here it is vs. S and A+ Rank Pokemon (Purely theorymon honestly!)
S Rank:
Aegislash
252+ SpA Choice Specs Hoopa Shadow Ball vs. 244 HP / 0 SpD Aegislash-Shield: 338-398 (104.9 - 123.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
Aegislash cannot switch into it and any set lacking Shadow Sneak will be beaten. Any set with Shadow Sneak however will crush Hoopa into the ground.
Usually loses against 1v1
Charizard (Mega-Y)
252+ SpA Choice Specs Hoopa Psyshock vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Charizard Y: 294-346 (98.6 - 116.1%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO
Ok, so get ready for a cool calculation:
252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Hoopa in Sun: 252-297 (69.2 - 81.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
Yeah, don't underestimate Hoopa's bulk. It will most likely win 1v1, however it cannot switch in, but really what can switch into Zard-Y?
Hoopa usually wins when 1v1.
Charizard (Mega-X)
252+ SpA Choice Specs Hoopa Shadow Ball vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Mega Charizard X: 274-324 (91.9 - 108.7%) -- 50% chance to OHKO
So Shadow Ball will OHKO 50% of the time,
252+ Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Dragon Claw vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Hoopa: 286-337 (78.5 - 92.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Dragon Claw will not be OHKO'ing (only 37% after SR), so Hoopa can safely OHKO it. However it cannot switch in. Flare Blitz also destroy it.
Pretty even fight 1v1.
Deoxys-S
lel Shadow Ball
And if you thought Hoopa wasn't bulky:
252 SpA Life Orb Deoxys-S Psycho Boost vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Hoopa: 95-113 (26 - 31%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
That's a fully invested 140 BP STAB move off of 95 SpA. Hoopa completely beats any set lacking Knock Off, which is becoming less common.
Beats any set lacking Knock Off.
Thundurus-I
252+ SpA Choice Specs Hoopa Psyshock vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Thundurus: 322-381 (107.3 - 127%) -- guaranteed OHKO
Meanwhile:
252 SpA Life Orb Thundurus Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Hoopa: 149-177 (40.9 - 48.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
+2 252 SpA Life Orb Thundurus Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Hoopa: 298-351 (81.8 - 96.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Not much wants to stomach +2 Thundurus, but yet Hoopa can! So yeah, only Physical sets can really beat Hoopa, however Hoopa will be far crippled by Thunderbolt at +2.
Pretty good matchup 1v1.

A Rank:
A+ Rank

Azumarill
252+ SpA Choice Specs Hoopa Psyshock vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Azumarill: 289-342 (71.5 - 84.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
If Azumarill has taken previous damage, then you got this. It's best to switch into CB Azumarill after it kills a weakened Pokemon:
252+ Atk Choice Band Huge Power Azumarill Aqua Jet vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Hoopa: 178-211 (48.9 - 57.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
It can take on BD ones however:
252+ SpA Choice Specs Hoopa Psyshock vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Azumarill: 289-342 (84.5 - 100%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
Also, it gets crippled by Trick.
Bisharp
Well, Focus Blast, but yeah pretty obvious.
Deoxys-D
252+ SpA Choice Specs Hoopa Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Deoxys-D: 320-378 (105.2 - 124.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
It downright OHKOes Deoxys-D, what else can do that besides Mega Heracross? (legit question because I don't know)
Garchomp
252+ SpA Choice Specs Hoopa Shadow Ball vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Garchomp: 274-324 (76.5 - 90.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
Massive damage and with a bit of prior damage it wins. Also:
252 Atk Garchomp Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Hoopa: 246-291 (67.5 - 79.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Outrage is not a OHKO either, so it actually has a bit of Physical bulk.
Greninja
252+ SpA Choice Specs Hoopa Shadow Ball vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Greninja: 159-187 (55.5 - 65.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
and well obviously Focus Blast OHKOes and Greninja OHKOes with Dark Pulse, however any set lacking it will not get through.
Gyarados (Mega)
Focus Blast is a clean OHKO, while
252+ Atk Mold Breaker Mega Gyarados Waterfall vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Hoopa: 246-291 (67.5 - 79.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Yeah, but M-Gyarados at +1 will destroy it as it does to everything else.
Heatran
252+ SpA Choice Specs Hoopa Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Heatran: 330-390 (85.4 - 101%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
#power
Lava Plume is absolute shit against Hoopa :].
Keldeo
Psyshock OHKOes it while:
252 SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Hoopa: 214-253 (58.7 - 69.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Also, when it is locked into Scald it is a safe switch in.
Kyurem-B
Focus Blast OHKOes obviously.
And
200+ SpA Life Orb Teravolt Kyurem-B Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Hoopa: 153-181 (42 - 49.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
Yay! It can also survive a Focus Bolt:
252 Atk Life Orb Teravolt Kyurem-B Fusion Bolt vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Hoopa: 260-307 (71.4 - 84.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Landorus-I
252+ SpA Choice Specs Hoopa Shadow Ball vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Landorus: 288-340 (90 - 106.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
OHKO with Shadow Ball and
252 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Landorus Earth Power vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Hoopa: 183-216 (50.2 - 59.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Yeah...
Mawile (Mega)
252+ SpA Choice Specs Hoopa Shadow Ball vs. 132 HP / 0 SpD Mega Mawile: 250-295 (91.2 - 107.6%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
Mega Mawile cannot switch into Hoopa, however Hoopa is OHKOed by all of M-Mawiles moves bar Fire Fang lel, but even +2 Fire Fang OHKOes.
Pinsir (Mega) back to s pls
252+ SpA Choice Specs Hoopa Shadow Ball vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Pinsir: 262-309 (96.6 - 114%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO
Quick Attack is a solid 3HKO lol, while Return is OHKO. +2 Quick Attack also does not OHKO.
Scizor (Mega)
252+ SpA Choice Specs Hoopa Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Mega Scizor: 238-282 (69.1 - 81.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
Yeah, Scizor-Mega is just wow.
252+ Atk Technician Mega Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Hoopa: 180-213 (49.4 - 58.5%) -- 98.8% chance to 2HKO
0+ Atk Technician Mega Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Hoopa: 153-180 (42 - 49.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
Talonflame
Shadow Ball OHKOes and top lel:
252+ Atk Life Orb Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Hoopa: 308-363 (84.6 - 99.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
CB isn't a guaranteed OHKO, but very likely.
Tyranitar (Mega)
This is shocking:
252+ SpA Choice Specs Hoopa Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Mega Tyranitar in Sand: 408-480 (100.9 - 118.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
It can OHKO Specially Defensive M-Ttar in Sand, without rocks! That's simply amazing. Stone Edge isn't a OHKO, while Crunch is, although Crunch is not common on DD sets.
Venusaur (Mega)
252+ SpA Choice Specs Hoopa Psyshock vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Venusaur: 300-354 (82.4 - 97.2%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
While in return Venusaur does absolute shit.

Tally
  • Pokemon OHKO'ed = 19 / 21
  • Pokemon that can safely switch into Hoopa = 0/21
  • Pokemon that Hoopa can safely switch into = 3/21 [lel]
  • Pokemon in lower ranks Hoopa is walled by = 0
Seriously, this thing is much stronger than expected by most. It can punch holes and a faster Spread + Sticky Web would cause serious damage. Of course it is held back by its Speed, but under Trick Room... It can cripple walls with Trick or just beat up everything with its flawless attacking options. Now before someone says "it doesn't get w-o-w it must be shit!", lemme just stop you, because it doesn't absolutely need it. It is not shit, Chansey is lacking Will-O-Wisp, but it is not shit. Here's a random comparison of Hoopa and Chansey's bulk btw (when invested)
0 Atk Mew Aqua Jet vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Hoopa: 29-35 (7.9 - 9.6%) -- possibly the worst move ever
0 Atk Mew Aqua Jet vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 39-46 (5.5 - 6.5%) -- possibly the worst move ever
But yeah, Hoopa is very powerful and hard to wall, and Sticky Web + Hoopa = recipe of success.
Wow I got ninja'd by three posts saying it was shit u,u

Those calculations are meaningless. Guess what Rampardos can do exactly the same thing but he isn't used because he's slow as hell and has a horrible defense. Hoopa has a worse typing, is slow and gets taken out by the weakest of Dark moves, the most popular attacking type, and Knock Off the most popular attacking move. Have fun trying to do anything to offensive teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)