How come most Youtube Wifi battles suck so much strategy-wise?

As stated. YouTube is more of a Theatre. Any 2 minute 6-0 Gyara sweep is boring. Why would anyone want to watch it? And not all battles recorded are put on YouTube. But I must agree (although I play more Wi-Fi than Shoddy, and am not amazing) that the better players are more easily found on Shoddy Battle. Then again, some of the most amazing Wi-Fi Battles (large tournaments, final 4, finals...) you dont want on youtube. Because then your opponents will know your Tournament team. There are many factors.

I had a GOOD battle with the actual champion of méxico, and im about to uploaded. it lasted 2 hours and a half xD... but obviously its FFW and edited.

i lost the battle but it was really good stategy-wise. but yeah most of the people upload wins, and most of the time they arent with good oponents.

I had a GOOD battle with the actual champion of méxico, and im about to uploaded. it lasted 2 hours and a half xD... but obviously its FFW and edited.

i lost the battle but it was really good stategy-wise. but yeah most of the people upload wins, and most of the time they arent with good oponents.
Please post a link, I would love to see that battle.

I have to commend Pulse, who has been one of the few people to speak out against a generalization of wifi battlers based on youtube videos.

As Obi stated, unless you want to record every battle and have a significant amount of hassle, you can only try and record the battles which you believe will turn out well - this is not always the case. That's why I hate "youtube battle requests" and the like. Some Youtubers upload for pure entertainment, and have little competitive value, while others just attempt to upload good battles. Most wifi battlers don't even upload to begin with.

Want me to let you in on a secret?

WiFi Battlers suck because they're not as competitive. Simple as that.

It has nothing to do with Availability - it has to do with most wifi battlers have no idea what they're doing at all. We can give them perfect IV Pokemon with Perfect Hidden Powers and they'd still don't know what they would do with it.

It has to do with a lack of experience and a lack of real competition. "Hard to train" is hardly an excuse, neither is "availability". No, Focus Sash isn't used more because there is less TTar, Focus Sash is used more because they have no idea what they're doing.
I had to bring this up, because for a supposedly knowledgeable member of this community (going by the badge) this statement is outrageous, not least because of it's incredible overgeneralization and lack of substance.

Wifi Battlers don't all "suck". Some of them do. Some shoddy battlers also suck. It's natural. So please, I don't think I have to elaborate any further on why that was a complete waste of a statement.

well, while I have to agree that most of the Wi-Fi battles on youtube are weak, most of Xerxes' battles are actually okay.

Completely agree with my friend Lyf here on your statement Tangerine, which is completely false. There are wifi noobs, there are shoddy noobs, you can't help it. The fact that the so called "good" people play shoddy more, is because they can do more battles in less time. But lets say someone like Dormin used to play wifi with D/P, and decided to move on to Shoddy for reputation's sake. If you're playing a REAL player, who has some skill, you're going to be seeing the same things you see on Shoddy because Pokesav exists.

Not all youtubers suck, but I think that most of the people would rather keep their team a secret rather than exposing it to all Youtube. IDK but I don't see what the big deal with Xerxes is tbh :S

OU gets old. Roulettes are a nice way to mix things up.
So is switching to a different tier of battle.

I personally find BL/UU more exciting than OU since you can't assume what your opponent has as easily.
The thing is, you don't have to learn a new metagame and everything along with it to do a roulette. The thing keeping most people away from a different tier is their laziness, from what I've seen. Even me. :S

Not all youtubers suck, but I think that most of the people would rather keep their team a secret rather than exposing it to all Youtube. IDK but I don't see what the big deal with Xerxes is tbh :S
He was just the first real big Youtube battler. People probably liked the fact that he narrated his battles (half decently!), and in the narration he actually gave you insight rather than "X Pokemon killed Y Pokemon with Z move." Plus, he could shoot off a joke or two and make people laugh.

Now let's just completely turn this thread into wifi vs Shoddy =|

Nice, I get a random mention! :toast:

I actually did play wifi once quite a while ago, but then realized how valuable Shoddy was as a tool for testing. The thing is....I never went back to wifi ~_^

Anyway, I think the suckiness you are referring to is, well, not necessarily that. The average player plays the game for fun, and also to win every once and a while (I should hope). Thus, for "fun's" sake, they aren't going to invest a ton of time coming up with complex strategies or ideas to outwit their opponents at every turn. Rather, they are going to choose the best and strongest pokemon there is, and show how "great" they are by displaying their best battles on youtube.

I just say it doesn't matter if they aren't bad or not--its just a few players having fun and enhancing it by showing other people. Though I admit there are a few who have more ego than their battles back up.

Once you get it up, I would really love to see it. Thanks.

The reason is because most of the people who on smogon are good at battling spend most of their time on shoddy finding real challenges. And most of the good battlers are older then 14 and have don't have time to be working with their webcams and editing them to fit in youtubes time limit.

or, the only battles posted on youtube are the ones which the posters win. the posters having relatively little skill, only win horrible matches. why put battles on youtube anyway?

im not saying that there arent good battles or battlers, but the good matches that ive seen on youtube are few in number.

But Xerxes............. seems to complain about hax a bit too much, and has a weird idea of probability, which sort of annoys me. .
ive always thought that. "oh his shuckle got a critical hit on knock off, well i guess that makes up for my metagross surviving with 1hp before". hehe.... maybe i exaggerated.

but i love watching xerxes' videos. and i never realised there were so many other good youtubers out there. i'll definitely be checking some of them (from the first page of this thread) out.

one day i will stop just breeding/collecting pokemon, and actually battle them. hopefully against someone who records their matches, so some of my pokes can becomes famous (even if its because they lost).

so...... does it bother anyone else that xerxes seems to think he looks good without a shirt on?

I may not be the most active smogonite (I lurk alot), but I find that recording battles is much more meaningful to over all strategy than just war stories and Shoddy.
Beyond visual flair of seeing the animations (in speed form) you have to review every move with your own eyes rather than just seeing the numbers. Like watching old sports footage. While playing alot of shoddy will teach alot of team building tatics and such (and I am by far the worst at throwing 6 random dudes and seeing what will happen) its a perfect world simulation, and that gets irratateing. Its a simulation of a game, with perfection in mind, while the game itself, alows alot of failures. Not perfect IVs. A good, not perfect, hidden power, even with the large number of people that use pokesav.

While there are alot of terrible....terrible videos out their, its a diffrent way to learn the game propperly, and that shouldnt be blamed for being the wrong way, just a diffrent way. [Learning style crap]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)