1. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.
  2. Welcome to Smeargle's Studio! Please be sure to review the studio rules.
  3. Want real-time art feedback? Want to meet YILX FIRST PLACE ARTIST? Come chat with us in the studio's IRC channel! Log onto #smeargle on SynIRC, or click this link to visit us via mibbit!
  4. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!

How do I get an Art badge? A Guide to Contributing Art to Smogon

Discussion in 'Smeargle's Studio' started by Zracknel, Sep 4, 2013.

1. Zracknel

Zracknel you're not even worth it
    is an Artistis a Super Moderator
    Art Co-Leader

Smogon is always in need of artists who are willing to lend a hand and volunteer artwork.

The art badge recognizes site contributors who have volunteered their time and effort in creating quality artwork for the site.

For ages, this badge has been shrouded in mystery and spoken of only in lore. Never before has there been a definitive guide or public set of parameters towards achieving this legendary postbit bling, but that ends today. I present: A Guide to Self-Masochism A Guide to Contributing Art to Smogon.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Part I: If you are a new artist

Maybe you are new to art, new to the site, or new to the internet. Maybe you're unsure if your artistic skills are up to par. Or maybe you just want to share artwork you've made elsewhere. Here's some things you can do to participate in the forum and get a feel for things.

You cannot get a badge for doing these, but they will allow you to get acquainted with the forum.

1. Read the rules.

Check 'em out!! They're right here.

2. Consider Posting an Art Thread

As long as you've got a minimum of three original pieces of artwork, you can post an art thread. From there on, as long as you post meaningful updates, you can pretty much post in your own thread as much as you want, whenever you want. Art threads are a good way to get feedback from other artists, especially if you ask for serious critique.

You can also get feedback from artists by asking in #smeargle, Smogon's art channel on IRC. Read this guide (with links on the left) for details about smogon's IRC community.

3. Consider Reading Some Tutorials

Smeargle's studio has a tutorial thread that contains tutorials made by our own artists. These can be useful resources if you're looking for advice to improve, or just want to see how some of our artists have done stuff.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Part II: If you have artistic experience

Ok. You've got artistic chops, and you're ready to contribute to the site and earn a badge. Here's how you do that!

1) The Smog

The Smog is smogon's very own e-zine that publishes out competitive pokemon articles on a monthly/bimonthly interval. The Smog is always looking for art help. Knowledge of competitive pokemon is helpful, but not necessary.

The Smog is not, however, a free-for-all. You need to audition a small portfolio in the smog's article approval sub-forum before you'll get the greenlight to illustrate for the magazine.

Read about how to make an application here.
    When you are ready, post your application in this forum.

For questions regarding art for the Smog, please post in this thread, or contact @Bummer.

Contribute a sufficient quantity (and quality) of artwork to the smog, and you'll be rewarded with an art badge! [​IMG]

2) Artwork for Tournaments

Create artwork for Smogon's tournaments in This thread.

Assignments and details about this project are listed in the thread. Knowledge of competitive pokemon is helpful, but not necessary.

For questions regarding Artwork for tournaments, please contact me. My name is @Zracknel.

Contribute a sufficient quantity (and quality) of artwork for smogon's tournaments, and you'll be rewarded with an art badge! [​IMG]

3) Art for Articles

Smogon has a number of competitive pokemon articles displayed on-site. You can read them here. To contribute artwork for articles, please check this thread out.

Just like The Smog, Art for Articles is not free-for-all, and you need to seek approval before you can begin contributing or placeholding articles.

Read about how to make an application here.
    When you are ready, post your application in this forum.

For questions regarding Art for Articles, please post in the thread (linked above) or contact @macle or Bummer.

Contribute a sufficient quantity (and quality) of artwork for smogon's articles, and you'll be rewarded with an art badge! [​IMG]

4) The CAP project

Smogon has a community-wide Create-A-Pokemon project in which competitive pokemon are made through a large-scale, community effort. Artwork is a part of that process. If you'd like to participate, read The CAP Mission Statement, then visit the CAP forum and read the stickied threads there.

5) Choose your destiny

Smogon's metagame forums have a ton of discussion threads. Some of them--especially ongoing or important discussions-- can greatly benefit from having artwork. If you read a thread for a project or important, ongoing discussion that you think is awesome and you want to do artwork for it, contact the thread owner for approval.

If you've done several quality pieces for ongoing or important discussions that have been approved, please contact me and let me know. My name is @Zracknel. Perusing the forums in a more general sense, you might come across something that you think could benefit from some artwork. I say: do it. When you've done it, let me know.

Lastly, you might want to start a community-wide awesome art project. You might figure out a new way Smogon can benefit from artwork. Do it. Sometimes it's good to operate through the proper channels and ask the right people for permission for things. Other times, it's better to seize initiative and make Smogon a better place without asking.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Part III: Cool stuff that is cool that you cannot get an art badge from (but is cool)

1) The Monthly Art Contest

Smeargle's studio's very own monthly art contest. Check it out here.

2) Other community projects

You might see these around! Browse smeargle's studio and keep an eye peeled for community projects. These are usually great fun to participate in :)

An example of one of these is our Annual Secret Santa project!

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Part IV: The Questioning

Questions about art badges? Comments? Concerns? Post 'em in this here thread! Or ask any of our studio moderation staff:
    @RitterCat
    @elcheeso
    @Zracknel

Thanks for reading!
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 16, 2014
  2. Bummer

Bummer Too quite.
    is an Artistis a Super Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributor
    Art Co-Leader

I'd also like to emphasis this. We're beginning to become a small group of regulars in there, so some new faces to mix up the crowd would be nice. If you've got art to either share or want advice on, it's just to bring it up as art is never off-topic. If you want a direct link to the channel, there's one right here: #smeargle

I can confirm this.
    Zracknel likes this.
  3. gust_r

gust_r

Needing updates...

Thread this was posted: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/introducing-the-cap-contributor-badge.3490672/
    Zracknel likes this.
  4. Zracknel

Art Co-Leader

5. Layell

Layell Alas poor Yorick, I knew him, Peter Gabriel too!
    is an Artistis a Forum Moderatoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnus
    Sprite Leader

Considering the badging of spriters for XY Sprite Project I have the requirements in the OP but for spriters to get the badge they must be:

6. TooMuchSugar

TooMuchSugar

Question:
    The Smeargle's Studio rules state that it's okay to post original music here as well as visual art. However, there doesn't seem to be any way to earn a badge by writing music, as I doubt that any of Smogon's articles are in need of a theme song. Am I just out of luck? That would be kinda disappointing, but I just don't see any way I could contribute to the site with music.
    Zebraiken likes this.
  7. Zracknel

Art Co-Leader

While smogon's articles might not need a theme song/background music, please consider posting your work here in this forum before getting in touch with Ace Emerald of Smogon's Youtube efforts. I believe it'd be possible to get a badge (either artist or social media) for musical efforts depending on how much you were able to contribute!
    Zebraiken, Sephirona and TooMuchSugar like this.
  8. Sephirona

Sephirona t-t-t-tubearrific. (✿≖ᴗ≖) ・゚✧*:・゚✧
    is an Artist

As Zracknel said, if you can get the music approved by Ace Emerald that would be really cool, especially since we can incorporate it into an intro for the casts. I was hoping I could show an intro before casts while streaming too, so that would rock xD
    Zebraiken and TooMuchSugar like this.
  9. Regime

Regime

Just wanted to let you know that since the Art4Articles reqs were changed, you might want to edit this. thanks

Bummer Edit: It has now been implemented.
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 16, 2014
  10. BPC

BPC

Hm,this seems fun.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)